• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i think i'm done with games :(

base

Banned
Depression makes impossible to you enjoy the things you like.

I fight against depression since my 15yo, and im now 35.

If you think u have it, go FAST to see a doctor, more time, more severe it turns.

I don't want to bring negativity here, but if i told u my history of anxiety, panic and depression...Btw, feel free to pm me anytime u want, i have (practical) knowledge of this problem.
The most painful thing is going to work where people don't care about your mind's state.

Get into fighting games, Go buy Mortal Kombat 11 and play some online games. Once you get your ass kicked and tea bagged for the upteenth time, you will get mad and want to get better and bash those little brats brains in. That will ignite your passion to play more and get gud.

phant0m

Been there, though I've found it to be more burn-out then full on depression. Happens every few years -- nothing is grabbing me, I don't feel invested or motivated to continue anything I have in progress, etc.

Stepping away from the hobby for a couple months usually helps tremendously. After a while I end up getting an itch for something, a shooter, JRPG, platformer.... and thats what ends up bringing me back in.

Bakkus

kraspkibble kraspkibble What are some of your favorite games of all time? This might be generalizing. But I often get the feeling that almost everyone who says this pretty much only plays western 'AAA' games. If that was all I played, I would not be interested in this industry at all.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
You just sound burnt out, bud. Take some time away and find some other hobbies for a while. I have experienced the depression feeling of not wanting to play anything before. Putting games down for a while will make you feel the itch again eventually. I have took months away before and it is a good thing to do. You're not missing anything and can always play games a bit later.

It honestly pays to be a patient gamer too as you get better sales.

Carna

Banned
If you live in a rural area, I recommend going outside on Saturdays and Sundays (or days off from work) to try finding wildlife and deer to photograph on your phone/camera.

Broaden your daily routine, instead of simply playing videogames.

MarlboroRed

I was in the same position, and honestly stepping away from games and the whole culture surrounding it for a while was really refreshing.
Particularly as someone dealing with depression it can help a lot to get away from the constant escapism and the easy dopamine fix that videogames can provide.

So if you don't enjoy them right now, I'd suggest not to get too hung up about it. At the end of the day, games don't go anywhere. They'll still be around when you feel like playing again.

Sleepwalker

I got over videogames when I went to university and took a gigantic break. Basically missed the whole 360/ps3 era. After I was done with uni I went back to play casually and eventually rekindled the love for gaming as a hobby.

Loving something doesn't mean you have to partake in it all the time, life is about cycles and if your current one doesn't involve playing tons of games don't worry, enjoy other things and eventually you'll be back. Or not, who knows.

Last edited:
i'm really struggling to enjoy games now. maybe i'm getting old or maybe it's crippling depression.

i was so excited for Cyberpunk and i know there is/was a lot of hate around it but i'm not here to shit on the game. i was really enjoying it but this is all i've got to show for "my most anticipated game of the year" since buying it at launch:

Screenshot-261.png

it made me think if i was that excited for a game and i've hardly been able to play it then what's the point anymore? there are games i want to buy but if i find it hard to sit down and play a game then why am i spending money on them? right now i have these games installed:

(last played)
Cyberpunk - a week ago
Destiny 2 - november 24th
No Man's Sky - november 23rd
Death Stranding - December 2nd
Genshin Impact - december 22nd
League of Legends - 2nd january
Hades - not played
Flight Simulator - november 25th
World of Warcraft - november 2nd
Rocket League - yesterday
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1 + 2 - fuck knows
Fortnite - fuck knows

there are other games i have an urge to go back to. i wanted to reinstall Diablo 3, Nier Automata, Dark Souls 3...but i know i'm not gonna manage to play them. there are games coming out soon that i want to buy like Persona 5 Strikers and Nier Replicant but again what's the point. it feels like a waste of money now.

this is also the first generation of consoles where i haven't bothered about getting a console. well i did get a Series X but returned it. cancelled my PS5 pre order. earlier in the year I sold my Switch cause i couldn't be arsed playing that anymore.

i don't really know what the point of this post is but i want to get share my feelings. maybe there are other people who feel the same. i think i'm gonna try finish up Cyberpunk, Death Stranding, and start Hades then that's it. I might buy the odd game going forward but I think i'm done with gaming. It's been a huge part of my life and it's sad i can't enjoy it anymore.
There’s no shame in finding out that games are no longer your thing. There’s no reason why it needs to be your thing forever. Enjoy the memories, find something else to do.

