• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I unfortunately finally know someone personally that has died from COVID-19. Here are my thoughts.

Mistake

To what end? Death? You really are saying that we should be wearing masks for the rest of our lives because it's considerate.

Anyway, let's see how everyone feels about the masks in a month or two. We can look back here and see who has lost their patience, it will be fun.
Until we have more information and a way to properly deal with all of this. Viruses don't just disappear in 6 months. Sars 1 took 2 1/2 years. Let's not turn this entire thread into a conversation between the two of us

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The thing is people think of the masks in very selfish fashion. "How does the mask protect me? Does it protect me completely? If not then it's bullshit.".

No, the point of the mask is to limit the amount of saliva that you spread around. And you do spread a fair amount on a daily basis. It might not protect you completely, but if you have COVID, it limits the amount of spread by a very good amount.

The problem is that somehow people took it as some political statement, which is ridiculous. In the country I live, the government shut down stuff, asked everyone to wear masks and people did it. No shenanigans and were able to reopen quite soon compared to other places. Now there's almost no masks and are managing the disease, balancing it against the health system resources.

Again, I have no idea why you guys turned it into some insane political statement.
Because you are failing to recognize that in America everything is political statement. I don't know how, but if not for idiots on ERA...Mericans think that "government forcing something on us...so it must be bad", even though normal nation would recognize the danger and for their own good they would have the mask....I cannot imagine that people in USA would set masks for others for free. Maybe for profit, but definitely not for free.

Also shit like this, would not happend everywhere else:

For the contrast this is from my country, which is out of the lockdown for since 11th of May...

And funny thing is, that this was not intended for Czech people, but for other nations, which rides on that illusion, that somewhat free means to be a threat to others...

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
One party lies to us on an almost daily basis. It's not our fault that they've cried wolf so many times yet are constantly shown to be wrong. Sorry, don't really care what they say at this point.

No, men are not the same as women.
No, Trump isn't cause the economy to crash.
No, Trump isn't going to accidentally push the nuke button.
No, Trump isn't Putin's agent.
No, climate change isn't going to cause a mass extinction in 12 years.
No, Islam is not the religion of peace.
No, the Seattle riots are not peaceful.
No, nuclear energy won't kill the environment.
No, banning "hate" speech does not mean you still have free speech.
No, being morally right is not more important than being factually correct.
No, China is not a respectable nation.
No, defunding the police won't save lives.
Ad nauseam...

They've so far discredited themselves, it's no wonder we've lost all sense of trust in what they have to say. You accuse skeptics of having no empathy, but where's yours?

All this says to me is that you have been brainwashed by partisan propaganda just like the people who are saying all the stupid shit you listed in your post, and now you are trying to blame them for your error in judgment and inability to think critically. The scientific community laid out their concerns, and you dismissed them because you were too involved in bickering with other partisan hacks like yourself, presumably. That's on you. You look long enough at the monster until you become the monster.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
As someone who is at risk, I've done everything I can to be safe, but there is so much misinformation about covid that it's almost impossible to know what to do exactly. A hard balance needs to be struck between finding truth and not downplaying the seriousness of our situation, such as death counts, testing, etc. I don't want to alleviate responsibility from china for this mess either.

Are you taking vitamins and getting some sun? Along with excercise?

Tesseract

Banned
All this says to me is that you have been brainwashed by partisan propaganda just like the people who are saying all the stupid shit you listed in your post, and now you are trying to blame them for your error in judgment. The scientific community laid out their concerns, and you dismissed them because you were too involved in bickering with other partisan hacks like yourself, presumably. Sorry but That's on you. You look long enough at the monster until you become the monster.
have you read the ipcc reports?

they're a bunch of wealth redistributing losers, manipulating data since the orgs' inception

thankfully, president trump dunked all over them and the goofy paris accords

Last edited:

Mistake

Are you taking vitamins and getting some sun? Along with excercise?
No vitamins, but I eat pretty healthy. I get enough sun, and I'm working more on exercise. I don't take unnecessary trips out, wash hands, etc etc. I'm doing my best. Stay safe everyone, we'll get through it

