• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think i got some kind of nerve damage after i donated blood.

nkarafo

This was my first time donating blood. Mother of a friend needed an operation and they asked for blood and i volunteered.

When the nurse pushed the needle i felt some kind of sting/burn in the lower part of my arm. I told her and she didn't seem to care.

Now, 4 days after the donation, i'm feeling a sudden sting on that same part of my arm when i'm doing exercise. Sometimes it stings it when i just move my arm.

It's not pain, just discomfort. Feels like some light electric shock.

I googled the symptoms and it looks like a nerve damage?

I'm going to the hospital tomorrow to sort this out but i'm very pissed with this because i'm not sure what to expect.

Have you ever experienced this?

Last edited:

GeekyDad

I'm assuming they took a significant amount of blood considering you were donating for a procedure. I believe the I.V. needles are a bit larger than, say, a need for a simple injection or blood sample. I'd say give it a few more days. If you're still experiencing issues, then, yeah, you may want to see your physician.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Yes it was a large, scarier needle than the ones i saw up to that point. And it was sucking blood for 10 mins.

It's the One Needle Exploding Arm Technique.

Ce9YjfV.png

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yeah, it's normal, it will get away tho. I had some of these from infusions.

Well I have one know, from that anti-covid infusion.

QSD

Could be that they hit a nerve. It isn't likely that it will cause some kind of permanent damage though, so it will probably go away after a while.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Could be that they hit a nerve. It isn't likely that it will cause some kind of permanent damage though, so it will probably go away after a while.

Yeah pretty much this. Sucks to hear bro, and getting it checked out doesn't hurt I guess but surely it'll go away soon enough!

Ballthyrm

They recommend not doing any exercise in the following days after a donation.
So you did that wrong, you need to give your body time to recuperate.

I've donated plasma and blood multiples time and I always get a little drowsy after with a tingle in my arm, just like you describe.
It usually goes away after a couple of days of not doing anything.

Time to be a couch potatoe after your good action, that's the reward !

nkarafo

They recommend not doing any exercise in the following days after a donation.
So you did that wrong, you need to give your body time to recuperate.

I've donated plasma and blood multiples time and I always get a little drowsy after with a tingle in my arm, just like you describe.
It usually goes away after a couple of days of not doing anything.

Time to be a couch potatoe after your good action, that's the reward !

I didn't do any real exercise. The first couple of days i wasn't moving my arm at all. I could still feel that annoying sting by doing regular stuff, like lifting an object or stretching my arm. The exercise i'm talking about is more like testing my arm by adding a bit more pressure.

They also didn't say anything about not using my arm at all. They only told me to drink more fluids and that's it. I didn't even feel drowsy or tired. Just a ton of anxiety.

nkarafo nkarafo how much blood did they take?

I'm not sure tbh. I told them it's my first time and i was also nervous during the whole thing. They told me it will take 10 minutes but they stopped a bit sooner.

Anyway, i went to the hospital today, since it's only a 15 minute walk from where i live. I told the doctor about it and she seemed surprised at first, telling me she never had something similar happen for the 30 years she is in the hospital. She now told me to avoid straining my arm for 5 days, put some ice on it 3 times a day and also take an anti-inflammatory pill/day, during that time.

Last edited:
I donated blood plasma for years to get me through some lean times. It can be normal, especially if they missed the vein and had to go digging for it. Next time inform the phlebotomist of what happened, and ask them if you have rolling veins. Ever since I was told I have them I've never had a problem as long as long as I informed the phlebotomist.

It will go away in a few days.

Moquedami

Neo Member
I experienced something similar a few years ago when i got a painkiller shot. I think the nurse touched a nerv in my arm. It took me a whole year to fully recover. I would feel the same electric shock you described. Like the inner part of my harm was half slept

dr_octagon

Banned
I didn't do any real exercise. The first couple of days i wasn't moving my arm at all. I could still feel that annoying sting by doing regular stuff, like lifting an object or stretching my arm. The exercise i'm talking about is more like testing my arm by adding a bit more pressure.

