• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I SPEAK FOR ALL BLACK PEOPLE

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Lyte Edge: When you people start paying me. :p

Border: Yes. Corny as fuck, but still within acceptable bounds of social behaviour.

MonkeyBoy: Awesome question, and I hope I can do justice to it. It's socially acceptable for a social group that's seen at a disadvantage to poke fun at the socially dominant group without the repercussions that would occur if the situation was reversed. So it's ok for:

- young schoolage males to sleep with their female teachers
- girls to wear T-shirts that say "guys suck/girls rule"
- black comedians to tell jokes about how white folks can't dance/sing/fuck/whatever

But if the situation was reversed:

- young schoolage female sleeping with their male teacher
- a guy walking around with a "guys rule/girls suck" T-shirt on
- white comedians busting on black people who put all their shit on layaway (think Down To Earth)

everybody would lose their fucking minds. I'm not saying it's right, just that socially, the dominant group is supposed to just laugh it off. Like Blacklion said, white guys don't need to jump if they own the damn team. :)

I'd also make the point that the word "nigger" holds a significantly larger amount of weight and negative history behind it than the word "cracker".

SyNapSe: I suggest you hold a poll, in regards to your likability AND the overall tastiness of peanut butter n honey sandwiches.

Fleming: I'm not sure what the question is, you'll have to explain a little more clearly.

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
I mean do you(or blacks in general) read book that are considered classics but written by racists(given they were written at least hundred years ago)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I want to know what the mainstream black media has beef with Spike Lee over... it's like they completely ignore him. I remember when Antwoine Fisher came out and all the local radio stations were pushing it saying, "we gotta go out and support our black directors," yet Spike Lee's 25th Hour had just come out too, no love for him.

XS+

Banned
bishoptl said:
the term "African-American" is bullshit. If you're Caribbean, it doesn't apply. If you're born in the States, it doesn't apply. The only people who should be calling themselves "African Americans" are Africans who are now American citizens...and that includes white Africans, as far as I'm concerned.
I'm sorry, how does it not apply if you're Caribbean? Black Caribs aren't from Africa?

Because people from Caribbean are Caribbean not African. If you are white and born in the US you don't say I'm (for example) English-American. You say you are American. The first nation IMO assumes that you have a familarity with that nation/continent.

XS+

Banned
Slick_Advanced said:
Because people from Caribbean are Caribbean not African. If you are white and born in the US you don't say I'm (for example) English-American. You say you are American. The first nation IMO assumes that you have a familarity with that nation/continent.
Well a lot of tags don't make sense (like black/white/yellow/red), why single out one?

And what's "familiarity" supposed to mean exactly? Will, say, a first-gen US-born Italian, raised by Italians from the homeland with traditional customs, have any familiarity based on whatever you're saying?

That I have an awareness of Africa. I may be black but, I'm quite sure my knowledge of Africa is about the same as yours. I don't know anything about the people, the culture, the languages, traditions, holidays there, etc. It is ridiculous to say just becasue I'm black that I'm African. I have no idea about the place.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
heavy liquid said:
Well said. And I try to refer to everyone as "motherfucker", anyway.

But seriously, while I think PC sensitivity has become over the top, it's probably for the best while we work to become one race of people. I find it hard to believe that people actually still refer to a cheap person as "niggardly" in this day and age, but I know it happens. Probably because I would never associate myself with the type of people who would use these sayings. And the sooner all of these racial terms are forgotten, the better. Thanks for taking my joke of a question, and actually turning it into a thoughtful response on race relationships.. \m/

Actually, believe it or not, this is one case where the PC business goes too far :p

Niggardly, or a Niggard, as a word, is believed to have it's roots in Scandanavian, and is unrelated entirely to the modern-day vulgar slang, just sheer co-incidence.

Freeburn.

Suerte

nadia.gif

How bout dem titties?!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
FIDDY: Chess and/or dominoes.

WasabiKing: I don't need your validation! :p

Fleming: Oh, ok. To answer your question, yes, I read books from Dead White Guys who may not have been the most enlightened folks on race relations. Ignorance in certain matters doesn't necessarily mean ignorance in all matters, and I'm willing to take what I can get from whoever I can to better myself. I would also take care not to lump all writers from a hundred years into a racist group - there were plenty of people back then who helped support the disenfranchised minorities all over America with their literature.

XS+: I hear what you're saying, but it makes little sense to lump all black people into an African-American catch-all when the vast majority have had little to no contact with Africa at all. If I moved to the States, it would make more sense to refer to myself as a Canadian-American, or Jamaican-Scottish-English-Canadian-American if you want to split hairs. "African-American" or worse, "Afro-Canadian" doesn't click with me at all. We've gone from nigger to Negro to colored to Black to African-American...pick something, already.

evil solrac: Because it's easier to dismiss legitimate beefs if you slap a label whoever is complaining. "Oh, he's just one of those angry black guys." Well, no shit. What do you expect when you refuse to listen?

Guzim: Denzel is present. All shall be well.

levious: Denzel was present. Oscar-winning Denzel. Spike's also burned a lot of bridges with people over the years. Still love the midget, though, for Do The Right Thing.

Matlock: Because while the differences between the Republicans and Democrats on a national level are negligible, there are some that really mean something to black people on an every day level. It's funny - at one time Democrats were seen as the party for the white establishment (Dixiecrats, if you will) while Republicans reached out to black Americans. Over the decades that's changed 180 degrees, and with good reason.

Suerte: How 'bout dem titties, indeed! A good pair can make the lame walk, the blind see, the gay straight...God bless the titties.

Phoenix

evil solrac v3.0 said:
i wanna know why black men are considered "angry" when railing against social inequality or whatever injustice is affecting them.

