• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think I was accidentally racist today

giphy.gif

prag16

Banned
Why are you guys so weird!?

You didn't get high.
Wear what you want.
I don't think you're racist.
Stop worrying about everything.

You had an awkward moment with your friend. Just let it go and move on.

You can do it!

There is a segment of gaf that it's hard to imagine how they manage to get their pants on by themselves in the morning. Seriously.

And apparently next time the OP needs to put on his "not racist" pants.

Al-ibn Kermit

At the moment, I felt a out of sense sensation which I believe contributed to my mistake. Maybe I was tired.

It does not sound like you were high. You probably made a small mistake and are blowing up an awkward moment into something that seems huge in your mind.

And generally, people don't congregate into a group to do a drug deal as that draws attention. It sounds like you need to try drugs and/or never make assumptions about drugs unless you can confirm something is happening.

Why are you guys so weird!?

You didn't get high.
Wear what you want.
I don't think you're racist.
Stop worrying about everything.

You had an awkward moment with your friend. Just let it go and move on.

You can do it!

Thanks for not laughing at me. I will try to evaluate the scene next time I am at campus and see how others are perceiving me.

Yeah, this seems worse than what he said about the group. Who the fuck refers to someone as "indigenous"? This reminds me of Master of None's take on the word "Ethnic" amongst white people.

What? Since when is indigenous a bad term?

Ethnic is stupid for obvious reasons, but what's wrong with indigenous? If you ask me it's better than "Native American". We don't call black Africans, "Native Africans", do we?

No, which is why I am not very familiar with how it affects someone. I guess I look pretty stupid...

Yes

I mean something like a wristband or something. Something you don't directly comment on but is seen none the less.

Don't. You don't have to prove you aren't racist. You just have to not be racist and not say dumb racist things. Wearing a BLM wristband or some shit wont change your friends minds.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I made an error of judgement. While I was conversing with a (indigenous) friend today, they happened to notice a group of people forming a circle which obstructed anyone from seeing what was inside of the circle. My friend asked if I knew what the group were doing and I casually remarked that it was probably a drug deal or something. This was before I actually fixated my eyes and noticed that everyone in the circle was black. I also noticed the scent of marijuana in the air at the time and that is more than likely where the "drug" aspect came from. The marijuana most likely resulted in a 'second hand high', which I have often found myself susceptible to-- likely resulting in my brief lapse of social judgment. The friend in question did not laugh and ever since I have been receiving stern disconcerting looks from others among our social circle.

How do I go about expressing my approval of other races at a subconscious level? Are there any articles of clothing that would accomplish this?

Contact highs are a myth.

Also, wtf at the last sentence.

The most racist thing I ever did was a thing I said in highschool senior year.

I don't even remember the details, but I was making some sort of grand-sweeping statement, and someone pointed out that what I was saying wasn't true of Africa.

I got annoyed and said, "I'm not talking about what happens in Africa, I'm talking about real people."

I still wince when I remember that, even though I've succesfully supressed most of that conversation.

Ibuki

Banned
Guys I smelled a bit of the devil's lettuce and I think I accidentally attended a Nazi rally.

What can I do about this GAF?

M.J. Doja

Banned
In all honesty, if you wanted to acknowledge it and move on, you can just say "I realized I was totally racist by complete accident. I'm an idiot." Your friends will say, "Yeah, you idiot." and then you will all move on.

MUnited83

For you.
Someone smoked some weed 250 years ago on the place I'm sitting right now and i'm pretty sure i'm getting a second hand high right now.

How do I go about expressing my approval of other races at a subconscious level? Are there any articles of clothing that would accomplish this?

LOooollokllll

Are you trying to pull some inception shit by sending a message to people without them knowing via...what...?

I say polo jeans. Yes. That will do the trick.

OP needs to show up at the next hangout wearing full FUBU, it's the only way to win back their trust. I am also going to blame errors in judgement on second hand highs from now on.

"Jazzman why didn't you do the dishes?"
"The neighbours were outside smoking pot and some drifted in the windows and im so faded all i can do is eat cheezies and watch cartoons"

Also you should probably wash and dry your clothes. Clean out the lint trap after but be careful not to roll up and smoke any of the lint removed, that's a third hand high and that's bad news bears.

tbm24

No, which is why I am not very familiar with how it affects someone. I guess I look pretty stupid...

I mean something like a wristband or something. Something you don't directly comment on but is seen none the less.
Taking you honestly here. Looking for a sticker to put on yourself doesn’t mean anything other than trying to make yourself feel better, which shouldn’t be your concern. Just do better next time.

Hagi

Thanks for not laughing at me. I will try to evaluate the scene next time I am at campus and see how others are perceiving me.

The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over. But it can't. Not with out your help. But you're not helping.

emag

I'm not racist guys. Please believe me :(

You thought/said something based on prejudice and stereotypes and feel bad about it. Regretting it is the first step. Catching it before it happens in the future is the next. You can't make penitence by buying a wristband.

Everybody's a little bit racist. Don't freak out about it. If you want to do something a bit proactive, participate in a public service event and/or attend a rally.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Also, if you walk around with the "N.A.R." (I'm Not A Racist) wristband, a fat marijuana cigarette, and a shirt that says "BLACK LIVES MATTER", your odds of being perceived as a casual racist drop by almost 99%.

Top Bottom