• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think I'm going digital next gen.

Blond

Banned
Just being real and I hate to say it, but it looks like I'm going digital next gen.

Games are going to start coming on 100gb disc and I gotta be honest, the install time on that is gonna get ridiculously long, not to mention that the day 1 patch is pretty much a guarantee these days meaning that the version you buy is pretty much outdated already.

God of War, one of my favorites this gen despite my complaining, I couldn't even use the high performance mode because that weekend my home internet was on the fritz and took all weekend to download the patch. But, had I downloaded it beforehand the patch was already pushed. I also bought Life is Strange 2... And the final episode must be downloaded separately.

GOTY editions aren't coming on multiple disc anymore and even greatest hits aren't patched versions so actually being "complete" is becoming more and more of a joke as downloads are still required.

Trade in is going to become a thing of the past, GameStop is going under, local video game stores are vanishing unless primarily retro because for no reason other than they can't afford to push copies like retail so they miss out on big game launches like Red Dead Redemption 2.

Unless publishers change their behavior this is the new normal and buying disc just doesn't seem like the thing to do at this point.

Blond

Banned
I don't need my physical versions to have the patches on the disc, as long as the game is playable in an acceptable state offline and I don't feel like I'm missing much. Like 90% of my 200+ PS4 games are perfectly fine off the disc offline, this narrative that patches are making discs worthless is so overblown.

It is when you have the enhanced versions of these consoles and suddenly all the things that make those versions enhanced are locked behind patches.

Korso

I'm have a sort of "old school" mentality about collecting physical games. Don't know that I could go full sigital unless it becomes the only way in the future.

Also, price variances are too drastic at the moment. $49.99 for A Plague Tale digital and $20 new physical. Just one example on PSN.

Goliathy

Banned
Great idea, especially with multi title resume, it’s amazing. I’m already full digital this gen and nextgen I can still play EVERYTHING easily.
And even multiple games at the same time. It’s amazing

It is when you have the enhanced versions of these consoles and suddenly all the things that make those versions enhanced are locked behind patches.
Yea I could see that being a big deal for people that really want 4K games, for me 1080p is good enough, but hey I go back and play old ass games that aren't even HD 🤷‍♂️. It all depends on the person's definition of an acceptable state.

brap

Banned
I'm have a sort of "old school" mentality about collecting physical games. Don't know that I could go full sigital unless it becomes the only way in the future.

Also, price variances are too drastic at the moment. $49.99 for A Plague Tale digital and $20 new physical. Just one example on PSN.
It's that way for a fuckton of games. 0 reason to buy digital outside of sales.

Gamerguy84

Install times should be really fast with the SSD.

Im a mix of physical and digital. I usually prefer physical but sometimes digital is cheaper.

Kagey K

Banned
I went this gen, and once you get used to it there’s no going back.

Now with the companies expanding ways to play, it feels like you get less for physical then you used to.

Blond

Banned
Yea I could see that being a big deal for people that really want 4K games, for me 1080p is good enough, but hey I go back and play old ass games that aren't even HD 🤷‍♂️. It all depends on the person's definition of an acceptable state.

Every tv, even budget one's, that are worth buying are 4k. It's not crazy to think that people adapting to a new standard would want to match that.

Blond

Banned
Install times should be really fast with the SSD.

Im a mix of physical and digital. I usually prefer physical but sometimes digital is cheaper.
I have a SSD in my Pro, 840 Pro and the install time isn't anything to write home about.

It's that way for a fuckton of games. 0 reason to buy digital outside of sales.

I can download a patched up to date version of the game faster than I can install a 1.0 version that must be patched.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I was completely digital this gen and I'm happy that Sony and MS were basically able to match the dl speeds that Steam had. Both companies really stepped up their digital distribution. On the PS3 and 360 days it was godawful. It took me a day to download Last of Us where it would have probably taken me a couple hours on Steam at the time.

Every tv, even budget one's, that are worth buying are 4k. It's not crazy to think that people adapting to a new standard would want to match that.
I think your losing the focus of what we were talking about. The question was if the game was playable in an acceptable state without the patches and I think most people wouldn't refuse to play an old PS4 game they loved solely because it's 1080p and not 4K.

gioGAF

I'm going to continue to do what I did this gen, buy physical for all the games that are standalone or mostly standalone experiences (eg. Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Dragon Quest, etc.) and digital for online based games (MMOs, multiplayer focused titles, etc.).

Gamerguy84

I have a SSD in my Pro, 840 Pro and the install time isn't anything to write home about.

I think the PRO uses a sata 2 connection. The PS5 will be pcie 4.0 and the IO speed will be much much higher. So installs should be way faster.

I dont know how fast it can read data off a bluray. Gig internet should give the fastest install times.

memphisba

i have gone partial digital in ps3 and fullly digital in ps4 and have never looked back since.

digital game collection is like a digital jukebox esp that i shuffle games with my short attention span.

