• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want to be angry about AC: Origins loot boxes before knowing if they're bad

Yam's

Yeah those are not the loot boxes people hate so much. It's just some random loot you can surely get by playing the game normally like old AC.

No one cared about the same kind of boxes in Horizon or Nioh. You can completely ignore them and it won't affect your gameplay experience in any way.

Unless Ubisoft does announce real loot boxes, this thread is very misleading.

hamchan

People who say “oh it’s only using in-game currency not real money” seem kinda I dunno... naive to me.

Or if not naive then they at least trust the publisher to do right by them. Maybe I’ve been playing video games too long but I wouldn’t trust 99% of AAA publishers to do right by me.

watdaeff4

People who say “oh it’s only using in-game currency not real money” seem kinda I dunno... naive to me.

Oh please tell us more.

Maybe it's naivety or maybe......just maybe.....since it's not tied to giving any sort of real money, it's just not a BFD in the grand scheme of things, even in the grand scheme of gaming-related issues?

Nah, has to just be everyone here is naive.

Odd question: Doesn't The Legend of Zelda's Amiibo functionality count as a Loot Box? You pay real money for a figure, that in many cases drops a treasure chest that will randomly give you exclusive items that can effect gameplay. Some of those items you can only get from those chests, unlocked by those Amiibo. Those exclusive items are split among different figures.

Now, currently, these boxes in AC Origins have no real money connection. An Amiibo is reusable, but you did pay real money to get them and the box is random. All that's changed is the payment frequency and the lack of a hard cap.

So what's the difference? Given just the information we have on hand?

HenryEen

Banned

Or if not naive then they at least trust the publisher to do right by them. Maybe I’ve been playing video games too long but I wouldn’t trust 99% of AAA publishers to do right by me.

As long as they are not tied to real money, it won't affect the game balance.

Why would they purposely make the game grindier if player can't spend real money anyway.

dex3108

Odd question: Doesn't The Legend of Zelda's Amiibo functionality count as a Loot Box? You pay real money for a figure, that in many cases drops a treasure chest that will randomly give you exclusive items that can effect gameplay. Some of those items you can only get from those chests, unlocked by those Amiibo. Those exclusive items are split among different figures.

Now, currently, these boxes in AC Origins have no real money connection. An Amiibo is reusable, but you did pay real money to get them and the box is random. All that's changed is the payment frequency and the lack of a hard cap.

Zelda is done and published y Nintendo that can't do wrong, and AC Origins is done and published by Ubisoft that is like worst publisher today for many GAF people :D

On more serious note. Every publisher today has a way to charge people for more money only difference is that they have different way of sugarcoating it. Some people accept it, some don't. Some publishers exploit users more, some do it "right".

jem0208

I mean it says right there it's in-game cash.. this goddamn outrage always holy shit you guys.

Pay in-game currency, get a random item - hundreds of games have done it.
Yeah...

Does this mean any sort of random weapon drop is terrible know?

Is CoD WaW: zombies retroactively ruined because it had the random weapon box?

The outrage over look boxes is one of the most ridiculous that I've ever seen...

One game is made by Nintendo and the other game is made by Ubisoft?

ViviOggi

Zelda is done and published y Nintendo that can't do wrong, and AC Origins is done and published by Ubisoft that is like worst publisher today for many GAF people :D

On more serious note. Every publisher today has a way to charge people for more money only difference is that they have different way of sugarcoating it. Some people accept it, some don't. Some publishers exploit users more, some do it "right".

Yeah...

Does this mean any sort of random weapon drop is terrible know?

Is CoD WaW: zombies retroactively ruined because it had the random weapon box?

The outrage over look boxes is one of the most ridiculous that I've ever seen...

One game is made by Nintendo and the other game is made by Ubisoft.
Let's not pretend amiibos aren't constantly catching flak and rightfully so...?

watdaeff4

As someone not a fan of loot boxes tied to $; to start with I don't agree with the concern that some have with AC:O

Now to get to your question, it was brought up in one of the other lootbox threads and no one really came up with a good answer how it was different. In fact as someone who played Zelda but doesn't buy Amiibo; I didn't even realize that mechanic was there.

From more of a meta- standpoint on lootboxes, I think my experience could be argued as Nintendo's mechanic is more benign than some of the others as while you play Zelda there is nothing in-game that "advertises " that if you but said product it gives you that loot box. Also due to how the mechanic is set up, there is much, MUCH less risk to the consumer of an impulse-buy.

For the others it seems to be more in your face and easier to succumb to on an impulse.