No vitamins, but I eat pretty healthy. I get enough sun, and I'm working more on exercise. I don't take unnecessary trips out, wash hands, etc etc. I'm doing my best. Stay safe everyone, we'll get through it
So much of this depends on where you live and what you’re doing. Try to pay more attention to your numbers locally or you can get caught up in the media hype. If it seems like there’s a lot of positive cases in your area, take extra precautions, like you’ve been doing. If not, go about your life while still doing the easy stuff. But don’t live in fear. Pay attention and make good decisions.

All this says to me is that you have been brainwashed by partisan propaganda just like the people who are saying all the stupid shit you listed in your post, and now you are trying to blame them for your error in judgment and inability to think critically. The scientific community laid out their concerns, and you dismissed them because you were too involved in bickering with other partisan hacks like yourself, presumably. That's on you. You look long enough at the monster until you become the monster.
I have a PhD in Sustainable Engineering. My Masters thesis was the technical and economic optimization of a concentrating solar power plant (renewable energy) that implemented a reversible solid-gas thermochemical reaction and simulated using a steady-state thermodynamic model based on the 1st and 2nd laws.

Do I believe in global warming? Yes. Do I believe in anthropogenic climate change? Yes. Do I believe climate change is ending the world in 12 years? No. Do I need the news to tell me how CO2 causes global warming? No, because I took 4 years of chemistry and understand that electrons can be excited to orbits of higher energy after absorption of specific electromagnetic wavelengths.

Please tell me how I'm anti-science and how I can't think critically.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
I have a PhD in Sustainable Engineering. My Masters thesis was the technical and economic optimization of a concentrating solar power plant (renewable energy) that implemented a reversible solid-gas thermochemical reaction and simulated using a steady-state thermodynamic model based on the 1st and 2nd laws.

Do I believe in global warming? Yes. Do I believe in anthropomorphic climate change? Yes. Do I believe climate change is ending the world in 12 years? No. Do I need the news to tell me how CO2 causes global warming? No, because I took 4 years of chemistry and understand that electrons can be excited to orbits of higher energy after absorption of specific electromagnetic wavelengths.

Please tell me how I'm anti-science and how I can't think critically.
What’s the average airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

GAMETA

Banned
Sorry to hear that, man. I had cases in my family too.

My father had it, he's 60. He's now fully recovered and well. Tested negative, no more side effects and tiredness and is positive for anti-bodies. (He did use HCQ in his treatment)

My aunt/godmother, her 2 sons (we are close cousins), her sister in law and family also got it (they are neighbors). She's 72, got into intensive care for 2 weeks and recovered (I'm not sure if 100%). My cousins are 37 and 34, they didn't require ICU but, according to them, felt like shit, both now fully recovered.

I also know of people from work and friends who have had it, some lost older relatives and parents.

This shit is very real and I've been advocating for taking care of yourselves and loved ones and your communities... Maybe you're young and really won't be affected by it, but I don't understand how taking proper care of the community (be it by wearing masks, be it by avoiding big crowds and so on) can be bad and possibly infringe your liberty. I really don't get it.

REE Machine

Banned
Sorry for your loss. I also lost someone from it.My aunt died yesterday from it.

I'm gonna start going off on mother fuckers on this site who act like it's fake or not a big deal. Your fucking ignorant if you are. You aren't helping. You are contributing to apathy of a serious situation at worst or misinformation at best
Yep, if people truly want to help, wear a mask.

Elcid

Banned
I'm pretty sure I caught it in December.
I was in Florida working with a bunch of people that had just gotten back from China and I was warned they had some kinda bad virus.
I spent 2 weeks coughing up my lungs, and on/off fever symptoms/body aches. Coughed till I'm pretty sure I bruised a rib. Doctor told me I had a respiratory infection. I got some prescription strength cough syrup so I could finally sleep since I would fall asleep sitting up coughing up my lungs the next day at 11am-12pm, sometimes even 1pm, still coughing. After a few days of heavily dosed sleep I started recovering. I still let out deep coughs for a few weeks even after though so it took a while to recover 100%.
At this point though, I'm done with this quarantine. I took my family out last night for dinner. I went to the gym. I'm walking my dog (MASKLESS) and hanging out with friends. Sorry for those of you who lost people, but chances are it wasn't covid that killed them. As a few people have said, there's always some other shit in the picture.
If I had to bet, it was likely malpractice more than anything seeing as they've discovered the ventilators are killing people and yet hospitals have been throwing people in ventilators because they make more money if they use ventilators and of course if they claim "covid".

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I'm pretty sure I caught it in December.
I was in Florida working with a bunch of people that had just gotten back from China and I was warned they had some kinda bad virus.
I spent 2 weeks coughing up my lungs, and on/off fever symptoms/body aches. Coughed till I'm pretty sure I bruised a rib. Doctor told me I had a respiratory infection. I got some prescription strength cough syrup so I could finally sleep since I would fall asleep sitting up coughing up my lungs the next day at 11am-12pm, sometimes even 1pm, still coughing. After a few days of heavily dosed sleep I started recovering. I still let out deep coughs for a few weeks even after though so it took a while to recover 100%.
At this point though, I'm done with this quarantine. I took my family out last night for dinner. I went to the gym. I'm walking my dog (MASKLESS) and hanging out with friends. Sorry for those of you who lost people, but chances are it wasn't covid that killed them. As a few people have said, there's always some other shit in the picture.
If I had to bet, it was likely malpractice more than anything seeing as they've discovered the ventilators are killing people and yet hospitals have been throwing people in ventilators because they make more money if they use ventilators and of course if they claim "covid".

I think I had it way back late December early jan too.

Same thing: lots of coughing. A cough that lasted a month. But when my wife caught it, oh man, she had every symptom associated with COVID. Much worse than me.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Humans have to get some momentum back from COVID none the less may prayers be with you and your neighbor.

Elcid

Banned
I think I had it way back late December early jan too.

Same thing: lots of coughing. A cough that lasted a month. But when my wife caught it, oh man, she had every symptom associated with COVID. Much worse than me.
Funny my whole household got sick but I got it the worst. I actually avoided seeing coworkers and family minus the ones in my house during that time for the reason that I didn’t want to give anyone whatever the fuck I had.

YCoCg

Bloody hell what is it about Americans that turned a fucking pandemic into "political", this bullshit has seeped into the English flag nonces too. Other countries at least banded together and have got over the worst of it but for some reason, America and some fraction of England believe this is some hoax or political issue. It's almost as bad as the 5G loonies, ignoring science because they read some daft shit on Facebook that pretends to sound smart.

highrider

Banned
I feel like I’m being lied to. Information is compromised and it’s become a political football. I observe all mask regulations, but if I had a choice this would be over. We’ve been past diminishing returns for at least two months. I had two two extended family members in Florida get it, both in their 60s, not unhealthy but not particularly healthy either. Pretty much a flu for the husband, no reaction at all from the wife, she’s a nurse, they think she got it at work. I don’t know what to believe, but I don’t believe what I’m being told at all.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Bloody hell what is it about Americans that turned a fucking pandemic into "political", this bullshit has seeped into the English flag nonces too. Other countries at least banded together and have got over the worst of it but for some reason, America and some fraction of England believe this is some hoax or political issue. It's almost as bad as the 5G loonies, ignoring science because they read some daft shit on Facebook that pretends to sound smart.

What if you have no conspiracy theory, but you just think you’re being lied to consistently? I think that’s a far bigger category than conspiracy theorists. China actively repressed information and destroyed evidence, probably killed several people as well. That’s an actual conspiracy we should probably address at some point.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
Ay there govenah, these bloody yanks amirite? Why don't we discuss this like a couple blokes over a cup of tea with some crumpets, or perhaps some shrimp on the barbie? Best ya can answer me this mate, why does Sweden not mandate masks? Oh and God save the Queen and all that.

