• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I SPEAK FOR ALL BLACK PEOPLE

Phoenix

The Shadow said:
Do you believe spinners are just another method that "the man" uses to bring the black race down?

Yes. The man has made a device that is shinny and spins at a rate that hypnotizes people. If you spin them backwards you will see the mans hidden message which is to convince more people to buy spinners. Note that spinners are absurdly expensive - this being the mans way of gathering any excess money that black men might have to otherwise further themselves.

:)

If I have a brownish mark on my neck... Can I claim that is my true skin color and the white is simply a birth defect? Do you think that would fly? Also, will the ladies then think my johnson is larger as a result?

COCKLES

being watched
If you had to save Denzel or The Wildcard from falling off the edge of a cliff.

Who would you choose?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
clipunderground said:
If I have a brownish mark on my neck... Can I claim that is my true skin color and the white is simply a birth defect? Do you think that would fly? Also, will the ladies then think my johnson is larger as a result?

Just say it's an inverse birth mark.

When a white person is rapping along to some song and the "n" bomb drops, is it racist for the white person to sing along, or should they just say "nephew" or something? Get all quiet?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Sirpopopop: I'm assuming that my mantle would pass to a positive black role model, such as Bill Cosby. Or Bill Cosby. Or the guy doing the voice over for Carl Johnson in GTA: San Andreas.

heavy liquid: You won't trick me, friend! Black people do not swim, as a rule.

Dopeyfish: I have a deep affection for chocolate chip, but not for any racial reasons - the sweetness of the chips combined with a soft, chewy dough makes for an excellent taste sensation. I'm also partial to oatmeal raisin.

Serafitia: This Howard Stern you speak of has been banned from Canadian radio for years now - I really have no frame of reference to deduce as to whether or not your accusation has merit. I will say this however: my name is Tim, not Tom, and none of my siblings has children. As such, your "Uncle Tom" assertion does not apply here.

heavyliquid: It all depends on the delivery - if the white person in question is trying to be sly in their question regarding "cotton-picking", then the black person is fully within their rights to go off. Quite frankly, however, sensitivity to these sorts of things in these PC times can be a bit over-the-top, and it's only with constant dialogue between the races that we can avoid these kinds of situations. For example, instead of calling a cheap person "niggardly", call them "A cheap motherfucker". That way any offense taken is not of a racial nature, and we can move forward together. If a black person, in reference to a particularly warm day, says to a white person, "I'm sweating like a slave", the white person should admonish the black person to be more culturally sensitive.

XS+: Larger hands and feet directly affect the size of gloves and shoes that you wear. That is what you're asking, isn't it?

The Shadow: Metal spinners on your vehicle are a matter of personal taste in the black community - what works for one person may not work for another. That's fine, we are a varied, distinct people and as such, are willing to accomodate different views when it comes to car accessories. If it's within your budget, by all means feel free to make your vehicle beautiful.

Plastic spinners, on the other hand, are fucking ridiculous. Especially on minivans.

Teh Hamburglar, Goreomedy: This is a very touchy issue in the black community, and one that usually lands between generational and educational divides. Older blacks (speaking generally) take the term "civil rights" extremely seriously, and find any attempt to appropriate it by gay-rights groups an extreme insult. Their rationale is that one is born with the colour of their skin programmed into the DNA, but that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice. Younger black males hold the idea of one's manhood quite dear, and see homosexuality (or tolerance thereof) as a direct threat. This is more common with young males of every stripe, but the civil rights issue is one that is more or less exclusive to the older black community. It's not seen as an issue of hypocrisy, because to them, homosexuality is a sinful choice, not part of one's genetics.

levious: I encourage dialogue and discussion between the races on a daily basis.

Mau_Mau

Banned
Do Canadian blacks even exist? I thought they were mythical beings that don't exist in reality - like unicorns, leprechauns, and Al Gore.

Oh, that was a good zing.

bishoptl said:
Teh Hamburglar, Goreomedy: This is a very touchy issue in the black community, and one that usually lands between generational and educational divides. Older blacks (speaking generally) take the term "civil rights" extremely seriously, and find any attempt to appropriate it by gay-rights groups an extreme insult. Their rationale is that one is born with the colour of their skin programmed into the DNA, but that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice. Younger black males hold the idea of one's manhood quite dear, and see homosexuality (or tolerance thereof) as a direct threat. This is more common with young males of every stripe, but the civil rights issue is one that is more or less exclusive to the older black community. It's not seen as an issue of hypocrisy, because to them, homosexuality is a sinful choice, not part of one's genetics.

