I SPEAK FOR ALL BLACK PEOPLE

Jun 7, 2004
23,038
0
0
40
Slick_Advanced said:
Because people from Caribbean are Caribbean not African. If you are white and born in the US you don't say I'm (for example) English-American. You say you are American. The first nation IMO assumes that you have a familarity with that nation/continent.
Yeah, I can see where it's bullshit but then again, our identity has been so construed, trampled, demonized, etc, that we have to hold onto something. In our past, we were giving far too many names with negative meaning. At no point before the late 1960s were we called anything close to being similar to 'American'. Negro was supposed to be better than Negroid which was supposed to be better than Nigger. Our history is lying at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. We were sold and stolen from our home countries, made an end run thru South America and the Carribean and ended up being slapped around in South Carolina for a few hundred years. So African American will go down in history as a 'special exemption'.

It was and still is a force and tool that we use to break free of all of our previous names. Coon, porch monkey, nigger, blackie, negroid, negro...all thrown away at a time when America, as a whole, still refused to accept us as American in action. We are now, American but still sometimes, only on paper. Either way, to me, it's not a stupid idea, when identity means so much to a race of people.
 
Jun 7, 2004
23,038
0
0
40
Ninja Scooter said:
Have you ever tried to tan? Can you get sunburn?
Haha, a girl from school asked me this a few years ago. I knew it wasn't malignant and I had to take into account that she was from not too far from Pittsburg..meaning Pittsburg is already a hick town and an hour outside of it is damn near Alabamian. Actually, I kid cuz when I spent some time out there, the people were the nicest people I've met in awhile. It was actually a shock to come back to all the assholes here in Philly.
 

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Jun 6, 2004
29,796
1
0
Canada
Truelize said:
I have a black friend here in Calgary and he just told me that Iginla is gonna resign with the Flames. He also said you must be getting your info from the wrong fried chicken outlet.

What's up with black people being so heavily associated with fried chicken?
Sorry dude, I thought your question was already answered, chicken being cheaper and all.
 
Jun 11, 2004
4,985
1
0
45
skinnyrattler said:
Yeah, I can see where it's bullshit but then again, our identity has been so construed, trampled, demonized, etc, that we have to hold onto something. In our past, we were giving far too many names with negative meaning. At no point before the late 1960s were we called anything close to being similar to 'American'. Negro was supposed to be better than Negroid which was supposed to be better than Nigger. Our history is lying at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. We were sold and stolen from our home countries, made an end run thru South America and the Carribean and ended up being slapped around in South Carolina for a few hundred years. So African American will go down in history as a 'special exemption'.

It was and still is a force and tool that we use to break free of all of our previous names. Coon, porch monkey, nigger, blackie, negroid, negro...all thrown away at a time when America, as a whole, still refused to accept us as American in action. We are now, American but still sometimes, only on paper. Either way, to me, it's not a stupid idea, when identity means so much to a race of people.
I totally agree with your well thought out point. However, I think that we have been spending time trying to equate ourselves to white people with finding an "identity" that is acceptable to them and us. I love being Black, there is power in Black, their is pride in Black, there is strength in Black. Maybe that's just how I was taught. Maybe, that's what I believe, that's what I know to be true. I don't have to add "American" to my identity ingrain myself into the White man's culture. Hell, I've been part of his culture for 400 years. I've farmed his fields, nuresd his children, tended to his mother, I've allowed him to live a life of luxury, I've given him a since of pride in being superior. Hell, if I'm not American no one is.
 
Jun 7, 2004
4,283
0
0
Cali
firex said:
Who's the best black leader: Frederick Douglass, W.E.B. DuBois or Martin Luther King, Jr.?
I would say MLK.Jr, Malcolm is considered one of them also. Malcom after his visit to Mecca his views were changed about (white)people so it gave us a better understanding of the world and that all (white)people are not the same.

Tupac also but he was a little conflicted, he was drawn to the fast life.

The other guys weren't really leaders, they were scholars.
 
