• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want to be angry about AC: Origins loot boxes before knowing if they're bad

Audioboxer

That may very well prove to be true, but oftentimes these types of mtx are tempting becasue they are a fast track to more powerful or sometimes end game loot. After a month in the wild most of their potential customers may no longer need that extra boost these things offer.

Depends what the RNG is like lol. I bet some people are still struggling in Forza with some stubborn legendary cars or cosmetics that just won't drop, even after a month.

It's not like it only took a month in Overwatch to unlock all the coolest skins. I'm sure most players are still missing quite a few skins even now.

As these drop rates are hidden and server side, devs/pubs can tweak them on the fly to lower payouts if they feel "too many" people are getting success quickly.

Frostman

I’m guessing this thread will continue to go on, with people coming in and posting without realising how misleading the title is?

So we're going to get a thread about "omg loot boxes" for every game that have them? Even if they involve no real money exchange? Even if they don't mean anything from a competitive standpoint? Even worse, we're going to jump the gun without knowing any details at first just to be quick to get outraged? Clearly that never ever backfired. Some people's obsession in wanting to discredit games they never even considered buying is outstanding.

dex3108

Ancient Egyptian loot crates? It's the 19th Century all over again! Let's get em lads.

If we are going to do this then watch the video they actually managed to implement it in a way that makes sense. Kid merchant who is roaming around the world and collecting lost artifacts/weapons that then sells in a chest without telling customer what it is in the chest.

Audioboxer

If we are going to do this then watch the video they actually managed to implement it in a way that makes sense. Kid merchant who is roaming around the world and collecting lost artifacts/weapons that then sells in a chest without telling customer what it is in the chest.

Coming in the years to come, loot boxes with a back story. Loot boxes that can talk. Loot boxes with emotions (David Cage loot box experience).

In 10 years we'll be reminiscing about a time where most run of the mill gaming goods used to be bought from in game merchants and stores for gil/gold/etc. You choose what you wanted if you had the currency, no paying for a random chance. Only a very small portion of the highest end stuff was maybe boss drops or crafted.

Now everything is a loot box with a story where you need to spin the wheel. White and green loot stuffs these boxes to make sure purple and orange are super rare. Gone are the days of killing end game bosses for your chance at high end loot. Now it's watch some form of a chest open on your screen with confetti and psychologically manipulative large text on screen to congratulate you and tell you well done for opening a box. Positive reinforcement. You can do it.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I have faith that they handle it just like previous AC microtransaction. Because the way they handle it is harmless and nothing effect game balance and not make thing more grind than it should be.

For now. But puplishers always push the limit with what they can get away with.

Not just Ubisoft but if they start to adapt this as a standard in every game then it's not long before they screw it up completely.

Coming in the years to come, loot boxes with a back story. Loot boxes that can talk. Loot boxes with emotions (David Cage loot box experience).

In 10 years we'll be reminiscing about a time where most run of the mill gaming goods used to be bought from in game merchants and stores for gil/gold/etc. You choose what you wanted if you had the currency, no paying for a random chance. Only a very small portion of the highest end stuff was maybe boss drops or crafted.

Now everything is a loot box with a story where you need to spin the wheel. White and green loot stuffs these boxes to make sure purple and orange are super rare. Gone are the days of killing end game bosses for your chance at high end loot. Now it's watch some form of a chest open on your screen with confetti and psychologically manipulative large text on screen to congratulate you and tell you well done for opening a box. Positive reinforcement. You can do it.

I mean, some degree of caution is healthy and skepticism is warranted, but this amount of snidery when we're not even sure how this would be implemented in the game is rather obnoxious.

SilentRob

I mean, I played the game for 3 hours and the whole game is full of "Loot Boxes" you can find in the open world. This is one you can buy with in-game money and very likely also with real world money come release. I wouldn't be surprised but I also don't see how it matters much. I found 3 legendary and 1 exotic (using the destiny terminology) weapon just by running around in those 3 hours.

Bishop89

What's in it though.....

It could be anything!
tumblr_m21dug7AUX1r3ifxzo2_500.gif

sublimit

Banned
Like i said in the other thread i believe at first they will keep loot boxes to be obtainable with in-game currency in order to not risk bad review scores and piss the community, then add the option for real money later.