Bingo. And even if it were/is a genetic condition. Older Blacks (the ones I tend to relate to from a moral standpoint) would still not see it as a Civil Rights issue. Civil Rights is a struggle uniquely related to oppression of the Black race.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Blackace: Jealousy, my friend. Out and out jealousy. Keep your head high, brother.

Cubsfan23: An ebook, frankly, doesn't provide the kind of instant rapport that I look for when dispensing advice. If you - or anyone, for that matter - need dating advice, feel free to contact me on IRC or start a thread here on OT. Title the subject line "Bish, this bitch is crazy! What do I do?" and I'll assist you as best I can.

clipunderground: As a member of a rock band, you have firsthand knowledge of what it's like to fight off the ladies. There's no need for you to use this birthmark as an attempt to claim Negroid status and increase your odds - that's just greedy, man. The question, however, is a legitimate one. If anyone else of Caucasian descent wants to use their birthmark in this manner, simply claim that you are an albino and the mark is "my body crying out to the world about who I am, deep inside". For best results, say this to a young lady with the lights down low, with your face set and determined, looking at the floor, fists clenched. She'll be all over you like a wet T-shirt.

Cockles: I would gladly sacrifice myself in order to save them both.

Synapse: Good question, but I see it as a burly black man trapped inside a white man trapped inside a black robot suit. More than that, I cannot say at this time.

Saint Cornelius: Having many white friends, I've experienced this firsthand on many occasions. For kicks, I'll put in Ice Cube's "Endangered Species" while driving to some destination, then start rapping along. When the "n" word first appears, however:

Peace? Don't make me laugh
All I hear is motherfuckers yelling succotash
Living large telling me to get out the game
I'm a nigger gotta live by the trigger

I'll whip my head around and glare at them to determine if they're gaining any enjoyment from the racial epithet. As they stumble, hem and haw, I'll suddenly grin and chuckle, allowing my white passenger to laugh nervously and ask if they can fast forward to something else.

I like the "nephew" thing, though. That's funny.

MASB

levious said:
you can't ban Ikeenu and then just try to step into his role
What was Ikeenu's username? I didn't notice him at the new forums.

To those asking what has bishop done for the black man: He has Famke Janssen for his avatar and is spreading her beauty around as a result. That's enough for a few days good deeds surely. :p

To Bishop: Does a significant percentage of black people hold to the creed: "The Lord loves a working man and don't trust Whitey!"?

Do you believe that comedy routines that play on black stereotypes are harmless jokes or do you feel that they have a harmful effect on people's ideas of other races?

If I have a black friend that refers to me as "brother", does that mean I've been accepted as a fellow black person despite my skin color? Does that black membership extend outside of that friendship or is it exclusive just to him?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The other day on the radio I heard the term "African-America" (not African-American) several times. I had never heard of this place before and was thusly intrigued by this land.

Have you ever been there? Is it nice? Where is it (It wasn't in my world atlas), and why the secrecy?

And also since I am American and you are a Black Canadian maybe we could team up and they would let us in together?

edit:
p.s. Speaking of Canada; What is the African American % population of Canada anyway?

DMczaf said:
Why do white people hate a black man as the lead character in a GTA game?

People have complained about this? I thought it was a nice change of pace from the standard stereotypical white guy main character.

levious said:

That's how it is viewed within the black community. The idea of Civil rights has expanded but, the idea of civil rights as we know it today in America has it's roots within the struggles of the black community during the 50s - and 60s.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
If you weren't surrounded by such juveniles, you would have known that what I meant was "Is it true that certain black men are simply out to make the rest look bad?" It's not your fault, we all have to deal with it. Canadians and their immature humor and their flapping heads.

I'm not going to name names, but Marlon and Shawn Wayans.

Bishop, I swear to god I hear Snoop once say he was going to stop dropping the "n" bomb and say "nephew" in its place. But then "shizzle" started and, well, you know how that turned out.