Jun 11, 2004
4,985
1
0
45
firex said:
Who's the best black leader: Frederick Douglass, W.E.B. DuBois or Martin Luther King, Jr.?

Probably King. His Jesus like fostering of non-violent resistance is probably the catalyist for the most powerful revolution in the history of the planet. DuBois and Douglass simply worked within the world they were given. King actively attempted to change it.
 
Jun 8, 2004
27,924
8
1,520
Atlanta, GA
Slick_Advanced said:
I've farmed his fields, nuresd his children, tended to his mother, I've allowed him to live a life of luxury, I've given him a since of pride in being superior. Hell, if I'm not American no one is.
Those things don't make me an American. I'm an American because I believe in this country and its people and its potential. My past doesn't make me an American. The struggle made me who I am as a black man, but one can easily be a citizen of this country and not believe or want jack with respect to what the country stands for.

I am an African-American and Black. The two, in my mind, are not the same. I am of African heritage and American nationality - and that is who I am proud to be.
 

Dice

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2004
35,103
539
1,610
Why do black people have their own churches everywhere?

The battle for freedom from slavery and equality had strong religious influences in the way God created us, yet there is still such lack of unity in the church? I understand how this could happen in the south where ignorant dry-religion folk wouldn't treat you right, but my own state of Illinois has always been very progressive concerning racism and there are still black churches everywhere. My own church only has one black family, and they are really cool.
 
Jun 15, 2004
13,888
0
0
36
Which is the best black actor: Sidney Poitier, Morgan Freeman, or Denzel Washington?

And has there ever been a part of black culture that you wish white people would steal so you could get rid of it?
 
Jun 8, 2004
27,924
8
1,520
Atlanta, GA
Dice said:
Why do black people have their own churches everywhere?

The battle for freedom from slavery and equality had strong religious influences in the way God created us, yet there is still such lack of unity in the church? I understand how this could happen in the south where ignorant dry-religion folk wouldn't treat you right, but my own state of Illinois has always been very progressive concerning racism and there are still black churches everywhere. My own church only has one black family, and they are really cool.
Visit a black church and see if there are differences in the way worship is handled (99.9% sure there will be). This will be the answer to your question. Its almost like asking why there is R&B when there are white musicians that make slow music.

Heck you can ask any arbitrary Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, Catholic, etc. that same question.
 

Dice

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2004
35,103
539
1,610
Miguel said:
Do all blacks get cold really easily?

I was at work today and I had at least 4 co-workers come up to me and start bitching about how cold it was...all of them were of course.....male. Oh, and black.
I can tell you the answer to this is no. I've seen some around town (WALKING to their destination no less) wearing a t-shirt and shorts in the middle of winter with snow blowing around and all. And they looked fine too, no bitter expression on their face or anything.
 
Jun 8, 2004
27,924
8
1,520
Atlanta, GA
firex said:
Which is the best black actor: Sidney Poitier, Morgan Freeman, or Denzel Washington?

And has there ever been a part of black culture that you wish white people would steal so you could get rid of it?
I would personally say Morgan Freeman because he has such incredible stage and film presence. Rarely have I seen Freeman in a role where I just didn't believe he was the character he portrayed, and he has had to portray some very diverse characters. Sidney coming in right behind him.


Yes, black on black crime. You can have it.
 

Dice

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2004
35,103
539
1,610
Phoenix said:
Visit a black church and see if there are differences in the way worship is handled (99.9% sure there will be). This will be the answer to your question. Its almost like asking why there is R&B when there are white musicians that make slow music.

Heck you can ask any arbitrary Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, Catholic, etc. that same question.
Ok, I understand your first point and it's well noted, but denominations have much more serious reasons for being separate than different styles of worship.
 
Jun 8, 2004
27,924
8
1,520
Atlanta, GA
Dice said:
Ok, I understand your first point and it's well noted, but denominations have much more serious reasons for being separate than different styles of worship.

