• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think someone on Steam is trying to scam me

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Logged into Steam today and got this message:

[2:01 PM]
ItsTime:
I just want to apologize first and it's because I was about to report someone for stealing my items on steam but I accidentally reported your steam account instead of him, but I tried make an appeal to the steam employee and they told me that your steam account will be permanently suspended/banned.

I asked what was stolen and they provide an email of a report with it and then

[2:03 PM]
ItsTime:
I already explained to them that it was a mistake profile but they're asking for me to ask the person that I accidentally reported explain it to them, would you please help me to explain it to them that i reported you by mistake?

[2:06 PM]
ItsTime:
Steam Community :: Blue
https://steamcommunity.com/id/eulb

can you please help me explain it to the steam developer that's him add him and explain to him just in case Via Discord : Blue(Official)#3799

I'm not sure why Steam would make me use Discord to resolve a dispute like this. It's pretty fishy.

Mahnmut

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
That's the dumbest scam attempt I have ever seen. First, just look how stupid it is. Second, why would a Valve employee, who can access every transaction and conversation on their platform, need your help doing their job? Block and move on.

I have a TF2 backpack worth like $2k so I get relentless scam attempts every week.

Larxia

Had exactly the same thing about a month ago, someone on discord told me they reported me by mistake and that steam admins told him to tell me to add them (the "steam admin") as friend to explain my case... lol nonsense.

Last edited:

Holammer

Haven't had this particular scam. However, there are variants where people comment on your uploaded images. Usually variations of that, saying they want to repay you for X by giving a bitcoin link and the like.
Had a bunch of those for awhile till Valve stomped out the problem.

SLB1904

Banned
Logged into Steam today and got this message:

[2:01 PM]
ItsTime:
I just want to apologize first and it's because I was about to report someone for stealing my items on steam but I accidentally reported your steam account instead of him, but I tried make an appeal to the steam employee and they told me that your steam account will be permanently suspended/banned.

I asked what was stolen and they provide an email of a report with it and then

[2:03 PM]
ItsTime:
I already explained to them that it was a mistake profile but they're asking for me to ask the person that I accidentally reported explain it to them, would you please help me to explain it to them that i reported you by mistake?

[2:06 PM]
ItsTime:
Steam Community :: Blue
https://steamcommunity.com/id/eulb

can you please help me explain it to the steam developer that's him add him and explain to him just in case Via Discord : Blue(Official)#3799

I'm not sure why Steam would make me use Discord to resolve a dispute like this. It's pretty fishy.
sounds legit

Hello this is Gabe Newell. I can confirm that is a scammer. Can you please pm me your login information so i can apply extra super protection from scammers to your account. Sincerely Gabe Newell.

Top Bottom