• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think I'm going digital next gen.

Matt_Fox

Quick resume - worth mentioning for next gen. How will this work when all your games are on physical discs? Will you have to get up and swap discs over every time? That makes the feature rather pointless.

If so, that's a genuine plus point towards going digital next gen.

Jadsey

Quick resume - worth mentioning for next gen. How will this work when all your games are on physical discs? Will you have to get up and swap discs over every time? That makes the feature rather pointless.

But Quick Resume seems pretty pointless to me anyway. I think if games are so mind numbingly boring that you need to stop them and immediately play another game then stop that and play another game, then perhaps people need to play different games on a better console.

Matt_Fox

But Quick Resume seems pretty pointless to me anyway. I think if games are so mind numbingly boring that you need to stop them and immediately play another game then stop that and play another game, then perhaps people need to play different games on a better console.

I'm old dude! I grew up with amusement arcades in the 80s where you literally did just that, 5 mins on one game, 3 mins on the next, etc...

I think the feature will probably get more usage than you might think, and there are still plenty of short-sharp arcade experiences out there (such as Trials, Dangerous Golf, etc) that will lend themselves to quick resume.

GymWolf

not going digital until digital games are 50 euros or less and not full price.
i pay that price with preorder promotions for physical copies, not gonna pay 20+ euros more to get something less that i can't even re-sell.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I know people love my lists;

+Never sold out.
+Save the environment.
+Latest patched version of game.
+Midnight launches for every game.
+Switch between games without getting up/swapping discs.
+Games can be downloaded over night.
+ More profit for developers/publishers.
+ Convinience

-More expensive
-Can't be traded in, sold on or refunded.
-Question of true ownership/digital licences getting revoked.
-Content can be removed i.e licenced music in bought games or full games available to buy.
-Loss of enjoyment in terms of displaying collection.

T-Cake

You're missing a point here - you don't immediately have to play another game. You can switch your console off for the day and pick up at the exact point again in any of your saved games. It will help to cut down on load times where you don't have to sit through all the splash screens at the beginning, menus, etc.

Last edited:

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
The convenience is extremely appealing.

You don't know how annoying it is to go from a digital game to having to put a disc into the console. Switching on the fly is highly alluring.

On the other hand, I still feel the necessity to want a physical copy of particular games. (Final Fantasy 7 RE) and other high profile games.

The draw is in the package and collectability aspect.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I am 100% digital this gen and have no regrets on both consoles. games are always available and easy to switch plus I game share

Last edited:

-Troid-

Banned
I think there's still more reasons to buy physical:

1) They get cheaper faster. A lot of games are like $40 or less physical on Amazon a month or two after release but still full price on any given console's online store.

2) I can lend/borrow games without having to share my login information. Just give them the disc and they can borrow the "license" for as long as they need on their own account.

3) Installing from a disc is faster than downloading in most situations. Even with day one updates installing the disc then the update is faster than having to download both.

4) It's nice to have a physical disc in the event you get stuck somewhere where the internet is shit/unavailabe, which happened to me once. I had to live somewhere with no internet for a couple months but was still able to play Dark Souls 3 when it came out.

GriffinCorp

I've always been a physical disc guy. But about half way through the generation on Xbox I made the switch. I think it was when the Xbox One S came out. The sales on games were great, so I repurchased my favorites. Once the Xbox One X came out I gave the Xbox One S and all the physical Xbox games to my sister as a gift. I've really enjoyed digital on the Xbox, PS4 is a different story, I don't trust Sony on much of anything. Just assume that PS4 digital purchased games are only going to play on PS4, Just like the dozens of PS3 games only play on PS3, so I have not purchased a whole lot other than Resogun, GTA Trilogy(Rebuy from PS3), Resident Evils, etc. I probably have 140 titles on Xbox.

Going forward I would like for Sony to really make a stand and support their gamers. With next gen around the corner I'm still on the fence on which console I want to purchase. The Xbox One X still feels powerful and new to me, so I'm leaning towards Sony. But I do wonder if we will have GameStop's, Bestbuy's at the end of this next gen? All digital future is upon us.

GriffinCorp

In all honestly ... any one who goes day1 full digital is probably does not has their priorities straight...

I have almost 400 digital XboxOne/Original_Xbox and Xbox360 games... but I bought them when they on sale... significant sale... If I buy a physical game... there is a good chance I can sell it if I do not like it.
I have thought about doing this as well, My friend does. He'll buy the game physically and if he hates it, he's sells it back to Gamestop or sells it after completing it only to buy it later on sell digitally, when it's only 10/15 dollars. I have been burned on a few titles before that I wished I could sell back. Digital games sales are so much better than the previous gen.

