• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I talked to Reggie today about VC, GoldenEye, Nunchuk bundles, Update Post #203

penguini

Banned
I purchased Mario 64 as my first VC game yesterday. Maybe I am a cheap ass, but N64 games seem to be the only console that is appropriately priced. $10 seems completely resonable and a good value. However, I can't see myself paying $8 for SNES/GENE games or $5 for NES/SMS games.

Amir0x

Banned
These are the games coming out by the end of December for the US:

Altered Beast Sega Genesis
Baseball NES
Bomberman '93 TurboGrafx-16
Bonk's Adventure TurboGrafx-16

Columns Sega Genesis
Donkey Kong NES
Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine Sega Genesis
Dungeon Explorer TurboGrafx-16
Ecco the Dolphin Sega Genesis
F-Zero SNES
Golden Axe Sega Genesis

Gunstar Heroes Sega Genesis
Ice Hockey NES
Mario Bros. NES
Pinball NES

Ristar Sega Genesis
Sim City SNES
Soccer NES
Sonic the Hedgehog Sega Genesis
Solomon’s Key NES

Space Harrier II Sega Genesis
Super Mario 64 N64
Super Star Soldier TurboGrafx-16
The Legend of Zelda NES
Tennis NES

Toe Jam & Earl Sega Genesis
Urban Champion NES
Victory Run TurboGrafx-16
Wario’s Woods NES

As you can see, no Super Castlevania, Contra 3 or LttP

(bold is already out)

Bloodwake

Honestly, because we know the games are ready for release and Nintendo is just holding back on them, I wouldn't be surprised if most major Nintendo releases (Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy) are delayed and we end up seeing these games on VC by July.

Hell, I bet one of those games will be released in January, more than likely either Link to the Past or Super Mario World. My money's on Zelda, because of Twilight Princess.

Gigglepoo

Amir0x said:
I would take Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo anywhere! That's also one of my favorite games of all time.

Seems we have similar taste, Mr. Gigglepoo

And yet, I have never played Earthbound. Super Castlevania and Earthbound are at the very top of my "I need to download these games because I missed them the first time" list. Believe me, I am quite excited for the VC.

Best part about Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo - Playing a Dan vs Dan match.

Mrbob

Remember when we thought Nintendo would dump entire catalogs on day one? Those were good times.

NoA has already made the VC about as big of a cluster**** as XBLA. Congrats to both companies. At least XBLA games are enhanced.

Someone should ask Reggie about the 'Update' feature of Virtual Console. We *know* its there and that Nintendo are thinking of using it, what I'd like to know is how and when.

The lack of enhancements and updates is one thing people see as the prime advantage of XBLA over VC... myself included. So whats up Nintendo?

Amir0x said:
At this rate i guess it will be 2010 before i see Tetris Attack :(

I don't think we'll ever even see Tetris Attack. Nintendo no longer holds the Tetris license (which they did at the time), so they can't re-release it.

Sadly we'll probably have to settle for Pokémon Puzzle League. Same gameplay, 30 times less charm, and awful-sounding midi music courtesy of NST.

And no netplay either, it seems. :'(

Amir0x

Banned
AtomicShroom said:
I don't think we'll ever even see Tetris Attack. Nintendo no longer holds the Tetris license (which they did at the time), so they can't re-release it.

Sadly we'll probably have to settle for Pokémon Puzzle League. Same gameplay, 30 times less charm, and awful-sounding midi music courtesy of NST.

And no netplay either, it seems. :'(

i always forget about the tetris license. But, yeah...you may be right. STILL, they can always just pay a bit to use the license or get something like a Tetris DS

penguini said:
I purchased Mario 64 as my first VC game yesterday. Maybe I am a cheap ass, but N64 games seem to be the only console that is appropriately priced. $10 seems completely resonable and a good value. However, I can't see myself paying $8 for SNES/GENE games or $5 for NES/SMS games.

Complete opposite for me. N64 has about half a dozen good games, SNES had plenty. Or at least a few more! :p NES games I see your point on.

Can someone post that screen of the Wii Update description?

Amir0x said:
i always forget about the tetris license. But, yeah...you may be right. STILL, they can always just pay a bit to use the license or get something like a Tetris DS

They can, but that all depends on how cheap Nintendo is. Seeing as how they're offering NES titles on VC for a very fair price... oh wait... :(

Gigglepoo

Mrbob said:
At least XBLA games are enhanced.

I guess, but there is already a better lineup of VC games than classic XBLA games. I would take Solomon's Key and Legend of Zelda over Frogger, Doom and the rest any day, and that doesn't even factor in Sonic, Ecco and Bonk. It's frustrating that Nintendo has this HUGE advantage but isn't milking it for all its worth. Things will get interesting when Sony starts tapping the PSX and all three companies vye for the remaining consoles. I can't wait until I can download some Saturn games.