I felt the same way after leaving the games industry 5 years ago and never looked back. There's still something out there for you to enjoy, OP. You just have to put in a little more effort than you used to in order to find it. It may be tough and slow, but trust me, there will be games that totally align with what you'll find enjoyable. They may not get topics on here, award nominations or large editorial pieces on websites, but they'll be out there. Try looking for some smaller budget games, while at the same time putting gaming as a hobby on the backburner for other things to do in your spare time.

Alpha Beta Gamer is a site I regularly check out to see what upcoming games have alpha or beta tests to sign up for. Good way to scope out new things first-hand.

zkorejo

Don't think too much about it. It's normal. Besides, there are barely more than a few games per year that are even worth playing anymore. Focus on life. Games are secondary. You will appreciate them more when you don't expect much from them.

Cyberpunkd

Get into fighting games, Go buy Mortal Kombat 11 and play some online games. Once you get your ass kicked and tea bagged for the upteenth time, you will get mad and want to get better and bash those little brats brains in. That will ignite your passion to play more and get gud.
To elaborate on that - get some games where you can repeat things and see constant improvement. Roguelikes, music rhythm games, something that allows you to jump in for a few minutes every time you want to.

I finished CP2077, but one of the main reasons pushing me away from ‘cinematic games’ is the fact that it takes absurd amount of time for things to get rolling. Combined with meh stories I moved towards smaller, pure gameplay titles and couldn’t be happier.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
An update if anyone cares. Have been taking a break from games for a few weeks now. Refunded Cyberpunk and waiting for them to patch it and add dlc/expansions. Stopped Death Stranding and will go back to it when I feel ready. Hades is a game I bought and never touched so again will give that a shot when I feel up to it.

have only really been loading up Rocket League at the weekend for a couple hours. Persona 5 Strikers is out soon which I am really excited for so hoping I can get into that and finish it. and maybe the feeling of being able to finish a game will help me go back to Death Stranding and finally finish that. We’ll see.

it’s not just games Im struggling with. It takes so much effort and energy to even lie down and read a book or watch a tv show/movie.

Cyberpunkd

it’s not just games Im struggling with. It takes so much effort and energy to even lie down and read a book or watch a tv show/movie.
Pick up boxing. No running, no yoga, you need to punch something really hard for 1 hour. I picked it last year and it has been one of the best decisions of my life.

The reason why it takes so much energy is the fact most media are not respectful of your time - books are 1000 pages instead of 500 because the author feels the need to make his book 'more substantial' ; TV series go for 5 seasons 20 episodes each instead of a focused 2 seasons of 10 episodes, etc.

Shmunter

46. Comes and goes, there are weeks I don’t touch them. But overall it’s a hobby I enjoy.

Most of my friends just watch tv. Too narrow for me, i need to blow off steam not only passively engage.

But for a proper good time, a blunt is of essence.

You don't have to "break up" with gaming, or any other form of entertainment. Just stop doing what you don't enjoy and start doing what you do. It's not that big of a deal, or needs to be broadcasted to the world. I don't like sitting still to do anything a lot of the time, so I go running, hiking, cook, hit weights, etc. It's not a crisis that you don't enjoy something, just do what makes you feel good or brings satisfaction and leave it at that.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Hades is the best game in that list and you didn't even tried it?!
i obviously want to play it but ykno...it's just such an effort to sit down and do anything. i will eventually get to playing it. just need to sort my head out.

You don't have to "break up" with gaming, or any other form of entertainment. Just stop doing what you don't enjoy and start doing what you do. It's not that big of a deal, or needs to be broadcasted to the world. I don't like sitting still to do anything a lot of the time, so I go running, hiking, cook, hit weights, etc. It's not a crisis that you don't enjoy something, just do what makes you feel good or brings satisfaction and leave it at that.
it's a gaming forum and i'm struggling to enjoy games when i used to love playing them. i only posted it cause maybe other people feel the same. i'm not looking for attention or broadcasting it to the world. just sharing my experience.