So if I was riding with you, and you put on "Endangered Species" (I hope you mean the superior remix off the "Ill at Will" ep), would you* be upset if I sang along, word-for-word?

*I know you don't really speak for the whole black community, as I have a good friend who happens to be black & doesn't like to hear that word come out of anyones' mouth, regardless of color - I just want to know how you feel

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I really hope most people are not narrow minded like that, and I'm not even talking about gay issues. Minorities in the US just cannot seem to come together much on these sorts of issues.

edit: oh, when I'm frying chicken, covered or uncovered?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Mau_Mau: I just pinched myself and felt pain. While this may not be deterministic enough for a general psychology class, it's proof enough for me that I exist, at least to the extent that I can answer your questions. Does that help?

AirBrian: According to the tenets of the Klan, one drop of black blood in one's family tree is enough to qualify one as a member of the Negro race. While the Klan and I do not see eye to eye on many issues, I have no problem with Colin Powell claiming status as a black male.

DMczaf: Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury - and that's all I'm going to say about that at this time. This particular horse has been beaten to death (and resulted in bannings, please refer to the "weeping Wendys" crack made earlier) and I'm sure we'll be revisiting it again once the game is released. Until then, however, I'm going to hold back.

DJ Demon J said:
Bish, do black people really like fried chicken and watermelon?

"I didn't know I liked chicken because I was genetically disposed... just thought it was because it's tasty & delicious!" - Dave Chappelle, horribly misquoted by whitey

Saint Cornelius said:
Bishop, I swear to god I hear Snoop once say he was going to stop dropping the "n" bomb and say "nephew" in its place. But then "shizzle" started and, well, you know how that turned out.

So if I was riding with you, and you put on "Endangered Species" (I hope you mean the superior remix off the "Ill at Will" ep), would you* be upset if I sang along, word-for-word?

*I know you don't really speak for the whole black community, as I have a good friend who happens to be black & doesn't like to hear that word come out of anyones' mouth, regardless of color - I just want to know how you feel

The extra zzz in words was not started by Snoop he borrowed the lingo from Too Short and E40.

I am one that looks at the word with general displeasure whenever it is used out in public. Just like anyother vulgar word. It shows a lack of class.

Lev you would be hard pressed to see any racial minority Blacks, Mexican, Chinesee, Tawianeese, Japanese, or Cuban equate their racial struggles with that of gays.

Slick_Advanced said:
The extra zzz in words was not started by Snoop he borrowed the lingo from Too Short and E40.

Oh, I should've known. E40 has all the dope slang. It's a shame that he makes up the cool phrases, but someone else makes them popular.

Slick_Advanced said:
I am one that looks at the word with general displeasure whenever it is used out in public. Just like anyother vulgar word. It shows a lack of class.

I hear ya. And now I have to say: whoa, you're black? :)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Aren't Dave Chapelle and Paul Mooney going to be pissed that you're copying their "Ask a black man" gig?

levious

Slick_Advanced said:
Lev you would be hard pressed to see any racial minority Blacks, Mexican, Chinesee, Tawianeese, Japanese, or Cuban equate their racial struggles with that of gays.

I said I wasn't talking about gay issues... but rather different races fighting amongst each other rather than banding together.

DMczaf

bishoptl said:
DMczaf: Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury - and that's all I'm going to say about that at this time. This particular horse has been beaten to death (and resulted in bannings, please refer to the "weeping Wendys" crack made earlier) and I'm sure we'll be revisiting it again once the game is released. Until then, however, I'm going to hold back.

gtasa.jpg

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Slick-Advanced, she disagrees with you:

csk.jpg

DMczaf said:
Why do white people hate a black man as the lead character in a GTA game?

Since Bish is understandably tired of the subject, here's a perspective:

Some white people are more comfortable with black personalities being limited to: running fast and throwing balls, cracking wise in sitcoms just barely removed from Vaudeville, or straining their widely recognized vocal talents.

When you put a black character into the role previously owned by another accepted stereotype (in this case, "romanticized" Italians perpetuating violence in the Grand Theft Auto universe), it can shock and ultimately intimidate them.