Furthermore the Amiibo I'm guessing have a finite handful you can buy then the money you can spend maxes out, while in the other games can feed into that gambling center of the brain perpetually.

EDIT:
The Nintendo factor could also be in play too

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
By the sound of it this has 0 real impact on the gameplay and it's not linked to real money. So I don't see the issue.

UrbanRats

They're both horrible.
Amiibo are more horrible, because you gotta have plastic junk laying around, and you have to find that plastic junk in a store, which means it can go out of stock.
But they're both horrible.

By the sound of it this has 0 real impact on the gameplay and it's not linked to real money. So I don't see the issue.

The issue here is that it's coming from Ubisoft.

I mean, I hate lootboxes as much as the next guy and I'll bring my forks ready after it's confirmed that there really are loot boxes with real money in the game. But at this point people only read the title and post as soon as they can.

As someone not a fan of loot boxes tied to $; to start with I don't agree with the concern that some have with AC:O

Now to get to your question, it was brought up in one of the other lootbox threads and no one really came up with a good answer how it was different. In fact as someone who played Zelda but doesn't buy Amiibo; I didn't even realize that mechanic was there.

From more of a meta- standpoint on lootboxes, I think my experience could be argued as Nintendo's mechanic is more benign than some of the others as while you play Zelda there is nothing in-game that "advertises " that if you but said product it gives you that loot box. Also due to how the mechanic is set up, there is much, MUCH less risk to the consumer of an impulse-buy.

For the others it seems to be more in your face and easier to succumb to on an impulse.

Furthermore the Amiibo I'm guessing have a finite handful you can buy then the money you can spend maxes out, while in the other games can feed into that gambling center of the brain perpetually.

EDIT:
The Nintendo factor could also be in play too

Interesting. This wasn't me trying to prove a point, mind you. I really wanted to parse why folks saw them differently. Having reviewed Forza 7 and Shadow of War, and played Battlefront 2's beta, I can agree they're far more in your face about jumping into those sorts of microtransactions.

Others elsewhere have pointed to the hard lock, which is around 10 figures at $13 a pop.

oti

Banned

You can reload your save and use the amiibo again to get the loot you want. You can't reload a loot box purchase.

Masonica33

Neo Member
I am willing to bet this game will shower you with so much loot that you'll already be getting rid of/selling/dismantling 95% of what drops for you, thus rendering the loot boxes utterly inconsequential.

These types of open world games with loot drops always tend to err towards giving you too much rather than too little. It's a ubi game as well, they know that the dopamine response to giving you a drop is an important part of hooking you into the gameplay loop.

So yeah, not bothered. Day 1 right here.

oti

Banned
This makes it better? You spent money to sit there reloading a save for the chance at say, the Cap of Twilight?

Yes, it makes it infinitely better. You know the purchase you made will get you the loot you want 100%. How is that not better than gambling?

AC having dumb online shit isn't new. I remember climbing to a chest in Unity and it wouldn't let me open it unless I had a certain rank in uPlay or something.

Yes, it makes it infinitely better. You know the purchase you made will get you the loot you want 100%. How is that not better than gambling?

So paying real money to eventually get the loot you want depending on RNG is better than paying in game currency for a chance at the same?

watdaeff4

Interesting. This wasn't me trying to prove a point, mind you. I really wanted to parse why folks saw them differently. Having reviewed Forza 7 and Shadow of War, and played Battlefront 2's beta, I can agree they're far more in your face about jumping into those sorts of microtransactions.

Others elsewhere have pointed to the hard lock, which is around 10 figures at $13 a pop.

I didn't take you were trying to prove a point. I do think it's a valid question and discussion topic as there wasn't any (or very minimal as I didn't notice it) discussion/outrage with the Zelda Amiibo.

I'm not trying to defend Nintendo's practice either mind you, I was just trying to give a bit more insightful or in-depth answer beyond "Nintendo bias".

Bias arguably is in play between your Nintendo example and the previous Sony example that didn't generate much discussion like we have now.

Also the "jump on the bandwagon" might be in play here as I feel like with the start of NBA2k and the multiple games immediately following it with lootboxes people are more in tune now than last Feb - March

dex3108

AC having dumb online shit isn't new. I remember climbing to a chest in Unity and it wouldn't let me open it unless I had a certain rank in uPlay or something.

