• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I really wish Gran Turismo 6 was ported to PS4

We're into the fourth year of the PS4 and we still do not have a Gran Turismo title to play. I understand Gran Turismo Sport is on it's way, but that is still likely a holiday 2017 title. At first, it didn't bother me that GT6 was strictly a PS3 game. But after all this time, I really wish they had ported it to the PS4. I need my GT fix and PS3 is in a iffy condition.

Then I did something I shouldn't have done... gone to the community thread of GT6. Then it hits me that even a straight port, with no additional enhancements would have at least satiated my GT needs.

Being able to tear through Leguna Seca:
paczxc5.gif

Or take part in a rally or desert race:
gt6cc1_by_vspectra-d9bxrdd.gif

Or enjoy a quiet lap around The Ring/Silverstone/Bathursts with weather or ToD:
gtnurfogs2qkt.gif

This sense of speed:
https://youtu.be/vm-stTYFQXw

or this zen like drive during a day to night transition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQO6JHZl-Cs

I want these experiences on PS4. Sadly, they aren't available. The closest thing is Driveclub, which I own, but it doesn't scratch the itch that GT can. I really hope that if GTS needs another delay Sony would at least port GT6. I've been craving this and my only hope is that GTS later this year satisfies the cravings.

GT was my most played game on PS3. I miss those days.

All GIFs are courtesy of the GT6 OT, particularly SunhiLegend and Benzy: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=725281

FelipeMGM

yeah, I never got it why they didnt do it either. It should've been cross-gen or got a port/remaster a year after like TLoU

We're into the fourth year of the PS4 and we still do not have a Gran Turismo title to play. I understand Gran Turismo Sport is on it's way, but that is still likely a holiday 2017 title. At first, it didn't bother me that GT6 was strictly a PS3 game. But after all this time, I really wish they had ported it to the PS4. I need my GT fix and PS3 is in a iffy condition.

Then I did something I shouldn't have done... gone to the community thread of GT6. Then it hits me that even a straight port, with no additional enhancements would have at least satiated my GT needs.

Being able to tear through Leguna Seca:
paczxc5.gif

Or take part in a rally or desert race:
gt6cc1_by_vspectra-d9bxrdd.gif

Or enjoy a quiet lap around The Ring/Silverstone/Bathursts with weather or ToD:
gtnurfogs2qkt.gif

This sense of speed:
https://youtu.be/vm-stTYFQXw

or this zen like drive during a day to night transition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQO6JHZl-Cs

I want these experiences on PS4. Sadly, they aren't available. The closest thing is Driveclub, which I own, but it doesn't scratch the itch that GT can. I really hope that if GTS needs another delay Sony would at least port GT6. I've been craving this and my only hope is that GTS later this year satisfies the cravings.

GT was my most played game on PS3. I miss those days.

All GIFs are courtesy of the GT6 OT, particularly SunhiLegend and Benzy: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=725281

Project CARS has all the tracks you mentioned, dynamic lighting/day and night cycle and weather, and better physics. Though it doesn't have upgradeable cars and the controller support is shoddy.

23qwerty

a quick serviceable port for gt6 to Ps4 probably would have sold a few million at least, crazy that they didn't.

purely conjecture

Crayon

Project CARS has all the tracks you mentioned, dynamic lighting/day and night cycle and weather, and better physics. Though it doesn't have upgradeable cars and the controller support is shoddy.

I found project cars to be no replacement. Some nice features but the controller input ruins everything.

GT is still the only racing series I've ever gotten into. I've tried Forza but it doesn't scratch the same itch. There's something about the music and the polish that makes it really feel like it comes more from the cult of european motorsport than video games.

FelipeMGM

I think it's because they were advertising Driveclub as being the next big thing at the time.

Damn, that makes sense. But I gues when they figured it out DC was going to be delayed out of launch window, they should have put GT6 there

Driveclub is awesome btw

Drackhorn

I really appreciate the game for what it is but it's no Gran Turismo.

It's too late OP. Had PD not lured us with saying there will be a GT game very soon on the new console ...and then taking probably 4 years until its release, we all would have agreed with OP and said
"Hey, if it takes you 4 years, how about you give as an HD port within the first year of PS4". They could have outsourced the port as well. Might have been harder to find a studio to port a first party racing game, but I'm sure Sony would have found someone.

