• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I SPEAK FOR ALL BLACK PEOPLE

Freeburn said:
Actually, believe it or not, this is one case where the PC business goes too far :p

Niggardly, or a Niggard, as a word, is believed to have it's roots in Scandanavian, and is unrelated entirely to the modern-day vulgar slang, just sheer co-incidence.

Wow, so it is!

Niggardly, of course, means "miserly" or "stingy". The first written record we have of its use is from 1530 but the noun niggard, "miser", has been around much longer, having been used by Geoffrey Chaucer in 1374. Middle English also used nig for a miser or stingy person. All these words have their venerable, if unpronounceable, origin in the Old Norse hnøggr, "stingy", "niggardly" although there was a related Old English word hneaw, "stingy".

Still, I don't think I would ever use the word because of it's obvious connotation, and not everyone is aware (as I wasn't) of the word's roots.

Ok, three questions....

1) I'm a little over 7 inches. If I wanted to hook up with a hot black woman, do you think that's enough?

2) When I was younger (13-15), all my friends were black. It got to the point that they were calling me nigger (as in "yo nigga, what's up!?"), and I could say the same, without anyone being offended. Was that racial harmany, or just stupid teenagers misusing a term?

3) Do you agree with Charlie Murphy, in the Wesley Snipes is the darkest man on the planet? Either way, I certainly think he was born to play Blade.

The Promised One said:
2) When I was younger (13-15), all my friends were black. It got to the point that they were calling me nigger (as in "yo nigga, what's up!?"), and I could say the same, without anyone being offended. Was that racial harmany, or just stupid teenagers misusing a term?

The latter. That is the same as you hanging out with your buddies and calling each other nimrod.

andthebeatgoeson

bishoptl said:
Teh Hamburglar: Yes. While the overall effect varies based on the skin colour, everyone from the lightest Nicole Richie to the darkest Yaphet Kotto is capable of blushing. The physical reaction has nothing to do with the amount of melanin in the skin.
Uh, Nicole Richie? Isn't she adopted? She really is white and just likes to flirt around with the idea of being black.

Dilbert

This has seriously been an insightful thread. Seriously. Props to Bish (and Phoenix and the others who have chimed in) for coming up with some great answers.

A couple of questions:

1) When you see a white guy with a shaved head, do you make any assumptions about whether or not he is a racist? (I've had some bad experiences.)

2) What part of the "black experience" is the hardest to explain to other people?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
-jinx- said:
This has seriously been an insightful thread. Seriously. Props to Bish (and Phoenix and the others who have chimed in) for coming up with some great answers.

A couple of questions:

1) When you see a white guy with a shaved head, do you make any assumptions about whether or not he is a racist? (I've had some bad experiences.)

2) What part of the "black experience" is the hardest to explain to other people?

I will do my best to fill in for Bish for the time being...

1) Nope... only if he has or is: a) a Swastika anywhere on his body b) Kickig my ass for no reason. or c) wearing white bed sheets with the pillowcase and is burning a cross. Anyone who does assume a bald headed white guy is racist..is well racist...

2) Being shit on because of your color... You cannot explain how that feels to people until they experience it first hand. Worldwide brothers from North America have a hurdle to overcome, due to racism, second hand stereotypes, and friendly media shows like cops. Of course there are other things...but I couldn't explain them to you... :)

-jinx- said:

A couple of questions:

1) regardless of their head or not, if i see a white guy i look him over to see if i think he is racist... just last week i sat down on a really long park bench about 8 feet from this old white guy... he gave me a cold stare, like the "HOW DARE YOU SIT ON THE SAME BENCH AS ME" type of stare, does that 'throat clearing' ~HMPH~ noise, got up with his food he was eating and walked way across the park to another bench to sit down... then a young white guy who was also there says to me "what's up with that guy?"... to which i reply, "i have no idea"...

2) probably how the above story makes me feel...

Rushmore

Why are there no black dudes in space? (Except for the ones who are killed within five minutes of their initial appearance)

ShadowRed

Banned
firex said:
Why are there no good black fantasy/sci-fi movies?

