• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I talked to Reggie today about VC, GoldenEye, Nunchuk bundles, Update Post #203

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Hey there GAF,

I just posted a write-up of an interview with Reggie Fils-Aime that I conducted earlier today in New York. I pulled a number of my questions from stuff I've seen you guys wondering about here on GAF. So thanks for the assist! Check out the answers in the article linked here:

http://www.mtv.com/news/?source=TLD_mtvnews.com#/news/articles/1546730/20061128/index.jhtml

Some highlights for you below, though there's plenty more at the link including his grumbles about IGN reviews...

-Stephen Totilo
MTV News
stephentotilo.com

"Are we feeling good about our success? Do we think we can have more success in the future? Absolutely," he said during a stuffed 40-minute interview with MTV News in a hotel just south of New York's Central Park. "I do think that highlights a difference between us and our competitors: We're not arrogant. We don't view success as a right. We feel we need to earn success every day. And we're going to do that by being true to the gamer."

And for people who want more of an adventure to sink their teeth into once March passes? "Of the next batch of Nintendo releases, 'Metroid' is going to be next on that list," he said. And "Super Mario Galaxy"? Fils-Aime said to expect it any time between the end of March and next Christmas.

He fielded every question, even if he couldn't always give a rosy answer. People want Wii controllers bundled with nunchucks? If people start buying them in a one-to-one ratio, Nintendo would consider offering a bundle. Is there a DVD-playing Wii coming to the U.S. any time soon? "The answer is no." Will third parties start using the Miis — Wii player avatars — in their games? Fils-Aime said developers outside Nintendo now have the ability to drop them into their games as well, but ,"Is there anything I've seen? No." Does he think the Reggie Mii his colleagues at Nintendo made looks like him? "The one they made had more of a scowl than the one I made."

Some gamers are panting for the Wii to offer online play. Where's that? "The first online game will be 'Pokemon Battle Revolution' in Japan, so that is certainly a candidate in the U.S." He said there are other unannounced online titles in development. "For the consumer who is saying, 'Gosh, when is Nintendo going to get on board with online play?' The answer is very early in 2007."

Naturally, then, the mammoth Nintendo 64 hit "GoldenEye" would be worth it even though the game's developer is now owned by Microsoft and the James Bond license was recently snatched up by Activision? "Would I love to see it on virtual console? Absolutely. But there are a lot of issues there." He made it sound like there's a chance. "Suffice it to say we would love to see it, so we're exploring all the rights issues."

If GoldenEye ever gets on the VC service I think it'd be a real candidate to be the most downloaded game ... in NA and Europe anyway.

As for Mario Galaxy, I don't care if it comes next spring or next fall ... as long as Super Paper Mario is in there somewhere. Super Paper Mario in May and then Mario Galaxy in October or November (I think November would be set aside for Smash Bros. though) would be fine with me.

masud

Banned
stephentotilo said:
And for people who want more of an adventure to sink their teeth into once March passes? "Of the next batch of Nintendo releases, 'Metroid' is going to be next on that list," he said. And "Super Mario Galaxy"? Fils-Aime said to expect it any time between the end of March and next Christmas.
There are no words.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
And where is Super Paper Mario and Fire Emblem :(

Fire Emblem USUALLY takes about 6 months to bring over. We'll probably see it in October.

Super Paper Mario, if it still exists, could be a late spring or early summer release.

I guess there's SSBB next year too, so maybe it'll work:

April: MP3
June: SPM
August: SMG
October: FEGOD
November: SSBB

Does anyone know if it would be possible for third parties to take Mii data and create something similar looking? For example, having a character in EA's Sims Wii game resemble your Mii, but stay in the game's blocky art style?

Isn't Super Paper Mario basically done? I understand it may take a few months to add some Wiimote stuff and they may want another extra few months to polish/expand the game further ... but even with that a May 2007 for Super Paper Mario seems more than adequete amount of development time.

There shouldn't be pressure on the Mario Galaxy to rush the game onto market if it's not ready. I cannot see both Mario Galaxy and Super Paper Mario being fall 2007 titles.

castle007

Banned
Fils-Aime said the company is still planning to release about 30 titles by the end of the calendar year. That's about 20 fewer than Nintendo is releasing in Japan, which Fils-Aime said is because some games "may make perfect sense in Japan but we don't think in our marketplace have a lot of potential."

