• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think the Wii U concept actually had a lot of potential

Tobor

Pretend it's 2006. You walk into a Best Buy and there's a huge crowd around a display TV. People are laughing and clapping and having fun, and they're all waiting to take turns. It's a Wii Sports demo.

The Wii remote/Wii Sports combo was a hugely successful gimmick for a reason.

It was immediately accessible and easy to understand. "Swing it like a tennis racket". That's it. You didn't need it be explained beyond the obvious. Swing it like a tennis racket.

The complications and cruft of 20+ years of gameplay and controller design were swept away and replaced with simple arcade like fun.

Fast forward to the Wii U. There are no crowds at Best Buy. The gamepad is the opposite of the Wii remote. It's not exciting. It's hard to understand the benefits without it being explained in detail. The software does a poor job of selling it. It's not accessible. Add to that the confusion over whether it's a console or a peripheral.

The Wii U console was flawed from concept. It's just not a good idea as a follow up to the Wii.

It was doomed from the start. The only things that could have helped were a different name and no gamepad, with better specs instead of it. But even then, there were forces outside of its control working against it, like Sony returning to winning form instead of the mistakes it made with the PS3.

It's a great system, failure or not. I just wish it could have gotten some third party support, as I love off-tv play so much.

MilesTeg

Banned
Part of my disappointment with Wii U is that having a screen, and microphone, and camera combo on your controller does have a lot of potential, for feedback and interaction, for bridging the local and online multiplayer experience, etc. potential which aligns itself with Nintendo's preexisting philosophies, which Nintendo doesn't and will never explore because Nintendoes what the fuck nobody else capable of logic and reason would.

Yeah, what bugs me the most about some of Nintendo's games is how little they use local two player split screen. Imagine a 3D Mario game that is co-op throughout with each player having their own screen and freedom of movement in the game world. There is an absolute ton of potential for new and awesome gameplay with a co-op 3D Mario.

Also, I've thought about how a 2D game could benefit from dual screens in co-op. No more being restricted by another player surely opens up some possibilities.

When Nintendo revealed SM3DW, it's like they made a game that was still limited by one screen, which I thought was a shame.

ConceptX

The people I talk to don't even know there is a successor to the Wii.

Nintendo got more wrong on the marketing/appeal side.

Also can we dispel this myth that more powerful hardware = more sales. It may be true this generation but the Wii and PS2 were the weakest technically speaking.

This is a HUGE issue still.

The name is terrible, I know several people who think the Wii U is just an upgrade to the Wii thanks to the name, so they ignore it, because they already have a Wii.

Whilst it sounds incredibly trivial to us, as enthusiasts, or members of the industry, to the average consumer, it's an actual issue.

MilesTeg

Banned
Pretend it's 2006. You walk into a Best Buy and there's a huge crowd around a display TV. People are laughing and clapping and having fun, and they're all waiting to take turns. It's a Wii Sports demo.

It was immediately accessible and easy to understand. "Swing it like a tennis racket". That's it. You didn't need it be explained beyond the obvious. Swing it like a tennis racket.

The complications and cruft of 20+ years of gameplay and controller design were swept away and replaced with simple arcade like fun.

Fast forward to the Wii U. There are no crowds at Best Buy. The gamepad is the opposite of the Wii remote. It's not exciting. It's hard to understand the benefits without it being explained in detail. The software does a poor job of selling it. It's not accessible. Add to that the confusion over whether it's a console or a peripheral.

The Wii U console was flawed from concept. It's just not a good idea as a follow up to the Wii.

I would agree that it's not a great follow up to the Wii or a smart move from Nintendo. Which is why I'm kinda of imagining how the product could have been if it was not from Nintendo I guess.

Rolf NB

Nintendo simply cannot be trusted to make platforms anymore. The Wii U at best is an appeal to the Gamecube crowd, but at a much higer price, and after falling five+ years behind the competition in multiple key aspects.

It's not as much "The Wii U would have been better if only not-Nintendo had designed it". You wouldn't get anything at all similar to the Wii U if you strike Nintendo out of the equation.

