• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want to be angry about AC: Origins loot boxes before knowing if they're bad

With all the talk about non-cosmetic loot boxes recently, I haven't seen anyone talking about AC Origins' loot boxes.

I've been watching some of the preview videos posted in the previews thread and saw a loot box!

Item description: Contains one random weapon or shield. Opens automatically on purchase.

hGeka-tbSzaXv-HN_kpNyA.png

https://youtu.be/2yqQer3XhKs?t=2m30s at 2:30

It's called "Heka Chest" and according to Wikipedia, Heka means magic in Egyptian. I don't know if that's a type of several other types or they're all called Heka Chests. It's labeled a "Mystery Item" which could mean there are other mystery items in the game.

Seems like you can only buy them with in-game currency, in the preview build at least. I bet the final build will have Helix credit.

Nerf my drop rate if old.

EDIT: Nothing is confirmed yet and AC games have had MT in their games for a long time but none affected the game. I hope Ubi clarify this before release.

Fuck 'em. Comes out the same day as Mario and Wolfenstein any way. I'll play those, then buy this used, and then sell it when done. They can enjoy zero of my dollars.

Cubas

*pretends to be shocked*

I don't have a problem with loot boxes if they're only for cosmetic items and help to fund free DLC

DataBased

Micro-transactions have been in these games for a while and have been completely useless if you put the normal amount of time into the game. I hope these are similar.

oldmario

Fuck 'em. Comes out the same day as Mario and Wolfenstein any way. I'll play those, then buy this used, and then sell it when done. They can enjoy zero of my dollars.

you can generally play Assassin's Creed games without having to buy into any of the dlc premium money things, the only things these things usually do is make you OP in the games and kills any challenge to it

_woLf

This was buggy as shit when I played it at PAX so I figured I'd probably avoid it anyway, but yeah this kinda confirms it.

From what I've heard you even have to find this dealer in game and they roam around.

Sounds like it might be one of those things where if you happen upon this roaming merchant you can buy the mystery chest.

Seems a bit different than choosing "Market" from the main menu.

I could be wrong though. I wouldn't put it pass Ubisoft (or any publisher) to somehow fuck this up as well.

Seyfert

I have faith that they handle it just like previous AC microtransaction. Because the way they handle it is harmless and nothing effect game balance and not make thing more grind than it should be.

Ashtar

Since ac4 there have been "helix credits " or whatever offered as speed boost, I've never bought any and they haven't effected my enjoyment of ac in any way. Hopefully that remains true.

Why are people acting surprised? Loot boxes / micro-transactions have been in the franchise for a while now.

And also nearly every major 3rd party title in the next 3-5 years will all have Loot Boxes / MT's heavily featured. It's going to be more rare for a AAA title to not feature MT's than it will be games that do have them

SlickVic

Syndicate had microtransactions but they were pretty easy to ignore and avoid. If they have graduated to real money loot boxes for Origins I hope they remain just as useless.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
If ubisoft games could get any worse.
EA 2.0

Wasnt planning to buy openworld v12.5.exe anyway.
So nothing of value has been lost.

And I'll be here bitching and not supporting them financially the whole time.

I mean that's fine and all, but yeah you are going to have to be doing a staggering amount of it for a very long time if you are so opposed to the idea.

There will no backtracking at scale on this movement whatsoever. Its only going to exponentially increase.

dab0ne

What!? Guess ill just do with ass creed what I've been doing. Wait six months for them to finish it then buy it used for $20.

Edit:

I'm not being fair. I generally wait 6 months for every game to be finished then buy it for $20.

Haven't past AC games had it and it never really effected the games balance? If Im wrong then fuck 'em, Im happy with Odyssey and Wolfenstein.

darklin0

Banned
Haven't bought and AC games since Brotherhood. I was actually excited for this one but I am now gonna cancel my preorder.

Yves this wont save Ubisoft.

At least with Forza 7, Shadow of War and now AssCreed my wallet feels much better this year.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Isn't this only in game cash?
Yes. OP made a mistake. This is basically buying a box at a shop with the in-game currency instead of finding one in a camp or temple. Hence the expense. You're basically buying stuff from a grave robber hence the name "Nomad." Whether game has loot boxes is unconfirmed.

Haven't past AC games had it and it never really effected the games balance? If Im wrong then fuck 'em, Im happy with Odyssey and Wolfenstein.
And yes, MTs in Ubi's games are always insanely negligible.

Logash

If it's not an online game and doesn't effect the main game who gives a fuck. Shadow of wars problem is that they are almost required to get the true ending and that stronger loot is possible through them than the main game. AC has had microtransactions for a while now and the never got in my way so I have no reason to believe they will now.

You're not wrong.

MayMay

Banned
I mean it says right there it's in-game cash.. this goddamn outrage always holy shit you guys.

Pay in-game currency, get a random item - hundreds of games have done it.

We're going to need to start putting "SHOCKING NEWS" in loot box threads.
Sad state we're in with this gambling nonsense.

EDIT - We all know this will be monetized/buyable at some point. We've done this song and dance before.

I mean it says right there it's in-game cash.. this goddamn outrage always holy shit you guys.

Pay in-game currency, get a random item - hundreds of games have done it.

I mean to be fair AC Origins will almost assuredly feature in game MT's. The series has had them for years now

That said I do agree that people tend to overdue it on the negative reactions towards them

MUnited83

For you.
Fairly sure that it's only in-game money.

Not to mention, even if it wasn't, there has yet to be a single time in the series where the microtransactions actually affected anything.

Top Bottom