• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I was in a cold sweat when I realised it, but Pilot Wings is the most underrated franchise of all time

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Just dusted off my Switch recently to play some N64 roms because I'm waiting on my SteamDeck,

I was a little feverish at the time (better now), flu season and all, but be assured my friends my senses were intact.

Anyway, I decided to have a round or two of Pilot Wings 64, and at first I found it a bit simple, but as I made it through the more demanding challenges I realised holy smokes, not only does this hold up, but it's got to be the most underrated franchise ever.

Nobody talks about it, but it's right there in front of us and it's peak Nintendo. When their games all used to be physics playgrounds like Pilot Wings and Wave Race 64, before all the crap like Odyssey when Nintendo made games for real gamers.

Trying to gold star everything has been a revelation to me, gaming in its purest form.

simpsons-hook-it-to-my-veins.gif

Shifty1897

I freaking love Pilotwings, both N64 and SNES. I would love a Switch sequel. It does seem weird the Nintendo has really abandoned all their extreme sports games like 1080, Wave Race, Excitebike, etc.

We'll agree to disagree on the quality of Mario Odyssey though, cause that game is also a masterpiece.

Last edited:
Loved the franchise since its SNES debut. Pilotwings Resort was a joy. I think my only qualm, if I'm remembering correctly, was the limited fly time even after unlocking everything. Really needed an unlimited mode, but it's been years, so I may not have my facts straight.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I forgot about the 3DS game, don't think I finished it. But it was very nice, excellent use of the 3D screen.

The SNES game is unbeatable, perfection. Even though it's just using Mode7 it feels and plays exactly as it should, I wouldn't change a thing about it.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Does this ever stop being the most chilled out blissfully relaxing and fun gaming experience ever?

Holy smokes, flying through that cavern in the mountain with the waterfalls, shooting up that mech at 60 fps

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I forgot about the 3DS game, don't think I finished it. But it was very nice, excellent use of the 3D screen.

The SNES game is unbeatable, perfection. Even though it's just using Mode7 it feels and plays exactly as it should, I wouldn't change a thing about it.
Really hope they port the 3DS version to Switch at some point.

They need to add 60 fps 3DS ports to Switch in higher resolution.

Do you realize you've shitposted in every single one of my threads Captain Toad Captain Toad ?

I admire your dedication you're like the stalker who shot John Lennon.
giphy.gif

Banned
Is this the first time Nintendo ever gave us anything but the bare minimum for a retro title?

Pilot Wings at 60 fps is blowing my mind.

Nintendo didn't "give you more", Nintendo has a very inaccurate N64 emulator, and said very inaccurate Emulator runs Pilot Wings highly inaccurately.

and this inaccuracy in this specific game has the accidental positive side effect of running the game way faster than og hardware.

so it's not like Nintendo worked hard to make this game run better, they plugged in the rom and saw "hey this runs really well" and shipped it.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Nintendo didn't "give you more", Nintendo has a very inaccurate N64 emulator, and said very inaccurate Emulator runs Pilot Wings highly inaccurately.

and this inaccuracy in this specific game has the accidental positive side effect of running the game way faster than og hardware.

so it's not like Nintendo worked hard to make this game run better, they plugged in the rom and saw "hey this runs really well" and shipped it.

Doesn't matter to me how I got that sweet 60 fps goodness

Good day and good night

oh_i_get_it_chris_farley.gif

Banned
Doesn't matter to me how I got that sweet 60 fps goodness

Good day and good night

oh_i_get_it_chris_farley.gif

yeah I mean... you could have gotten that years ago with a cheap emulation box or a phone in combination with Mupen64 or other emulators that run games faster than or hardware

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

IMG-20221020-230957.jpg

Top Bottom