:|

Fils-Aime hyped an upcoming baseball game from 2K Sports as a perfect title for the Wii controller and said that "Godfather" Wii from EA is "very interesting."

So, is one of these games, the game that Matt is talking about?? :lol

Gigglepoo

I'm still guessing Mario and Banjo will come out next Summer and compete for the greatest platformer of all time title, only to lose to Super Mario World.

Mario in July
Smash in November

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
And "Super Mario Galaxy"? Fils-Aime said to expect it any time between the end of March and next Christmas.

So similar to the "Expect TP in April 2006 at the earliest". I don't mind waiting, of course. Considering Nintendo's only had a year and half of development so far, any extra time to make a better game is welcome by me.

Just hope SPM arrives sometime soon.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AniHawk said:
Fire Emblem USUALLY takes about 6 months to bring over. We'll probably see it in October.

Super Paper Mario, if it still exists, could be a late spring or early summer release.

I guess there's SSBB next year too, so maybe it'll work:

April: MP3
June: SPM
August: SMG
October: FEGOD
November: SSBB

I'd like that schedule. It keeps SMG and Brawl from cannabilizing eachother's sales. SPM might suffer a bit though...

I'm pretty sure Nintendo worked out a deal with EA to be able to sell SimCity on the VC, since EA now owns the SimCity franchise.

Maybe they could pull off something similar with Activision for GoldenEye. There may of course be issues of who actually owns the game code/engine though, and also with Pierce Brosnan's likeness.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Mario may not be out until next Christmas? Shit.

I suppose the console may see a price drop by then, but still, shit.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
I dont get it.. SMG played beautifully at E306, 7 months ago. The engine looked superb. All they need to do is add the content. I was hoping it was due for an early 07 release, after all the 'at launch' rumors. I hope to hell theyre not setting the release date solely to pad an anorexic lineup next year. Get your big guns out early in the lifespan, Nintendo. Otherwise nobody will care how good the waggle is. Mario needs to be out sooner, rather than later. They have an advantage relative to the PS3, in that theres esentially 0 learning curve with the hardware- theyve been using it for the past 7 years. Take advantage of that and get the damn games out.

I guess that means Christmas release for Mario. Shitty.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I wrote a really long reply to amirox in that VC price thread and it was closed before I hit reply.

Anger.

Yeah, the writing has been on the wall for a while now.

There will be a major drought of software in mid-2007. I'd be upset, but it's pretty par for the course for any new console.

Besides, my 360 will certainly keep me warm during the cold months.

kirbutashi said:
Does anyone know if it would be possible for third parties to take Mii data and create something similar looking? For example, having a character in EA's Sims Wii game resemble your Mii, but stay in the game's blocky art style?

Don't see why not. I'd imagine all there is to a Mii is a file with a set of variables. If you can plug that into another character creation routine you could have, for example, a realistic Mii that's created by reading the variables you've chosen. It might be tricky to get it working well, but I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done.

Slurpy said:
I dont get it.. SMG played beautifully at E306, 7 months ago. The engine looked superb. All they need to do is add the content. I was hoping it was due for an early 07 release, after all the 'at launch' rumors. I hope to hell theyre not setting the release date solely to pad an anorexic lineup next year. Get your big guns out early in the lifespan, Nintendo. Otherwise nobody will care how good the waggle is. Mario needs to be out sooner, rather than later.

I think it's the opposite. Nintendo needs to be more careful with the Mario/Zelda/Mario Kart franchises IMO.

If those games are not AAA quality with a extra layer or two of polish, they should not ship them just to hit a certain sales window.

They have a perfectly good Mario game in Super Paper Mario that can slide in for a spring release if they really want it to. I agree they can't have a drought again, but it doesn't neccessarily mean they should rush Super Mario Galaxy.

Metroid Prime 3 and Super Paper Mario plus something like Wii Music or Wii Aerobics in April + May is a good way to kick off Q2.

