• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want the PS5 to fail and XSX+XSS to succeed

Iced Arcade

I think I get what you are saying (just bad wording).

I always own both but my preferred console tend to be Xbox and would prefer them to be in a fighting place as 1st place tends to get complacent imo.

The Xbox one would have been a completely different thing if they were #1 and the PS3 was am amazing system because they had to fight ever step of the way.

mitch1971

What I mean by "failing": Sony can still sell more consoles than MS next gen, but I want the sales to be even, so that Sony need to give us (consumers) more for your money. Even Sales would be a "failure" for Sony and a success story for MS.
Example: Sony sells 80m PS5s, MS sells 70m Xbox Seres X/S.

tenor.gif

LordOfChaos

It's not going to happen, the PS brand is far too strong globally and look at all the interest out there. They'd have to fuck it up spectacularly.

But I do see the point that the second place player is often the one who tries hardest to win back consumers. Free online play the PS3 launched with though, not a response to lagging in sales.

The OP makes no sense whatsoever.
You read that right. I want the PS5 to fail miserably like PS3. Why? Because its best for us consumers. Remember when PS3 failed? It was great for us:
- Free Multiplayer (No PS+ needed)
- More and better Exclusives (imo)
- 3 free PS+ games monthly
- More aggressive price cuts(How tf PS4 is still 299$ after 7 years!!!)

If Xbox 360 hadn't been that successful, we wouldn't have gotten all this. With PS4, Sony got cocky and now we need PS+ for MP, we gotten less 1st or 2nd party exclusives this gen , less monthly ps+ games and higher console pricing.

None of the OP makes any sense. Free multiplayer was already decided before PS3 was even released. Going by your logic, Sony would have charged for online due to the great success of the PS2. If MS could do it with the fraction of the userbase, why couldn't Sony get away with it?

Sony charged for online this gen simply because they believed after 7 years of PSN, they were finally at parity with Xbox Live and could get away with it. MS was years ahead with their online infrastructure and it took Sony time to catch up.

If the PS3 failed Sony wouldn't have gotten cocky with the PS4. Nothing in your posts makes any sense. All Sony's decisions for the PS3 don't come within a whim of a bad sales for a couple of months. Game development, along with great exclusives takes years. Business plans for their online infrastructure are not decided based on a month of NPD results.

As oppose to everyone being successful and we as gamers having people competing over our dollars which lead to better games and experiences for us? This shit is why I hate fanboys why can’t you just enjoy what you want without having to want someone else’s enjoyment to suffer or fail or dissuade them. 🤦🏾‍♂️

soulbait

I never understand the mindset of wanting a product to fail. Even if it is from a competitor's product that you are not a fan of. Even more bizarre when it is a product for a company you are a fan of. You are confusing competition with failure.

This generation, Xbox has not been a good competition for Sony. Xbox has not been beating Sony in any traditional metrics, so why would Sony change course? Innovation can take place without direct competition, but it is usually slower. This coming generation will be interesting. There are two competitive advantages that XSX could have over PS5, one traditional the other new:

For the traditional aspect, with Xbox being more powerful, there is a good chance third-party games will run best on the XSX. The Xbox One X currently runs third party games the best, but it was released too late within this generation to really make a big impact. Having XSX launching as the console, on paper, with more power, and both having weak launch line ups (granted Xbox looks the weakest right now), more attention could go towards the third party games for the first year. If the average consumers get the impression that third party games run best on Xbox, then that could swing some purchases for those on the fence or more the casual gamers out there.

For the new competition, we have Game Pass. I don't necessary see Game Pass as a console seller, but I do see it as a massive revenue/profit driver. If MS gains the massive revenue that Game Pass has the potential to generate, I can see Sony making improvements to PS NOW and adding in more features for it. Also, Game Pass on the PC side of things, might drive Sony to release more games on PC (which we are kind of starting to see).

I am excited to see what happens in the next couple of years. I am an Xbox first gamer and will be getting XSX at launch, with a PS5 probably the following year to start picking up their really good exclusives that I like. However, I try to remain unbiased and know that both consoles are presenting incredible power and great games. I don't root for one over the other. The more competition there is, the better it is for all of us gamers. I really hope Microsoft can start competing again within the overall gamer's mindshare (even though recent things has made me doubt that some), because we will all benefit from it.

Come November, I hope no matter which console you console gamers decide to purchase, we are all happy and enjoying our fun hobby on the most powerful consoles ever released.

This could be the last console generation and you want Sony failing? do you know console failing means less support for third parties? have you seen the Japanese support on Xbox?, do you want that?
"Last console generation" even though all 3 consoles have sold roughly 200 million combined (TBF that's accounting people like me who play all platforms) and software sales are the highest they've ever been, even slightly higher than PC.