It was tied to mobile app and that was stupid. But when their servers went crazy they removed that requirement and they became just like normal chests.

kc44135

Well, can't say I'm surprised. Not that I would want to buy yet another AC game again (that's no doubt once again boring, bland, repetitive, fetch-quest filled, clunky, buggy, dull, uninspired, and lacking in innovation and gameplay mechanics that actually work or are fun). This just makes me feel even better about passing on this game. What a shame about what happened to this franchise.

I didn't take you were trying to prove a point. I do think it's a valid question and discussion topic as there wasn't any (or very minimal as I didn't notice it) discussion/outrage with the Zelda Amiibo.

I'm not trying to defend Nintendo's practice either mind you, I was just trying to give a bit more insightful or in-depth answer beyond "Nintendo bias".

Bias arguably is in play between your Nintendo example and the previous Sony example that didn't generate much discussion like we have now.

Also the "jump on the bandwagon" might be in play here as I feel like with the start of NBA2k and the multiple games immediately following it with lootboxes people are more in tune now than last Feb - March

Oh no, you've been more than civil and helpful. That was more clarification to the thread at large.

The timing of Forza 7, Shadow of War, and Battlefront 2 all back to back with loot box mechanics does leave an ugly taste in one's mouth.

oti

Banned
So paying real money to eventually get the loot you want depending on RNG is better than paying in game currency for a chance at the same?
Wait, I thought you were talking about hard currency loot boxes. My bad. 😆

You're right, not paying is always better than paying. But I really can't believe one can't buy them with a hard currency. Maybe it's like Forza 6 when they introduced a hard currency post-launch.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Well, can't say I'm surprised. Not that I would want to buy yet another AC game again (that's no doubt once again boring, bland, repetitive, fetch-quest filled, clunky, buggy, dull, uninspired, and lacking in innovation and gameplay mechanics that actually work or are fun). This just makes me feel even better about passing on this game. What a shame about what happened to this franchise.
One of my favorite things about misleading threads is all the hot take posts from people who had no interest in the game in the first place and subsequently don't bother reading the thread itself.

Oh no, you've been more than civil and helpful. That was more clarification to the thread at large.

The timing of Forza 7, Shadow of War, and Battlefront 2 all back to back with loot box mechanics does leave an ugly taste in one's mouth.
Like I said before, the use of the word "loot box" in the title is misleading. As this is basically a common game mechanic where specific merchants give out mystery boxes.

Theorry

Love these hot take posts always in these kind of threads.

Auctopus

Lol at the fickleness of people between this thread and the last.

No idea why people are shocked, the series has had this sort of thing for a while now. Never affected the game.

Lol

Joco

I'd be curious to know if Horizon: Zero Dawn was going to have the option to purchase loot boxes with real currency because the system they have in place feels like it was designed completely for that. Makes me think they maybe scrapped those plans but kept the system in place (without the option to spend real money).

Wait, I thought you were talking about hard currency loot boxes. My bad. 😆

You're right, not paying is always better than paying. But I really can't believe one can't buy them with a hard currency. Maybe it's like Forza 6 when they introduced a hard currency post-launch.

Oh yeah, that changes the situation entirely.

watdaeff4

Your post has convinced me to pre-order the digital Gold Edition of the game

oti

Banned
I'd be curious to know if Horizon: Zero Dawn was going to have the option to purchase loot boxes with real currency because the system they have in place feels like it was designed completely for that. Makes me think they maybe scrapped those plans but kept the system in place (without the option to spend real money).
Maybe they're trying to get people to get used to them for the inevitable sequel with purchaseable loot boxes.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That makes no sense as this is basically a feature common in the RPG genre, for years. Both Horizon and AC:O are RPGs, having mystery boxes that you can buy/trade from merchants is par for the course.

EDIT:Remember how I said this:

And now there's the added benefit (since this actually just recently happened with Shadow of War apparently having a 40-50 hour end game grind that no one is able to cite the source of), that said misinformation will be passed around by people. :|

Called it.

Nick_C

Another perspective: I think they're both trashy ways of doing what is effectively the same trashier thing.

There is no cap to loot boxes, meaning one could, theoretically, pay hundreds of dollars for the one item they were looking for. The item being something that would typically cost less than a fiver in a game that didn't implement the same wheel-spinning mechanic.

On the Amiibo side of the coin, it's content that is locked behind a limited run paywall most of the time. Sometimes the rewards are negligible, like 5 rupees in Hyrule Warriors, other times the rewards are more substantial, like extra outfits and doggo Link in BotW. I'm fairly confident that many would prefer the more substantial content be available for all to purchase through a traditional DLC model with Amiibo owners getting access to it just as they currently do. You can go into nearly any Amiibo thread and see that there are many people that are firmly against the way that Nintendo handles their "add-on" content.