Last edited:

Mistake

What if you have no conspiracy theory, but you just think you’re being lied to consistently? I think that’s a far bigger category than conspiracy theorists. China actively repressed information and destroyed evidence, probably killed several people as well. That’s an actual conspiracy we should probably address at some point.
The easiest way to deal with compulsive liars is to just never believe a word that comes out of their mouth

highrider

Banned
The easiest way to deal with compulsive liars is to just never believe a word that comes out of their mouth

Yeah I think most people do that, I’m more trying to hear what a true believer thinks about it though. Generally it’s the oh another crackpot muh freedom guy, but what if you present a more rational position. Hey I don’t know anything about this virus really, but I absolutely know when people are lying to me.

levyjl1988

Banned
Wearing a mask does not eliminate the risk it lowers it. I can see how he must have contracted it.
People breathe through the mask, the virus must have escaped from the sides. Health care worker must have touched their face or something.
Covid-19 is no joke and you have to perceive it as some form of airborne pathogen and take all the precautions.

Most of these guidelines are bullshit. Whether it be droplets or whatever, imagine it has a reach 3x that. The minimum of 6 feet is just not enough.
People caught covid-19 in the diamond princess through ventilation. And there was a case where people perpendicular to and air conditioner had the virus flow between tables.
Wherever someone is breathing he is most likely carrying that virus around through a puff of air and just breathing it In is dangerous.

joe_zazen

Bloody hell what is it about Americans that turned a fucking pandemic into "political"

political parties weaponizing human psychology and events to gain power without regard for honesty or long term consequences.

So, either you are a dupe or you understand this and you become a cynic who doesn't believe anything. It is messed up.

Soodanim

Has anyone that thinks masks are useless not taken a moment to watch a single video or experiment proving they massively reduce the distance the contents of a cough/sneeze?

Ay there govenah, these bloody yanks amirite? Why don't we discuss this like a couple blokes over a cup of tea with some crumpets, or perhaps some shrimp on the barbie? Best ya can answer me this mate, why does Sweden not mandate masks? Oh and God save the Queen and all that.
Sweden not doing it misses is such an empty statement. It lacks any reasoning either way. Maybe they're not a very densely populated country. Maybe they're good at social distancing. I don't know the answer, but when you have states in America and other countries that have shot way up, the whole "Just let it run" thing doesn't work.

Shrimp on the barbie is Aussie.

lock2k

Banned
Sorry to hear that, man. I had cases in my family too.

My father had it, he's 60. He's now fully recovered and well. Tested negative, no more side effects and tiredness and is positive for anti-bodies. (He did use HCQ in his treatment)

My aunt/godmother, her 2 sons (we are close cousins), her sister in law and family also got it (they are neighbors). She's 72, got into intensive care for 2 weeks and recovered (I'm not sure if 100%). My cousins are 37 and 34, they didn't require ICU but, according to them, felt like shit, both now fully recovered.

I also know of people from work and friends who have had it, some lost older relatives and parents.

This shit is very real and I've been advocating for taking care of yourselves and loved ones and your communities... Maybe you're young and really won't be affected by it, but I don't understand how taking proper care of the community (be it by wearing masks, be it by avoiding big crowds and so on) can be bad and possibly infringe your liberty. I really don't get it.

I legit thought a friend of mine, who is 34, was not going to get through this. He was hospitalized and had his lungs compromised but thankfully he got through it. Scary as fuck. I was glad to see him alive and well afterwards.

V4skunk

Banned
Well the urgent care said we both tested positive and my dad went through fucking hell the past month so i'm probably going to take their word on it. There was a couple close calls we had to take him to the hospital because his fever wouldn't go down.
You don't get a fever from covid19.
You literally can't breath......It feels like you stuck on mount Everest or some high mountain. Pulmonary edema!
You are another victim of the tv programming / brainwashing.

lock2k

Banned
You don't get a fever from covid19.
You literally can't breath......It feels like you stuck on mount Everest or some high mountain. Pulmonary edema!
You are another victim of the tv programming / brainwashing.

This friend of mine who was in the hospital had severe fevers all the time.

Cycom

Banned
Do you also deny the existence of the holocaust?
Why dont you simply go to a hospital to ask the nurses if you are skeptical? Oh wait I am sorry, i forgot that the nurses are also fake.
Nice straw man, fool. Bringing in the Holocaust really stepped up the retardation.

Alzheimer's and about to go into a care home? That's the end of his natural life so this was a blessing in disguise.

You'd like to last a bit more than 78 maybe, but it's not a bad age. Eeking out more years not even recognizing your own family, having someone else feed and clean you? Fuck that.

bigsnack

Alzheimer's and about to go into a care home? That's the end of his natural life so this was a blessing in disguise.

You'd like to last a bit more than 78 maybe, but it's not a bad age. Eeking out more years not even recognizing your own family, having someone else feed and clean you? Fuck that.

I have to agree with this. I visited my grandmother only once when she first entered a home (also with Alzheimer's), and I vowed never to go again. I didn't want my memories of her overrun by the crazy lady next to her, and her looking through me and not at me.

Has anyone that thinks masks are useless not taken a moment to watch a single video or experiment proving they massively reduce the distance the contents of a cough/sneeze?

Meh, all you're going to see posted around here are the videos of people using CO2 monitors while wearing a mask and claiming the CO2 will build up and kill you.

Hulk_Smash

Banned

I agree. Alzheimer’s sucks. It is the worst way to spend your final years. The family is relieved more than anything. But the funeral plans are what makes this more difficult. Doesn’t give the family closure.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned

Sweden not doing it misses is such an empty statement. It lacks any reasoning either way. Maybe they're not a very densely populated country. Maybe they're good at social distancing. I don't know the answer, but when you have states in America and other countries that have shot way up, the whole "Just let it run" thing doesn't work.

Shrimp on the barbie is Aussie.
Well then you also have a problem with the numbers being reported, which have already been proven to be inflated AND they have a reason to!

"It is true, however, that the government will pay more to hospitals for COVID-19 cases in two senses: By paying an additional 20% on top of traditional Medicare rates for COVID-19 patients during the public health emergency, and by reimbursing hospitals for treating the uninsured patients with the disease (at that enhanced Medicare rate)."

And to your last point...
that's part of the joke

Last edited:

Biff

EviLore EviLore can we please have a "COVID conspiracies go here and nowhere else" thread.

Look at the nuts in this thread saying COVID is a hoax, the death count is fake, just big pharma making money. Oh it's not at the hospital in my backwoods cousin-fucking part of 'Murica so it's fake duh.

What the FUCK? Big pharma worth billions has the power to shut down an economy worth trillions? lmao
Complete dumpster fire ITT. Jesus Christ.

Elcid

Banned
EviLore EviLore can we please have a "COVID conspiracies go here and nowhere else" thread.

Look at the nuts in this thread saying COVID is a hoax, the death count is fake, just big pharma making money. Oh it's not at the hospital in my backwoods cousin-fucking part of 'Murica so it's fake duh.

What the FUCK? Big pharma worth billions has the power to shut down an economy worth trillions? lmao
Complete dumpster fire ITT. Jesus Christ.
I know right? These fucking idiots and their
facts

Oh one more for you clever boys <3.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Well then you also have a problem with the numbers being reported, which have already been proven to be inflated AND they have a reason to!

"It is true, however, that the government will pay more to hospitals for COVID-19 cases in two senses: By paying an additional 20% on top of traditional Medicare rates for COVID-19 patients during the public health emergency, and by reimbursing hospitals for treating the uninsured patients with the disease (at that enhanced Medicare rate)."

And to your last point...
that's part of the joke
It's a shame that America's health care system is so bad. This seems like the inevitable result of that. Hospitals lying because health care is all about the bottom line.

