• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want good ice cream. What are good brands and their flavors?

There's been a surge of premium ice cream lately. They're all pretty good. I do like how Haagen Dazs still manages to keep it's good texture without any gums. I wouldnt write off an ice cream just because it has a stabilizer like guar gum but I don't like ice cream where you can notice it. Modern day Breyers sucks for that.

SweetPoTorchedMarsh-EComm-505__24573.1506617997.1280.1280.jpg

Ben and Jerry's have a few I really like. The Tonight Dough is probably my favorite, Cherry Garcia and The Americone Dream are great as well

Linkura

Ben & Jerry's, Graeter's, Haagen-Daz

Going to add some flavors:

Ben & Jerry's: Americone Dream, Coffee Coffee Buzz Buzz Buzz, Cinnamon Buns, One Love

Graeter's: Anything with dem chocolate chips. I wish they sold the seasonal strawberry chocolate chip in places other than their ice cream shops. :'(

Haagen-Daz: Vanilla bean (note: they have both regular vanilla and vanilla bean; I hate the plain vanilla but love the vanilla bean), caramel cone. I gotta try some more of theirs, we usually just get vanilla bean.

blackflag

The best store bought Ice Creams are officially as follows:

1. Ben And Jerry - Peanut Butter World (Target Exclusive)
2. Talenti - Sea Salt Caramel
3. Haagen Dazs - Chocolate Peanut Butter

Blue Bell would be all over this list if they didn't literally kill people with their ice cream.

Figgles

There's been a surge of premium ice cream lately. They're all pretty good. I do like how Haagen Dazs still manages to keep it's good texture without any gums. I wouldnt write off an ice cream just because it has a stabilizer like guar gum but I don't like ice cream where you can notice it. Modern day Breyers sucks for that.

Modern day Breyers sucks, so Turkey Hill took over. Their All Natural line is what Breyers used to be. It even had similar packaging, when it was called Philadelphia style.

Turkey Hill All Natural mint chocolate chip is the best followed by their chocolate. I don’t have time for ice cream loaded with gums and corn syrup.

crpav

Depends on how much you want to spend.

From your picture try Talenti which is actually a Gelato. Halo Top is decent BUT it's a healthier option and can't stand up to real ice cream as far as creaminess and full flavor. Stay clear of Almond Milk and Soy as they taste funny unless you like those types of flavor bases.

Blue Bunny is a decent cheap easy to find option with many great flavors.

Now stepping up would be Ben & Jerrys which has quite a few great flavors. Depends on what you like. A vanilla guy? Chocolate? Caramel? Cheesecake? Haggen Dasz is another good choice on par with B&J but I prefer B&J.

Graeter's is a step above all of those and may not be found near you. It can be ordered but it's spendy. They are a higher quality brand though and I highly recommend. I saw a Sweet Me shout out but also only found in select areas. Luckily I live in ND and one store has them and I tried every flavor and enjoyed them all. THey are in line with Ben and Jerrys.

Now for the expensive to order stuff above Graeters. Ample Hills, Salt & Straw and Little G are the top of the list from what I have ordered but with shipping it gets into the near or over $20 a pint.

teepo

i'm a bit of an ice cream connoisseur. at least i'd like to think so, but i'm more of an addict since i have to avoid the ice cream aisle every time i go to the grocery store. i'll try nearly every brand and flavor i can get my hands on

from the selection in the photo, i can easily vouch for alden. their vanilla bean is legit and their birthday cake is better than the rest

talenti is fantastic but some flavors are overly sweet. start with the basics and avoid anything with fruits flavors such as banana. i'm a huge fan of the double dark chocolate

and while i don't see it, i still think hagan daz is easily the best and most consistent of the major ice cream brands. also their ingredients, especially the base, are simply on point. if you can get your hands on the chocolate peanut butter or pistacho, lord have mercy

and for the love of god, avoid halo top

Neith

Banned
6a00e0098ae0f3883301156ff433f1970b-pi

Very good

7cc609e5099f1f1a92639dbccb819285.jpg

God tier

Fucking agreed dude. That Ben and Jerry's right there is fucking INSANELY good. If that gets retired I will cry deep tears of sorrow.

i'm a bit of an ice cream connoisseur. at least i'd like to think so, but i'm more of an addict since i have to avoid the ice cream aisle every time i go to the grocery store. i'll try nearly every brand and flavor i can get my hands on

from the selection in the photo, i can easily vouch for alden. their vanilla bean is legit and their birthday cake is better than the rest

talenti is fantastic but some flavors are overly sweet. start with the basics and avoid anything with fruits flavors such as banana. i'm a huge fan of the double dark chocolate

and while i don't see it, i still think hagan daz is easily the best and most consistent of the major ice cream brands. also their ingredients, especially the base, are simply on point and always consistent. if you can get your hands on the chocolate peanut butter or pistacho, lord have mercy

and for the love of god, avoid halo top

I agree some Talenti's are super good. Some not as much. Another less known brand is Alden's Organic. There double chocolate chip is amazing and Vanilla is great too.

Neith

Banned
What is the difference between ice cream and gelato tho?

Just try one. They are smoother, but they are still wholesome. Don't come to these if you are looking for things to chew on. I recommend the mint, salted caramel, or the peanut butter if you want something that is going to make a hard impression for its taste. They are really blended well.

traveler

Not Wario
Make a pilgrimage to Portland, LA, or (soon) Seattle and try Salt and Straw. Any flavor will do. Sampled ice cream places all over and it was hands down the best.

Just try one. They are smoother, but they are still wholesome. Don't come to these if you are looking for things to chew on. I recommend the mint, salted caramel, or the peanut butter if you want something that is going to make a hard impression for its taste. They are really blended well.

I can't i am not stateside.

I've had gelato tho from an gelateria in Newburyport, MA and it was like really good ice cream but it was ice cream.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Modern day Breyers sucks, so Turkey Hill took over. Their All Natural line is what Breyers used to be. It even had similar packaging, when it was called Philadelphia style.

Turkey Hill All Natural mint chocolate chip is the best followed by their chocolate. I don’t have time for ice cream loaded with gums and corn syrup.
Turkey Hill, forgot about them. Their egg nog flavor is usually the only one available during the holidays. Which in turn has it sold out alot.

Maybe I'm boring, but nothing tops Bluebell homemade vanilla for me.

I tend to buy a pack of Reese's to mix in with a pint when I eat any.

jacobeid

Banned
Jeni's is amazing, but not easy to find.

I took growing up with it for granted. One of my childhood friend's dad had a shop in the North Market when Jeni was first starting. Crazy to see how big it got.

PS - no Graeter's hate here (just depends on my mood!). They're great and Ohio is GOAT for ice cream.

Top Bottom