What's the alternative? A digital platform? PC? Sounds gloomy to me.

azz0r

Banned
You read that right. I want the PS5 to fail miserably like PS3. Why? Because its best for us consumers. Remember when PS3 failed? It was great for us:

If Xbox 360 hadn't been that successful, we wouldn't have gotten all this. With PS4, Sony got cocky and now we need PS+ for MP, we gotten less 1st or 2nd party exclusives this gen , less monthly ps+ games and higher console pricing.

I want the XSX to succeed and I hope that MS puts pressure on Sony with XSX, XSS, Gamepass etc., so we, the consumers, benefit from this friendly competition.

I am still going to buy a PS5 digital edition, but I dont want Sony to have a 2x sales advantage this gen. If sony sells 60-70m PS5s this gen, you could call it a failure. If MS sells the same (XSX+XSS combined) I would call this a success for them. What do you think?

EDIT: What I mean with this thread title: For example Sony selling "only" 80m PS5s (fail in comparison to PS4) and MS selling 70m Xbox Series X/S (success compared to Xbone)
It would take one generation of failure for Sonys gaming division to go the way of Sega. I wouldn't wish it on them.

Microsoft is big enough that even if it fails, the company wont fail.

Your priorities are completely in the wrong place. Do you want a Microsoft monopoly on gaming? Disgusting.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
PS3 still outsold the 360

At the very end of the generation, they barely just caught up right at the end, and it was something to jot down like some achievement because that generation lasted longer than any other generation which was typically 5 years at best and 5 years in X360 was still dominating. The point is that Sony got caught off guard, OG Xbox went from selling about 25M vs Sony selling over 100M, to selling on par by the end of the generation, that's a HUGE boost for Xbox and a massive piece of the pie sharing, it made cocky Sony into what they are today.

Wanting a particular brand or console to fall or perform bad is extremely selfish and childish.

While I truly want Xbox to succeed this generation that doesn't mean I do no want Sony to continue having their success or stop producing good games. If both companies are successful in their own ways, it will create healthy competition and in return both will produce better ideas and products in the long run.

Pathetic thread and just flat out childish.

Last edited:
Well, I want whoever is not betting on all-digital for it's base console and is better priced to win.

I think if physical ends up being a novelty we're all screwed, and we might as well all go all-in on a Xbox gamepass service when that happens.

I think both are doing some things that are not really pro-consumer. And instead, about control. Sony, of course is being morally worse because they're in that position.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
At the very end of the generation, they barely just caught up right at the end, and it was something to jot down like some achievement because that generation lasted longer than any other generation which was typically 5 years at best and 5 years in X360 was still dominating. The point is that Sony got caught off guard, OG Xbox went from selling about 25M vs Sony selling over 100M, to selling on par by the end of the generation, that's a HUGE boost for Xbox and a massive piece of the pie sharing, it made cocky Sony into what they are today.

gnSEAEA.jpg

JFC, can we get these kind of threads banned or shut down? They only give fodder for Sony fanboys to attack Xbox fans by insinuating all of them are like the OP. Xbox community is already smaller by default so threads like these aren't a good reflection on it, let alone fails to provide any genuine discussion around next-gen.

Every single point OP brings up could've been presented WITHOUT making their post console wars bait, how is this so hard to avoid doing?

Antitype

You're all very harsh with the OP. I think everyone would benefit if Sony could eat some humble pie this gen. Main benefit being less moneyhatting, as it would cost them a lot more due to smaller install base and potentially more lost sales for publishers (thus bigger risk, less likely to do it). That money could then be redirected towards first party output, since the need to differentiate themselves from the competition would still be there.

mili2110

If Sony sells 70-80m and MS sells 60-70m it is a failure for Sony and a success for MS. Both companies wont go broke. It is a realistic scenario considering higher price points, power differnces and current covid climate. If this scenario comes true, I believe we will get the best games and gaming experience from both manufacturers as stiffer competition results in both companies trying to one up each other with features, content etc.

Bolivar687

Banned
1. Competition does not benefit the consumer. Sony dominated the entirety of the PS2 generation and it consistently had the best exclusives throughout the lifecycle. Even after it ended, it still got masterpieces like God of War II.

2. Failure does not beget improvement. Microsoft had an entire 7-year generation to correct course and their lack of output is still haunting the launch of their next console. Conversely, Sony's PS3 exclusives that "turned it around" were already in the pipeline before the slow U.S. sales start - they would have released those games regardless of how well Microsoft was doing.

sobaka770

Banned
I think I kind of see the logic... kind of???