The Gamepad would have a much higher resolution display, probably a bigger screen. This one is kinda tricky since we know Nintendo specifically engineered the stream from Wii U to Gamepad, however with more power perhaps at least 720p stream would be doable.
A reasonable design would have no screen on the controller at all. Going by current software support for the touch screen its utility has all but dissolved outside of "remote play", and that feature can be sold as a premium accessory without weighing down every single box. Looking at two screens at once, or even just flipping between them regularly is simply not comfortable if they're so massively assymetric in focal distance.

AmFreak

Anyway, I'm really just speculating on how much better the console could have been. I do like the Wii U, my only real issue is the remaining game support. Just imagining what the product could have been like in a different reality I guess.

The gamepad can only succeed if it offers better/special gameplay.
You didn't present any gameplay ideas that justify the big extra cost.
If it doesn't improve the gameplay all you are doing is selling a console with a tablet.
And this is a horrible idea cause everything you could do with the tablet could be copied by your competitor with any other non packed in phone/tablet.

LowSignal

So did the N-Gage.

Nokia_N-Gage.png

Implementation is key.

I love the Wii U, but I understand it's lack of appeal

I had the taco phone, I played tony hawk all the time. Wii U is a good product it just didn't catch on well enough

Ive talked about this at length before with friends, but I find the Wii U gamepad to be a big disappointment that could have been awesome if the console wasn't so weak

Lets look at the stats
1280x720 Main = 921600 Pixels
854x480 Gamepad = 409920 Pixels

So the Wii U is pushing out 1331520 pixels. (compare this to the 1440000 that is 900p). Its pretty clear that the hardware is really only strong enough to support the 720p main display, and even then without any antialiasing. This is really unfortunate when playing games like Mario kart where the person using the Gamepad ends up with that tiny screen split 4 ways. If the console was strong enough to show independent images then the gamepad user could have their entire screen on the gamepad. This has multiple benefits like allowing more comfortable play for 2players where both get entire screens, or allowing the gamepad user to sit somewhere that might not have as good of a view of the TV, or enabling 5 player with 1 on gamepad 4 on TV.

There was also Hyrule Warriors, which had an excellent co-op design as it did what I said would have been great for Mario Kart, however the visuals for both players looked like ass, and the framerate suffered horribly.

Ignoring any CPU increased requirements the WiiU at about Xbox One power could've achieved this dream. I'd love to see what developers could come up with if the hardware wasnt holding back the decoupling of the gamepad from the main display so badly.

Local multiplayer without split-screen was one of the most exciting things to me about the Wii U, and I wish more games took advantage. After becoming addicted to this in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, I was really disappointed that it wasn't a part of Mario Kart 8.

Noobcraft

I don't get the power argument. Yes it is weaker than current gen consoles but that hasn't stopped Nintendo from putting out great looking games at 60 fps, when comparable consoles (ps3/360) often struggled to hit 30. I don't think pushing more pixels would improve Nintendo's games honestly, especially with their aesthetic.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I don't get the power argument. Yes it is weaker than current gen consoles but that hasn't stopped Nintendo from putting out great looking games at 60 fps, when comparable consoles (ps3/360) often struggled to hit 30.

It stopped everyone else from putting games on it. Nobody will continue what is essentially compromising and expensive cross-gen development just for the Wii U.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
GamePad / off screen TV play is the best innovation in the past few years. I am spoiled rotten. I'll never buy another home console without some type of similar feature. ... I understand PS4/Vita is close but not quite the same.

