• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want to be angry about AC: Origins loot boxes before knowing if they're bad

watdaeff4

Aa alright. I never played Unity so I have no idea the extend of that game's micortransaction. Perhaps they do deserve tome flak there.

However, please explain why those multiple edition is a bad thing? For example:

What's the problem there? Is it that no edition have all the things? Is it that egregious that an edition with the 73cm figurine doesn't also have the 37cm figurine? Do
I have played Unity and I can't remember what the MTs were for as thy were trivial.

And yeah the multiple editions thing is not a good correlation

Audioboxer

Aa alright. I never played Unity so I have no idea the extend of that game's micortransaction. Perhaps they do deserve tome flak there.

However, please explain why those multiple edition is a bad thing? For example:

What's the problem there? Is it that no edition have all the things? Is it that egregious that an edition with the 73cm figurine doesn't also have the 37cm figurine? Do you even want three statues of the same guy?

With the special editions, it's just the lengths Ubisoft goes to, to try and make soo many editions people end up confused as what to buy. When you need a chart to try and figure out what to buy it's a bit comical. It also aids against the argument some roll out of "$60 games are making rich publishers bankrupt! think of their bank balances! games need to cost $80~100 or the industry will fall!". Ubisoft has many options well over $60, and they don't even all include the season pass. Then even if you buy the top collectors editions, you still have helix MTs and loot boxes in your game. Even if you give Ubisoft more money upfront, they'll still slap monetization in your face in-game.

It's also the amount of exclusive SP content/cosmetics Ubisoft ties to separate multiple editions/pre-order bonuses, so you can never really buy the whole game, unless you buy multiple editions.

watdaeff4

I think it would be best to stick with histories of micro transactions and usage of loot boxes and away from the multiple edition in order to prove or disapprove of theories regarding the topic at hand

To be frank by doing so it just looks like you have an axe to grind

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I am not sure how this game will play, but the traditional free loot crates and collectibles in AC games were something I would ignore unless I was right on top of it. There was always way too much stuff to do during a 30 hour campaign that it made sense to ignore these extras.

With the special editions, it's just the lengths Ubisoft goes to, to try and make soo many editions people end up confused as what to buy. When you need a chart to try and figure out what to buy it's a bit comical. It also aids against the argument some roll out of "$60 games are making rich publishers bankrupt! think of their bank balances! games need to cost $80~100 or the industry will fall!". Ubisoft has many options well over $60, and they don't even all include the season pass. Then even if you buy the top collectors editions, you still have helix MTs and loot boxes in your game. Even if you give Ubisoft more money upfront, they'll still slap monetization in your face in-game.

It's also the amount of exclusive SP content/cosmetics Ubisoft ties to separate multiple editions/pre-order bonuses, so you can never really buy the whole game, unless you buy multiple editions.

This is actually not true, at least for Assassin's Creed through Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. In every one, I just bought the Deluxe Edition and the Season Pass, and I got everything. I mean, just look again at that Origins chart. You just need the Gold Edition and that's that.

And those bonus stuff for the over-$60 editions are actually expensive, you know? A non-limited 73 cm resin statue could easily reach $100. It's either you care about those stuff - in which case it'd sound like a good deal - or you don't - in which case it's not for you to buy.

Audioboxer

This is actually not true, at least for Assassin's Creed through Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. In every one, I just bought the Deluxe Edition and the Season Pass, and I got everything. I mean, just look again at that Origins chart. You just need the Gold Edition and that's that.

And those bonus stuff for the over-$60 editions are actually expensive, you know? A non-limited 73 cm resin statue could easily reach $100. It's either you care about those stuff - in which case it'd sound like a good deal - or you don't - in which case it's not for you to buy.

My main point

It also aids against the argument some roll out of "$60 games are making rich publishers bankrupt! think of their bank balances! games need to cost $80~100 or the industry will fall!". Ubisoft has many options well over $60.

