• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I thought Wonder Woman was supposed to be "the good DCU movie"

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I haven't watched a DCU movie since Batman v Superman. Decided to watch Wonder Woman so I could watch 1984. I have always heard Wonder Woman was the best DCU movie.

And I guess it was? But that's not saying much. Such a low bar.

Gal Gadot is hot but she can't act. So flat in her delivery. Chris Pine and his team were fun I guess.

The special effects were horse shit. The action scenes were universally terrible. The No Mans Land sequence looked so fake and stupid. I was surprised to see that that scene was a fan favorite. It was tacky and looked like shit.

The final battle was also pretty bad. No tension at all because of how stupid it looked

I'm not a cinema snob, but this movie has some of the worst cinematography I've seen in a big budget movie. If this is the best Patty Jenkins can do, I have concerns about Rogue Squadron.

I haven't watched a DCU movie since Batman v Superman. Decided to watch Wonder Woman so I could watch 1984. I have always heard Wonder Woman was the best DCU movie.

Gal Gadot is hot but she can't act. So flat in her delivery. Chris Pine and his team were fun I guess.

The special effects were horse shit. The action scenes were universally terrible. The No Mans Land sequence looked so fake and stupid. I was surprised to see that that scene was a fan favorite. It was tacky and looked like shit.

The final battle was also pretty bad. No tension at all because of how stupid it looked

I'm not a cinema snob, but this movie has some of the worst cinematography I've seen in a big budget movie. If this is the best Patty Jenkins can do, I have concerns about Rogue Squadron.
I concur. I don't have any idea how this is supposed to be the "good DCU movie".
Felt pretty lame to me, like lower MCU tier.

I guess it's just lowered expectations combined with "wymynz powerzzz" effect at work here.

sol_bad

I loved it in the cinemas, great experience. But the wife and I watched it for the 2nd time the other night and it was just OK. I still found the prologue and fight against the Nazis fun though.

The villains are like a Saturday morning cartoon though.
"But the mask won't work."
"They don't know that."
"HAHAHAHAHAHA"

Reactions: Alx

Zenaku

I concur. I don't have any idea how this is supposed to be the "good DCU movie".
Felt pretty lame to me, like lower MCU tier.

I guess it's just lowered expectations combined with "wymynz powerzzz" effect at work here.
One thing I found funny about the movie was how people saw it as a big win for 'girl power' despite WW being portrayed as a woman who couldn't do anything without a man in her life.

She'd have never left her home, never found the big bad guy, and never would've won if it weren't for him.

Obviously the story is a product of its time (I assume it was fairly faithful to the old comics) but still.

It's not a total trainwreck like Man of Steel, BvS or JL, so the fact that it's just an average movie makes it look brilliant by comparison.

The only DCEU movie I'd consider actually good is Aquaman, and even then it's entirely carried by Jason Mamoa and the fact I love camp, silly, superhero bollocks.

If you don't enjoy over the top acting, action and thing's happen not because they make the most logical sense, but because it would be the most fun thing to occur as a consequence of what happened before, then it probably wouldn't be as enjoyable for you.

Still, I maintain that Aquaman is basically the same movie as Black Panther, but better in every way.

WW is just fine though. It's a 5/10. Not bad, not good, just fine.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
It's not a total trainwreck like Man of Steel, BvS or JL, so the fact that it's just an average movie makes it look brilliant by comparison.

The only DCEU movie I'd consider actually good is Aquaman, and even then it's entirely carried by Jason Mamoa and the fact I love camp, silly, superhero bollocks.

If you don't enjoy over the top acting, action and thing's happen not because they make the most logical sense, but because it would be the most fun thing to occur as a consequence of what happened before, then it probably wouldn't be as enjoyable for you.

Still, I maintain that Aquaman is basically the same movie as Black Panther, but better in every way.

WW is just fine though. It's a 5/10. Not bad, not good, just fine.

Man of Steel is amazing.

Alx

I thought it was ok, good characters played by average actors, nice readable action scenes with decent choreography, very basic plot but nice recreation of the historical context. Bad guy and final fight were boring, but that's quite common in the genre.
I do think the movie could/should have gone further with the feminist angle, considering it should be central with the original idea of an amazon discovering European society in the 1910s (the part about discussing orgasms, or her crashing the political meeting were great, but it stopped there). But considering how bad it's been handled in other movies, maybe "not enough" here is still better than "too much".

bitbydeath

Yeah, I didn’t like it either.
Powers weren’t handled well, especially in the beginning and then at the end she let’s the crazy psychopath go.

Try Shazam or Aquaman.

Aquaman feels like a Marvel movie so it’s decent and Shazam is quite wholesome, although I wasn’t a big fan of the ending.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
It’s amazing in that it feels nothing like a Superman movie. 😂

That's because you have a narrow idea of how Superman is supposed to be portrayed; you're stuck on Reeve's version of the character.

Try reading the New 52 version of the character and you'd see that Man of Steel draws heavily from that version, even in regard to the lack of underwear on the costume.

Try being open-minded and getting over the past.

Roufianos

I thought the opening was amazing but it fell really flat once they left her tropical paradise world or whatever the fuck that was.

