• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I wish Sony waited until 2022 to release the PS5 and it was more powerful

Three

And Sony now knows those games should have been crossgen and every third party now knows it too, so expect crossgen games until 2023.
Based on what? In June 2020 Sony announced Ratchet and Clank, Returnal, Astroboy, and Demon's Souls. All of them released in less than a year from announcement and all of them PS5 exclusive games. Do you honestly think nothing will be announced this year for release in 2022 let alone 2023? People are losing it. This has been a great launch year.

kinjx11

Banned
Well, by the end of 2021 DDR5 ram and new generation of CPUs will be out the door and early 2022 new GPUs will come out too so PS5 will be slow even in 2022

Last edited:
It's highly possible we'll see a PS5 Pro in 2023 or 2024.
I dont think so, I don’t even think we will get a Pro model. Just think about how much the shortage for parts and covid has set the industry back. People cant even walk into a store and buy a PS5 or Series X right now plus we are getting so many cross gen games, it would make zero sense for Sony and MS to launch another console so soon.

Also a pro model isn’t necessary because these consoles are significantly powerful this time out the gate. I think we will see slim models in like 2024 though.

Why stop at 2022? Just imagine what a PS5 launched in 2075 would look like! Maybe you would even be able to connect it directly into your brain via USBrain 6.3 emitters!

And I doubt we will see pro versions this time. Soon we will be 1 year into new gen and they can't even steadily expand the consumer base because of shortages in the supply chain. Better hope the Series and PS5 are really robust, it will be a long ride.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Taking that approach would mean every console manufacturer is perpetually waiting to release their next console because a year later would mean more power and better tools. At some point you have to release the damn thing. Hindsight is 20/20. There has probably never been a launch where the company didn't look back and wonder what would have happened if they would have made a move based on what they knew after the fact. Not to mention, no one in the industry saw COVID coming. Damn near the entire world was woefully unprepared for such a pandemic. By the time strong measures were put in place those production balls were already rolling. Stopping them really wasn't an option.

Neo_game

IMO SS is a mistake. But PS5 and SX are good upgrade, RAM and its BW is probably the worst part. Casuals will be gaming on mobile, streaming so I think it would be great if they can make premium consoles with a starting price of at least 600$.

DavidGzz

Agreed. RT with turrible IQ sucks. They both wanted to beat one another to the punch. XSX and PS5 should be coming this holiday with more games. But we can't go back so the mid-gen refreshes and a new PC purchase will have to do.

See? Here is another myth that people are assuming only to be setup for disappointment yet again.

There is no proof that Sony/MS are going to make a mid-gen console. Last gen was a fluke because the systems were way underpowered. This is not the case this gen. I would be surprised if they did make a mid-gen given how hard it is to make silicon and PS5 has barely been able to go into people's hands.

I think that's exactly why this gen will be even longer than last gen. The scarcity of the consoles, the effect of the pandemic on devs, and how long cross-gen games will be coming out for. I think the mid gen refresh is just as likely this time. We'll be getting cross gen games into 2024 probably. They aren't underpowered but this gen will be over in 2031 at this point, mid gen will be in 2026. Could be crazy talk but I don't think so.

Last edited:

orfax

I am fascinated to know why the op thinks that if they waited a year or two they will get DLSS. Does the op think Sony would have switched over to nvidia? AMD has nothing like DLSS.

twilo99

There is something to be said about waiting for RDNA3 to ship, I think that is kind of the end game for AMD when it comes to this particular architecture and RDNA 1 and 2 are stepping stones. So maybe it would've been smart to wait for that, but who knows.

I really don't know if Sony will go for RDNA3 for the "professional" version of the PS5, or maybe do what Microsoft did with the X and do a heavily modded RDNA2. This is really the unpopular opinion, but from what I gather the PS5 is a RDNA1 mod, and the xbox is an RDNA2 mod, so from that baseline both companies will have an interesting proposition when it comes to the mid cycle upgrades. I don't think either would go full RDNA3.. but I might be wrong.

Last edited:

twilo99

I am fascinated to know why the op thinks that if they waited a year or two they will get DLSS. Does the op think Sony would have switched over to nvidia? AMD has nothing like DLSS.

They will have a proper DLSS (ML based) competitor tech with RDNA3.

FSR is a stop gap.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
But not yet dude PS4 versions are selling higher than PS5 ones, the userbase didn't magically dissapear on PS4 the day the new was released
The few data points we have show the opposite. Unless you have other numbers we dont have access too.

Even on PSN top downloads the PS5 version of games are ranked higher, Miles is one example where its not even on the top download chart for PS4.

The UK shows the same thing for boxed games. And stock, every time PS5 stock hits it boosts PS5 games.