There are multiple posters who use the games can't be sustainable in this industry at $60 argument. Most games have multiple options over $60 to raise more money, Ubisoft is just one of the publishers who tend to do the most special editions. Others you're lucky if it's 1 special edition, or the special edition is simply a steelbook. Season passes add to that as well.

I'd take 40 special editions over the actual game having "microtransactions" at $99 and currency to buy loot boxes. The issue with Ubisoft is they do it all, at once, in a minimum $60 product. Which is almost a yearly franchise at times.

d9b

Banned
kzN5.jpg

If this is just an RNG chest bought with in game currency, it's not a problem. Randomized loot has been around forever.

If it's bought with real money, I'm out. Not gonna buy the game.

Alastor3

im mad about WB loot boxes because it seems like a huge grindfest if you don't want to pay real money, but those loot boxes in AC look relatively easy to get the currency, tho i might speak too soon maybe

MUnited83

For you.

Care to try to show that in Origins? Because that doesn't seem to be the case at all unless you literally can't read the chart you posted.

Audioboxer

Care to try to show that in Origins? Because that doesn't seem to be the case at all unless you literally can't read the chart you posted.

It was more apparent pre-origins. They've been big on retailer pre-order exclusives and signing timed exclusive content to MS/Sony. Literally, can't read? I'd be struggling on a forum!

ElfArmy177

Good, I enjoy loot boxes like destiny, guild wars, fortnite, and any other game. I don't have as much time as others so I love the idea of spending money (real or not) to catch up. Don't really care if people don't like it, I welcome it with open arms so I can at least stay competetive or not feel like I'm wearing rags. I'm also the guy who buys short cut packs in battlefield. Love it. Sorry guys, I'm part of the problem and Ill continue to be :)

Edit: some people buy Kraft Mac and cheese. Some buy store brand for 80 cents. Some make theirs from scratch and "grind" to get their Mac and cheese. Let people spend their god damn money ( real or not) the way they want and stop bitching about one game.. that's just following the lead of 90% of the market

Good, I enjoy loot boxes like destiny, guild wars, fortnite, and any other game. I don't have as much time as others so I love the idea of spending money (real or not) to catch up. Don't really care if people don't like it, I welcome it with open arms so I can at least stay competetive or not feel like I'm wearing rags. I'm also the guy who buys short cut packs in battlefield. Love it. Sorry guys, I'm part of the problem and Ill continue to be :)

Edit: some people buy Kraft Mac and cheese. Some buy store brand for 80 cents. Some make theirs from scratch and "grind" to get their Mac and cheese. Let people spend their god damn money the way they want and stop bitching about one game.. that's just following the lead of 90% of the market

So who are you trying to catch up with in single players games like AC: Origins or Shadows of War?

Honest question, I don't get the point of paying to... not play the game?

ElfArmy177

So who are you trying to catch up with in single players games like AC: Origins or Shadows of War?

Honest question, I don't get the point of paying to... not play the game?

Let's say I work 6 days a week and have kids, just for the hell of it (I do). And I get an hour tops to play a game maybe let's say only a few days a week. If ANYTHING is going to help me get through it faster and see the story or help a difficult boss that I don't have time to try and try and try over and over... Then he'll yea I want those loot boxes and I'll pay with real or fake money any day of the week. I still enjoy most of the game, maybe it's a little easier but I just don't have time. Love dark souls... Can't play it, I'll never finish it

Edit: this is coming from the guy who would grind an area for over 8 hours straight JUST to get a rare drop in Kings field as a kid - which is 10 fold harder than dark souls btw.

Let's say I work 6 days a week and have kids, just for the hell of it (I do). And I get an hour tops to play a game maybe let's say only a few days a week. If ANYTHING is going to help me get through it faster and see the story or help a difficult boss that I don't have time to try and try and try over and over... Then he'll yea I want those loot boxes and I'll pay with real or fake money any day of the week. I still enjoy most of the game, maybe it's a little easier but I just don't have time. Love dark souls... Can't play it, I'll never finish it

Okay, that's fair - you'd pay to save time. But now they're making you pay for a chance to save time, since the return on your money is still tied to a roll of the dice. Wouldn't you rather just buy the unlock or progession directly instead of hoping the RNG gods favor you?