Mendou

Banned
I recently bought Metal Gear Solid 4, which otherwise may have been extremely rare to find digitally if servers selling the game went off or Konami decided to no longer sell the game. Apart from buying digital games on PC, I always try to get physical games for consoles.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I made the switch this gen, and I couldn't believe it.... because I've always been adamant about getting physical copies of stuff.

Thing is, between patches and DLC and discs/carts not even containing the entire game, the benefit of having a physical copy has largely disappeared. Digital does have its benefits in terms of being able to have a library of stuff ready to go whenever you want, and as long as consoles aren't trying to phone home, I think it's a fair compromise where I still feel like I own the games rather than just rent them.

Max_Po

Banned
In all honestly ... any one who goes day1 full digital is probably does not has their priorities straight...

I have almost 400 digital XboxOne/Original_Xbox and Xbox360 games... but I bought them when they on sale... significant sale... If I buy a physical game... there is a good chance I can sell it if I do not like it.

Grinchy

Banned
The only thing I still like about owning a disc is being able to sell it if I'm done with it or ended up not liking it. Buying a full price game that doesn't scratch the itch and being completely stuck with it sucks.

Also, I've been buying a ton of physical copies lately for bargain bin prices. Getting 5 games for the cost of a single one has been great.

ZywyPL

Banned
Yup, with day-1 patches being almost a norm, or even some of the game's actual content being available only digitally, there's close to zero reasons to stay physical. And the games will follow you for generations ahead thanks to BC becoming a thing, just like they do on PC. In the long term you're only doing yourself a favor.

Magik85

Id rather to wait 20-40 minutes installation from disc, than wait for like 4-6 hours for downloading 50-100GB game from PS Store xD
Also some of the prices are really ridiculous.
For example, AC Odyssey digital is nearly 3 times higher than physical copy back here.

Hostile_18

Banned
Buy your store credit first and the price difference isnt much at all.

I'd hate to play something like the 1.0 version of the Witcher 3 or Days Gone. Games change alot. Also physical games I might have sold that I initially didnt click with, I might give a second chance 6 months down the road and end up enjoying alot (like RDR2).

I don't need my physical versions to have the patches on the disc, as long as the game is playable in an acceptable state offline and I don't feel like I'm missing much. Like 90% of my 200+ PS4 games are perfectly fine off the disc offline, this narrative that patches are making discs worthless is so overblown.
I agree, I can play offline, from disc, every game I own on ps4! Maybe OP is talking about big AAA games like most modern shooters but there are hundreds of games wiith all content on disc (with optional patches to improve performance o fix things, at best)!

On console physical is the only way for me. On PC I use mainly GOG so my offline backup installers are just like discs, with the plus of multiple backup copies! :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

One problem I have with physical games is that more and more the discs ship with very little data on them, and you have to download the game anyway. One game came and had like 5gig on the entire bluray disc, and I had to download the 70 odd gig of the actual game.

Portugeezer

If physical remains cheaper I will continue with physical.

One problem I have with physical games is that more and more the discs ship with very little data on them, and you have to download the game anyway. One game came and had like 5gig on the entire bluray disc, and I had to download the 70 odd gig of the actual game.
What game is that? An MMO maybe?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I went digital on Xbox during Gen 7 since my kids would always leave discs out, damage/lose them, loan them to friends. It just makes everything so much easier and more streamlined. It makes BC a breeze, and now all our games move forward another gen. To each their own, of course.

Jadsey

Buying physical is fine as long as you are happy to resell the game and get some money back.

Retro collecting is fine as the games are on the media.

Collecting current gen physical is just a mass of pointless metal & plastic.

ROMhack

If physical remains cheaper I will continue with physical.

This is about as far as I go too. Videogames are a real outlier in that physical copies are usually much cheaper than digital ones.

Yup, with day-1 patches being almost a norm, or even some of the game's actual content being available only digitally, there's close to zero reasons to stay physical. And the games will follow you for generations ahead thanks to BC becoming a thing, just like they do on PC. In the long term you're only doing yourself a favor.

This though is true. I went on a digital minimalist lifestyle for a while and turned my PS4 wi-fi off. It become quite clear that not using the internet is a hindrance for gaming. I played a few with horrible bugs and ended up having to always turn it back on.... cue some 20gb downloads.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

Lower carbon footprint - less plastic, paper and aluminum to produce the disc and case. Less cardboard packaging to ship and less goods being transported around the planet. At the end less clutter in your home.

All good things. But there is no logical or justifiable reason why digital should ever be more expensive than physical.

Gexxy1

I can't resell my digital games and they typically cost more to begin with.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I went 95% digital this gen. I prefer jumping between games and sit away from my console. (Lazy)
with both xbox and plaustation having quick resume and start to gams next gen its even more reason to go digital.

I normally buy disc if its a case I really like, my top games, collectors editions or really good sale.

I'm all digital since 2013and all is well. :pie_roffles:
Sometimes I take physical some special editions or LTD.
What I still do not share is that they have the same price as the physical counterpart, it makes no sense considering that the costs of the supply chain do not exist.

Top Bottom