Boss Mog

Physical all the way.
source.gif

Dazrael

What kind of storage capacities are digital only people looking at? I’ve got a 2tb HD in my PS4 and even now space is running low. At least with physical you don’t have to re-download a game if you want to save hard drive space.

I think the question is all digital worth it for how limited storage space can be?

wolywood

90% of my game purchases this gen are digital as I don't pay tax on them and have a small condo with limited space. But there's no one right way to build a collection.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Think I‘m going digital rent only (PS Now, Game Pass etc) next gen. I only tend to finish games once anyway these days.

Mista

Banned
Unfortunately I already did that this gen. Apart from collector’s editions I don’t have physical editions anymore

I am ashamed but isn’t my fault at the same time. I’m not the one that decided to treat physical discs like ownership keys and download the whole game of the store at the end. Fuck them for doing that

LukeAJN

I went fully digital this gen, with over 200 games on my ps4 I only have 2 physical disks (Destiny 1 which came with my og ps4 and blops 4 which came with my slim). However I kinda miss having the library on a desk so will be getting most of my games next gen as physical copies (with the exception of good sales on the store).

Nymphae

Banned
I never hear anyone talk about borrowing or trading games anymore. When I was a kid, my friends and I would swap the games we owned. Everyone has to own it themselves now.

Gargus

Banned
Why I will always get physical games as long as they are around........

1 physical games are cheaper. Physical games go on sale, get clearanced, can be bought used, can use rewards points from credit cards or stores, etc. For instance on playstation store right now days gone is 40 dollars but Walmart and other stores have it for 20 and it can be found cheaper used on Ebay. I bought games on black Friday for 1/3 of the their digital costs at the time.

2 I actually own my games. When you buy digital you never really own them. You only have access to them for as long as you can download them. Physical games I can keep and play in 25 years if I want, I can sell them on ebay, I can let a friend borrow it, I can trade it, or do whatever I want because I own it.

There are a lot of other reasons but paying more for something that doesn't actually belong to you is more than enough reason for me.

Nobody is blaming you OP. The state of physical copies is declining by the day and the convenience of digital is not something to be ignored.

Dark Rider

Going digital forfeit all my consumer rights so I won't do it personally. These companies could design their digital stores in a way that preserve the same consumer rights we enjoy with physical releases to make the transition to digital stores easier to accept but they are choosing not to on purpose for sinister reasons that will render every single right we have now void. they are twisting people arms now with how they are handling their physical releases to make the push for digital and in my opinion the solution to fix it is to not buy digital at all, this way they will be forced to fix their physical releases because that copy is the one they are being judged on not the digital copy.

Also they need to pay for our storage solutions this is an extra cost on the consumer going digital especially with the inflated files sizes we are being bombarded with.

Reactions: Zog

Deanington

Hmm, I have been on Steam for 8-9 years. Through out that time I think I purchased 3-4 physical copies of games. Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyseey, Skyrim for the PC, and Dead Rising for the One. Everything else has been digital and I love it. I dont think I would ever go back to physical if I had a choice. Unless its something extremely cool for a collectors item.

Gamerguy84

With PS5 being USB 3.2 does that mean we can do an external SSD and get great speeds for external storage of games.

Genei_Jin

Neo Member
I've been digital all this gen. It's great. The biggest issue for me was physical games taking up space in my house. My basement looked like a game store. I also rarely reply games once I beat them.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Last time I got a disc was probably 2015.

This gen got digital games getting good deals unlike last gen, and when combined with Home Sharing which I do, it's cheaper to a digital download than buying a game and trading it back to GS for $20 or sell to someone on Kijiji for $30. And no need to worry about hassles selling shit where people on Craigslist and Kijiji are weeding you down another $5 or guys who bail the day of meeting.

Only problem is that stock SSD is small in next gen, so got to pony up and buy an external SSD unless you can live with only a certain number of games on the SSD and have everything else on your HDD where you swap back and forth or play HDD games at current gen specs (which I think you can). No next gen boosts.

What I'll probably do is weed down my hoard of HDD games to ones I actually might play, get that Seagate SeX SSD and manage my games across the two SSDs.

I think my external HDD is already using 2TB out of the 3 TB.