Now it's much too late and the licensing would be a nightmare as well AND they'd maybe lose some GTS sales too.

But GT6 still plays really nice if you set your PS3 to 720p, you get a good framerate. It's the only game I still have my PS3 around for.

Edit:
Looking at the day-night transition video doesn't do the game justice, look at this sunset:
from my poor-quality off-screen video a few months ago

and edit#2:
The "sense of speed" in OP is actually just very bad FOV that no serious sim-racer would put up with. But GT6 has options for that (hidden in the multi-screen options, set your single TV up as the server of triples and you can choose FOV and set it realistically)

I wouldn't mind it if they redo the graphics. I like the franchise, but I'm passing on GT Sport because I think it's going to be like Street Fighter V and I'm not into the competitive scene.

oni-link

As someone who's never played a GT game before, would you recommend picking 6 up for PS3? I've always avoided GT as I'm more of a fan of arcade racers

The only installment of GT I didn't get, Simply because of when it came out. I also didn't get Beyond 2 souls for the same reason. That eventually came to PS4 (still skipped it) I know which game I'd prefer to get the PS4 treatment

Its all part of the plan, make your audience crave your game for 4 years straight till about the breaking point. Then Release it and enjoy maximum profit and probably sell PS4s in the process.

jk

Gestault

With hindsight being 20/20, I think a PS4 GT6 conversion closer to launch would have been a much better move, both in terms of what audiences want and commercially. It was a big hole in the library, with a perfectly fine game waiting a generation back with assets that would mostly have held up as-is.

Project Cars has been a solid alternative (better overall than recent GT games in a lot of ways), though the controller support and car selection in GT6 is obviously a league ahead.

coastel

Yea I really don't see why they wouldn't think it's a good idea to. It would sell very well so it's not like it wont be profitable. Also they can outsource it to, I guess they don't like money.

shandy706

There's a reason I didn't bother to buy a PS4 till this past Holiday. (UC4 and Horizon finally pulled me in)

GT would have made it happen sooner. I played 5 for a few hours when it came out with a friend, and haven't touched GT since then. I found it completely behind compared to other sims and sim-lite games.

Fake Edit** Well I did go back and play 1/2 on my PC (with my OG discs) since they came out, but 5/6 were totally "meh" to me with other PC/Console options. 6 built specifically for PS4 would have been nice.

Schmitty

Totally agreed. I skipped it because it was right at the end of the generation and figured it would get ported eventually.

I thought Driveclub would help after all the praise it gets here, but it is a pretty mediocre game. Then Sport is said to be mostly online which I have no interest in, so it looks like it may be some time until I get a GT fix.

benzy

As someone who's never played a GT game before, would you recommend picking 6 up for PS3? I've always avoided GT as I'm more of a fan of arcade racers

Just wait for GT Sport if you have a PS4. Public Beta is happening this friday so the game should be pretty close to completion (I assume it'll be a summer release given the beta announcement). You're going to have to download and install a shit ton of updates and patches for GT6, and it's a pain in the ass.

ghibli99

If you mostly like arcade racers, you will likely not enjoy GT, particularly the later ones. It'd help to know what some of your favorite racing games are and what you enjoy most out of them.

It's kinda shocking that they didn't. Specially when Beyond and The Last of Us got a remaster.
Maybe Sony could only trust Bluepoint to handle it but they were busy,

My guess is that they didn't want to cut into driveclub, then driveclub got delayed a year, then driveclub bombed, and by then they had a pretty decent lineup and were doing well, and polyphony was probably full steam ahead with gt sport.

I think if driveclub had made launch gt6 would have been ported the following holiday.

RedSwirl

I think the problem was Yamauchi was afraid a GT6 PS4 port would go through so much feature creep that it would eventually evolve into GT7 and not get done for much longer than a quick port would take.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I still don't understand why it wasn't. I mean, I get why it was on PS3 and I thought it was good, but the hardware clearly couldn't support it. On top of that, the PS3 is a nightmare to use after getting used to the PS4.

Top Bottom