• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I still don't understand Cerny's explanation of fan noise on menu screen (cooling)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Anyone with a pro or ps4 can try this right now in cod warzone. the menu screen as you wait in the lobby or make changes to your weapons makes the fan go insanely loud. i have to quit out and sit on the title screen to bring the fan down.

same issue in horizon and gow maps.

i think its poor optimization. what this is going to do is easily tell devs which activities cause the temps to go up so they can optimize. something as simple as map screens and menus should not be heating up the gpu that much. cod has 3d models in the background, they went super fancy with 3d menus without realizing how it kills the gpu temperatures.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Basically this is what i thought of.

But i don't get why Mark Sony had to use this example. Seems out of scope and i dont hear of console games suffering for this.

Confusing thing to talk about ... what's is he trying to say?

I hear people complain about fan noise on menu screens (on this very board) all the time.

So I think he is trying to illustrate the inconsistencies in the current cooling solutions and their power consumption waste. Hell, I hear PC cards wind up like a banshee all the time in initial game booting and menus.

Last edited:
Top Bottom