• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I talked to Reggie today about VC, GoldenEye, Nunchuk bundles, Update Post #203

It really is a shame that DANJAQ/EON would not renew their Bond license with Nintendo. I know they probably figured "If GoldenEye can sell 7 million on the N64 ... surely it could sell ... 21 million on the N64 + PSX" .... but look at where the franchise ended up now ... ugh.

I really think GoldenEye the game was almost as big as GoldenEye the movie in terms of introducing a new generation of younger teens/kids to the Bond franchise. My friends knew who Bond was, but after playing GoldenEye for hours, they'd also watch the Bond marathons on TNT/TBS and got to know characters like Jaws and what not.

disco

How is Wario, Metroid, Mario and Smash in a year a drought? I had a Gamecube, i'm fine with that!
None of you play games anyway, you all just post about them here - well, that's me anyways.

jonezer4

Does Reggie like repeating questions to himself before answering, like someone on a phone in a television show where you can't hear the other person? Yes.

mugwhump said:
If neither SMG, MP3, or SSBB are delayed until 2008, I will eat my socks.

I don't really see any of them being delayed. They've all been in development for a long time and they're all being worked on by teams doing basically nothing else. The funny thing is not one of these projects is being done by the central EAD studio.

Branduil

soundwave05 said:
I don't really see any of them being delayed. They've all been in development for a long time and they're all being worked on by teams doing basically nothing else. The funny thing is not one of these projects is being done by the central EAD studio.

What is EAD doing right now?

Branduil said:
What is EAD doing right now?

From Mr. Miyamoto's comments/what's been said in the past ...

Wii Motor Sports
Wii Music
Mii Channel Stuff (Mii Space?)
Animal Crossing 24/7
Some Type of game where you pass the controller around (Wii Party?)

And DS stuff ... which I imagine includes Nintendogs 2 and New Super Mario Bros. 2. No way does Nintendo not make a sequel to either one of these games.

I think Miyamoto also cryptically mentioned that he thought a Star Fox Wii game would be great with online play (co-pilots) ... so maybe EAD is taking back Star Fox for the Wii.

I would also assume that Mario Kart Wii and the next Zelda are already under development at EAD.

soundwave05 said:
I think Miyamoto also cryptically mentioned that he thought a Star Fox Wii game would be great with online play (co-pilots) ... so maybe EAD is taking back Star Fox for the Wii.

Please, please, please let this be true!! After the failures that are Adventures and Assault, I hope Nintendo does their best to get the Starfox series back on track.

AirBrian

sp0rsk said:
What is the christmas bonus for miis thing about? I can't see the interview cause im at work.
This?

MTV said:
Fils-Aime confirmed that Wiis connected to the Internet will automatically download surprise bonus material from Nintendo, but he wouldn't detail what kind of unexpected messages or channels might pop up. "I'd hate to ruin the surprise. Is there activity that we're working on for before the holidays? The answer is yes."

shidoshi said:
This answer is 100% BS, and it pisses me off that they would even say it. There are NO stock issues with virtual stores, meaning a game could sell five copies and still be profitable. If you're talking about games that need translation, then yes, it could be a game that isn't worth bringing over here. But then I think of something like Legend of Kage, which I haven't seen show up being listed for US release yet, or Yie Ar Kung Fu over on the XBLA side. There is no logical reason those games should not also be in the U.S. marketplace.

You can't use "it might not sell well over here" as an excuse anymore, guys, because the argument of shelf space, cost to produce physical media, etc. are all gone.

No, they can't, so they'll use it anyway, because they don't care whether the excuse is believable or not... I mean, does anyone think that if they had released FE6 or Earthbound 3 or any of several other GBA games we haven't gotten in the US this year that they wouldn't sell well enough to make back the investment? At least there they can pretend that maybe it won't be worth it, but on VC, it is even more absurd.

Yeah. They have no excuse. None.

Other than that... Super Paper Mario. I've always kind of thought that it looked way too awesome to ever actually get released, but we'll see... maybe it'll reappear sometime... I hope. It looked like great fun.

Fire Emblem Wii... just announce it for a US release... soon...

sp0rsk said:
What is the christmas bonus for miis thing about? I can't see the interview cause im at work.