Amir0x

Banned
AtomicShroom said:
They can, but that all depends on how cheap Nintendo is. Seeing as how they're offering NES titles on VC for a very fair price... oh wait... :(

well... i would pay $10 for Tetris Attack, IF they did offer leaderboards and online play if it covered the cost of the license

Mrbob said:
At least XBLA games are enhanced.

At least Nintendo aren't ruling out enhancements. Thats what I'm saying. Someone should ask Reggie about that update function. We know updates will be free once you've purchased the game, but what kind of enhancements will there be? Can he not give any examples? Or is that one of the pre-christmas surprises?

Amir0x said:
well... i would pay $10 for Tetris Attack, IF they did offer leaderboards and online play if it covered the cost of the license

I would too. I would also kick your ass at the game in the process. :D

Amir0x

Banned
i would have to practice, been a while since i trained hard with Panel De Pon. But if I could get back to my former glory days, then I will have no trouble beating you into submission Mr. Shroom :D

Gigglepoo

Amir0x said:

I would pay $10 even without enhancements. It's why their pricing is so weird. $8 for Super Mario Kart and Tetris Attack is a steal, but I'm not paying $10 for War Gods.

Man, I cannot wait for Super Mario Kart. If it has a online play... even Halo 3 will have to take a backseat to the Koopa Troopa beatdown I will unleash upon the world.

kirbutashi said:
Does anyone know if it would be possible for third parties to take Mii data and create something similar looking? For example, having a character in EA's Sims Wii game resemble your Mii, but stay in the game's blocky art style?
I'd say this mostly depends on whether Nintendo designed the whole Mii thing to be finalized (for Wii) on day one, or are allowing eventual updates that compatible games can still use. If it's the latter, a game that used its own interpretation of Mii parts would eventually end up without an equivalent part.

Dr. Hadji said:
Screw Goldeneye. GO PERFECT DARK.

But seriously, if we get one, we'll probably get the other.
Goldeneye was a Nintendo-published game that used a license now controlled by Activision. Perfect Dark was a Rare-published game that used a license now controlled by Rare/Microsoft. The former is much more likely.

Ristamar said:
Did anyone seriously expect SMG before the 2007 holiday? You people are freakin' crazy...
So people said about Super Mario Sunshine. And to expect Wind Waker late 2003.
radioheadrule83 said:
There's nothing really special about it. It could be used for adding features, or fixing holes. But WITHOUT an update button, there'd be no good way to inform everyone who has a given game that there's a fix out.

Amir0x said:
this is also a bannable offense, for future reference ;)

while this may be bad, I think you might get deported for partaking in such an unAmerican activity as playing and enjoying Earthbound, so who's got it worse???? :p

I think Goldeneye would make for an excellent Wiimake instead of ending up in VC hell, but only once developers start working out the FPS kinks on the Wii. Its level design lends itself to the Wiimote, and the game would be way funner if you could actually, you know, aim. That's an impossible dream though; this is the only time that I'm disappointed with Microsoft owning Rare. (Rare sucks.) If there's any game due for a remake, it's Goldeneye.

ethelred

radioheadrule83 said:
Complete opposite for me. N64 has about half a dozen good games, SNES had plenty. Or at least a few more! :p NES games I see your point on.

There are only a handful of N64 games I'd consider worthwhile enough to buy again now. However, there are a megaton-sized number of Genesis and SNES games that I'd go nuts downloading -- if more were made available.

I said from the start that I was okay with how Nintendo was handling the releases -- on paper. I am okay with the idea of gradually filling out the library through consistent weekly releases.

What I am NOT okay with by any stretch of the imagination is the incredibly weak launch lineup, the miniscule number of games they intend to add on a weekly basis (1 to 5? Jesus), and the way they intend to screw around with these releases in general.

I'm pretty disgusted with it, actually, because of how much I loved the idea and the promise of the Virtual Console from the beginning. Before the Wiimote was even announced, this was the big selling feature of the console for me. It holds so much potential. Seeing what they're doing to it is seriously disgusting. Knowing it'll never fulfill its own potential and give me the ability to buy and play all the games I'd love to play is saddening.

Gigglepoo

buhmachine said:
Its level design lends itself to the Wiimote

I disagree. The game maximizes the potential of the N64 controller. It's "2D" for the most part. You don't have to aim up or down very often. The game controlled perfectly on the N64 because it was designed for that system. Being able to free aim with the Wiimote would not add anything to the game and would potentially ruin it. Head shots in multiplayer is skillfull. It would destroy the balance if you used the Wiimote.