Even though Mario Galaxy looked smooth at E3 ... I'm concerned that there may be depth issues with that game. Mario games need to have a big diversity in environments and polish all throughout the game ... something Super Mario Sunshine failed at.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
From late March to Christmas? What a weird ass range to say in an interview.

"Sometime next year." BAM, done.

Acosta

Fils-Aime said the company is still planning to release about 30 titles by the end of the calendar year. That's about 20 fewer than Nintendo is releasing in Japan, which Fils-Aime said is because some games "may make perfect sense in Japan but we don't think in our marketplace have a lot of potential."

Japanese Wii for me confirmed.

madara

"We don't view success as a right. We feel we need to earn success every day. And we're going to do that by being true to the gamer. We illustrated this by not offering
basic necessiates like s-video cables, setting back gaming a decade or two. " :)

Dang that seems like cube all over again, more reason not buy one till Fall 07 as I'm sure even Metroid before May is not something anyone that really knows Nintendo would want bet anything considerable on.

thefro

soundwave05 said:
I'm pretty sure Nintendo worked out a deal with EA to be able to sell SimCity on the VC, since EA now owns the SimCity franchise.

Maybe they could pull off something similar with Activision for GoldenEye. There may of course be issues of who actually owns the game code/engine though, and also with Pierce Brosnan's likeness.

It would have to be a Nintendo/Rare (Microsoft)/Activision three-way deal, from my understanding.

I don't like the Rare sale any longer to be honest. Yeah they're slow in making games, but they've picked up the pace (PD0 + Kameo last fall, Viva Pinata this fall, Banjo-Threeie next fall?) and the virtual console issues would've been a lot easier to iron out.

masud

Banned
All I know is that either Metroid or Mario better be comming out in March. Does Reggie honestly believe that Wii play and Wario are going to hold us over for the first quater of 07? Christ Nintendo.

Avutta1978 said:
i guess. in between, we get Project hammer and Day of Disaster
Maybe. But we have no idea when those games arecomming out. And what about Battalion wars? You'd think Reggie would have mentioned those games.

Monk

Banned
Thanks for the interview. Thought one problem with the site, if i click in the box and try pressing the down arrow to scroll what i am reading, it doesnt work. >_< If possible please fix. I am so used to using the down arrow to scroll, it is kinda disorienting to have to use the gui.

may make perfect sense in Japan but we don't think in our marketplace have a lot of potential.

another downside of viewing these games as "new releases" and managing them as if they were retail games? :-\

Is it really that huge of an investment to throw up some more games on the service? Who cares if they get "overlooked". They're getting overlooked right now by sitting on some old developer's computer somewhere, lol

There are two truths about GOldeneye 64:

1. If it comes to Virtual Console, it comes to XBLA
2. It better ****ing have a fixed frame rate if it comes to either.

mollipen

Fils-Aime said the company is still planning to release about 30 titles by the end of the calendar year. That's about 20 fewer than Nintendo is releasing in Japan, which Fils-Aime said is because some games "may make perfect sense in Japan but we don't think in our marketplace have a lot of potential.

This answer is 100% BS, and it pisses me off that they would even say it. There are NO stock issues with virtual stores, meaning a game could sell five copies and still be profitable. If you're talking about games that need translation, then yes, it could be a game that isn't worth bringing over here. But then I think of something like Legend of Kage, which I haven't seen show up being listed for US release yet, or Yie Ar Kung Fu over on the XBLA side. There is no logical reason those games should not also be in the U.S. marketplace.

You can't use "it might not sell well over here" as an excuse anymore, guys, because the argument of shelf space, cost to produce physical media, etc. are all gone.

Tiktaalik

The only thing that can save us from a drought is if unknowns like Project Hammer and Battalion Wars Wii turn out to be pleasant surprises.

TheKingsCrown said:
There are two truths about GOldeneye 64:

1. If it comes to Virtual Console, it comes to XBLA
2. It better ****ing have a fixed frame rate if it comes to either.

Not neccessarily. Nintendo was the one that bought the license for the game, Rare was just contracted to work on the game under Nintendo.

So it's very possible they own the game code for GoldenEye itself. There might be issues with Activision wanting a cut of the sales and the likeness of actors and what not.

Top Bottom