And since you appear to be an older gamer, wouldn't a cheat code or difficulty toggle work just as well here? It wasn't too long ago that games came with those as par for the course.

RPGCrazied

Doesn't bother me. Just wont buy them if they cost real money. Now if its just gold like the image implies then its fine.

I'm more worried about PS4 performance seeing as how we haven't seen a video yet of how it runs.

ElfArmy177

Okay, that's fair - you'd pay to save time. But now they're making you pay for a chance to save time, since the return on your money is still tied a roll of the dice. Wouldn't you rather just buy the unlock or profession directly instead of hoping the RNG gods favor you?

And since you appear to be an older gamer, wouldn't a cheat code or difficulty toggle work just as well here? It wasn't too long ago that games came with those as par for the course.

I agree with your points about it being a roll of the dice. Which sucks but I understand the idea. But it's also the excitement of it I suppose. It's like a raid in world of Warcraft. I could spend HOURS in a raid.. and get absolutely nothing every time I roll that dice. At least with loot boxes I get something, maybe not as good as it could be but it will still help. Maybe it's just a color dye that is black that's rare. Now at least my guy looks like a badass instead of a doofus wearing 8 different colors.

I don't think a difficulty toggle or a cheat code would work. I remember GameShark and I'd instantly stop playing. The feeling of invincibility isn't something I want. It's more a head start or little help that appeals to me.

Mifec

Doesn't bother me. Just wont buy them if they cost real money. Now if its just gold like the image implies then its fine.

I'm more worried about PS4 performance seeing as how we haven't seen a video yet of how it runs.

You won't see one until release since MS got the marketing deal.

timberger

If it uses real money to buy in-game currency, then that would fit perfectly with Ubisoft's current MO and past behaviour. The Helix credit shit in AC Unity was utter trash, but that game had so many other problems that those felt like a drop in the ocean at the time.

Yam's

You know what's better than gamer outrage? Gamer preoutrage. Get your outrage going BEFORE you get bad news.

Yep.

Same thing happened right before Destiny 2 was released when people thought Bright engrams would give you a competitive edge and were only real money currencies.

As of now there's no reason to be angry at Ubisoft and I doubt people claiming they ain't gonna buy the game anymore were going to anyway.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yes, that is right. Compare criticism of monetization in $60+ products to hate and bullying.
I mean this is literally a thread filled with people saying they aren't buying the game now because of a common RPG mechanic based off the OP completely jumping the gun, and even after a day hasn't been edited in anyway shape or form to NOT have a completely misleading title or even an edited OP that reflects that it's pure speculation. This isn't criticism of monetization of a $60 because this specific mechanic has nothing to do with that in the same way that "Horizon's mystery box merchant" has nothing to do with it.

You know what's better than gamer outrage? Gamer preoutrage. Get your outrage going BEFORE you get bad news.

Blame Ubisoft's PR department, if the game doesn't have microtransactions (which the series has had before) they should have announced it a long time ago to kill speculation like this.

Microtransactions are a pillar of Ubisofts business model, its not a stretch to think that it will be in their biggest franchise.

Who cares. Wait until its a paywall then complain.

None of these games are paywall chests.

Forza 7 waited until the game and reviews were out before they put them in.

Audioboxer

I mean this is literally a thread filled with people saying they aren't buying the game now because of a common RPG mechanic based off the OP completely jumping the gun, and even after a day hasn't been edited in anyway shape or form to NOT have a completely misleading title or even an edited OP that reflects that it's pure speculation.

That is not hating, bullying or anything toxic. It's discussions on the industry practices around monetization and how that can take the form of loot boxes. Unlike Horizon, the topic someone ran to make as a spin-off to this, Ubisoft has a track record of asking for real money for virtual currency.