Oh shit a question I can answer. First of all good is a subjective term, what I think is good may not be what others think of as good. Second blacks in literature just as blacks in every other field, with the exception of sports and entertainment, have been marginalized or just plain not acknowledged as it doesn't fit into the stereotype that the majority wants put out about blacks, mainly that we are illiterate and incapable of speculative fiction. I am aware that in recent history blacks have been allowed to flourish in the sports and entertainment sector. Anyhow just like with people who bemoan that there is no good music out now a days, if you cared to do something other than look at the top 40 charts for "good music" you would probably find a lot of good stuff out. The same is true about black Sci-fi, you have to do a little, make that a lot of searching to find some black sci-fi. I would highly suggest checking out books by Walter Mosley and Octavia Butler.

EDIT: FUCK I just reread the post and it said Sci-fi movies not Sci-fi. Anyhow I'm so far ahead of the curve I'm preemptively answering questions that whites might have. I'm the black Professor X.

Phoenix

-jinx- said:

A couple of questions:

No. I've known plent of white guys who just wanted to have their head shaved that weren't racist that I never assumed anything. Then again I also went to a majority white high school so I might tend to be a little less 'culture struck' than others.

I wouldn't call it hard to explain as I would call it hard to get people to understand. Many people think that black people should just think that the world to us should seem equal and happy and stuff and explaining to them why we don't and that the world is still very much biased against black people is somewhat difficult. That's not to say that the man is holding us down, but there are plenty of scandals where a black person being hung is called a suicide, a company like Texaco will get caught saying that they want to keep black people out of upper level management, and black people being beaten/shot/killed in Cali, Chicago, and New York that remind us that things still aren't equal as much as some of us would like to believe that they are.

Diablos

bishoptl said:
He is clean cut and non-threatening. Shit, I dunno - this isn't "Ask A White Guy".
Sure. It's going to take a lot of time, but progress is being made.
Because we're cool like that. Don't you want to be cool? Killing the Pumpkins isn't cool, Diablos.

God dammit I didn't kill the Pumpkins :mad:

Heezzi

Banned
Rushmore said:
Why are there no black dudes in space? (Except for the ones who are killed within five minutes of their initial appearance)

You must've forgot about Homeboys in Outerspace.
HB96001.jpg

SUCKAAAAAA!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Rushmore said:
I stand corrected. And is that you pretending to be Booker T. in your avatar? Nice.
There is another movie, but the title is probably not appropriate.

Bish,
"I'm Black and I'm proud!": do you "Say it loud!"?

Leon

Um, let me abuse the privilege here. I want to speak to Bishop the mod and not Bishop the black man.

I wasn't following everything very closely, so this may have been asked a thousand times before. Where the hell is the :lol emoticon and why don't we have one anymore?

Chicken cost less than beef, turkey, fish, duck, shrimp, and lobster. I can go to the market right now and get 15 chicken legs for under 5 dollars.

The hardest experience to explain to me is the reason why so many are incarcerated.

As for white guys with shaven heads, you can tell by their clothing. Also, how they react in your presence if their racist.

lordmrw

Blackace said:
I will do my best to fill in for Bish for the time being...

2) Being shit on because of your color... You cannot explain how that feels to people until they experience it first hand. Worldwide brothers from North America have a hurdle to overcome, due to racism, second hand stereotypes, and friendly media shows like cops. Of course there are other things...but I couldn't explain them to you... :)

That one sums it up the best. There are alot of people that don't want to believe that half the stuff that happens to me on a daily basis is because I'm black. Its frustrating, because they have this idea that just because it doesn't happen to them it isn't real. Stuff like being followed around in a store, being harassed by cops 3 or 4 times a day, people immediately grabbing their purses tighter when I walk by or step in an elevator, etc. really sucks, and I've learned to accept it, but to have someone act like I'm making it up really hurts.

Slo

This may come off as insensitive and ignorant, but I'm asking in all seriousness and with the best of intentions. I'd genuinely like an answer, so please don't be offended.

At what point is it appropriate to just "get over" the whole slavery issue? History is peppered with injustices, the Egyptians enslaving the Jews, American settlers murdering and stealing land from the natives, Germany invading all of Europe, etc, etc. At some point it's got to become water under the bridge, right? Once everyone involved in an incident is dead and burried, shouldn't the healing process begin? Are we talking 500 years before the issues can be considered closed? 1000?