But I mean we're entering post-capitalism world. Most big markets are no longer pure competition of a large group of small enterprises. It's much more of an oligopoly today and the advances/changes related to that no longer are done always to the benefit of the consumer. PS4 dominated XOne and Sony still put out a large number of AAA GOTY exclusives and doesn't seem to stop. Microsoft is struggling but finding alternative ways to compete maybe.

So really what's there to gain from Sony failure? Don't conusmers want more AAA Single player masterpieces and sequels to God of War, Horizon being actually great? Or are we just talking Microsoft doing much better? They have to earn that trust back with consoles, games and offerings.

fallingdove

I want the XSX to succeed and I hope that MS puts pressure on Sony with XSX, XSS, Gamepass etc., so we, the consumers, benefit from this friendly competition.

I am still going to buy a PS5 digital edition, but I dont want Sony to have a 2x sales advantage this gen. If sony sells 60-70m PS5s this gen, you could call it a failure. If MS sells the same (XSX+XSS combined) I would call this a success for them. What do you think?

EDIT: What I mean with this thread title: For example Sony selling "only" 80m PS5s (fail in comparison to PS4) and MS selling 70m Xbox Series X/S (success compared to Xbone)

What? No.

The quantity and quality of PS4 exclusive games has far surpassed what we got with PS3.

Gloggins

Spoken like someone who did not go through the crash thanks to a bad Atari monopoly. Did not live through Nintendo treating gamers and developers like crap when they ruled the industry with an iron fist. People bitch about censorship now lol. The Sony seal of approval would be a thing if they drive out Microsoft to control content they don't like. Good luck getting digital refunds like steam in a Sony monopoly. Game prices lol after they raise up ecosystem fees and punish those they have a beef with. When Sony won by a 100 million the first thing out of thier mouths get a second job lol. So gtfo that competition is overrated.
Nope.

Bryank75 already made this point for me - PS2 and PS4 had no real competition. Yet they're more beloved than their predecessors. Competition is one of so many factors.

Neff

I would certainly like Sony to try harder this time. Having a generation almost entirely to themselves meant they could pretty much do whatever they wanted. Which wasn't much.

Neo Blaster

Is this thread for real? Instead of wishing for PS5 failure, why don't you complain to MS to up their efforts? All you're doing is leveling everyone to the lowest common denominator. Nintendo is doing their own thing and that's working wonders for them, Switch is selling like hotcakes.

iHaunter

People forget that the PS3 started out weak and still outsold the Xbox 360. But either way, 360 at least had good games and tried to innovate.

Abear21

Banned
New Consoles have amazing value and are pro consumer already. The hardware in both is equivalent to $1000 pc. Healthy competition is what we need. Wishing to pay less or refusing to support one or the other will only hurt the industry we love.

Playstation seems to be on a roll and competition doesn't seem to be too strong at the moment. I’m thinking something like a hardware failure would be the only thing that would hurt them this upcoming gen.

I was really hoping MS would bring the heat with all the beefy specs talk and I’m still holding out hope for something special from their studios.

Last edited:

Zok310

Banned
PS4 was a success and it was great for consumers so was the NS.
Seems like you just want free shit ya hippi

S0ULZB0URNE

Ps3 didn't fail though... it beat the 360.

We just need MS to be more aggressive with xbox...no ps5 failure required.

MrS

Banned
This shit is weak as fuck. I want Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft to succeed as a rising tide lifts all boats.

Last edited:
What I mean by "failing": Sony can still sell more consoles than MS next gen, but I want the sales to be even, so that Sony need to give us (consumers) more for your money. Even Sales would be a "failure" for Sony and a success story for MS.
Example: Sony sells 80m PS5s, MS sells 70m Xbox Seres X/S.

This is a rant... but thats what I do, I rant a bit for an hour or something in between work and post it just to be thorough.

The PS3 was innovative. It had a lot of high end and new hardware at launch.

Wireless controllers,
HDMI,
Blutooth,
Wifi,
Bluray drive and movie playback ,
standard off the shelf up-gradable HDD,
2 generations of full backward compatability including an adapter to move PS2 saves to it
compatability with PS2 controllers (dongle) and PS1 and 2 video cables
Multiple memory card slots
USB (later Media server) media playback

Etc...

The reason it did poorly was because it was a year behind and it cost a hell of a lot of money
while the world was heading into a recession....

What did that "lesson" they learned / survived give us? I dont want to be a dick in saying this but we know, outright, that Microsoft
wanted a console similar enough to Sony's console. They both run the same architecture. The PS4 generation
was comparatively, for its power at launch especially certain aspects like the CPU- The weakest generation for flagship consoles.