1 Santa hat. Only in red. Females only.
1 Santa beard. Only in white. Males only.
Available January 16th 2007

Nintendo.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That's about 20 fewer than Nintendo is releasing in Japan, which Fils-Aime said is because some games "may make perfect sense in Japan but we don't think in our marketplace have a lot of potential."

God bless this heathen country of Japan.

EphemeralDream said:
1 Santa hat. Only in red. Females only.
1 Santa beard. Only in white. Males only.
Available January 16th 2007

Nintendo.jpg

HOT

Dr.Hadji said:
Screw Goldeneye. GO PERFECT DARK.

But seriously, if we get one, we'll probably get the other.

And they'll probably fix the frame rate issue, and maybe do other cool things. Maybe new control set ups.

I'm not so sure... If I'm not mistaken, Perfect Dark is RARE property. GoldenEye is Nintendo property. So we could get GoldenEye, but not PD.

But just like you I would love Perfect Dark on VC with better framerate!!! But let's face it, it won't happen.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Meta-Knight said:
I'm not so sure... If I'm not mistaken, Perfect Dark is RARE property. GoldenEye is Nintendo property. So we could get GoldenEye, but not PD.

But just like you I would love Perfect Dark on VC with better framerate!!! But let's face it, it won't happen.

I could actually see PD releasing on Xbox Live Arcade.

EDIT: DAMMIT beaten

AntMurda

We also have no idea what Miyamoto's original Wii IP is. He should talk about that at some time, eh?

Nintendoods have gone over this. How do you know it wasn't Wii Play or Wii Music?? Miyahon!

jarrod

Banned
soundwave05 said:
Just for reference I think this was Nintendo's 2002 lineup (complete) for the GameCube

NBA Courtside 2002 (Jan or Feb '02?)
Eternal Darkness (June '02)
Super Mario Sunshine (August '02)
Animal Crossing (Sept. '02)
Star Fox Adventures (Oct '02)
Metroid Prime (Nov '02)

I'm going off the top of my head, but yes, I think Nintendo only release six 1st/2nd party titles total in 2002 for the GC. The Wii should get at least double that.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot about NBA Courtside 2002.
You also missed Disney's Magical Mirror (Aug) and Mario Party 4 (Oct) making it 8 games total. Europe also got Doshin the Giant... I still don't understand why NOA skipped out on that one?

Wii potential 1st party 2007 does look way better though, not to mention the nice cushion the Virtual Console gives too.

Zweisy1

Dunno, I'd love to get Mario Galaxy as soon as possible but its good if they take their time and polish it. Mario Sunshine was a good game but it definitely felt a bit rushed for a game in Nintendo's flagship series.

Mario deserves a long dev cycle as much as Zelda does.

2002 rocked, seriously such a happy gaming time for me.

Anyway, I don't mind waiting for Mario - take the time and get it perfect I say.

I'm guessing Metroid in early-ish 2007, Mario July-Sept sorta and then Smash Bros as the big Nov holiday title.

jarrod

Banned
Sunshine and Wind Waker both needed some major work, WW moreso though. I wish Nintendo had just delayed both games until they were perfected (Sunshine would've been fine in Nov 2002 and TWW in Nov 2003)... but at least we see the trends reversing now.

DCX

DCX
GoldenEye on VC would just be the same GoldenEye you've been playing for years, GoldenEye on XBLA? Now there's where it should be, enhanced visuals (maybe) online play and achievements FTW!

DCX

jarrod

Banned
DCX said:
GoldenEye on VC would just be the same GoldenEye you've been playing for years, GoldenEye on XBLA? Now there's where it should be, enhanced visuals (maybe) online play and achievements FTW!

DCX
Nintendo owns all rights to the code and design though... so it's definitely not happening on XBLA.

Perfect Dark could though...

ziran

good interview, thanks!

so, from the sounds of it, metroid prime 3 will april/may, can't wait. i'm hoping retro betters the original prime, which was all kinds of awesome!

Conrad Link said:
Anyway, I don't mind waiting for Mario - take the time and get it perfect I say.
i agree. nintendo should take as much time as they need to perfect it. i'm expecting another masterpiece, ead's been working on the title in one form or another for something like 6 years!

thefro

jarrod said:
Nintendo owns all rights to the code and design though... so it's definitely not happening on XBLA.

