• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I spend hours reading about games and don't play them anymore

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Xrenity said:
Really though, I only play handhelds and the AAA titles.

Zelda: Twilight Princess really got me hooked again though. Awesome game, and can't wait for Mario galaxy and assassin's creed.
I find the not so great games are the ones that keep me going. For example, after FF12, playing the original Phantasy Star is damn near refreshing.

Also, I gotta thank Scarlet's Summer of FF thread, which really got me back full swing into playing games, new and old. Vid capping is really fun!

stalker said:
I've made two New Year's resolutions for 2007:

- quit smoking
- reduce reading GAF from 15 to 2 hours a week

QFT my new years resolution is to adjust my [GAF and reading about gaming internet stuff] to [gaming ratio] to 1:5 instead of the 2:1 its at now and quit smoking!

Orobi

Same thing happens to me :| I spend most of my free time reading about games but I play them not more than 1 or 2 times at month...

Tieno

Seeing as I can only game in the weekend (and now can't game for two months till febuary until exams are over) I spent time on GAF as a subsititute. When I do have the ability to play games, forum time drops drastically. Both Gears of War and Viva Pinata waiting at home :(

tnw

Banned
I've never played a MMPORG, but I compare GAF to civilization. That 'oh just one more thread' addiction is kinda similar.

I used to spend my freetime at work reading the newspaper and doing other constructive things. GAF has brought that down to zero now, and I don't even play new video games.

Rimshot

I got to say i feel kinda the same as the thread creator. Not that i spend all my time reading on gaf, but that i follow game development intensly and never really play the games.

I follow games i am interested in, people recomend, i buy them when they are out, i put them in the console. Then after an hour or two my head feels all muddy, i put the game on the shelf and go do other stuff. Then they stay on the shelf forever and ever.

I guess my several years of playing mmorpgs in the past has removed my interests in singleplayer games as one hardly feel like it's worth to read text in a game, and end up skipping through it if there is no voice acting. Which is horrible of me.. :/

The DS + castlevania/ouendan is probably the only thing i can play nowdays without getting that muddy feeling.

I really need to get back to console gaming >.< Feels horrible having the next gen consoles in a line infront of the tv but not feeling up to play any of the games to them.

I had this problem recently. Then I started working on my old game collection again, and remembered how fun it is not only to collect all those old classic games, but also play them! The games of the past restored my love for games.

Odysseus said:
Odysseus may cry. I don't think I like this Devil May Cry game I found sitting on my shelf.

Man, tell me about it.

I bought Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition about a month ago now because it was on special offer and reduced to 20 Euros.

It's still sat on the shelf in the shrink wrapping.

No matter how much my friends urge me to play it I still can't drum up the enthusiasm to try it...

SpinningBirdKick said:
Man, tell me about it.

I bought Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition about a month ago now because it was on special offer and reduced to 20 Euros.

It's still sat on the shelf in the shrink wrapping.

No matter how much my friends urge me to play it I still can't drum up the enthusiasm to try it...

Well, if you want to miss out on the combat system that every single next-gen action game, including DMC4, will be held to, I guess I can't stop you...

SpinningBirdKick said:
I'm pretty much in the same position as you, I'm a games info junkie.

A friend sent me a link to a new games news site today and damn! It rules!

I can read on that site in a few minutes what used to take hours hunting down elsewhere online.

I haven't seen it posted elsewhere yet, so I guess it's pretty new.

The link is http://www.gameboar.com

LOL! Nerd.

*bookmarks site*

Odysseus

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Well, if you want to miss out on the combat system that every single next-gen action game, including DMC4, will be held to, I guess I can't stop you...

I can't say anything about 3, but DMC1 so far has me mashing that one combat button, jumping from time to time, and searching fruitlessly for the block function.

Odysseus said:
I can't say anything about 3, but DMC1 so far has me mashing that one combat button, jumping from time to time, and searching fruitlessly for the block function.

Stop playing it defensively and learn the juggle system and shooting mechanics (easy to forget that DMC is both a close action and shooter) as much as possible and remember it predates and influenced all the it's follow-ups in DMC, God of War, and Ninja Gaiden that refined and changed up the formula years later. The single sword button has a healthy number of moves to mix and match because of the juggle system, some depending on the timing of your presses.

Even in DMC3 it's a much more offensive based action compared to Ninja Gaiden and God of War.

Odysseus

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Stop playing it defensively and learn the juggle system and shooting mechanics (easy to forget that DMC is both a close action and shooter) as much as possible and remember it predates and influenced all the it's follow-ups in DMC, God of War, and Ninja Gaiden that refined and changed up the formula years later.

Even in DMC3 it's a much more offensive based action compared to Ninja Gaiden and God of War.

I was really hoping to play the entire game without firing a gun at all. I just want to be a ninjer.

with the game information drought over the holiday break i had a some time to catch up on some much needed gaming.

i've mostly been playing:-

zoo keeper (ds)
42 all time classics (ds)
new super mario bros (ds)

these have been ideal for sneaking a few minutes here and there between the usual hectic 'family stuff'.

seems strange considering what great titles there's been to choose from over this year but '42 all time classics' for the ds just might be my game of the gear :lol

has anyone else rediscovered their gaming passion over the holidays and what titles were you playing?

Fady K

This thread is something I always thought of back in the days. I used to have this problem where I keep reading about games, checking GAF a little too much, then realizing - shit, i forgot to play anything this week. These days, i just spend less time and force my ass out of the chair, otherwise id never finish anything. The rule for me is - once i check GAF, then theres no checkin it again for the whole day - cause the world keeps going round and round, and so will GAF, entertaining nevertheless.

To poster - try to get off this habit, believe me, a lot of good games await :D I would never finish FFXII if i spent as much time as I wanted on GAF. Peace!

Dazzyman

Hehe Ive done the same. Finally got authorised for GAF (took about a month!) come on here and what happened all this week I downloaded games like GTHD and Tekken (and finally start on GOW) and I end up instead with my head stuck behind a 3.5" lcd screen on camera dumping loads of pics on here and by the time Ive finished I go sleepy :lol Ive got a stack of games to play (Rainbow 6, Viva Pinata, Motorstorm and thats the tip) and Ive been too busy messing. My dads forcing me to link up with GOW today so I might manage to take a back seat for a few days.

Yeah... it has been the same for me. Nowadays I only play PES 4 for PS2, Europa Universalis 2 or some RTS LAN gaming and some smash hits like Gears of War.

The problem is that I have to buy all the consoles and I only want 2 or 3 games for them, after reading this thread I'm having the urge of buying a DS lite with NSMB :(, and I know I will have to buy the PSP just for FF7:CC. So I guess my problem is the money and that I should spend more time reading books instead of GAF.

Dazzyman

Dont you feel it gets infectious though, I never used to do this, then I did it heavily on other forums (was moderator on a couple) then I had a massive coma so stopped (no not related :lol ) but last few months its been creeping back to me again. Ive always had a habit of reading on game forums and the "must buy it" afterwards (this week because of GAF its been a Wii and F1 on PS3) and something like lost planet what doesnt intrest me now has me tempted and Ive stlll yet to open my christmas stuff :lol

Part of my problem is that I often have 1 or 2 hour chunks of time in between other stuff where I COULD play games but feel it's not worth it. Like I need ideally a 4 hour free slot to really bother. So I just browse the internet, even if I don't find much interesting I just keep looking. It's rather sad.

Tadaima

I read GAF a few hours a day, catch up with all the daily news and weekly sales, and spend my dayjob working in the industry.

Other than Wii, I haven't really played a game for probably.. half a year.

GAF.. What have you done? :(

Top Bottom