Do you actually have a connection with Ubisoft or is your tag just a joke?

Blame Ubisoft's PR department, if the game doesn't have microtransactions (which the series has had before) they should have announced it a long time ago to kill speculation like this.

Microtransactions are a pillar of Ubisofts business model, its not a stretch to think that it will be in their biggest franchise.

Ubisoft has done that too (but slight correction Forza 7s aren't in yet, they've still to come).

Consider the case of the wonderful Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, which sells as a full game for $60, but also comes with the option to buy a $30 season pass to further the story and which includes items that can only be used for one playthrough. And if that's not enough, the game itself has microtransactions (which weren't fully patched in when Emanuel and I reviewed it) that let you buy in-game credits for as much as $10. And this when credits are almost as abundant as rain in Ireland.

Ubisoft itself is embracing that model. Its Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege sells for $50, but it also comes with a $30 season pass that grants limited exclusive access to some elements and comes with bonuses and weapon skins. The core game also includes microtransactions for weapon skins.

And unlike the free-to-play model, this model allows Ubisoft to have the best of both worlds. It gets the $60 base price tag and that known influx of cash lets them make a quality game, as well as some microtransactions thrown in for an extra, optional boost in revenue. Even better (from its point of view), the latter elements allow it to bring in cash even when after the base price eventually goes down.

It's not the prettiest solution, and perhaps it'll be replaced with something more agreeable in the future. But for now, it seems like a far safer alternative to free-to-play.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ezp5za/ubisoft-cancels-four-free-to-play-games

Crossing Eden

That is not hating, bullying or anything toxic. It's discussions on the industry practices around monetization and how that can take the form of loot boxes. Unlike Horizon, the topic someone ran to make as a spin-off to this, Ubisoft has a track record of asking for real money for virtual currency.
Yea no that's BS. It's using the current hot topic as a springboard based off a misleading title and OP. It has nothing to do with critiquing the practice of loot boxes in the industry as a whole, literally nothing in the OP reflects what you're saying. Hell there's even two different threads dedicated to that discussion much more so than this thread's premise and OP.

I'd much rather them constantly talk about things much more relevant to the game itself considering how negligible MTs have been in their games and how much they've overhauled Origins.

Yes, that is right. Compare criticism of monetization in $60+ products to hate and bullying. Better tell Jim Sterling to stop making toxic Jimquisition videos.

If you think hate and bullying are the only reasons the gaming community fucking sucks sometimes then I have a beach house to sell you in Idaho.

Audioboxer

If you think hate and bullying are the only reasons the gaming community fucking sucks sometimes then I have a beach house to sell you in Idaho.

Where did I say only? Do you think criticism of monetization is unfair to developers/publishers or something? Crossing Eden made it out "outrage culture" around monetization is "toxic" to developers/publishers and this is why they think so of the gaming community.

Yea no that's BS. It's using the current hot topic as a springboard based off a misleading title and OP. It has nothing to do with critiquing the practice of loot boxes in the industry as a whole, literally nothing in the OP reflects what you're saying. Hell there's even two different threads dedicated to that discussion much more so than this thread's premise and OP.

And if there is "microtransactions" in Origins?

It is nice to know if you're engaged in a topic about a company with an employee or just a fellow gamer with a different opinion, so I will ask again, is your tag a joke or somewhat relevant to link you to Ubisoft?

Where did I say only? Do you think criticism of monetization is unfair to developers/publishers or something?

It is nice to know if you're engaged in a topic about a company with an employee or just a fellow gamer with a different opinion, so I will ask again, is your tag a joke or somewhat relevant to link you to Ubisoft?

No I think that criticism is totally fine. My problem is twofold.

1. "The game has ANY sort of micro transactions?! FUCK THIS GAME IM NOT BUYING IT."

2. Complaining about a game or a publisher doing something before it's even happened.

MUnited83

For you.