The amount of consoles are a huge difference, but ppl are buying PS5 versions if given the choice.

There is something to be said about waiting for RDNA3 to ship, I think that is kind of the end game for AMD when it comes to this particular architecture and RDNA 1 and 2 are stepping stones. So maybe it would've been smart to wait for that, but who knows.

I really don't know if Sony will go for RDNA3 for the "professional" version of the PS5, or maybe do what Microsoft did with the X and do a heavily modded RDNA2. This is really the unpopular opinion, but from what I gather the PS5 is a RDNA1 mod, and the xbox is an RDNA2 mod, so from that baseline both companies will have an interesting proposition when it comes to the mid cycle upgrades. I don't think either would go full RDNA3.. but I might be wrong.
If the PS5 is RDNA 1, someone needs to tell Lisa Su she's lying then. Because she did it again the other day during the AMD live stream.

Join the twitter folks in their quest to prove she's lying.

....I thought we all went over all this before.....

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
honestly, i don't know what they should have done. i could not spend another year with the ps4 pro jet engine because of how loud and slow it is.

on the other hand, owning a ps5 since launch, I feel as if I could have lived another year without it. i think they should've maybe just released a ps4 pro super slim in 2019 and then launched the real ps5 with more power in 2022 once next gen only software is ready. because now it feels like by the time we get actual next gen only games, there's gonna be a ps5 pro already.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
We are probably a few generations off before impressive RT results will fit comfortably into a console price point. Like with any technology, you can always wait six months and get something better. You have to draw a line in the sand at some point.

Last edited:

TheGrat1

Just tape a big hand-written "4" to the side of the console and pretend that Sony released the PS4 in 2020 and it is super powerful. Then do the same thing for the PS6 with a "5" on the side.

UTMtxp6.gif

Listen clearly you don’t know about the I/O with the ssd… I don’t know the technical details but let me assure you it is light years beyond anything available currently

shubik

I have my PS5 since January and I couldn't be happier. So far the experience was flawless. I can run all my PS4 games with better performance (this alone is worth the money in my opinion), the controller is absolutely fantastic and brings new levels of immersion, and the most important part: who cares if the games are cross-gen when they look like Horizon and Miles Morales? Some of you act like what we saw looked like a base PS4 game... in reality, we got 60FPS with fucking Ray tracing!

Also: we already got true next gen games and we will continue to get them. Dark Souls and Ratchet are proof for this.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Nah, I was tired of it. Been enjoying the silence, controller, faster and smoother console.

I enjoyed Demon Souls, Returnal and I avoided some PS4 games so I could play them on the PS5 at 60fps. Next week Ratchet and FF7
The timing was right

vkbest

Seriously people thinks those games are cross gen because PS5 released on 2020? Those games are cross gen because there are not PS5 sold enough. If PS5 would have release on 2022, you would have cross gen titles until 2024

Silly mindset, waiting a year would not have made a big difference in the consoles capabilities, it's also not long enough to lower the price point enough to make it worth doing anything more than they did launching in 2020 even if that were an option.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
OP’s point could have been rationalized. Sony could have continued to push the PS4 with a PS4 Pro Slim. The sales were quite strong prior to PS5’s launch and margins could have been improved further. Had they begun to taper off, a price cut would have boosted them further.

PS5 launching early 2022 would have helped with the component shortage and yes, possibly a slightly more powerful machine, but it would never have been drastically more powerful simply due to profit margins.

Nonetheless, they did release and PS5 will have a large install base by March 2022. Sales are strong, Sony stock is at a 20 year high and investors are happy... and that’s all that matters.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Nah, ps5 is powerfull enough, especially if you take into account that its not slowed down by the old gen consoles.

tenor.gif

DaGwaphics

Haven't read the thread :messenger_winking_tongue:, but from the title alone I disagree. Should have been 2023, it could have gone for more power then. Or 2024, even more power.

Revenge Of The Sith Power GIF by Star Wars

Last edited:

iJudged

Banned
awww, it is ok! Until then you can game on a nice beefy PC and by the time 2022 rolls around, you will be able to get the PS5 Pro which will be far more powerful, but not just that, also some of the most anticipated exclusives will be ready to come out around that time.

For real. By the time this gen takes off these machines will already be outdated somewhat. At that point just wait for a pro version

even ps4 is still punching above its weight with ghost of tsushima and last of us 2 and also getting ports of horzion 2 and god of war ragnarok and your telling me ps5 and xsx will be outdated anytime soon? stop looking at numbers and start looking at the actual software.

scydrex

7 years is enough with the last gen console with the Jaguar CPU. In fact to me it now it would be better each generation to last 5 years or 6 at most taking BC in mind. If last gen limits were because of the HDD or GPU power ok but now. The CPU can´t keep up with today games. Let´s think of CP 2077 for base PS4 and Xbox One. Imagine if CP would be only for PC and PS5/XSX so no. I hope that from now each generation last 5 years or release a mid gen refresh in the middle.