Gigglepoo said:
I disagree. The game maximizes the potential of the N64 controller. It's "2D" for the most part. You don't have to aim up or down very often. The game controlled perfectly on the N64 because it was designed for that system. Being able to free aim with the Wiimote would not add anything to the game and would potentially ruin it. Head shots in multiplayer is skillfull. It would destroy the balance if you used the Wiimote.

Hmm, I think you're right. Truthfully, I didn't play much Goldeneye, I was never really that good at it. I guess the Wiimote would be good for more wide-open and vertical FPS--I'd say Halo, but Halo works excellently with the analogs with its "slow" style of play. Metroid Prime 3 could show how well it could work, but it's too bad that MP's shooting model isn't the best in the world.

No6

JoshuaJSlone said:
Goldeneye was a Nintendo-published game that used a license now controlled by Activision. Perfect Dark was a Rare-published game that used a license now controlled by Rare/Microsoft. The former is much more likely.
Actually, I'd say the latter is "more" likely (read: never) because Bond has changed. There was a big thing made of From Russia With Love because it was using the Connery Bond, and that was the "classic" Bond, which probably made it more ok. The Brosnan Bond is probably going to be restricted for a long time, much like a lot of ex-WWE wrestlers are.

Ristamar

JoshuaJSlone said:
So people said about Super Mario Sunshine. And to expect Wind Waker late 2003.

True, but the GCN didn't have any of the Big 3 at launch or in the launch window, either. As for Wind Waker, that doesn't really have anything to do with this discussion (I don't really recall people saying it'd be pushed to Winter 2003 *shrug*), other than the fact that it should have been delayed to add more content.

buhmachine said:
I support NOA in its decision to keep the stupid ass Mother games from our shining shores, because I mean, if you like Earthbound, you're not an American imo.
dudewhat.jpg

I don't have a problem with spaced out releases, as between all the systems I own and all the time I spend on school, I don't have enough time to play multiple games every month to completion.

The "online play in 2007" thing is a bummer, though.

I really don't think there is going to be too much of a drought next year.

Wii Play
Warioware Smooth Moves
Prince of Persia
Resident Evil: Umbrella City Chronicles
Forever Blue
Project H.A.M.M.E.R.
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Wing Island
Kororinpa
The BIGS (and most likely MLB 07... or 08.... whatever it's called >_>)
Super Paper Mario
Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros Brawl
The Sims
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Battallion Wars 2
Mario Strikers Charged
Bust-A-Move Bash!
Donkey Kong... Jet Race (>_>)
Mario Party 8
Heroes
Kirby
Heatseeker
Pokemon Battle Revolution

A lot of these games are already confirmed for release next year, and most of the rest are likely. Plus, much more games will be announced between now and the end of next year.

I hope NoE don't follow suit with this crap. I was worried about getting hosed on the VC by going PAL, but with DKC coming over here and now Reggie's spew, looks like it could be the US that gets the short end of the stick. Of course now that I've said it, all Europeans are totally screwed.

Mason

It's Nintendo, who are we kidding? The 'updates' are gonna be things like Mario wearing a Santa suit in Mario 64 for Christmas and other stupid shit like that.

nick_f

soundwave05 said:
Not neccessarily. Nintendo was the one that bought the license for the game, Rare was just contracted to work on the game under Nintendo.

So it's very possible they own the game code for GoldenEye itself. There might be issues with Activision wanting a cut of the sales and the likeness of actors and what not.

There would definitely be issues with re-releasing Goldeneye as far as Activision is concerned. They would need to be on-board in some way.

I wouldn't say Rare "were contracted to work" by Nintendo. The relationship really didn't work that way, even in the N64 heyday. Nintendo approached Rare to do Goldeneye, initially there was some interest but that fizzled out until Martin Hollis persuaded Chris Stamper it was a worthwhile activity (remember the Bond films weren't a particularly hot property in late 1994).

Rare were heavily involved in the financial negotiations over Bond. It is rumored - although I don't believe it myself - that the bad guy ("Stamper") in Tomorrow Never Dies was named after Chris Stamper (in tribute to his ruthless negotiation skills).

AniHawk said:
Fire Emblem USUALLY takes about 6 months to bring over. We'll probably see it in October.

Super Paper Mario, if it still exists, could be a late spring or early summer release.

I guess there's SSBB next year too, so maybe it'll work:

April: MP3
June: SPM
August: SMG
October: FEGOD
November: SSBB

Looks very similar to the GameCube's 2004-05 lineup. The "disaster from the word go", if you will.