I don't get the power argument. Yes it is weaker than current gen consoles but that hasn't stopped Nintendo from putting out great looking games at 60 fps, when comparable consoles (ps3/360) often struggled to hit 30. I don't think pushing more pixels would improve Nintendo's games honestly, especially with their aesthetic.
some antialiasing on mario kart sure as hell would be nice

MilesTeg

Banned
Ive talked about this at length before with friends, but I find the Wii U gamepad to be a big disappointment that could have been awesome if the console wasn't so weak

Lets look at the stats
1280x720 Main = 921600 Pixels
854x480 Gamepad = 409920 Pixels

So the Wii U is pushing out 1331520 pixels. (compare this to the 1440000 that is 900p). Its pretty clear that the hardware is really only strong enough to support the 720p main display, and even then without any antialiasing. This is really unfortunate when playing games like Mario kart where the person using the Gamepad ends up with that tiny screen split 4 ways. If the console was strong enough to show independent images then the gamepad user could have their entire screen on the gamepad. This has multiple benefits like allowing more comfortable play for 2players where both get entire screens, or allowing the gamepad user to sit somewhere that might not have as good of a view of the TV, or enabling 5 player with 1 on gamepad 4 on TV.

There was also Hyrule Warriors, which had an excellent co-op design as it did what I said would have been great for Mario Kart, however the visuals for both players looked like ass, and the framerate suffered horribly.

Ignoring any CPU increased requirements the WiiU at about Xbox One power could've achieved this dream. I'd love to see what developers could come up with if the hardware wasnt holding back the decoupling of the gamepad from the main display so badly.

I agree, that really has been an issue. Not having dual screen in MK8 was a big disappointment for me. After getting a taste in Black Ops 2 Wii U, I really am not a fan of playing traditional split screen on my Wii U or at all really.

digdug2k

I don't really buy any of the "flawed concept" stuff here (i.e. I think in our tablet drenched society that tablet isn't confusing, and in fact I think a lot of people would probably be excited about it because of that), but I do think its strange that Nintendo STILL hasn't really done a "Will Sports 2 Online HD++ X-Treme MAX" marketing blitz for the WiiU in any of their Chrstimas seasons. It seems like a no-brainer way to sell consoles to the casuals.

Off-TV play works great and is a technical marvel, but the fact it has to be done in very close range to the TV does make it a bit of a gimmick. It's cool, but why choose to look at the small slightly crap screen when you could be looking at the big one right in front of you?

When it's late at night and you're already curled up in bed and want to play a few minutes of Mario 64 :)

thefro

There'd be more current 3rd party game ports and interest with more power.

You had people saying "lol Wii U is weaker than PS3/360!" for the first year of release, which certainly didn't help the launch.

MilesTeg

Banned
The gamepad can only succeed if it offers better/special gameplay.
You didn't present any gameplay ideas that justify the big extra cost.
If it doesn't improve the gameplay all you are doing is selling a console with a tablet.
And this is a horrible idea cause everything you could do with the tablet could be copied by your competitor with any other non packed in phone/tablet.

The post was long enough as is without getting into gameplay ideas. As I said in the op, there would be many more games on it and devs would be more willing to take risks since the console wouldn't be a flop. Stuff like Affordable Space Adventures I guess, which I haven't played but hear it's pretty unique and can't be brought elsewhere.

Fox Mulder

it was a less than exciting gimmick that raised the cost of the hardware closer to the ps4/xb1 than it should be.

Dual screen gameplay is dumb at home when I have a huge HDTV. I didn't buy the kirby game because despite the gorgeous art style, the gameplay relies exclusively on starting at a shitty screen.

Nintendo has still been able to put out amazing games like they're able to do on anything really.

Tobor

I would agree that it's not a great follow up to the Wii or a smart move from Nintendo. Which is why I'm kinda of imagining how the product could have been if it was not from Nintendo I guess.

Off TV play is the most compelling feature, and we already know how everyone else is doing it. Nintendo requires the gamepad to be a short distance away from the console. Meanwhile, Sony, MS, and Valve all have solutions that work anywhere in the house, or even out of the house in some cases.

So Nintendo doesn't have the best solution, and it's admittedly a feature that's really only appealing to a select audience anyway.