At the end of the day, not really. I would doubt seriously if a person in a Baptist church could even tell me the denominational differences between a Baptist church and a Methodist church. My mother is Methodist, my dad Baptist, and I grew up going to Catholic and Jesuit schools all my life so I've ended up experiencing them all. Very rarely outside of some of the ceremony of worship (particularly in the catholic church) is there a real pronounced, discussed, or recognizable difference.
 

Dice

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2004
35,103
539
1,610
Weird, I can tell you that's definitely not the case in my town. Maybe with the kids, but the parents know whats up for sure, especially with many churches having orientation/confirmation type classes if you want to be a member. But I dont want to derail this thread too much so I won't get into it, lol.
 
Jun 8, 2004
27,924
8
1,520
Atlanta, GA
Dice said:
This brings up another question, why are black people so groovin?
Now that is a good question :)

I don't even think I could compose a reasonable answer for it. According to psychologists, music that 'reaches' you is music that is in tune to your body's own rhythm. Perhaps that accounts for some of it.
 

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Jun 7, 2004
51,830
3
0
41
Tokyo, Japan
www.acemixes.com
Raxel said:
I've got a music related question. Considering the roots of blues music, why aren't there many black artists singing the blues in todays music? Are artists like B B King, Muddy Waters and so on irrelevant to the black youth of today?

I have two words for you... Bling Bling... Blues just doesn't have it.. Damn shame... Blues is a dying breed of music...
 
Jun 11, 2004
4,985
1
0
45
Phoenix said:
I am an African-American and Black. The two, in my mind, are not the same. I am of African heritage and American nationality - and that is who I am proud to be.
I agree but, the question is why is it us that has to our ethnic background tied to the obvious? There aren't any others that have to prefix their nation of origin to their current nationality. To me John Kerry's wife is more African-American than I could ever be.
 
Jun 11, 2004
4,985
1
0
45
Blackace said:
I have two words for you... Bling Bling... Blues just doesn't have it.. Damn shame... Blues is a dying breed of music...

Since the early 20th century American Black music has always been trend setters of popular culture in the US. That being said the tip of the spear in popular culture is Rap. I'm sure 40 or 50 years from now that some other form of music will be the standard bearer and someone will wonder why black's don't rap like they used to.
 
Jun 8, 2004
27,924
8
1,520
Atlanta, GA
Slick_Advanced said:
I agree but, the question is why is it us that has to our ethnic background tied to the obvious? There aren't any others that have to prefix their nation of origin to their current nationality. To me John Kerry's wife is more African-American than I could ever be.
Native-American
And though some people really don't even know what it means Anglo-Saxon British (though this term has become deprecated over the years just as native American and african american will be).
 

MIMIC

Why won't homeless people take my emails????????
Jun 11, 2004
50,047
0
0
33
To me, 'black' and 'African-American' are synonymous. I use 'black' when being informal, and 'African-American' when formal (usually).

Phoenix said:
Yes, black on black crime. You can have it.
lol.

(I was going to make a side comment, but it would have probably came off as kinda racist. :/)
 

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Jun 8, 2004
35,828
2
1,560
Most black people in the US are as "african american" as I am "dutch american", but I don't see any "dutch american" boxes to check on forms.
 
Jun 7, 2004
17,367
8
1,340
VA
www.twitch.tv
I don't think they're trying to be black, I just think they're into hip hop. It's not like black people are innately hip hop-ish. Whites/Asians sometimes dig the cullture and naturally they try to be a part of it, just like some blacks do.
 
Jun 7, 2004
17,297
1
0
An old roommate of mine was black. He ate chicken wings (Only wings) every night at around 2 am, went through toilet paper at an astonishing rate (I started saving the tubes, somewhere around 40 in 3 months), claimed to be homeless to get foodstamps, turned the heater on and up to 90 before going to bed, and invited every guest he had over to a nice cup of pudding. He also listened solely to a mix of Dona Summer and that goddamn Step In The Name of Love song. Are any of these quirks common amongst black people? I knew the chicken was such a stereotype, and I guess the cheapness posted above explains it, but I never actually thought it was true. Come to think of it, he also loved those damn fruit drinks.

Also I know there was just a huge discussion on this, but what do you think of the Confederate flag?