As a young white guy that's obviously never owned slaves, I feel no guilt over the slavery issue. For one, I had no relatives in America during that period, and even if I did I should not be punished for the sins of my ancestors. I find it very peculiar that black people who have never been slaves (since no actual slaves are living) could claim to feel effected by what happened 100+ years ago. Is it simply that not enough time has passed, or does some action have to be triggered for the issue to be resolved?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
-jinx- said:

I just assume they're compensating for hair loss... white or black.

Phoenix

Slo said:
This may come off as insensitive and ignorant, but I'm asking in all seriousness and with the best of intentions. I'd genuinely like an answer, so please don't be offended.

At what point is it appropriate to just "get over" the whole slavery issue? History is peppered with injustices, the Egyptians enslaving the Jews, American settlers murdering and stealing land from the natives, Germany invading all of Europe, etc, etc. At some point it's got to become water under the bridge, right? Once everyone involved in an incident is dead and burried, shouldn't the healing process begin? Are we talking 500 years before the issues can be considered closed? 1000?

As a young white guy that's obviously never owned slaves, I feel no guilt over the slavery issue. For one, I had no relatives in America during that period, and even if I did I should not be punished for the sins of my ancestors. I find it very peculiar that black people who have never been slaves (since no actual slaves are living) could claim to feel effected by what happened 100+ years ago. Is it simply that not enough time has passed, or does some action have to be triggered for the issue to be resolved?

Its always easier to get over something when the government responsible acknowledges that it did something wrong, apologizes for that wrong, and works to repair that wrong. We're still kinda stuck at that first part.

Phoenix

Rushmore said:

What are you talking about, there have been black dudes FROM space!

B00009Y3N0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
^^^

I actually saw that in the movie theater back in the 80's.

Blackace

Slo said:

Who said the healing process hasn't begun... With this being said... my father, 67 years old, is the Grandson of Slaves... so we are not that far removed... no slaves are alive but the sons and daughters of slaves are... We cannot simply forget get and move on... like the Jews cannot, the native Americans, the Japanese (WWII), the Chinese (WWII because of the Japanese) and so on... History can and will teach people something if they let it (History Major plug) . However young man with that being said clinging onto the anger and blaming others for our problems is no way to move forward...

I, myself, don't blame white people for anything that has happened in my life... and I don't respect anyone who does blame all their problems on another race (aka Hilter) But to completely forget about what has been done within the last 150 years would set the world up for the exact same mistakes.... hope that helps you...

OG_Original Gamer said:
I have hispanic friends that call each other nigga, I've also heard a few Asian guys call each other nigga. When I hear it, it actually makes me want to laugh because the word has become multi cultural in a way. To be honest it doesn't bother me, but they know not to use it around strangers.

Hip Hop has in a way changed the outlook in America, actually N.W.A brought it to the forefront of hip hop and it went on to spread across America especially after the release Dr. Dre's the Chronic and later Snoop Doggs DoggyStyle LP.

Nigger, will never be excepted. I draw the line there, that word can make enemies become friends in a split second.

Everybody really no matter what race your just wanna eat, sleep, and shit. Throw some work, sex, videogames, and a few parties, some club visits, and a occasional visit to the movie theater in there and your good to go.

There was a very good documentary on Trio (is that the channel?) discussing a lot of these issues last week. Chuck D was hosting and this was one of his personal picks. I was going to ask if Bishoptl has saw that special and that's what prompted this thread. I normally stay out of these threads but I have to admit that the discourse has been somewhat interesting. As a personal note I choose not to discuss matters of race, religion, politics, gender or sexual orientation at work and especially in message boards due to being limited to sound bites. I'd much rather have the conversations face to face but I digress.

If you can, catch the repeat because it took not only a cross section of opinions from entertainers, historians, and pundits (e.g. Ice Cube, Chris Rock, Sam Jackson, Paul Mooney, George Carlin, Whoopi Golberg, and a slew of others). A lot of those questions posed here were discussed.

And in all honesty I'm really surpised how tame this thread has been...in this forum of all places. O.K. now I'm butting out, but I had to break my cardinal rule to pass along this info.

Later...........

;)

TaleSynz

bishoptl said:
Teh Hamburglar: Yes. While the overall effect varies based on the skin colour, everyone from the lightest Nicole Richie to the darkest Yaphet Kotto is capable of blushing. The physical reaction has nothing to do with the amount of melanin in the skin.