No they don't, the rights are essentially split. That's why Rare can release a "Facility" map for Perfect Dark Zero. If it was just that simple as Nintendo splitting the $$ with Activision or EA we would have seen a full-blown remake by now.

A rerelease on VC or XBLA or remake is going to need the approval of all 3 parties, and possibly more.

jarrod

Banned
thefro said:
No they don't, the rights are essentially split. That's why Rare can release a "Facility" map for Perfect Dark Zero. If it was just that simple as Nintendo splitting the $$ with Activision or EA we would have seen a full-blown remake by now.
I dunno, according the the split RARE held all rights to original properties while Nintendo held on to any of their licenses (which would logically include 007). Either way, there's basically no chance of seeing Goldeneye on XBLA.

Gigglepoo

Ristamar said:
Did anyone seriously expect SMG before the 2007 holiday? You people are freakin' crazy...

It'll be here in the summer. No later than September 22.

It has to be.

Though I could certainly wait until November if I had Perfect Dark on XBLA to keep me occupied. Online co-op? Maybe a revamped Counter-Op mode (which had so much potential!)? Rare could certainly charge 1200 Points for a remade Perfect Dark.

Ristamar

Gigglepoo said:
It'll be here in the summer. No later than September 22.

It has to be.

I could see a fall release ONLY if SSBB is their big Christmas title.

As for GE, a solid framerate would be satisfactory for me, and I would download it ASAP. Now, if they managed to include wiimote controls... well, that just a silly dream.

Zweisy1

Sunshine and Wind Waker both needed some major work, WW moreso though. I wish Nintendo had just delayed both games until they were perfected (Sunshine would've been fine in Nov 2002 and TWW in Nov 2003)... but at least we see the trends reversing now.

So true. Sunshine and Wind Waker were both disappointing compared to the earlier games in the series. Eventhough I personally found the best parts of Sunshine to be more fun than Mario 64.

Twilight Princess is like a return of the EAD of N64 era.. Hope they will keep that up. EAD's DS stuff has been great too though.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I don't see any problems with the 07 Nintendo line-up:
Metroid Prime 3, probably Q1 if it was supposed to make it to launch.
Super Mario Galaxy, Don't mind waiting till November, make it better than Mario 64.
Super Paper Mario, I can't see what they're going to change it up with the Wii but a platfromer with RPG elements, with a Paper Mario theme and Intellgent System making it? It'll be atleast good.
Fire Emblem GOD - It's Fire Emblem.. GOD.. yeah..
Project HAMMER - NST but seems interesting, we'll see.
Disaster - Seems nice and the gameplay seemed very RE4ish from the gameplay footage from Nintendo World 06
Super Mario Strikers - with online it should be great.
BWii 2 - I liked the first one, and with online play it'll be all better.

That's it isn't it? Maybe Pokemon for the US.
So that's: Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Fire Emblem, Project Hammer, Disaster, Super Mario Strikers, BWii and Pokemon - 9 games seems pretty good, and they'll probably announce some more too.

Star Fox is becoming borderline Sonic these days with all these shitty character additions and cheesy direction. Not that Star Fox has never had cheese but the SNES and N64 versions were far more badass than what we've been getting. Ugh, it's a shame too, because the Star Fox universe is so ****ing awesome and I'm sick of getting dicked around by these latest installments. I hear Star Fox Command is a lot better though so I may try it out.

But Star Fox on Wii would be like... the perfect Wii game if done right.

The GoldenEye issue is very interesting. Certainly Rare were Nintendo when development took place, Nintendo owned them and published the game. At the time, they were the owners leasing the rights. I think the main hitches won't involve Rare or Microsoft at all. They'll be:

1) its an MGM film license. MGM are now owned by Sony Pictures.
2) Do the Flemming estate have any say? It wasn't a book, but its his character.
3) The current game rights are held by Activision? (thats new to me btw)

[Nintex]

If we are lucky Nintendo might announce, Fzero, Starfox or Mariokart for 2007.
Otherwise the european's will still have Excite Truck in January/February, since it isn't a launch game over here.

chase

While disappointed by much in that interview (I like non/mini-games...and even I'm tired of them, Reggie; and why not let people download whatever they want regardless of if you think it's going to 'appeal' to the west? Let people choose for Christ's sake! I really don't see how they lose allowing people who aren't in Japan d/l these games as well.) I'm not going to complain about SMG coming out next Xmas.