And i doubt the game's economy will be balanced.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Fuck this game and people responsible for this shit as well. I've ZERO interest in single player games with lootboxes.

Theorry

Damn the word "lootbox" really triggers people. The whole game is RNG. You open up a closet and maybe a sword falls out, you kill a enemy and maybe he drops armor or other loot. You open up a chest you get with ingame money you saved up and you guarantee get something. Or you dont do that and open up a other closet.

Hacked it is.... They really deserve no money.

You are in no way entitled to pirate a game because it uses lootboxes or for any other reasons. Like, it's illegal, son.

Damn the word "lootbox" really triggers people. The whole game is RNG. You open up a closet and maybe a sword falls out, you kill a enemy and maybe he drops armor or other loot. You open up a chest you get with ingame money you saved up and you guarantee get something. Or you dont do that and open up a other closet.

Thank you for explaining us loot boxes, we honestly didn't know, how these were working and that there is a chance to not win anything!
No offense man, but that's a big reason why people are really bothered with this.

So we're going to get a thread about "omg loot boxes" for every game that have them? Even if they involve no real money exchange? Even if they don't mean anything from a competitive standpoint? Even worse, we're going to jump the gun without knowing any details at first just to be quick to get outraged? Clearly that never ever backfired. Some people's obsession in wanting to discredit games they never even considered buying is outstanding.

The games we were talking about the last few days (Forza 7, Shadow of War, and Battlefront 2) all have loot boxes with real money exchanges in them. We didnt find out the severity of these microtransactions until very late in development. Forza 7 is actually holding them until after reviews have come out then putting them in. AC games have had them in the past.

It's absolutely natural for people to be concerned, especially since Ubisoft hasnt done anything to earn the benefit of the doubt.

I think people are just worried about microtransactions being involved. Not random rewards themselves.

watdaeff4

Thank you explaining us loot boxes, we honestly didn't know, how these were working and that there is a chance to not win anything!
No offense man, but that's a big reason why people are really bothered with this.
I think Theorry is making this analogy as that this particular game that this thread was created for, the loot box system does not cost real money. Therefore is no different than his scenarios.

No offense man, but the lack of needing to spend real money for the loot boxes in this game is a big reason why people are not really bothered with this

Theorry

You are in no way entitled to pirate a game because it uses lootboxes or for any other reasons. Like, it's illegal, son.

Thank you for explaining us loot boxes, we honestly didn't know, how these were working and that there is a chance to not win anything!

Not to win anything? The chest gives you stuff all the time?

I think people are just worried about microtransactions being involved. Not random rewards themselves.

Really. Reading this thread you almost think the chest can only be bought with real money and the whole game is gated towards it.

I think Theorry is making this analogy as that this particular game that this thread was created for, the loot box system does not cost real money. Therefore is no different than his scenarios.

No offense man, but the lack of needing to spend real money for the loot boxes in this game is a big reason why people are not really bothered with this

Yes thank you. If the thread was called "AC Origins has a roaming vendor with sells chests that gives weapons and armor for ingame money" we wouldnt got past the first page,

And you somehow think you will not be able to buy the ingame currency with real money at launch?

I only see one currency credit so far so that sorta points to it not happening, but yeah, something to watch and I wouldn't be hugely surprised if they are snuck in. We need some clarity from Ubisoft here

Then let's have this thread if it is then?

Forza 7 didnt tell us the whole story until after people had bought the game and reviews had come out.

Ubisoft also had this statement
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/57605/ubisofts-games-live-services/index.html

"Ubisoft's future games will have live services that fit the game, ie varied strategies like seasons, expansions and in-game purchases " Microtransactions are part of Ubisofts mission statement, its not a stretch to assume that a game with loot boxes will have microtransactions in them.

watdaeff4

Forza 7 didnt tell us the whole story until after people had bought the game and reviews had come out.

Ubisoft also had this statement
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/57605/ubisofts-games-live-services/index.html

"Ubisoft's future games will have live services that fit the game, ie varied strategies like seasons, expansions and in-game purchases " Microtransactions are part of Ubisofts mission statement, its not a stretch to assume that a game with loot boxes will have microtransactions in them.

you can assume if you want, go ahead.