They also didn't say anything about not using my arm at all. They only told me to drink more fluids and that's it. I didn't even feel drowsy or tired. Just a ton of anxiety.

I'm not sure tbh. I told them it's my first time and i was also nervous during the whole thing. They told me it will take 10 minutes but they stopped a bit sooner.

Anyway, i went to the hospital today, since it's only a 15 minute walk from where i live. I told the doctor about it and she seemed surprised at first, telling me she never had something similar happen for the 30 years she is in the hospital. She now told me to avoid straining my arm for 5 days, put some ice on it 3 times a day and also take an anti-inflammatory pill/day, during that time.
doesn't sound like anything major which is good, you'll be fine. well done for donating btw 👍

Where was the needle entry point and where is the tingling?

There are a few specific areas in the elbow region where the main nerves cross, but it seems unlikely that a superficial IV would be able to hit any of them. That said, peripheral nerves regenerate and the problem should go away.

nkarafo

Shit still stings today. It's been more than a week. I have completely stopped exercising and i'm getting that medication every day but i see no improvement. I'm really starting to worry now :(

Last edited:

BigBooper

I think if they'd have hit a nerve you'd have felt a lot more than a slight burning sting. It can take weeks for a tiny iv puncture to heal and you got a big one. Veins aren't just like an air valve on a tire you can drain blood from and disconnect. They made a hole. It has to heal, and scar over.

I think you're being too worried for no reason. Even if they did hit a nerve, it takes time for these things to heal.

nkarafo

I think if they'd have hit a nerve you'd have felt a lot more than a slight burning sting. It can take weeks for a tiny iv puncture to heal and you got a big one. Veins aren't just like an air valve on a tire you can drain blood from and disconnect. They made a hole. It has to heal, and scar over.

I think you're being too worried for no reason. Even if they did hit a nerve, it takes time for these things to heal.
Well, they didn't warn me for any of this kind of risk though. There was nothing in the brochure of the sort. The doctor made some tests and told me i'm good for donating. That's it. The only side effects they warned me about were some nausea for a day.

If i knew, i wouldn't do it. It's not just the exercise, im also working in the boulder trap business. We cover hills with grids to stop rocks from falling. So now i can't do that for a while as well and who knows how long i will have to be in this state.

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
Probably a nerve was irritated by the needle when the blood was taken or a hematoma is now pressing lightly on the nerve. Give it a little more time. It will definitely get better, so don't worry.

Did you find out anymore? Might be a circulatory system issue. Are you itchy? Might be worth a second look. A week after donating a little blood you should not be feeling anything.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Did you find out anymore? Might be a circulatory system issue. Are you itchy? Might be worth a second look. A week after donating a little blood you should not be feeling anything.
I don't feel an itch.

What i feel is like a string being stuck inside my arm that gets loose abruptly, causing a sting. This happens every time i make some random moves.

This is felt in the lower part of my arm (between the wrist and elbow), not in the exact area where the needle was pushed. But i know this was caused by the needle because i felt a burn in said lower part of my arm when it was inserted. Which i told the nurse but she didn't respond.

They told me to wait until Friday (which is tomorrow). I was hoping it will go away sooner. They told me they will do some other tests if it doesn't.

Last edited:

Dural

I had a tooth extracted 5 weeks ago and half my tongue and gums are numb, I'm told it can last 3 months to a year. It sucks to eat or drink anything and
I feel like I have a slight lisp because of it. I also had nerve damage in my left pointer finger 10 years ago from being cut with glass, the tip of the finger has had a tingling sensation ever since.

On another note, my wife has had a sack at the crook of her arm for a couple years now that fills up and goes down. She got sick of it so her doctor sent her to an orthopedic doctor, turns out a vein was damaged when she gave blood and a sack formed. They said it isn't a major vein and they could cut out the sack and cauterize the vein.

pramod

Banned
Yeesh, I couldn't even stand regular blood draws, I really admire people who actually willingly donate blood.

Top Bottom