All you losers who said Nintendo lost it and Mario Sunshine and Zelda: TWW sucked got exactly what you wanted: the games came out relatively quickly. They delayed Zelda:TP for as long as they needed and ZOMG it's teh best game evar.

Personally, I'm begging them to delay Mario as long as they need to to make it truly great.

You're like a bunch of kiddies.

I agree with Reggie, Urban Champion and Altered Beast are far better games for the US Virtual Console than Contra 3 and Castlevania: Vampire's Kiss.

Hey, wait a minute!

MoxManiac

Jesus, Wii is going to be GCN all over again at this rate with the upcoming drought. March before a decent Wii title hits?! Even the VC has a drought of games! WTF

Rlan

brandonh83 said:
Star Fox is becoming borderline Sonic these days with all these shitty character additions and cheesy direction. Not that Star Fox has never had cheese but the SNES and N64 versions were far more badass than what we've been getting. Ugh, it's a shame too, because the Star Fox universe is so ****ing awesome and I'm sick of getting dicked around by these latest installments. I hear Star Fox Command is a lot better though so I may try it out.

But Star Fox on Wii would be like... the perfect Wii game if done right.

I'm playing Starfox Command now. It truly feels like this could have easily been created to be Starfox 64 2 - but they decided to make it boring and repetitive. You 'command' characters to move around a map. Hit a target, and you play a very short and easy 'kill this enemy in all range mode' bit. You may have to kill a mother ship or missile.. which is done by flying through squares. There is no collaboration between your team, you're on your own the whole way, even if two characters are at the same point.

It's like this because Starfox 2 SNES was going to be a bit like this, and the guy running the show was making that game. Hopefully someone will have the balls to make an all out god damn half-linear shooter, and go back to the Starfox Adventures-esque designs, because square-headed Fox is ugly.

Snaku

Banned
MoxManiac said:
Jesus, Wii is going to be GCN all over again at this rate with the upcoming drought. March before a decent Wii title hits?! Even the VC has a drought of games! WTF

You act like this is some monstrous drought, when in reality there will be a steady stream of games coming, and it's nowhere near as bad as the PS2 drought. Stop being drama queens.

MoxManiac

I dunno, i'm looking at the upcoming list and I see Metroid supposedly in march, Mario Galaxy during a huge window, Paper Mario for summer(?) and FE...whenver. Other than those titles all I see is boring filler and licensed shovelware. I admit I dunno what they plan for VC. But it doesn't look great for 2006.

It's not a huge problem for me as I won't be getting a Wii until mid to late 2007 when the heavy hitters out, but I don't know what I'd do if I had one right now, with Zelda being the only meaty game before Metroid in march.

Ristamar

Honestly, I'm surprised by the complaints. An amazing Zelda at launch. Mario, Metroid, Fire Emblem, and Super Smash Bros very likely all within a year of launch, plus whatever "crap" they release in between (Mario Strikers, Batallion Wars, Wii Play, Wario Ware, maybe Paper Mario, etc).

I mean, holy ****. Sure, 3rd parties will have to step up to help fill the gaps, but what else can you reasonably expect in terms of 1st party software?

Krowley

Since when is smash brothers a bigger franchise than mario? i know it sold more last gen, but that was because it was essentially a launch game. Twilight princess will end up killing last gens smash brothers sales and if they had launched with a mario game on the cube, it would have killed smash brothers as well. Having smash at launch instead of mario last gen was actually a weak point for the cubes launch (although mario sunshine was a bit disapointing and smash was a better title overall.)

I don't doubt that mario will release before smash brothers, but i think that's more a function of mario being later in development and smash brothers being early. If they had their choice i can't imagine they would prefer to have smash over mario as a christmas title. And i think if they both released at the same time, mario would cannabilize smash brothers, not the other way around.

Also i agree with the general sentiment that they should delay mario as much as the need to in order to polish it. I want a perfect, sublime, mario expierience.

Top Bottom