• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think RAPTURE from Bioshock is the greatest setting/atmosphere ever in a game.

DO you think Rapture from Bioshock is the best setting/atmosphere in a game?

• hell yes

Votes: 43 48.9%
  • fuck no

Votes: 45 51.1%

• Total voters

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
A once thriving metropolis sunken into the Abyss and now haunted by its former inhabitants.

- Absolutely mindblowing graphics at the time.
- Not open world. You see it how the creators want you to.
- Absolutely DRIPPING with atmosphere.

Just walking into that lighthouse for the first time.. Unmatched atmosphere in the literal first few minutes of the game. And it stays ON POINT for the entire game.

The atmosphere is like no other game out there. To this day I still think its unmatched.

Then.. The setting itself.. Wow. Its still unique even all these years later. How it hasnt been cloned countless times is shocking.

babylon.jpg

bioshockrapture-widejpg.jpeg

The things I would do for a proper Next Gen return to Rapture. No cross gen shit, no open world nonsense. Just Ken Levine, Rapture and next gen glory. Man...

Bragr

Banned
Agreed, it may be the best, it's certainly up there. I hope they do an RTX upgrade at some point, as all the water surfaces with Ray Tracing would be stunning.

Kokoloko85

Its one of the best for sure.
Id like an expanded version of the game. Maybe before Rapture fell or while it was going into chaos

It is absolutely up there with the greats. My absolute favorite is still probably Novigrad City from Witcher 3 or maybe the Hyrule as a whole in BotW, but regardless, Rapture is amazing. Bioshock and Half-Life 2 are two games that absolutely nail that lived in city environment to me as far as FPS's go.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
A once thriving metropolis sunken into the Abyss and now haunted by its former inhabitants.

- Absolutely mindblowing graphics at the time.
- Not open world. You see it how the creators want you to.
- Absolutely DRIPPING with atmosphere.

Just walking into that lighthouse for the first time.. Unmatched atmosphere in the literal first few minutes of the game. And it stays ON POINT for the entire game.

The atmosphere is like no other game out there. To this day I still think its unmatched.

Then.. The setting itself.. Wow. Its still unique even all these years later. How it hasnt been cloned countless times is shocking.

babylon.jpg

bioshockrapture-widejpg.jpeg

The things I would do for a proper Next Gen return to Rapture. No cross gen shit, no open world nonsense. Just Ken Levine, Rapture and next gen glory. Man...

For better atmosphere... Only Gravity Rush.

And if we are talking about Bioshock... Bioshock infinite is better than the 1.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Rapture in BS1 was incredible. I wont vote in the poll as I am not sure if it is "OMG THE BEST EVA" but ya. This is one of the earliest games I played when I got back into PC gaming and I loved every minute.

Robins

It is great. I really enjoyed the first one. The book is really good too I thought. There is so much potential for this universe.

Ulysses 31

Nothing beats S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so far IMO.

Making your way to the brain scorcher in Shadow of Chernobyl.

Fighting through an anomaly and mutant infested forest at night during heavy rain in Clear Sky.

Kupfer

2007 was a great year because of Bioshock, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and my beloved 8800GTS G92.
I think I fell more in love with S.TA.L.K.E.R., but replayed Bioshock like two years ago and it still was as great as 13 years ago.

Alandring

The atmosphere of Rapture was the reason why I was unable to play Bioshock and Bioshock 2. So I recognize it's great, but it's also too oppressive for me.

I really enjoyed Bioshock Infinite.

Tiamat2san

Voted yes.
Maybe not the best of all time but one of the best.

beautiful , haunting with real vibe.
Colourful yet dark and sinister.

I’d love a new one or a remaster with unreal engine 5 on next-gen hardware.

Von Hugh

I become somewhat a fan of the art deco style due to this game alone.

Kind of hyperbolic answers in the poll, but I answered 'yes' anyway.

Escape from Butcher Bay has got some fantastic atmosphere as well:

As does Thief (3):

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I don't think it's THE best, but most certainly one of the best for sure. One of the most unique as well, especially at the time.

Top Bottom