Last edited:
I had a lot riding on CP2077 too. Bought a ps5 and a tv just to play it. Played a couple hours and haven’t touched them since. Meanwhile I play pkmn Go everyday. Damn phones.

i obviously want to play it but ykno...it's just such an effort to sit down and do anything. i will eventually get to playing it. just need to sort my head out.

it's a gaming forum and i'm struggling to enjoy games when i used to love playing them. i only posted it cause maybe other people feel the same. i'm not looking for attention or broadcasting it to the world. just sharing my experience.
I apologize if it came off harshly, but I didn't mean it as such. Your post came off a bit "heavy", and I was just trying to say is ok to grow out of something. Like I used to love 2D beat'em ups, but they disgust me now for the most part as cheap trash. I used to love Marvel vs Capcom, but it's just an unbalanced mess with a cast of characters where like 5% are actually viable. Leaving a game, hobby or life style is natural, and shouldn't be seen as negative.

swaffles23

I always go back to playing retro games when I get burned out with the newer stuff. It's a nice change of pace

Either that or just play hollow knight 👌

Last edited:

Vaelka

I am enjoying Nioh 2 a ton on PC right now.

Have you tried Total War Warhammer?
You could probably find 1 and 2 cheap which gives you Mortal Empires which is a ton of fun.
A lot of people totally overlook RTS games.

keram

i'm really struggling to enjoy games now. maybe i'm getting old or maybe it's crippling depression.

i was so excited for Cyberpunk and i know there is/was a lot of hate around it but i'm not here to shit on the game. i was really enjoying it but this is all i've got to show for "my most anticipated game of the year" since buying it at launch:

Screenshot-261.png

it made me think if i was that excited for a game and i've hardly been able to play it then what's the point anymore? there are games i want to buy but if i find it hard to sit down and play a game then why am i spending money on them? right now i have these games installed:

(last played)
Cyberpunk - a week ago
Hades - not played
Fortnite - fuck knows

there are other games i have an urge to go back to. i wanted to reinstall Diablo 3, Nier Automata, Dark Souls 3...but i know i'm not gonna manage to play them. there are games coming out soon that i want to buy like Persona 5 Strikers and Nier Replicant but again what's the point. it feels like a waste of money now.

this is also the first generation of consoles where i haven't bothered about getting a console. well i did get a Series X but returned it. cancelled my PS5 pre order. earlier in the year I sold my Switch cause i couldn't be arsed playing that anymore.

i don't really know what the point of this post is but i want to get share my feelings. maybe there are other people who feel the same. i think i'm gonna try finish up Cyberpunk, Death Stranding, and start Hades then that's it. I might buy the odd game going forward but I think i'm done with gaming. It's been a huge part of my life and it's sad i can't enjoy it anymore.

GAME OVER ...
You lost the game(s), but you won your life back !
Don't worry, be happy ! :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Humdinger

I'm sure this has been said already, but your problem isn't games; it's depression. A cardinal feature of depression is lack of enjoyment and interest in things you formerly found enjoyable and interesting. That's what you're describing. That's a symptom of depression.

I figure you know this already, but I'll say it just in case. Focus on the cause of your problem (depression). Don't get hung up in trying to solve the problem of liking/enjoying videogames -- that's a red herring. Once you recover from your depression, if you still lack interest/enjoyment in videogames, then let's talk about how to deal with that. But at this point, your problem is depression, not videogames.

I'm not a big believer in medication, personally. The data I'm aware of show that it's not much more effective than placebo. If you want my recommendation (I know I'm just a random stranger on the internet to you, and you've got no reason to grant me credibility, and that's fine), I'd say get CBT-based workbooks (e.g., Feeling Good) and start working directly on your depression. Get a good therapist if you can afford it (finding a good therapist can be tricky, I'll grant you).

Good luck.

Animagic

Banned

Screenshot-261.png

(last played)
Cyberpunk - a week ago
Hades - not played
Fortnite - fuck knows

Bro I’ve skipped entire generations and just did something else for 8 years. No big deal. Many of us have felt the same.
I skipped PS3 and 360 era and I’m skipping PS5 and X1X also. Just not interested in these systems or games at all.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll

If someone talks about "energy", you should know that he/she has health problems bigger than games, mentally or physically. I didn't read all the thread, i hope you are seeking a professional help. It won't get better with playing more games. Maybe you can relax a bit while shaming Phil Spencer here, but that's it, that's all the help you can get from this forum lol.