But realize, most white people are open enough to the change to give it a try, and will probably help this edition of GTA become the best-selling.

bishoptl said:
For example, instead of calling a cheap person "niggardly", call them "A cheap motherfucker". That way any offense taken is not of a racial nature, and we can move forward together. If a black person, in reference to a particularly warm day, says to a white person, "I'm sweating like a slave", the white person should admonish the black person to be more culturally sensitive.

Well said. And I try to refer to everyone as "motherfucker", anyway.

But seriously, while I think PC sensitivity has become over the top, it's probably for the best while we work to become one race of people. I find it hard to believe that people actually still refer to a cheap person as "niggardly" in this day and age, but I know it happens. Probably because I would never associate myself with the type of people who would use these sayings. And the sooner all of these racial terms are forgotten, the better. Thanks for taking my joke of a question, and actually turning it into a thoughtful response on race relationships.. \m/

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
MASB: As a rule, yes. As individuals? No.

The Shadow: Here's how I see it. I can live with movies such as "Soul Plane" and "White Chicks". Really, I can. What bothers me is when I see the ads for these movies promoted constantly, when other "black" movies that don't play on stereotypes strictly for laughs don't get the same pub or promotion. Everything in moderation - if the minstrel shows get the most play, people who don't interact with black people on a regular basis are going to get their ideas from movies and television, and I don't some guy thinking "Soul Plane" when he meets me for the first time, any more than an Italian guy would want me to assume he's a "Sopranos"-style goombah, or an Asian guy would want to be pigeonholed as a math geek.

Scola: the term "African-American" is bullshit. If you're Caribbean, it doesn't apply. If you're born in the States, it doesn't apply. The only people who should be calling themselves "African Americans" are Africans who are now American citizens...and that includes white Africans, as far as I'm concerned.

DJ Demon J: where the fuck have you been? The GTA: SA fight has been going on ever since the mouth-breathers found out the main character is black. As to your other question, fried chicken: yes. Watermelon: no.

Archaix: I don't see it as a matter of being out to make one's race look bad, but some are quick to sell out their dignity for the dollar. Make of that what you will.

Saint Cornelius: These ARE the lyrics, after all. But don't get too comfortable, tossing it around in public isn't kosher as far as I'm concerned. :p

Flynn: Don't tape yourself having sex with minor females, for starters.

Because "cracker" is silly and "n*****" has been a racial epithet since the beginning of time*?

If someone calls me a cracker, it certainly wouldn't offend me whatsoever! But call me "four eyes", and we're throwin' down... ;)

*not necessarily

levious said:
I said I wasn't talking about gay issues... but rather different races fighting amongst each other rather than banding together.

Oh that's simple. Pride and greed. Besides the one great truth is that no one wants to be equated to Blacks (not for real).

Scola: the term "African-American" is bullshit. If you're Caribbean, it doesn't apply. If you're born in the States, it doesn't apply. The only people who should be calling themselves "African Americans" are Africans who are now American citizens...and that includes white Africans, as far as I'm concerned.

So true. I don't know anyone who perfers that stupid label. Nor do I think I would really associate with someone who did.

levious

yeah, sadly, that's what I think it boils down to... Blacks in this country are the original inferior race, and all other minorities on some level wish to remain above them at all costs.

Oops, my bad, I guess native americans would be the originals.

karasu

Cracker was never used for years and years tin racial crime after racial crime. It just doesn't typically have the "weight" of what's been called the "N-bomb". "Cracker" & "honkey" don't even seem like real words. They seem like they're from some hyper universe where it's always 1972. Of course as with most anything else, if you're offended by it people should respect that.

bishoptl said:
DJ Demon J: where the fuck have you been? The GTA: SA fight has been going on ever since the mouth-breathers found out the main character is black. As to your other question, fried chicken: yes. Watermelon: no.

Wow, that makes me feel ashamed to be a white person (aside from some of the other more glaring reasons some fuckers always end up exemplifying).

Can you elaborate more on soul food?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
bishoptl said:
I wholey agree with you. But I wanted your opinion on the apparent genesis of the term "African-America". ;)

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
You probobly cant speak of all Blacks concerning this question,but whats general opinion about most classic european writers(late 18-early 20) who were considering blacks(and not only) a "lower" race,are they being appreciated/read by Blacks ?

SyNapSe

Bish,

Do you think Black people like me?

Do black people like to make Honey and Peanut Butter sandwiches (white or wheat)?

Top Bottom