I can probably gas 3/4 of the games downloaded and not even notice.

Zog

Banned
Going digital forfeit all my consumer rights so I won't do it personally. These companies could design their digital stores in a way that preserve the same consumer rights we enjoy with physical releases to make the transition to digital stores easier to accept but they are choosing not to on purpose for sinister reasons that will render every single right we have now void. they are twisting people arms now with how they are handling their physical releases to make the push for digital and in my opinion the solution to fix it is to not buy digital at all, this way they will be forced to fix their physical releases because that copy is the one they are being judged on not the digital copy.

Also they need to pay for our storage solutions this is an extra cost on the consumer going digital especially with the inflated files sizes we are being bombarded with.

It's nice to see someone else that recognizes the extra cost of storage that has been passed to the consumer.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I was digital only this gen and plan to do the same next gen as well.
No clutter, I don't have to track down a copy of a game, no swapping discs, etc...

Pantz

It's nice but it's going to be a bit more annoying and more expensive next-gen with small internal ssds. Going to be lots of transferring necessary.

teezzy

Banned
I love Steam and have more games than I could ever play on there.

Going all digital for consoles just seems foreign. Theres something fun about putting the cases on a shelf. Idk

Grinchy

Banned

You can tie a disc to a console. Microsoft was going to do it for this generation. But, since they wanted to essentially charge a fee to the next person who put the used disc in their system in order to transfer ownership to the new console, they got shit on.

They could tie discs to a console in a way where if you gave your disc to a friend, or sold it, the game would no longer function on the original console it was placed inside. This way, you only ever have to install from your disc, but never have to put it in again as long as the ownership isn't transferred.

Dark Rider

It's nice to see someone else that recognizes the extra cost of storage that has been passed to the consumer.

It's extra painful with HDDs capacity stagnating for a long time and now it's SSD waiting time to get decent capacities proportionate to those games file sizes for an fordable price. People think 100GB is too much for games now? it will get worse those companies had to pay for the storage before so they cared for optimization and compression technologies with minimal impact on the quality but now with the cost shifted to the consumers they don't care and by the end of this generation some games would be pushing 200GB-300GB probably. People say SSDs are getting cheaper, yes but for games around 200GB each they don't have ANYWHERE near enough capacity and the price will NOT be cheap.

Their trampling over the consumers right is worse of course but the storage costs should be something tangible for people paying for the digital game full price then paying for the storage but not many mention it as you said.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zog
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You are aware games that digital games still need to install right?

Lukin1978

I never thought I'd switch but I did I'm all digital thanks to gamepass and cheap online sales. Plugged in 2 external hard drives never have to go to a store again.

Zog

Banned
I never thought I'd switch but I did I'm all digital thanks to gamepass and cheap online sales. Plugged in 2 external hard drives never have to go to a store again.

Until the day you realize that your digital purchases have really just been long term rentals and they can be taken away at any time and for any reason. There are no laws to protect consumers of digital purchases.

_Ex_

I'm all for offline preservation and everything... but aren't a lot of modern game discs basically just installers that suck the majority of the actual game data down as a huge download? And/or require a massive patch to even be basically playable?

Stuart360

Just being real and I hate to say it, but it looks like I'm going digital next gen.

Games are going to start coming on 100gb disc and I gotta be honest, the install time on that is gonna get ridiculously long, not to mention that the day 1 patch is pretty much a guarantee these days meaning that the version you buy is pretty much outdated already.

God of War, one of my favorites this gen despite my complaining, I couldn't even use the high performance mode because that weekend my home internet was on the fritz and took all weekend to download the patch. But, had I downloaded it beforehand the patch was already pushed. I also bought Life is Strange 2... And the final episode must be downloaded separately.

GOTY editions aren't coming on multiple disc anymore and even greatest hits aren't patched versions so actually being "complete" is becoming more and more of a joke as downloads are still required.

Trade in is going to become a thing of the past, GameStop is going under, local video game stores are vanishing unless primarily retro because for no reason other than they can't afford to push copies like retail so they miss out on big game launches like Red Dead Redemption 2.

Unless publishers change their behavior this is the new normal and buying disc just doesn't seem like the thing to do at this point.
Unless you have NASA internet, it will probably be quicker than downloading 100gb.

Rbk_3

I pretty much have. I game share with a buddy on Xbox and obviously IO don't buy physical on PC. Last physical game I bought was RDR2 when Amazon had an E3 pre-order deal on it.

Top Bottom