Ten_Fold

OP if you can afford to do so I would go seek out a therapist, if you feel like you have depression I would suggest to try to seek help.

1) Take a break from gaming. It sounds like you're burnt out. No big deal. Give it some time. You'll come back around.

2) Start exercising. Seriously. Start slow n just go for walks. But set goals. Longer times and distances. After a week or two start jogging. Get a membership to a gym. There are only VERY few cases of severe clinical depression that cannot be solved in this way which require medication and/or therapy (I am a professional in the medical field with a partial specialty in mental health, so I'm not just talking out my ass).

You'll be fine. Branch out. Get active.

Exanthus

Banned
An update if anyone cares. Have been taking a break from games for a few weeks now. Refunded Cyberpunk and waiting for them to patch it and add dlc/expansions. Stopped Death Stranding and will go back to it when I feel ready. Hades is a game I bought and never touched so again will give that a shot when I feel up to it.

have only really been loading up Rocket League at the weekend for a couple hours. Persona 5 Strikers is out soon which I am really excited for so hoping I can get into that and finish it. and maybe the feeling of being able to finish a game will help me go back to Death Stranding and finally finish that. We’ll see.

Going though something similar, hang in there buddy!

Lots of good advice in this thread that I won't reiterate.

I love video games. But, at one point, I was starting to get worn out on the direction of modern AAA games. But, luckily for me (hell, luckily for all of us), we can access, with somewhat reasonable effort, over 35 years of video game history, so we're not confined to always play the "latest and greatest" (which in my opinion are anything but).

So I've gone largely retro, and even when I was getting worn out of (modern) games, those retro games reignited my love for the hobby.

Daymos

I'm sure some people here would insult me for this and roll their eyes.. but I pair RPG gaming with other media and it enhances the experience. Like watching lord of the rings, willow, reading harry potter, and then playing a western RPG like witcher 3.. well actually playing baldurs gate 1 right now. AND I'm also watching anime (Ancient magus bride) and playing a JRPG- tokyo xanadu. One game or movie or book builds on the next and my mind becomes this fleshed out world to wander in and ignore reality. I kind of think of myself as a student of the RPG genre and i want to learn all there is to know about it.. I'm not young anymore and I have enough free time and patience to do it now.

Last edited:

gypsygib

Half of those games are only really fun with friends. Gaming is getting to the point where if you don't have a solid group of people to game with, gaming starts to seem dull which makes it less enjoyable for older people with busy lives.

I also know some people that used to game with other habits but when they got too old to indulge to excess also lost interest in gaming alone.

As you get older you will have less interest in finding the diamond key for the diamond shaped lock (literally ejected fragile dreams on first play and never bothered despite how gorgeous it looked for that). I get genuinely angry when bs filler steals time away from other things.

I cant be f'd with Cyberpunk atm despite it working great on my pc and being enjoyable; yet I will put hours into Sega Rally, Nights, iss98, hydrothunder etc... but in short blasts. I enjoy them even more than when they came out as I am in control of how much time I put in and get pretty instant reward. And no BS either. Press start to play.. 3 2 1 go!!!

Problem is if you have seen it all before or the reward isn't worth the effort then yeah why would you be motivated?

I recommend retro gaming and in person multiplayer. If no joy with that, try cooking new foods, diy, a short course in something new like perhaps archeology (can find free stuff that takes an hour or two online) also. The games will still be there if you get the itch again.

Doom Eternal strategy videos on youtube really got me into a good zone. I was having similar problems but still needed a way to blow off steam. I didn't like Eternal my first time through for the reasons most people criticize it for, but somehow got these videos in my YT algo. Now it's all I've played for a month except when I need a couple hours of Cyberpunk to decompress from Super Gore Nest master level runs.

Smokeberry

Neo Member
Video games are like women; take a break to recoup and you'll eventually feel the need to rub your dick on them again. 👍

Sejan

I always go back to playing retro games when I get burned out with the newer stuff. It's a nice change of pace

Either that or just play hollow knight 👌
Retro games are great for anyone in a funk. They are simpler to pick up, faster to get to the fun parts, and can be easily put down when necessary. Games like Super Mario 3/World, Sonic 2, and the like are pure therapy for me. Between nostalgia and simplicity, I don’t ever want to be without a way to play games like these.

Last edited:
Top Bottom