• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want to be angry about AC: Origins loot boxes before knowing if they're bad

Man, Randy Pitchford must be licking his chops at the thought of loot boxes in Borderlands 3 right about now. This loot box craze for upcoming games is gettin' crazy.

Van Bur3n

Ah, yes. I remember these ancient artifacts in my study of Egyptian history. Many idiot peasants would buy into them. Truly Ubisoft has put forth an impressive amount of effort in capturing that historical accuracy of ancient Egypt. Such immersion.

gogosox82

Is this like the Helix stuff that was in Syndicate? Iirc, that was never in the base game but in the menu and most of that stuff was completely useless.

Edit: Looking at it again, it looks like its just in game currency so its a non issue. But they may put MT's on them since loot boxes are so popular and make so much money so its definitely something to keep an eye out for.

Seems like you can only buy them with in-game currency, in the preview build at least. I bet the final build will have Helix credit.

WTF? Incredibly misleading title if you are purely speculating that they may charge for them. I wish mods would change the title, because nothing points to them charging money for loot crates. There are zero problems with random crates in games. That's just... gameplay. Origins has more RPG elements and more crafting, so the crates are just a way for you to use the money you earn to roll new stats on items or get more powerful gear. Absolutely nothing controversial about that. I haven't played AC since AC4 so maybe I'm missing something in newer games?

Generally, if there are real-money loot crates, they are given away in the Digital Deluxe or "Ultimate" versions, and there are no mentions of crates at all in the Gold edition of AC:O, so this seems like bullshit.

Nick_C

IIRC, dyes have also been in since ACII and they weren't microtransactions then.

I kinda addressed this with the comparison to SM64. They've had dyes in all of them up since 2 up until the most recently released Syndicate. Some were available in-game, some cost extra. No problem throwing a few extra bucks towards the devs for something that is purely cosmetic as long as I get to choose which cosmetic it is.

oti

Banned
If you're surprised by this, you haven't been paying attention. I'd imagine Ubisoft's shareholders would be pretty pissed if there weren't any loot boxes in the game.

NKnight7

Neo Member
Man, Randy Pitchford must be licking his chops at the thought of loot boxes in Borderlands 3 right about now. This loot box craze for upcoming games is gettin' crazy.

Even though I can't wait for the next Borderlands whenever it releases, I won't be surprised if there's loot boxes.

Man I’m saving so much money!

Forza , Shadow of war now AC Origins

I’m now not buying any of these because I don’t want to support this kind of shit in my games

Last time I was in favour of loot boxes was in Overwatch but the odds now are rubbish on getting anything good so I’ve stopped with that as well

Oh well still getting Mario Odyssey!

dex3108

It is only ONE box sold buy roaming merchant that you need to find first. It is still stupid thing and I don't like randomization. Also there is one more thing that you should know about Origins and merchants. Merchant inventory is randomly generated every time you leave area (at least that is how I understood it). So you could say that every merchant is loot box.

dreamfall

Not surprising in the slightest considering there were so many currencies across many titles, but everything was achievable at a steady pace in game. Shortcuts aren’t new, so hopefully this doesn’t change anything. Unity was the greatest offender and it felt like a slight grind but it was alright.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Not surprising in the slightest considering there were so many currencies across many titles, but everything was achievable at a steady pace in game. Shortcuts aren’t new, so hopefully this doesn’t change anything. Unity was the greatest offender and it felt like a slight grind but it was alright.
Unity had heists which gave out so much money in incredibly short amounts of time. Like you could earn 60K in five minutes.

Crossing Eden

Whoever comes up with Battle Royale starring cartoon like CG characters with lootboxes will win this gen.
maxresdefault.jpg

dex3108

Are all the mods asleep or are we going to let this misleading thread as is?

People who didn't want to buy AC Origins day 1 or at all won't buy it no matter what, those who did want to buy they will buy it no matter what so it really doesn't matter what thread title is.

eXistor

It cheapens every game and taints the overall design. It's a sad state we're in, but the masses don't seem to have any problems with them being in games (neither do reviewers apparently) so they're here to stay. Not only that; expect them to be in more and more games.

If it's paid with in game currency, why are we even talking about this?

Okay admittedly I didn't know this, but the point still stands: it still cheapens the game by having meaningless junk arbitrarily locked behind any currency, real of fake.

If it's paid with in game currency, why are we even talking about this?
Because people want to meet their outrage quota for the day.

