• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Used to Worry About Hot Days

LordOfChaos

Calling BS. If you can hear it at couch distance then why does your video take place right up against it?

Because it would be incredibly hard for a generic mic to pick it up with ambient noises closer to it as I'm sure you know, and the purpose of the video from a month before this conversation was more that vibrating fan noise anyways. Here's the same conversation I had a month ago in the PS5 OT, responding to someone else with a similar noise and similar video.

Why would I lie about that when I said it's just a minor 2% annoyance that I didn't get a completely silent one and I could RMA it, and there are plenty of people in the same boat as me? It's the only next gen system I got, but man fanboys are so weirdly touchy sometimes lol, didn't even say it's a big problem but if it's not perfectly good news about the system it has to be a lie for no purpose whatsoever. Numerous people had coil and fan noise, it's a lottery on nearly completely silent ones.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Because it would be incredibly hard for a generic mic to pick it up with ambient noises closer to it as I'm sure you know, and the purpose of the video from a month before this conversation was more that vibrating fan noise anyways. Here's the same conversation I had a month ago in the PS5 OT, responding to someone else with a similar noise and similar video.

Why would I lie about that when I said it's just a minor 2% annoyance that I didn't get a completely silent one and I could RMA it, and there are plenty of people in the same boat as me? It's the only next gen system I got, but man fanboys are so weirdly touchy sometimes lol, didn't even say it's a big problem but if it's not perfectly good news about the system it has to be a lie for no purpose whatsoever. Numerous people had coil and fan noise, it's a lottery on nearly completely silent ones.
If it’s so quiet that a microphone can’t pick it up then it can’t be that bad. A microphone can capture a whisper from that distance so it would be much quieter than that.

LordOfChaos

If it’s so quiet that a microphone can’t pick it up then it can’t be that bad. A microphone can capture a whisper from that distance so it would be much quieter than that.

Good thing I didn't say it was bad. I just said it became noticeable, which is 2% disappointing compared to people who got ones they say are near completely silent.

I could pick it up on a mic, but then with playback on youtube on another systems speakers, it just invites more debate, when I was just giving my experience and slight jealousy of OP.

Last edited:

ratburger

About 44% of homes in the Seattle area and 79% of homes in the Portland area have some form of air conditioning, according to the Census Bureau.
Portland is a couple hundred miles south of Seattle. Which makes sense, further south you live, the more you'll want AC.

cireza

Banned
- Oh no, my house is too hot !
- Hurry, buy an Air Conditioner !
- Amazing, now my house feels much better !
- How strange, the temperature keeps getting higher and higher every year.
- No problem, buy a more powerful Air Conditioner !

I know that some places are close to impossible to live in without AC, but installing AC in places like Canada or Europe should be given a couple seconds of thinking.

When it is very hot in my house, I avoid turning on TV, computer, consoles. You can do other things during your spare time, or play a handheld console that does not produce heat.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

- Oh no, my house is too hot !
- Hurry, buy an Air Conditioner !
- Amazing, now my house feels much better !
- How strange, the temperature keeps getting higher and higher every year.
- No problem, buy a more powerful Air Conditioner !

I know that some places are close to impossible to live in without AC, but installing AC in places like Canada or Europe should be given a couple seconds of thinking.

When it is very hot in my house, I avoid turning on TV, computer, consoles. You can do other things during your spare time, or play a handheld console that does not produce heat.

Europe is a lot of places...Portugal is frickin hot in the summer, or Italy, or Spain. Northern 2/3rds, yeah.

There's only a couple of days here in Canada that made me consider it, but getting a heat pump mostly to pay less for oil in the winter sure was a nice thing in the summer, since a heat pump and AC basically work in reverse of each other and the heat pump can pull double duty.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Europe is a lot of places...Portugal is frickin hot in the summer, or Italy, or Spain. Northern 2/3rds, yeah.
Yes, I did not go into detail, but obviously, this will depend on the country. I live in France, and a lot of people are installing AC near where I live, which I personally find not justified at all. They don't have health problems or whatever, they are simply installing these AC, that make noise and generate more heat outside.

I also see people watering the lawn in extremely hot days. Fucking waste of water. Some recycle the rain, so that's fine, but we had periods without a single drop of rain during the last couple years, with water restrictions, and they would still do it.

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
The PS5 should be quiet since a family of 5 dogs or cats could live in that oversized mother fucker. Sony was drunk when designing the look and size of the PS5. I really hope they do a revision that is normal looking instead of looking like it got melted.

DonF

As an ex owner of the OG PS4 Pro...I feel ya.
Specially with physical high demanding games, like God of war 2016. Dear God that thing was LOUD on hot days.

Xeaker

BULL FUCKING SHIT

I bought mine in early February 2014 with Killzone: Shadow Fall and it was loud since the very day one and my friend bought it like a month from that and it was also really loud. If I would have classic X360 I would be probably ok with that, but going from PS3S and X360S it was really bad experience.

My PS4 was competely silent for at least 2 years. I asked my brother and he said the same.
So yeah, nothing special for the PS5 to be quite right now, in 5 years it might be a jet engine too.

Pantz

Hit 117° here yesterday, highest I can remember. Window A/C is completely overpowered at these temps but still helps.

I turned everything off, not because of worry, but for trying not to add extra heat sources.

So 3DS got some love while everything else was off.

Much nicer 93° projected for today.

Esppiral

If you think the ps5 is silent try an Xbox Series X, not trying to start a console war but really that thing sounds like it is powered off, the ps5 is certainly not loud but I can hear it.

Marlenus

All my neighbors do not have air con.

Average summer temperature is 22 C (72 F) here, and we get an average of 20 days each year over 25 C.

Aircon is not really needed.

We also get a very dry heat here, and that makes a huge difference.

Just an unusual intensive heatwave hitting us now. Maybe aircon in our future.

Temperature inland are breaking records. 46 C (115 F). If we get that, heading to any store/mall with aircon.

I am based in the UK so Aircon for the home is of limited value. We did buy some nice quality ceiling fans though and on the hottest of days / nights they do make it a lot more comfortable.

The fact more than a couple are suggestions he should have A/C at home...

Different countries, and different economies, can really be alien worlds to each other cant they.

Top Bottom