I don't really buy any of the "flawed concept" stuff here (i.e. I think in our tablet drenched society that tablet isn't confusing, and in fact I think a lot of people would probably be excited about it because of that), but I do think its strange that Nintendo STILL hasn't really done a "Will Sports 2 Online HD++ X-Treme MAX" marketing blitz for the WiiU in any of their Chrstimas seasons. It seems like a no-brainer way to sell consoles to the casuals.

No one cares anymore about Wii sports. Why buy a tablet to play tennis again?

IvorB

Can someone explain what part of the gamepad is a useless gimmick? That's the buzzword that everyone around here throws around. I freaking hate it.

The gamepad gives you a second screen that allows you quick access to maps, inventory, or other game specific pertinent info.

Having an entire hardware device exist simply to provide you with information you could have accessed in the game with one button press isn't that useful.

elhav

The problem with the Wii U is indeed because the gamepad doesn't really offer much interesting use. It's quite a pricy part of the console, but if it was used in more interesting ways I would think it's worth it.

The games are great, but I'd happily play all of them with the regular pro controller if I could. I won't feel like I'll miss anything if the gamepad never existed, and that's the problem.

While the Wii shoved its motion controls up our asses, it was consistent in the fact that every game pretty much had to utilize at least something with the motion controls.

The gamepad doesn't have that, and while I highly prefer the more orthodox controller choice this time around, if it's not really important or adding anything to the games and it ramps up the price of the console, then I think in the end it was not worth it.

For once I'd just wish Nintendo will make a console without trying to innovate anything. Really. Just make a normal controller, ramp up the power of the console, and give us your awesome library of games along with third party games. It would be the ideal console. But of course, Nintendo will probably always try to innovate, and I guess it's part of their charm

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I'm not sure that it did, either as a concept or in execution.

Nintendo, and we go way back, has always wanted to inject quirky features into home gaming. R.O.B., Virtual Boy, motion controls, microphones, cameras, touch screen (first on handhelds and now on consoles).

Some have loved these features, but most were abandoned or just ignored. N hasn't considered 3rd party profitability in a long, long time. Devs have to invest to learn and master these technologies, even though said expertise can't be used anywhere else. It's a bridge to nowhere, financially. Lack of dev support isn't a big mystery.

I like my WiiU (bought it after the Fatal Frame localization was announced), but I have tremors & it actually sucks to try and hold the pad still. Sometimes I can't do it, so no headshots for me in ZombiU.

What about people that don't need a new gimmick every few years, but just like playing video games--Nintendo games in particular?

I mean, I had like 4 game & watch combos. I got a lot of love for the big N, but they have been wearing me out.

Rival

Gold Member
The wii u's problem has always been that it didn't launch with any must have games that appealed to the masses and then nothing at all came out for several months. By the time it started to hit its stride a lot of gamers didn't care. This doesn't apply to me I bought it day one!

NDPsycho

The gamepad is at its best (brilliant, even) when used for local, asynchronous mutliplayer.

Unfortunately, this was only realized in a few games, and even then, only relegated to mini games within games (Mario Chase, Bowser Party, Wario Ware Pictionary). The Wii U really needed a full-on game utilizing this concept. Like Mario Chase but an entire retail game.

I'm not really sure, however, how the big the market is for games that not just offer couch co-op but completely require it. How many people would buy a game that was useless if you didn't have 2-3 other people in the same room to play with you? Probably not many.

Sonic racing does this very well.

First time posting fails aside....I was also very surprised by the lack of this feature in MK8.

I bought into the system partly in the hope that some of my favorite DS games would also make it to the U. I think that strategy games like Advance Wars and Fire Emblem suit a touch screen well. I am probably in the minority, but I was happy to get an updated Kirby and think that the pad will be great for a game like Mario Maker.

I may be one of the only people to use the touchpad as a remote for my tv along with netflix and hulu, but it came in handy when the remote for my smart tv died recently.

egruntz

shelaughz
Nintendoland is the apex of what the GamePad had to offer: simple, engaging asymmetrical gameplay.

But they never expanded on it. I was REALLY hoping Mario Party 10 would have. But it ended up being really mediocre (rushed).