Wouldn't that be a question for someone other than the "black spokesperson" ? :)

Phoenix

Slick_Advanced said:
Neither-

Dominoes or Spades, Tunk for the gambling sorts.

This is the REAL answer. You'll rarely go to a house party and not find people playing Spades or Bid Wiz (same family as Euchere).

Phoenix

bishoptl said:
Scola: the term "African-American" is bullshit. If you're Caribbean, it doesn't apply. If you're born in the States, it doesn't apply. The only people who should be calling themselves "African Americans" are Africans who are now American citizens...and that includes white Africans, as far as I'm concerned.

Actually no. The term African-American is meant to describe 'descent'-nationality the same as Native-American is meant to describe those people native to this country who are now Americans.

MIMIC

Banned
MonkeyBoy said:
Why is it racist for white guys to say the "N" bomb to your friends, but not racist to say "cracker"?

Personally, I think both terms are racist; they both refer to specific races in an insulting way (although "nigga," over the years, transformed into a form of endearment among blacks). I would never call a white person a "cracker," and at the same time, I would not tolerate a white person calling me a "nigga."

The word "nigga" is associated with the derision of white people during slavery and the Civil Rights movement and, when used by a white person, was degrading. That's why the vast majority of blacks would take offence to being called that name by a white person.

I should have included Bid Wiz but, I see that as more of a midwest game much like Gin Rummy is a South game. Spades pretty much is common throughout all Black card playing homes. Now then the rules that they play by can differ.

I'm a Joker, Joker, Ace, King player and I refuse to play Joker, Joker, Duce

Would you be willing to partake in reparations if there was a likelihood of increasing racial tensions for years to come?

I know you're Canadian but you did say you speak for "all black people". :)

Leon

How much do you regret not being able to go on vacation, come back home and have whiter people asking you where you got your tan?

What would happen if a Hollywood movie with a black star did not have a hip-hop soundtrack for it?

I'm an arab. Do you like me or do you hate me more than before?

I have hispanic friends that call each other nigga, I've also heard a few Asian guys call each other nigga. When I hear it, it actually makes me want to laugh because the word has become multi cultural in a way. To be honest it doesn't bother me, but they know not to use it around strangers.

Hip Hop has in a way changed the outlook in America, actually N.W.A brought it to the forefront of hip hop and it went on to spread across America especially after the release Dr. Dre's the Chronic and later Snoop Doggs DoggyStyle LP.

Nigger, will never be excepted. I draw the line there, that word can make enemies become friends in a split second.

Everybody really no matter what race your just wanna eat, sleep, and shit. Throw some work, sex, videogames, and a few parties, some club visits, and a occasional visit to the movie theater in there and your good to go.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
The Shadow: While the lure of free money (as well as the opportunity to scream "I'M RICH, BEEYOTCH" out my window) is tempting, I don't think reparations are necessary. Of course, there's already tons of racial tension in the States, so maybe we wouldn't be risking that much. :p

Leon: Constant exposure to the sun weathers the skin - a tan isn't worth it to me. Your second question - Man On Fire didn't have a hip-hop soundtrack, and the world is still turning. I have no feelings on your Arab heritage one way or the other, you're just a guy on a messageboard asking questions. I'll judge you by your words and actions, not your race.

Spike Spiegel: It's a three way tie between Spawn, Bishop of the X-Men, and the Black Panther. Power Man is just a glorified bodyguard.

evil ways: If they put on a show worthy of their "best of seven" from WCW, we're all winners...but I'll be cheering based on their booking up until that point. Based on current WWE events, I'd be pulling for Benoit.

bishoptl said:
The Shadow: While the lure of free money (as well as the opportunity to scream "I'M RICH, BEEYOTCH" out my window) is tempting, I don't think reparations are necessary. Of course, there's already tons of racial tension in the States, so maybe we wouldn't be risking that much. :p

Short of the tin foil hatters Blacks don't really care about reperations. Just knowing that is sends whites in to a bloodlust is quite humorous so we bring up every so often just to pissed them off. It's funny really.

Diablos

Bish -

Why do white people love Wayne Brady so much?
Can black people rise up and overcome?
Why does everyone try to be black?

Leon said:
How much do you regret not being able to go on vacation, come back home and have whiter people asking you where you got your tan?

What would happen if a Hollywood movie with a black star did not have a hip-hop soundtrack for it?

I'm an arab. Do you like me or do you hate me more than before?

The first question is funny, I can't imagine answering a question about having a tan.

I could care less, I'm more interested in the story than the music. It really depends on the movie.

My feelings about Arabs hasn't changed at all, never disliked or hated Arabs at all. I never generalize, I'm from Compton, California, but I'm so clean that the Sheriff has to conjure up reasons for pulling me over.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Diablos said:
Bish -

Why do white people love Wayne Brady so much?
Can black people rise up and overcome?
Why does everyone try to be black?
He is clean cut and non-threatening. Shit, I dunno - this isn't "Ask A White Guy".
Sure. It's going to take a lot of time, but progress is being made.
Because we're cool like that. Don't you want to be cool? Killing the Pumpkins isn't cool, Diablos.

Why the infatuation with women that have a big backyard?

What is "Soul food" exactly? What's the history of the term?

Do you think people should have a tag to denote race in an anonymous internet environment to alleviate confusion? For example, it was shocking, even horrifying when it was revealed that posters such as Orin and Ripclaw are in fact black.

Matlock said:
Why are black men automatically attracted to white women with red hair?
you know, that is a god damn good question... i'm not even sure why!
i think it has something to do with red being the color of passion...

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I have a black friend here in Calgary and he just told me that Iginla is gonna resign with the Flames. He also said you must be getting your info from the wrong fried chicken outlet.

What's up with black people being so heavily associated with fried chicken?

Top Bottom