Audioboxer

I mean, some degree of caution is healthy and skepticism is warranted, but this amount of snidery when we're not even sure how this would be implemented in the game is rather obnoxious.

Satire like that should not bother anyone. The whole point to be as outrageous as possible is because this industry sometimes does outrageous things. As a gamer, you need to ask yourself what bothers you more, silly satire, or exerting pressure on the CEOs and suits who aren't your friends and gauge the industries every public response/move to see what they can get away with?

I think the pasts week(s) on GAF have been quite telling to the levels people will go to defend some industry practices. Opinions are subjective, but there are quite a few posters even unhappy loot boxes have their own dedicated topics. Most of us are not bombing official game topics, we're discussing loot boxes in their own topics and even that is rustling jimmies.

Ubisoft aren't immune to obsessive monetization, so let this topic be some feedback for them that if they pursue Forza/NBA/Shadow of War implementations, people will let their voices be heard.

Hasn’t made a damn bit of difference in any AC game and this is single player only again....

It made a difference when you want to get collectibles. In one game you needed Helix credits to buy collectible maps but you never got enough by just playing normally to get all the maps, so you had to either buy those credits, use a cheat to get them or use external maps/guides.

Ydelnae

Pokémon Red & Green also had loot boxes way back in 1996. You could buy Pokémon with in-game currency and the content of those Pokémon (EVs, moves, etc) would be randomized. Opening a thread right now to let other people now.

Rhythm and Groove? I need to look this up.

Got to admit, I've not played any games with loot boxes. My first exposure is the Forza 7 debacle and now AC Origins. Doesn't sound bad in AC but it does make one want to run for the hills when you hear it.

Satire like that should not bother anyone. The whole point to be as outrageous as possible is because this industry sometimes does outrageous things. As a gamer, you need to ask yourself what bothers you more, silly satire, or exerting pressure on the CEOs and suits who aren't your friends and gauge the industries every public response/move to see what they can get away with?

I think the pasts week(s) on GAF have been quite telling to the levels people will go to defend some industry practices. Opinions are subjective, but there are quite a few posters even unhappy loot boxes have their own dedicated topics. Most of us are not bombing official game topics, we're discussing loot boxes in their own topics and even that is rustling jimmies.

Ubisoft aren't immune to obsessive monetization, so let this topic be some feedback for them that if they pursue Forza/NBA/Shadow of War implementations, people will let their voices be heard.

I don't disagree with you on principle. I just think that the intensity of your satire is unearned, especially when it's set of by a simple response to an immersion complaints.

I can both dislike RNG-slash-microtransaction practices and find that you haven't gotten the balance and timing of your comedy quite right.

Audioboxer

I don't disagree with you on principle. I just think that the intensity of your satire is unearned, especially when it's set of by a simple response to an immersion complaints.

I can both dislike RNG-slash-microtransaction practices and find that you haven't gotten the balance and timing of your comedy quite right.

Helix Credits were a thing.

gNCiad8.png

QRIGhpq.png

$99.99... We did it first NBA 2K18!

As is

bkjEc78.png

And

hHGMhUF.png

And

xCtgaoH.png

So I think Ubisoft can take some pre-emptive satire/flak.

Markoman

This was the first AC that got me excited since Black Flag.
After watching some gameplay videos I feel the game isn't balanced well.
People saying loot boxes don't matter because you can ignore them don't get it:
yes, if done right loot boxes won't affect the game's underlying systems but that's not the reality as we have seen with Mordor.
The thing about ACO is that even friggin stealth is tied to the RPG system which is dumb as hell. Enemy is a level too high -> you can't insta kill him with stealth -> affects your approach

Helix Credits were a thing.

gNCiad8.png

QRIGhpq.png

$99.99... We did it first NBA 2K18!

So I think Ubisoft can take some pre-emptive satire/flak.

Aa alright. I never played Unity so I have no idea the extend of that game's micortransaction. Perhaps they do deserve tome flak there.

However, please explain why those multiple edition is a bad thing? For example:

What's the problem there? Is it that no edition have all the things? Is it that egregious that an edition with the 73cm figurine doesn't also have the 37cm figurine? Do you even want three statues of the same guy?

Top Bottom