MilesTeg

Banned
Imagine a 2D or 3D dual screen co-op Metroid where you are together at first, until you acquire the teleport ability. You can instantly teleport to where your friend is at any time to help out (certain situations may restrict this ability), and when you press the button again you go back to where you were. Additionally, each player has certain weapons that only work on specific doors. The game is designed largely for both players to be exploring apart from each other, exposing as much of the map as possible in the least time. Of course, you could choose to stick together as much as possible if you wish. You are both going your separate ways exploring completely different environments doing different things. On the TV, you can choose to display one players screen, or a split screen of both players screens.

Also the beauty of dual screen local co-op is that the game is essentially already designed for online co-op.

I agree on most points, but the Gamepad most certainly wouldn't work as an optional peripheral. Nintendo had to go all in and make it part of everyone's system if it was to stand a chance.

Oh I agree, I don't think the GamePad would sell enough to justify the price as a peripheral and I think it would have even less implementation than it does now. But I also think it's not a good primary controller - it's not as comfortable and fitting for certain types of games like Bayonetta, it drove up the price of the Wii U, and part of its appeal is fundamentally flawed (aka DS-like dual screen gameplay features).

Of course if you own the Wii U and are happy with the games, the GamePad is pretty cool. It has some legitimately useful functions like surfing the web, TV remote, certain games work perfectly fine on the screen and of course asynchronous multiplayer/co-op is great. It's just not worth it to me. I just prefer a normal controller.

Neff

It's clear the Gamepad should have been an optional accessory. I like it and use it often, but nowhere near as much as the base unit itself, and even then, it's more of a convenience feature than a unique gaming peripheral. I own 19 disc titles, and only four of them demand mandatory use of the Gamepad (five if you count SM3DW). Nintendo had the sense to push their innovations hard with past platforms, but they really haven't done much at all with Wii U's key novelty feature in comparison.

I think a slimmer, lighter Gamepad with a better screen would go some way to selling itself, since it really does look comically prehistoric in 2015, and more efforts should be made to show off its gaming capabilities.

The sad thing is that underneath the Gamepad, the Wii U is the smart thing we always assumed Nintendo would do- make a HD Wii. If it had the same affordability, a concise 'console sequel' name, and a straightforward campaign outlining compatibility with Wii software and peripherals, then it'd have fared much, much better. It's a damn fine console, and the software some of the strongest seen on any platform, Nintendo's or otherwise.

Chastten

Banned
Sure it did, it just needed a company that actually believed in the concept and was willing to make it work backing it.

Nintendo did... nothing. They were still bathing in their 2008 cashpiles that Wii and DS made them and didn't notice no one cared about their current products anymore.

NickFire

Had the system power been somewhat comparable to Xbox One and PS4 then the Wii U concept may have turned into gold. The second screen can certainly enhance modern 3rd party games. Problem is the system can't run them to begin with.

Parapraxis

Having an entire hardware device exist simply to provide you with information you could have accessed in the game with one button press isn't that useful.

Yeah, look away from screen to look at gamepad, or press button and keep looking at screen.
Never really made sense to me. You can't do both, and the button is easier.

My bedroom is directly above my TV room and I get no signal unless my gamepad is on the floor, so pretty useless for me there as well.

I'm pretty much pro-controller only at this point.

E-phonk

Banned
2 years earlier and the WiiU would be a perfect cross-gen console riding in the hype of tablets.
It came too late. Even the time between first announcement and release was way too long.

Also mario galaxy 2 and Zelda Skyward Sword and WiiU Sports should've been release window titles back then.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
It would've been excellent ten years ago, before most households had a TV in every room, and before every family member had numerous gadgets like smartphones, tablets, e-readers, etc. to quell their ADD-tendencies. The novelty these days of being able to play in another room, or while someone else is watching TV, for example, just doesn't really mean much.

MilesTeg

Banned
2-3 years earlier and the WiiU would be a perfect cross-gen console riding in the hype of tablets.

It came too late. Even the time between first announcement and release was way too long.