Sad that no one batted an eye or complained this much with the same type of boxes in Horizon, but okay.

But since it's Ubisoft, let the hate train commence.

dex3108

It cheapens every game and taints the overall design. It's a sad state we're in, but the masses don't seem to have any problems with them being in games (neither do reviewers apparently) so they're here to stay. Not only that; expect them to be in more and more games.

As people previously said some kind of MT are in AC games since AC3. And every single time there was thread about them on GAF and every single time you could ignore them in game because you could get everything you wanted by the final third of the game.

Nokterian

❎Battlefront 2
❎Shadow of War
❎AC Origins

My list is getting shorter by the minute and saving me lots of money.

Because people want to meet their outrage quota for the day.

Sad that no one batted an eye or complained this much with the same type of boxes in Horizon, but okay.

But since it's Ubisoft, let the hate train commence.

You don’t think people should hate Ubisoft, but you’re sad people didn’t hate Horizon?

Crossing Eden

Okay admittedly I didn't know this, but the point still stands: it still cheapens the game by having meaningless junk arbitrarily locked behind any currency, real of fake.
Is Horizon Zero Dawn cheapened by having quite literally the exact same kind of merchant? Or other RPGs? Are the costumes cheapened by having the player buy them with in-game currency? You know, how things usually work in video games...random loot box merchants in games are not a new thing that dastardly pubs came up with this gen. It's a common game mechanic.

Roshin

And also nearly every major 3rd party title in the next 3-5 years will all have Loot Boxes / MT's heavily featured. It's going to be more rare for a AAA title to not feature MT's than it will be games that do have them

I will be spending a lot less money on new games in the coming years. Time to start looking at my backlog.

No, he/she just pointed out that nobody cared about apparently same mechanic in different popular game.

That's what you got out of that post?

He calls it a “hate train” against Ubisoft which I assume means he disagrees with the negatives towards Ubisoft. But he’s sad that it didn’t happen to Horizon?

Like he wanted it to happen to one game but not the other.

He should be glad it didn’t happen to Horizon, and sad it’s happening to A Creed.

ViviOggi

Ah, yes. I remember these ancient artifacts in my study of Egyptian history. Many idiot peasants would buy into them. Truly Ubisoft has put forth an impressive amount of effort in capturing that historical accuracy of ancient Egypt. Such immersion.

Heh

He calls it a ”hate train" against Ubisoft which I assume means he disagrees with the negatives towards Ubisoft. But he's sad that it didn't happen to Horizon?

He should be glad it didn't happen to Horizon, and sad it's happening to A Creed.
You really don't get what I meant with my post do you?

The use of "Sad" was sarcasm I'm pretty sure

What I believe he is trying to say is that it's interesting how the same in-game mechanic was ignored/accepted when utilized by a popular publisher on this site, but when the same mechanic was utilized by a not-so-popular publisher on this site it is drawing a lot of negative attention.
Pretty much. It's literally the same exact mechanic, and hardly anyone complained about it in Horizon if at all from what I've seen. I just find the similarities to both the mechanics pretty funny for the fact that people barely harped on it in Horizon, but now that a Ubisoft/Assassin's Creed is showed to have it, it's literally a shit storm.

watdaeff4

He calls it a “hate train” against Ubisoft which I assume means he disagrees with the negatives towards Ubisoft. But he’s sad that it didn’t happen to Horizon?

The use of "Sad" was sarcasm I'm pretty sure

What I believe he is trying to say is that it's interesting how the same in-game mechanic was ignored/accepted when utilized by a popular publisher on this site, but when the same mechanic was utilized by a not-so-popular publisher on this site it is drawing a lot of negative attention.

EDIT:
Also the loot box concept is generating a lot of discussion now that wasn't back in Feb. he may be referring to that also as implying people are more attuned to adding to the controversy

Braag

Hopefully these SP games don't sell enough lootboxes to make it worth implementing and maintaining in the future releases.
Highly unlikely, but I wish..

KJRS_1993

The odds of me spending money on cosmetic items is reasonable, as long as I know what I'll be getting upfront and the price is reasonable for what it is.

The odds of me spending money on a lottery box for an unknown item at the mercy of whatever random number generator that is put inside of it is a hard zero.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Lootboxes here, lootboxes there, lootboxes every fucking were. They seem to be everywere now, what was the first game to realy start using them ? I never mind them if its just cosmetic but hate them if its needed for a gameplay advantage.

Top Bottom