To anyone saying Nintendo gets a free pass because they can do no wrong, that's bullshit.

Rosur2a

Hopefully only loot stuff like Horizon, waiting till the X version anyway so will at least know before I buy how bad it is.

WriterV

Neo Member
For me personally... as long as it's not purchasable with real world currency, I'm fine with it. AC games usually let you rake up the cash in time anyways, so we should be golden.

It is always good to keep an eye on videos before buying it though. Will wait a little bit after release to buy.

Audioboxer

Oh, Ubisoft. Remember to have 10+ special editions as well. Also a season pass.

They've pulled scummy moves on AC before with chest unlocking. Anyone saying 100% no paid for space bux just has to look at how Forza is doing it. Disable paid for currency until reviews are done, turn it on shortly after.

Yet another series for cheap 2nd hand purchase.

Amiibos are a bit shitty with locked content. At least you're getting a fairly well made physical figurine for display if you're into that. I bought some to display.

Also if you have friends with amiibos you can borrow them and scan your games for content. Then finally you can sell them and make your money back, if not a portion of your money.

Not quite the same, but yes, still shitty when Nintendo locks meaningful content behind them.

Eumi

So do we know if these are purchasable with real money yet? Because if we don’t this is straight up misinformation.

Do we call random monster drops lootboxes now? Or how about using something like honey in a Pokemon game to attract a random Pokemon, is that a lootbox?

dex3108

So do we know if these are purchasable with real money yet? Because if we don’t this is straight up misinformation.

Do we call random monster drops lootboxes now? Or how about using something like honey in a Pokemon game to attract a random Pokemon, is that a lootbox?

So far Assassin's Creed games never had main in-game currency purchasable with real money and from video that showed Heka Chest we could see that is only purchasable with main in-game currency.

Nick_C

Oh, Ubisoft. Remember to have 10+ special editions as well. Also a season pass.

They've pulled scummy moves on AC before with chest unlocking. Anyone saying 100% no paid for space bux just has to look at how Forza is doing it. Disable paid for currency until reviews are done, turn it on shortly after.

Yet another series for cheap 2nd hand purchase.

Amiibos are a bit shitty with locked content. At least you're getting a fairly well made physical figurine for display if you're into that. I bought some to display.

Also if you have friends with amiibos you can borrow them and scan your games for content. Then finally you can sell them and make your money back, if not a portion of your money.

Not quite the same, but yes, still shitty when Nintendo locks meaningful content behind them.

Historically speaking, Ubi doesn't give a shit about public perception of microtransactions in their AC games. The options for them are usually in the menu, plain as day, waiting for launch day to go live.

Turn 10/MS, on the other hand, are starting to build a track record of doing this.

Verecocha

Neo Member
So do we need post for every game that has a loot box in some form or another now? Can't there just be one General Loot Box thread for everyone that cares?

Audioboxer

Historically speaking, Ubi doesn't give a shit about public perception of microtransactions in their AC games. The options for them are usually in the menu, plain as day, waiting for launch day to go live.

Turn 10/MS, on the other hand, are starting to build a track record of doing this.

We're entering an era where some reviewers are starting to bite back a little, if not at least reflect monetization in their reviews. I'm not just talking TheSixthAxis 3/10 for NBA 2K18. Publishers will adapt if reviewers start docking their games and hurting their precious metacritic score. Expect more to go down the route of turning on paid for currency a month or so after launch. It might hurt their profit a little bit, but a month after launch isn't too much of a loss. Especially if DLC is planned to get players coming back.

Majin Boo

Well I generally hate RNG, so I don't like this at all, and this is the first AC game that seems to have loot in the form of a large variety of weapons and equipment with various stats. It remains to be seen whether having proper gear actually matters in the game to know whether the lootboxes affect gameplay.

Nick_C

We're entering an era where some reviewers are starting to bite back a little, if not at least reflect monetization in their reviews. I'm not just talking TheSixthAxis 3/10 for NBA 2K18. Publishers will adapt if reviewers start docking their games and hurting their precious metacritic score. Expect more to go down the route of turning on paid for currency a month or so after launch. It might hurt their profit a little bit, but a month after launch isn't too much of a loss. Especially if DLC is planned to get players coming back.

That may very well prove to be true, but oftentimes these types of mtx are tempting becasue they are a fast track to more powerful or sometimes end game loot. After a month in the wild most of their potential customers may no longer need that extra boost these things offer.

EDIT: Also, people really need to read the OP.

Top Bottom