Yeah, and when it finally launched Nintendo had basically nothing first party ready, besides Game&Wario, for about ten months until Pikmin 3. Despite the fact that they had already abandoned creating Wii games for awhile.

Obviously Nintendo messed up just about everything with Wii U and that's why it is where it is.

Wii U is a great concept but badly executed.

Maybe for not adding a lot of cost and be more attractive Nintendo should have made the Gamepad dual OS with Android so it could also be an Android Tablet and maybe after that try to offer Android apps that could make them the most used service in the family.

I don't know, I like Wii U as a console and I like Off TV Play but the Gamepad itself doesn't offer that much. I really would've been happy to use it as a tablet and as the main TV / Box remote. No need for extra power and impressive graphics, the games are here. They need to add something else, give their product added value with extended functions and of course the better would be the ones others don't and would more difficultly have (remote controller could have been one for Wii U, just offer 6 months of Netflix and it's a good start).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Also can we dispel this myth that more powerful hardware = more sales. It may be true this generation but the Wii and PS2 were the weakest technically speaking.

PS2 wise, the technology was not undermining its unique selling points while I feel it is undermining Wii U's one. Just to quote two typical easy to recognise Wii U features: asynchronous gameplay and MiiVerse integration.
Having one extra view on the game world to render does add further pressure on a system not fully beyond the PS360 generation that is expected to push graphics harder than those systems (think about a large scale 3D world where the player using the GamePad might be in a completely different part of this varied and detailed game world compared to the user playing on the TV and both are speeding through the level... taxing CPU+GPU and requiring more RAM).
MiiVerse wise, a faster machine might allow much shorter loading times to move from one part of the OS to another (as currently implemented) and could allow MiiVerse to load in a second or so, like a very quick overlay you pop in and out of without long loading pauses. This would make it easier to use by lowering the friction to post and interact with the community.

Also, a powerful enough system that makes it easy for developers to do PS360 ports reasonably quickly and cheaply while still offering an improved performance and/or IQ would have helped them generate a better first impression on developers and consumers alike. You mention Wii U marketing and messaging, well... having issues running a game designed for 7 years old HW does not give a very good one (developers do not like to have to jump through hoops to do such ports either).

Also, they did impose spending R&D resources targeting a very low power consumption device with a very compact form factor on themselves... Nobody forced their hand.

HCgamer

The gamepad is unnecessary big, ugly I do not want to take my eyes off the tv time and time again while playing. Off tv play is unnecessary that is what my 3ds vita dsi gba sp are for. Nintendo is on to something big with glasses free 3d if they can bring it to tv could revolutionize gaming and tv and movies.

MilesTeg

Banned
It's got some neat uses, but it was never feasible for any of them to really pay off and justify its existence.

That is because Nintendo didn't release the product the Wii U needed to be. The Gamepad is huge and looks cheap with the shiny plastic, it has a low resolution screen, the console is not very strong at all, the name is confusing and most of Nintendo's own games barely utilize the Gamepad. Obviously Nintendo bit off way more than they could chew with the Wii U idea, especially considering their HD game development experience at the time.

When PS2 released it was still state of art console tech wise. Even after the release of GC and Xbox it was still in the same ballpark graphics wise as its competition. Outside of Wii all market leaders have been pretty close to other consoles tech wise. Customers still generally want to see sizable graphical leap between gens. Also of course publishers also like to have consoles with around the amount of power as it make developing multiplats easier. Gamecube had billion times better third party situation than WiiU because of this.

For devs it had to be easy to port to.

As for its sales, the marketing was pretty bad and using the Wii name backfired.

As for my experience, a little of extra muscle to at least have 720p 60 with some form of AA would have been nice, but I am very happy with the system and the games, off tv is a great addition specially for some games, like a quick session of CoD BOs 2, playing VC games, everything else I prefer to play on the TV, but when it is being used it is a nice to have.

Some games like MK8, Captain Toad, SM3DW, DKC TF, Kirby and TRC look Amazing IMHO.

Top Bottom