The slow ramp up of PS3 sales led Sony to make a console they knew they could sell at 399 at launch next.
That 399 price point accounting for inflation is equivalent of a 345 dollar price, if adjusted for 2006 when the PS3 launched.
And Microsofts Xbox one 499 launch? Adjusting for inflation its only a ~5 percent increase over the cost of the Xbox 360 at launch.
But that was including the kinect etc.

You can only imagine how much weaker the PS3 and 360 would be adjusting for that price on launch
and. Imagine a PS3 with wired controllers, no bluray drive and only a 20GB HDD available at launch, no WIFI.... Now maybe it would approach
the 350 dollar price point. Likely not even then given they were selling each one at a loss. More likely it would also have to be weaker to sell
at that price. We dont have to imagine- We got the Xbox one and PS4 - which launched highly outclassed already by budget video cards.
Yes they had all those features I named from the PS3- 7 years later after they were passe' and didnt cost much to implement. No longer
cutting edge to have WIFI, you could buy a 100 or less dollar tablet in 2013 that had blutooth, wifi, etc etc.

The PS4 was a laptop with a somewhat decent, GPU-centric APU with one of the weakest mobile-level CPUs that is - til this day
universally thought of as the weak link in the machines. Why? Because Sony was penny pinching, Because Sony was looking to release
something they knew would be affordable and have no issues getting a big installed base out there. PS4 was Sony's bow down from
exotic hardware and inovation. The PS4 has only the share function and controller touch pad and speaker over the PS3- in all other aspects its just more powerful but
they share all other actual features. Even though 499 would have been probably an acceptable price point and they could have aimed for a nicer CPU or
over 2TF- they dialed it back.

The PS5 is what happens when Sony is once again in a position where they can spend money, take chances, and lead the market enough to know
"If we do THIS and THIS- even if its a change, developers want to release on our platform- we could change the face of console games by
doing this- but its going to cost more and its going to make waves, they wont be simple ports, if they take time to TRY, our system will do something new "

They didnt just put another, bigger hard drive in the machine. Its a totally different storage technology- one so advanced they are on the cutting edge of
what even PCs have inside them this year. They went so far that even Microsoft in its position to try to make a one-up and their recent tradition started with the one X
of having higher specs... they managed not to be able to match. They created a new controller.... even further removed from their first 3 generations of controllers
and adding actual functional differences through adaptive throw triggers and advanced haptics, And in spite of what people are bitching about on the power-side....

We were not as obsessed with teraflops that much back in 2013... Ok some people were but there was very little in the news- And when they did it was to compare
1.8 to 1.3 in the two consoles. Even then when the Xbox one was tweaked last minute they upped the CPU .... they didnt bump the GPU to 1.4 til Xbox one S.

Today - this year we have some PC cards in the mid teens for teraflops. We have some coming out with 20-30 (for a lot, lot of money)
Do you remember that in 2013 the R7 260X was like 150 bucks, and it had 2 teraflops? It on paper beat the PS4 for 150 bucks.
The RTX 2080 has 11 Teraflops and is an older generation of card, but youre still not going to break 10TF for less than .. well I dont know
for sure given sales and the market right now but a 2060 Super OC model is like 7TF and those are around 350 bucks.

Even accounting for the fact that you could get a STRONGER card for 150 then and a weaker card for 350 now, factor in the GPU
as a measure of percentage of price in a comparison and you see obviously.. .350 for that GPU lets assume discounts once the
new cards are out and lets give the benefit of the doubt and say 300 bucks for a 10tf card this christmas.
Even if the PS5 is 600 bucks, the GPU is half of that... and thats not factoring in the high end storage solution.

TLDR: PS4s generation was weak because PS3 didnt do well and MS was instead trying to differentiate itself with its Xbox one
moving to what eventually became gamepass and the series S, taking used sales out of the equation and encouraging use of
their store, services and subscriptions leading to things like the pathetic Jaguar CPU holding us back terrible, and
the PS5 and SERIES X represent consoles closer in power-to-price ratio of generations before making them a better value
for the money in terms of specs.

I think this is a good time for console gamers. Ok so there will be some cheaper options, MS may pick up some casuals if it gets the right
messaging though I honestly think they've already bought switches and Nintendo will dump the price by 50 bucks this holiday and
simply sweep that market fully (My prediction).

Last edited:

reptilex

Banned
It's not that I don't want it to succeed, is that all of the analysts currently agree that it will "fail" in a PS3+ fashion.

Bad signals over bad signals, and finally the disappointing reveals. The sole facts that you have fanboys in denial is usually a signs of the end like it always was for the losing platform or brands.

I never had an Xbox, always hated it, but for the first time I might switch.

PS3 still outsold the 360

oh really?...

kbBs3d5.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom