• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I wish Sony waited until 2022 to release the PS5 and it was more powerful

sublimit

Banned
And Sony now knows those games should have been crossgen and every third party now knows it too, so expect crossgen games until 2023.
Imagine how much better those games would have looked if they had waited until 2023-2024!!

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
And Sony now knows those games should have been crossgen and every third party now knows it too, so expect crossgen games until 2023.
So....what you're saying is Sony should have said to hell with trying to show whats capable early in the generation.

This may come as an absolute shock to some of you....but Sony has ....always .....had cross gen and next gen exclusives in the first 2 years. Every platform holder did.

Until now.

I just wanna ask: are there PS5 exclusives right now?

Exactly.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
You can wait all you want. In the meantime Sony is on pace to have their fastest selling console to date. My point is, you might have wanted them to wait but many of us were ready to move on. I have some how found a way to enjoy my PS5 even though those last gen plebes get to play new games too.

Ezquimacore

Banned
So....what you're saying is Sony should have said to hell with trying to show whats capable early in the generation.

This may come as an absolute shock to some of you....but Sony has ....always .....had cross gen and next gen exclusives. Every platform holder did.

Until now.
Now, Sony and MS should have wait instead of just having 3 exclusive games (MS 0) to sell you the thing and then say "nevermind, We need to sell this games,0 exclusives until 2023" Those 3 ps5 games could scale perfectly to ps4, and they know it but it was too late.

I was just thinking with the cross gen announcements and Unreal 5 still not being fully ready. What if Sony waited until fall 2022 to release PS5 with Demons Souls, Ratchet and Returnal as day 1 launch games, and God of War Ragnarok, Gran Turismo 7, Spiderman all getting free next gen upgrades.

How powerful would their hardware have been. Would we have gotten a more powerful GPU with better RT capabilities, DLSS, more mature tools such as Unreal 5. I feel like Sony and Microsoft should have just waited as the Pro and One X were still putting out decent games. Miles Morales still looks great on the Pro, and now that we know Pro will be able to run the next Gran Turismo and God of War I feel I would have preferred if they waited to release a next gen system.

If you want more power buy a 3090.

xrnzaaas

Nope.

- PS4 desperately needed a more powerful replacement and I can verify that after playing Cyberpunk, AC Valhalla and Control on PS4.
- The prices for everything are spiking. You can't raise the price of an already released console without making it look very bad. You could with a brand model and blame everything on supplies shortages or current global prices.

Last edited:
Right now if you don't have a PS5 yet than you should definitely wait for the redesign model your not missing much and plus you will get a better looking model down the line with improvements and fixes plus the games library will grow and be cheaper later on to it a win win.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
You can always get that 12 TF machine for extra horse power.
BM9AphVVlsD4wjmmENK3HzogfAUt7ELqGMAAYbtE9B_Phg-8w4sLWyMtsVNsUrKl4kTcnSg

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why not just wait until 2030 to get even more powerful console.....no scratch that why not wait until 2050 to get EVEN more powerful system.

It never ends with you guys, doesn’t it? There is big difference wanting beautiful visuals and just downright being graphic whores but you guys cross that line long time a go by obsessing over every fucking pixel and frame.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
You can wait all you want. In the meantime Sony is on pace to have their fastest selling console to date. My point is, you might have wanted them to wait but many of us were ready to move on. I have some how found a way to enjoy my PS5 even though those last gen plebes get to play new games too.
Seeing how alot of PS5 versions sell better than the PS4 version ....I agree. Which is the only head scratching thing in all this. I get that development time dictated it being cross gen but still. GT7 is also a head scratcher since that was labeled PS5 exclusive, so something must have changed.

Now, Sony and MS should have wait instead of just having 3 exclusive games (MS 0) to sell you the thing and then say "nevermind, We need to sell this games,0 exclusives until 2023" Those 3 ps5 games could scale perfectly to ps4, and they know it but it was too late.
So....Sony chose Rift Apart to be next gen, but not God of War thats now coming out in 2022....

And Rift Apart can scale perfectly to PS4.....

Yeah.....makes sense.

Maybe Insomniac chose to focus soley on PS5 for Rift Apart? They did just release Miles....a cross gen game....And overall Sony wanted to have an insane 2021 line up.

Maybe for their biggest bangers they wanna tap into the cross gen money. Which again is wild since PS5 versions are selling great right now.

Last edited:

Wulfer

OP you realize your system is probably less powerful but, the cost for what you want would probably be 3x what they were in 2018-2019 when these hardware deals where made. Covid jacked everything up and some manufactures are still waiting for CPUs that they paid for years ago.

I wouldn't bet on a PS5 Pro (or any other upgraded system) anytime soon!

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
OMG.. you guys are really melting like the witch in wizard of Oz!

Let's all just take a step back and completely understand that Sony is a business and not a servant to the gamers. They do what they want when they want. Business if FIRST - period. They aren't going to cut off PS4 from Day 1 to switch over to PS5. 2) They aren't going to just keep making exclusives just for PS when MS is killing it in sales with cross platform games to PC. 3) They don't have to release a game when gamers want it released. 4) Sony is completely dependent on the architecture of AMD.. AMD still doesn't have parity with Nvidia so the better RT and DLSS is AMD's fault not Sony's.
Drama Reaction GIF

Bryank75

Banned
Disagree, they did a great job of getting the best performance per dollar out of each chip and use each wafer to the maximum.

They will do a Pro model in a couple year I hope.... maybe that will suit you.

However the base PS5 is a massive step up from last gen, the SSD, GPU and CPU and just way beyond what was in the Pro. ray tracing, 60fps up to 120 in many games.
Look at games like R&C, Demons Souls and Returnal.... they are way beyond what is going on in the industry otherwise... my opinion of course.

sublimit

Banned
Why not just wait until 2030 to get even more powers console.....no scratch that why not wait until 2050 to get EVEN more powerful system.

It never ends with you guys, doesn’t it? There is big difference wanting beautiful visuals and just downright being graphic whores but guys cross that line long time a go by obsessing over every fucking pixel and frame.
I know right? Imagine how shocking it must be for some people to realize that there are people (like me) who "still" find PS4 games to look beautiful and play fine let alone games from even previous generations.

Kinda sad to see so many people looking at the tree and missing the forest (which is to enjoy good games for what they are).

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Disagree, they did a great job of getting the best performance per dollar out of each chip and use each wafer to the maximum.

They will do a Pro model in a couple year I hope.... maybe that will suit you.

However the base PS5 is a massive step up from last gen, the SSD, GPU and CPU and just way beyond what was in the Pro. ray tracing, 60fps up to 120 in many games.
Look at games like R&C, Demons Souls and Returnal.... they are way beyond what is going on in the industry otherwise... my opinion of course.
Exactly. I seriously doubt there will be a mid-gen. But anything can happen. It has to make sense for Sony though. Not just because like people are assuming.

Blond

Banned
For real. By the time this gen takes off these machines will already be outdated somewhat. At that point just wait for a pro version
Bro TLOU P2, regardless of the opinion of the story, looks better than anything available right now. Artstyle is largely the reason why MGS2 was pretty much upscaled on the HD release and still looked modern.

Blond

Banned
Exactly. I seriously doubt there will be a mid-gen. But anything can happen. It has to make sense for Sony though. Not just because like people are assuming.
I think the only reason we ever saw a midgen refresh was because Sony and Microsoft couldn’t help but capitalize on the growing 4K market, Microsoft even more so considering their entire plan backfired.

VN1X

Banned
Imagine trying to sell this to investors as well.

"yeah so even though our competitor will have two new SKU's out we'd rather wait two more years so we can get a marginally more powerful device out so the people on the forums will be happy about the higher TF count. Sounds good?"

Last edited:

EDMIX

I was just thinking with the cross gen announcements and Unreal 5 still not being fully ready. What if Sony waited until fall 2022 to release PS5 with Demons Souls, Ratchet and Returnal as day 1 launch games, and God of War Ragnarok, Gran Turismo 7, Spiderman all getting free next gen upgrades.

How powerful would their hardware have been. Would we have gotten a more powerful GPU with better RT capabilities, DLSS, more mature tools such as Unreal 5. I feel like Sony and Microsoft should have just waited as the Pro and One X were still putting out decent games. Miles Morales still looks great on the Pro, and now that we know Pro will be able to run the next Gran Turismo and God of War I feel I would have preferred if they waited to release a next gen system.

Nah.

I wish Sony waited until 2042 to release the PS5 and it was more powerful​

Ezquimacore

Banned
Seeing how alot of PS5 versions sell better than the PS4 version ....I agree. Which is the only head scratching thing in all this. I get that development time dictated it being cross gen but still. GT7 is also a head scratcher since that was labeled PS5 exclusive, so something must have changed.

So....Sony chose Rift Apart to be next gen, but not God of War thats now coming out in 2022....

And Rift Apart can scale perfectly to PS4.....

Yeah.....makes sense.

Maybe Insomniac chose to focus soley on PS5 for Rift Apart? They did just release Miles....a cross gen game....And overall Sony wanted to have an insane 2021 line up.

Maybe for their biggest bangers they wanna tap into the cross gen money. Which again is wild since PS5 versions are selling great right now.
I honestly think they wanted to leave the ps4 behind but the current situation make them think twice.

Already my 2006 pentium PC with 1GB OF RAM and Compaq motherboard with a Albatron 7300 gpu can run buses around the PS5. Games like Mindscape conspiracy and Resident Evil Outbreak run at safeneck speeds!

Console just too weak man you right. Throw it in trash. Should have been released in 2024 as virtual console app for Iphone. $500 ? My rig was $111.11 before tax bro get on mai leval.

EDMIX

See? Here is another myth that people are assuming only to be setup for disappointment yet again.

There is no proof that Sony/MS are going to make a mid-gen console. Last gen was a fluke because the systems were way underpowered. This is not the case this gen. I would be surprised if they did make a mid-gen given how hard it is to make silicon and PS5 has barely been able to go into people's hands.

I disagree greatly here.

Sir.....we can say it fucking STARTED as a "fluke" that doesn't mean they made less money and would not make something from a refresh, shit I'd argue a revision has been the most normal thing for BOTH PlayStation and XB. PSOne had one, PS2 had one, PS3 had one, PS4 simply had a more powerful one, but that isn't that different then 3DS Plus or XB360 Elite or XONE X etc

So we can agree that it started because of that, I see no evidence that they will stop it or not do it in the future, simply because it STARTED that way. Greatly unlikely.

I mean shit, thats like saying Wal Mart started self checkout because of the pandemic (not true btw, but see where I'm going with it) and decided afterwards, "hey, lets go back to making less money by getting rid of self checkout and going right back to cashiers now that the pandemic is over".

Why?

How would this help them as a business?

It started that way, that doesn't mean you've seen the end of it. I would be shocked if they DIDN'T do a upgrade mid gen. What reason would they have not to? They hate money now? Please don't give us your money and lets just ignore all the better hardware that will emerge in 4 years? Why? Think of this as a business, don't think of it using just normal logic, as if they did it ONLY for that reason last gen and it would never serve a purpose to do it again or something. That is not the logic of how a business sees something like that, you've literally given a reason that is more so the logic of how a person might think vs a actual business. ie They only remastered this title cause the creator died, that won't be the case for this game, thus it won't get a remaster or think of it like if McDonalds had some promotion for a film that had the number 3 in it and did a 3 patty Big Mac for it, it would be like assuming the will NOT continue to do that if consumers start buying a shit load of it. It suggest that 1 reason exist on why something was done and that the SOLE motivation was for something other then actual business, like a personal thing or in this situation "the systems were way underpowered" sir, that can describe every generation, as every fucking generation will have hardware come out, that is outdated in 6 months or less. I can't stress this enough, do not apply personal logic to this, think of it like you are Wal Mart, Amazon etc Think of it as if you are a company that solely wants to make money and you then fully understand why a mid gen upgrade is inevitable.

Blond

Banned
Why not just wait until 2030 to get even more powers console.....no scratch that why not wait until 2050 to get EVEN more powerful system.

It never ends with you guys, doesn’t it? There is big difference wanting beautiful visuals and just downright being graphic whores but guys cross that line long time a go by obsessing over every fucking pixel and frame.
I’m sure a lot of it has to do with us being on an enthusiast forum. I got a beer money gig recently at my friend’s gaming store and no one really gives a shit, they just want the new consoles for the games they play.

I raise you 2024, with an even more powerful system...What is it you said? 2026, with a superior hardware still? Gosh, you've just won there, mate...Not! 2028, and my imaginary machine would own your feeble 2026 PS5...
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

NahaNago

They didn't have a choice since Microsoft was ready to show a console in december 2019. Maybe they should have waited a bit more for the ps4 and its' games to slowly stop selling since they had such huge console numbers. Considering the pandemic was already on its way during this release I think instead a more optimized and cheap ps4 would have sold like crazy especially if they marketed really well for the pandemic since everyone was at home.

Last edited:
People are going to defend their precious companies but...xbox series x and ps5 are useless until the end of 2022. At least they have some digital foundry videos to jerk off.

Oh really? Well, you should pack your gear and leave until 2023. The forum's IQ would go up three or four points...

Top Bottom