Raoul Duke, Archaix: like all races, penis size varies among members of the Negroid race. While stories about black male genitalia are legend, I suggest you satisfy your curiousity by walking up to the next black guy you see and demanding that he drop his pants. Let me know how it turns out.

If Nichole Ritchie is black then Women are gonna start playing O line in the NFL.

Blackace said:
We cannot simply forget get and move on... like the Jews cannot, the native Americans, the Japanese (WWII), the Chinese (WWII because of the Japanese) and so on... History can and will teach people something if they let it (History Major plug) . However young man with that being said clinging onto the anger and blaming others for our problems is no way to move forward...

Well said. I also believe that holding on to anger is no way to move forward. And what's the quote? "Those who forget the past, are doomed to repeat it." Obviously, all of these things must never be forgotten.

bishoptl said:
clipunderground: As a member of a rock band, you have firsthand knowledge of what it's like to fight off the ladies. There's no need for you to use this birthmark as an attempt to claim Negroid status and increase your odds - that's just greedy, man. The question, however, is a legitimate one. If anyone else of Caucasian descent wants to use their birthmark in this manner, simply claim that you are an albino and the mark is "my body crying out to the world about who I am, deep inside". For best results, say this to a young lady with the lights down low, with your face set and determined, looking at the floor, fists clenched. She'll be all over you like a wet T-shirt.

lol. Mod of the year this man is!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Alright, day number 2!

The Promised One: If you have game, you can hook up with any woman you like. Except the lesbians - those are some seriously tough nuts to crack. I know this from personal experience.

Kids being kids.

Wesley Snipes is blacker than the back of Forrest Whittaker's neck. Blacker than Whoopi Goldberg's lips. Blacker than coal in a black hole. He is BLACK.

jinx: Nope, I know too many white guys with shaved heads to get all riled up when I see one. If somebody's got a problem with you, it's fairly easy to pick up on it, hair or no hair.

The hardest part of the black experience to explain? Honestly, how it feels to be judged/pigeonholed by mainstream (read: white) society before I can even open my mouth. There you go, distilled into its purest essence.

Rushmore, firex: Well, Pitch Black was pretty good. Vin Diesel's got some black in him, so that qualifies.

Warm Machine: It's impossible to calculate a racial average of vaginal cavities - the variance is just too high. It's more accurate to state that larger women are more apt to house a larger "area" than a smaller one (again, this does not take into account such variables as frequency of sexual activity, Kegel exercises, etc). Since there are fatties in all races and cultures, targeting one race as the home of the "empty corridor" is a fallacy.

On the other hand, you may just have a small penis.

scola: Every day, my friend. Every day.

Leon: Drinky Crow develops a nervous tic in his eye whenever he sees posts consisting only of the
lol.gif
icon, and we'd like to reduce his stress level as much as possible, especially now that he's a new father. So no :lol for you, unless you want to go the trouble of hosting your own image and hotlinking it.

Mike_Works: NHL 2K4 was programmed by a WHITE MAN. Who kept me down despite pouring 88 shots against that punk Dwayne Rolosson. You're getting punched in the face next time I see you, motherfucker.

Vagabond: There you go.

Slo: Phoenix and Blackace summarized it pretty well. It'd be a lot easier to get over the various issues you mentioned if the races were equal and treating each other with respect, but that still isn't the case. And as long as there are daily slights against a person based on the colour of their skin, or religion, or whatever, that constant reminder won't let us get over it. I'm not demanding reparations (unless I feel like winding somebody up) or pointing my finger in the face of every white person I see, but the United States and many European countries benefitted greatly from the slave trade, and those repercussions are still felt today.

Diablos: When 50 Cent says "us", he's referring to herpes-laden groupies. Big tittied, herpes-laden groupies who will perform such acts backstage as to make a grown man cry.

Blackace

bishoptl said:
Alright, day number 2!

Wesley Snipes is blacker than the back of Forrest Whittaker's neck. Blacker than Whoopi Goldberg's lips. Blacker than coal in a black hole. He is BLACK.

Diablos: When 50 Cent says "us", he's referring to herpes-laden groupies. Big tittied, herpes-laden groupies who will perform such acts backstage as to make a grown man cry.

1# Darkness is coming!!!!

2# Comic gold!!!!

Top Bottom