Devonshire

Banned
That's because you have a narrow idea of how Superman is supposed to be portrayed; you're stuck on Reeve's version of the character.

Try reading the New 52 version of the character and you'd see that Man of Steel draws heavily from that version, even in regard to the lack of underwear on the costume.

That’s because unlike Batman or even Wonder Woman, the Superman series has been a shambles of mediocre stories.

INC

Superman is whack regardless

FunkMiller

Gold Member
By comparison to the rest of the shit show Zack Snyder engineered it’s a decent film, but against Nolan’s work, or the best of the MCU, it’s decidedly average at best.

I haven’t watched 84 yet, but not in any real rush to. The DCEU has become a creative cul de sac that I lost all interest in a long time ago. Reserving all of my excitement for The Batman. Just about the only comic book movie going forward I care about. The rest of the genre is stale and uninteresting at this point from over saturation.

e&e

Banned
I only liked Wonder Woman and Aquaman! WW effects were so gamey I enjoyed it! No mans land was one of the best scenes in a Comic book movie for me!

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
It’s not great by any means but it’s the best DC movie by a long shot, which really speaks volumes to how shitty the other films are

Man of Steel is amazing.
I’m not sure I’d use “amazing” but I actually didn’t mind it when I saw it in the theater, and I just watched it for a second time about a month ago and it was way better than what I remember. It’s really not that bad of a movie. Some stuff I didn’t like for sure but overall it’s not bad.

Grinchy

Banned
It's ok. Not great, not horrible. The ending falls pretty flat.

I'll never understand the praise that Aquaman got. I made it about 25 minutes into that shitfest and couldn't take it anymore.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
I laugh at all the woke 20 something male film reviewers giving it glowing praise, in the hope that their feminist credential virtue signalling, will finally get them into the pants of their female colleagues...

ruvikx

Banned

Say hello to modern US blockbuster superhero movies, or "blockbuster" movies in general circa 2010-2020. All overhyped, over-praised dogshit which in the 1990's would have been crapped on by reviewers & movie goers alike yet now are praised by fanboys & shills.

These "movies" are by & large all overly loud, obnoxious, badly scripted, predictable & convoluted (i.e. a convoluted pseudo plot masquerading as "interesting") which border on "unwatchable mess" unless someone has been conditioned into being in the right frame of mind (with hype) or mood (social environment & the mindset they're in when they watch it).

Because if you want to watch a well made movie which hits the right notes & respects itself & the audience, look elsewhere (more like go back in time). Even Nolan is absolutely no standard either (Dunkirk happens to be an awful war movie & I stopped caring about Interstellar when an army of fanshits were screaming online about the real "science" behind a man floating in his daughter's bookcase).

Oh and visual effects are absolutely stagnating as well, so it's not just Wonder Woman which doesn't look so good in the VFX department. The best most ambitious movies used to be cared for, fashioned & constructed by brilliant people at the top of their game (Cameron for example at his height). Now it's just a cesspit of money-grabbing studios releasing products designed by committee to maximize profits & a shill media lying about the quality on offer whilst fanboys bombard people on social media with viral marketing.

Rinse-repeat.

Spoog

Banned
I liked Wonder Woman a lot, would have more if it were not for the terrible OTT CG battle at the end which was tonally different to the movie.

Shazam is also great - WW84, BvS and even JL have their moments but are not good movies. Everything else in the DCEU is absolute shit, so yes WW is the best you're going to get from these people.

ManaByte

Gold Member
DCEU ranked:

1. Aquaman
  2. Shazam
  3. Wonder Woman
  4. Man of Steel
  5. BvS Ultimate
  6. WW84
  7. Birds of Prey
  8. Suicide Squad
  9. Justice League

NeoGiffer

I thought Wonder Woman was supposed to be "the good DCU movie"​

IllfatedWeakAmericanindianhorse-small.gif

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I walked away from it feeling indifferent. I have never bene a Gadot fan. She isn't an actor yet she somehow found herself as this character and I dont really understand why/how. But I digress.

There was some redeeming action and visual effects that made the first WW neat at times but most of the story on screen felt average at best.

Pine is the only thing I really liked about either WW movie. Dude is just so charismatic on screen. He makes everything better.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I walked away from it feeling indifferent. I have never bene a Gadot fan. She isn't an actor yet she somehow found herself as this character and I dont really understand why/how. But I digress.
I don’t think Snyder was looking at her acting when he cast her in BvS.

Pagusas

Elden Member
It’s like a semi-ugly girl hanging around some really really fat ugly chicks, shes’s going to look like a 8/10 when you only compare her to the lumps of grossness around her. But put her on her own? You got yourself a Missouri 3/10.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
They treated WW like another super hero the England story, Amazon history, soldiers, villain were all just okay. I can’t include it in the same top tier super hero category (Iron Man, Dark Knight, Spider-Man etc.).

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It’s like a semi-ugly girl hanging around some really really fat ugly chicks, shes’s going to look like a 8/10 when you only compare her to the lumps of grossness around her. But put her on her own? You got yourself a Missouri 3/10.
Are Missouri women worse than Wisconsin women?

Top Bottom