Do you actually have a connection with Ubisoft or is your tag just a joke?

Ubisoft has done that too (but slight correction Forza 7s aren't in yet, they've still to come).

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ezp5za/ubisoft-cancels-four-free-to-play-games

Sony also has a track record of lootboxes for money, currency for money, and all kinds of MTs in general. What is this "track record" you're talking about?

Audioboxer

No I think that criticism is totally fine. My problem is twofold.

1. "The game has ANY sort of micro transactions?! FUCK THIS GAME IM NOT BUYING IT."

2. Complaining about a game or a publisher doing something before it's even happened.

Well, number 1 should never be a "problem" for you. It's a difference of opinion. You don't have control over what other people set their boundaries to spend their own earned money on.

Number 2 is more up for debate, but only being reactionary in this industry isn't helpful. It's harder to get a developer/publisher to retroactively patch/change a game, than it is try and ward them off going ahead with the practice/PR nightmare in the first place.

Sony also has a track record of lootboxes for money, currency for money, and all kinds of MTs in general. What is this "track record" you're talking about?

I'm talking about Ubisoft's track record. You're correct, Sony does, but Guerilla is in charge of Horizon, primarily.

Crossing Eden

Then we can discuss those when they're revealed?
And then further discuss down the line how negligible they turned out to be in the grand scheme of the game's progression because this is literally what happens every time. And considering that the item that the player from the screenshot in the OP got actually ended up worse than what that player found just exploring, I think it's a safe bet to say that it'll be yet another situation where the bulk of the game's development was spent as normal and then at the very end they added time saving monetization in someway shape or form. Like they have for the past FIVE years.

It is nice to know if you're engaged in a topic about a company with an employee or just a fellow gamer with a different opinion
Do you think this person works for Bethesda based on their tag?

Well, number 1 should never be a "problem" for you. It's a difference of opinion. You don't have control over what other people set their boundaries to spend their own earned money on.

Number 2 is more up for debate, but only being reactionary in this industry isn't helpful. It's harder to get a developer/publisher to retroactively patch/change a game, than it is try and ward them off going ahead with the practice/PR nightmare in the first place.

I'm talking about Ubisoft's track record. You're correct, Sony does, but Guerilla is in charge of Horizon, primarily.

You can buy whatever you want I'm just saying it's not genuine criticism.

MUnited83

For you.

You're saying that Sony gives more free reign to Guerrila than they do Naughty Dog, which have had lootboxes, in-game currency, and weapons and skills better than the base ones locked behind DLC on their games?

Syrus

Banned

Not a paywall or f2p

Its fine

Audioboxer

Then we can discuss those when they're revealed?
And then further discuss down the line how negligible they turned out to be in the grand scheme of the game's progression because this is literally what happens every time.

Do you think this person works for Bethesda based on their tag?

If tags don't have a link, and someone doesn't know the backstory, it's not always possible to know anything. I was simply asking and I'll take your response as a no.

As for wanting people only to discuss MTs if and when they happen, see my point about only being reactionary in this industry.

You can buy whatever you want I'm just saying it's not genuine criticism.

Are you the arbitrator of "genuine" criticism? That's not how this works. No developer or publisher is simply owed money. People can and will make decisions before giving their money away, and sometimes feeling like the product they are buying is behaving like a F2P game in a $60+ product is a bullet point on an individuals blacklist.

You're saying that Sony gives more free reign to Guerrila than they do Naughty Dog, which have had lootboxes, in-game currency, and weapons and skills better than the base ones locked behind DLC on their games?

That's not what I said. ND's MP antics have long been shitty on the monetization front. Any more Sony games you want me to criticise? You'll soon find I have zero issues being critical of any game from any company I think is taking the piss with monetization. Horizon just wasn't one of those because it has no monetization in the form of MTs being tied to RNG boxes. Much like The Witcher 3, it has a standard season pass for SP DLC.

Top Bottom