HeLurks

Banned
oh god, this thread.
The thing that fucks me up most about "new GAF" since the reee-purge iis the ammount of incels ("Why do women cover their cleavage if I look?") and butthurt whining about Covid tlike this. Dudes are you aware that his crisis for most of us is still a first-world-problem? A small inconvenience? Do you really have to cling to any agenda/theory/worldview that lets you do absolutley nothing, change nothing, blame everyone but you - just to feed good about yourself? Pathetic.

And in the other forum there is a neverending circlejerk about what YouTuber is not cool anymore and how game/person/event XYZ hurt someones feelings.

Fuck... I want old GAF back. The new internet sucks. And I blame YOU, not me! ;-)

Neolombax

Holy shit this thread.

To what end? Death? You really are saying that we should be wearing masks for the rest of our lives because it's considerate.

Anyway, let's see how everyone feels about the masks in a month or two. We can look back here and see who has lost their patience, it will be fun.

I've worn a mask for more than 2 months now everytime I go out, and everyday to work. I don't see the problem. It helps to curb the virus from spreading, I don't see why I should be selfish about it.

Zog

Banned
Holy shit this thread.

I've worn a mask for more than 2 months now everytime I go out, and everyday to work. I don't see the problem. It helps to curb the virus from spreading, I don't see why I should be selfish about it.

We're all wearing masks whether we like it or not. You may like it, I don't. The effectiveness of the masks is in question and it seems like corporations and governments are requiring masks just because it's the popular thing to do.

Elcid

Banned
We're all wearing masks whether we like it or not. You may like it, I don't. The effectiveness of the masks is in question and it seems like corporations and governments are requiring masks just because it's the popular thing to do.
Some people just like to sheep bro, no point in debating them when their head is so far up their ass they can’t hear you anyway.

Reactions: Zog

Mohonky

Yes.....because it's 'popular'. No other reason.

Some people just like to sheep bro, no point in debating them when their head is so far up their ass they can’t hear you anyway.

Pot and kettle and all that.

Holy shit this thread.

I wear masks every time I leave my house. Doesn’t mean I’m okay with forcing others to wear masks if they don’t want to. That’s the difference between pro-liberty and pro-fascism.

Socrates was right about people.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
OP here: Some of ya'll arguing over masks and whatnot- did you read my entire post? I said I wore the mask. For the past two weeks every time I was in a store or out in public, I wore the mask. I STILL got sick with a cold. My entire family got sick. The mask (including social distancing, limiting contact) didn't stop shit. Too many people are wearing the masks improperly to make a bit of difference. Too many are ignoring social distancing for it to make a bit of difference.

Like it or not, we will have to let this virus run its course. You cannot stop it. Professional nurses following protocol STILL got my neighbor sick with COVID. Both his son and his daughter-in-law are pharmacists so they are not ignorant to what's going on and how to follow medical procedures. They know you cannot stop this virus.

Slowing the spread of COVID was suppose to be for the following:

1. To make sure all medical professionals had access to PPE and other supplies and tools they needed.
2. So we wouldn't run out of hospital beds.
3. To buy time to come up with a treatment(s) to those who are at-risk.

Guess what? We did all that. Mission accomplished. Time to go back to work. Let businesses and families handle shit their own way. If you want to wear a mask? Go ahead, knock yourself out. Don't want to wear a mask? Then don't wear one. Run a business and want to require mask wearing? No one should stop you. Don't want to require patrons to wear a mask inside your office? Up to you. Your stuff. Your property.

Because, at the end of the day, life is about mitigating risks. You risk your life and the lives of others every time you drive a car with passengers in it. Just like you can't just stop driving, you can't stop or slow down our economy and social activities just because people who are at-risk the most, like my neighbor, might catch it and might die. He died. It sucks. But, like I said in the OP, he died with a HOST of other major medical problems. Anything could have tipped him over the edge.

And I have a feeling most COVID deaths are like that.

Top Bottom