• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I went back to Dragon Age: Inquisition after finishing FFXV and I have some Thoughts

Halabane

November 18, 2014 is when DAI came out. One year almost to the day of PS4 launch and you are comparing graphics and animation? That's fair.

Music was not very good in either. If FFXV music was so great why have a walkman that allows you play old music and skip the new music? Not finding that odd?

Let me save you time. Both are weak AAA RPGs. Neither will be remembered other than by those who it is there 'first time' (oh so cute) playing an RPG. Both are solid time wasters. Of course one of them had a ten year development...cancelation...development...make more changes...then ship it out with a movie and anime because we forgot the the story and character thing. The other I think you needed a book or a comic don't recall, though I liked the story and characters better.

Frankly neither are really worth your time if its limited. And we all hope something soon will arrive that will make us forget this. Specially 15.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
DAI has one of the most boring and monotonous combat systems of any RPG I have ever played. Even worse is the fact that they pretend it to be tactical by including a broken isometric view and saying here you go we heard your complaints.

FF15 has atleast a competent battle system. How someone can prefer DAI over it baffles me.

Competent is a reeeaaaaal kind word for FF15's battle system, but the teleporting at least makes it more kinetic and movement oriented than DA:I's. It's probably the only area other than graphical quality that FF15 beats DA:I, IMO.

Where have you been?

I'm new here :p.

Yup. I refuse to ever bring it up in any way here because it'll just shit up whatever thread it's in.

Good luck, op.
Oh yeah. Not often but being a fan of DAI can be quite hard on GAF considering it often gets shit on. But there are fans of it on here! I can assure you!
Aside from Dragon Age Origins and the Awakening expansion a majority of GAF users dislike the franchise.
Playing through Inquisition right now and I finished 2 with all of the DLCs, I don't understand the hate, although I could see why people don't like DA:I's combat.

I just checked the 2014 GAF GOTY thread and Inquisition is #4, and the highest rated of non-Nintendo/Wii U games. Maybe it's a vocal minority, or did GAF just changed its mind?

DAI was my goty in 2014, but yeah it gets a lot of hate due to a few not so smart choices:
Power mechanic
Collect a thon overload
Some inane side quests
Main vilain shits the bed halfway through and a bad end fight
Huge empty zones that should have been left out
Friggin Hinterlands that should make it clear you got to leave around lvl5 and come back later

Still one of my fav games this gen.

I mean most of this is valid criticism. I only disagree with the power mechanic thing, I liked how it encouraged (forced?) me to do side activities and give the world its chance, and I never ran out of power playing normally.

The characters were really great though. Loved all of the party, especially Serah, Cassandra, and Dorian. I also loved how the story felt like a prophet journey, with people believing you're the Herald of Andraste, even though you (probably?) aren't. Felt like a story that someone will exaggerate and build a religion on a few generations from it, and I found that interesting.

I also found combat to be better than what I typically expect from western RPG, I mean it's in no way Dragon Dogma or FFXV but it was fun, had fun hunting the ten elder dragons.

Game was great. Side content and world design needs some work, maybe have a more grey villain next time (
Solas can be one. They did some nice setup for him
), but that's about it.

Svejk

Playing DAI right now. Can't bring myself to play FFXV solely because of the sausage fest. I like a mixed cast.

Cartho

The funny thing is, Dragon Age 2 did characters, story and tactical control over combat MASSIVELY better than both.

While it had serious flaws, the AI tactic controls in DA2 were absolutely outstanding and you could create a very, very efficient, totally AI controlled party. A party who would react to specific status effects, enemy rank and positioning with specific actions and ability usage. It was genius.

Story wise it was hugely better than both too, telling a great "rags to riches" tale which had fantastic characters and some very well linked plot devices.

Come at me GAF :)

NewDust

I definitely had more fun playing DA:I (on highest difficulty setting), felt like I really did something, instead of just relying on higher damage weapons. Sidequest design and story easily trump FFXV.

ironcreed

Banned
Inquisition for me, hands down. I enjoyed the combat in FFXV, but I just could not get into the game itself no matter how hard I tried. I honestly think that I am just over this series and probably will never come back.

MartyStu

Hmmm, both games share some of the same infuriating weaknesses, but DAI has a lot more upsides I think, through the story and character writing.

That said, both games would be immensely better if you could shrink the overall landmasses by 33 - 50 percent.

Just curious. Did you play The Witcher 3?

I did, I just have shit taste. :p

Seriously though, Witcher 3 is great, top 5 RPGs this gen for sure. It's just that my favorite part about RPGs is traveling with a party and getting to know them and explore their characters over time. The Witcher 3 not having that is the reason I prefer some RPGs that had it over it, even if they were - obviously - more flawed, less competent games overall.

For combat, writing, and characters alone I don't see how anyone could prefer 15.

DAI gets WAY to much shit.

When you take a third of a dragon HP with a carefully built stealth crit Archer build opening attack, it's more satisfying than anything in witcher 3 or 15 combat wise.

For combat, writing, and characters alone I don't see how anyone could prefer 15.

DAI gets WAY to much shit.

When you take a third of a dragon HP with a carefully built stealth crit Archer build opening attack, it's more satisfying than anything in witcher 3 or 15 combat wise.

But you can take that same dragon solo by spamming square with a not very hard to make Knight Enchanter build. The DA:I combat was fun, but not really carefully designed nor balanced. I vastly prefer the combat in XV over it for the fun factor, since both lacks balance.

rgoulart

Aside from watch dogs, DAI was the most boring game I played this gen. I thanked the gods when the Witcher 3 was released for that game was everything I wanted DAI to be.

Maffis

DA:I was a crossgen game with one fourth of the development time FF15 had, and FF15 is still pretty mediocre.

Top Bottom