QuickKick89 said:
Looks very similar to the GameCube's 2004-05 lineup. The "disaster from the word go", if you will.

What do you expect them to do? They're only one company and they have to allocate resources to both the DS and Wii. Third parties will have to fill up the "in-betweens." Show me Sony or Microsoft's first-party line up for the first year...

bud

NintendosBooger said:
What do you expect them to do? They're only one company and they have to allocate resources to both the DS and Wii. Third parties will have to fill up the "in-betweens." Show me Sony or Microsoft's first-party line up for the first year...

Sony has a potentially great line-up for the first year.

resistance, motohstohm, lair, heavenly sword and some other games probably.

Hero

It'd be awesome if they released Super Mario All-Stars.

Oh, but wait, they'd rather just rape the average consumer with individual releases.

Come on, Nintendo. If you're not going to just dump all the games, at least put forth a good effort. 10 games a week should be the minimum. At this rate, it's going to take the entire Wii shelf-life before we see a large catalog of games on the VC.

NintendosBooger said:

I'd show you them, but they'd be overshadowed by the massive amounts of 3rd party games that are highly anticipated. You know, the games the Wii isn't GETTING because it's a PATHETIC PIECE OF LAST-GEN SHIT?

I EXPECT Nintendo to actually try and compete with the other guys in terms of sheer games, and right now, I'm not seeing it. Nintendo can't give another GameCube-size effort here, or the console will be lucky to break 10 million?

So, what's the over-under on the next "Nintendo going the way of Sega?" topic?

Deku

Banned
so no Zelda III this year :( OK, thanks Amir.

Amir0x said:
These are the games coming out by the end of December for the US:

Altered Beast Sega Genesis
Baseball NES
Bomberman '93 TurboGrafx-16
Bonk's Adventure TurboGrafx-16

Columns Sega Genesis
Donkey Kong NES
Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine Sega Genesis
Dungeon Explorer TurboGrafx-16
Ecco the Dolphin Sega Genesis
F-Zero SNES
Golden Axe Sega Genesis

Gunstar Heroes Sega Genesis
Ice Hockey NES
Mario Bros. NES
Pinball NES

Ristar Sega Genesis
Sim City SNES
Soccer NES
Sonic the Hedgehog Sega Genesis
Solomon’s Key NES

Space Harrier II Sega Genesis
Super Mario 64 N64
Super Star Soldier TurboGrafx-16
The Legend of Zelda NES
Tennis NES

Toe Jam & Earl Sega Genesis
Urban Champion NES
Victory Run TurboGrafx-16
Wario’s Woods NES

As you can see, no Super Castlevania, Contra 3 or LttP

(bold is already out)

Bud said:

Looks like both company's are starting off on a good foot. Nintendo with Zelda, and Sony with Resistance. I just don't understand what people really expect from one developer. I don't see anything wrong with Nintendo's first-year lineup, especially when you pause to consider how much of their resources are being designated to their other platform.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Bud said:

Hot Shots, potentially SOCOM, Warhawk, 40 downloadable games Sony is funding, and PS1 classics should be hitting next year. SOCOM might be PS2. Dunno, I'm trying to think of Sony franchises.

Oh, GTHD will also be hitting...and God of War 2 is playable on PS3. :D

Sony is really filling out the lineup themselves because...they, uh, need to. Too many third party multiplatform games.

QuickKick89 said:
I'd show you them, but they'd be overshadowed by the massive amounts of 3rd party games that are highly anticipated. You know, the games the Wii isn't GETTING because it's a PATHETIC PIECE OF LAST-GEN SHIT?

Is that how you backup all your arguments :lol

QuickKick89 said:

I EXPECT Nintendo to actually try and compete with the other guys in terms of sheer games, and right now, I'm not seeing it. Nintendo can't give another GameCube-size effort here, or the console will be lucky to break 10 million?

So, what's the over-under on the next "Nintendo going the way of Sega?" topic?

jwj442

I honestly don't see the problem with their first-party lineup. Having full-fledged games ("real" entries, not sidegames like Hunters or Four Swords) from four of their biggest franchises (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and SSB) and a spinoff with online from their fifith really big one (Pokemon) in the first year is a pretty tall order. They've also got Fire Emblem, possibly Super Paper Mario, casual stuff like Wii Play, and a few lower-tier titles like Battalion Wars.

The fact that there's only Mario Party 8, Wario Ware, and Wii Play in the first three months is admittedly a bit troubling, but the lineup for the whole year looks pretty good to me.

For those that already own the Sega Genesis Collection on another system, that VC list 'til the end of the year is really bleak...Gunstar, Dungeon Explorer, and TJ&E aside. Compared to the Japanese list, it's a tragedy.

Top Bottom