LordOfChaos

Meh. It hit the 7nm node maturity and wouldn't be much more powerful by waiting a year. Maybe it would equal the SX GPU given that much more time (no CUs disabled for yield etc), but the difference it's made has been trivial imo. They launched at logical times, ignoring an unexpected pandemic.

Last edited:
I was just thinking with the cross gen announcements and Unreal 5 still not being fully ready. What if Sony waited until fall 2022 to release PS5 with Demons Souls, Ratchet and Returnal as day 1 launch games, and God of War Ragnarok, Gran Turismo 7, Spiderman all getting free next gen upgrades.

People here whining about cross-gen games, yet you mentioned GOW, GT7 and Spiderman for next-gen upgrade which means just better graphics and performance

Interfectum

I was just thinking with the cross gen announcements and Unreal 5 still not being fully ready. What if Sony waited until fall 2022 to release PS5 with Demons Souls, Ratchet and Returnal as day 1 launch games, and God of War Ragnarok, Gran Turismo 7, Spiderman all getting free next gen upgrades.

How powerful would their hardware have been. Would we have gotten a more powerful GPU with better RT capabilities, DLSS, more mature tools such as Unreal 5. I feel like Sony and Microsoft should have just waited as the Pro and One X were still putting out decent games. Miles Morales still looks great on the Pro, and now that we know Pro will be able to run the next Gran Turismo and God of War I feel I would have preferred if they waited to release a next gen system.
Bitch Slap Slapping GIF

Tsukumo

How powerful would their hardware have been. Would we have gotten a more powerful GPU with better RT capabilities, DLSS, more mature tools such as Unreal 5. I feel like Sony and Microsoft should have just waited as the Pro and One X were still putting out decent games. Miles Morales still looks great on the Pro, and now that we know Pro will be able to run the next Gran Turismo and God of War I feel I would have preferred if they waited to release a next gen system.
It's not clear from your post: have you played on a PS5?

CJ_75

Your wish will come true. The console will be named PS5 Pro. Or as Richard Leadbetter would call it, Playstation 5 Professional. You do have to wear a suit to play on it.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
People seem to underestimate just how blisteringly awful the CPUs of the Xbox One and PS4 were. Next-gen could not have come earlier.

Last edited:

gundalf

Great CPU, Great GPU, Great RAM, Great SSD and Great controller - I'm not sure what there is to wait besides Sony being forced to suck the costs for that ridiculous cooling system.

sackings

dont understand the outrage about cross gen games. Basically every single PC release is a "crossgen" game because it can be run at multiple settings. Does that stop PC games from looking amazing? nope

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
These threads have got to be trolling at this point. Assuming OP is serious, why release a system or games at all - they will never be as good as future tech will allow them to be!

But imagine what a beast the PS5 would have been if they had waited until 2030!!!

SSfox

Shame to see so many people nowadays giving too much importance to hardware powers, while less focusing on gameplay innovations.

PS5 is super powerful and more than enough, now it's the game that will do the talk, and already started actually.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

The few data points we have show the opposite. Unless you have other numbers we dont have access too.

Even on PSN top downloads the PS5 version of games are ranked higher, Miles is one example where its not even on the top download chart for PS4.

The UK shows the same thing for boxed games. And stock, every time PS5 stock hits it boosts PS5 games.

The amount of consoles are a huge difference, but ppl are buying PS5 versions if given the choice.

If the PS5 is RDNA 1, someone needs to tell Lisa Su she's lying then. Because she did it again the other day during the AMD live stream.

Join the twitter folks in their quest to prove she's lying.

....I thought we all went over all this before.....

Yeah i heard that was the case for RE village and Miles Morales on japan there is not much data but PS4 still going strong 👍

420bits

Yes, but the Ps5 was in development long before we had a pandemic and you can always use this "what if X waited 1 year, 2 years 4 years. When is the breakpoint? New hardware and better tech is released on a yearly basis.

Also, games developed for multiple system today are not the same as they used to be.
Now its more like on PC, one version and it plays differently on different specs and just because some use a 486 cpu doesnt mean that your 3x3090 card-rig will have a worse experience.

So a game developed for ps5 that ALSO works on ps4 will have a smaller gap in terms of looking / running like shit on the new console.

And if you want more power, wait for the pro model or get a PC.

Fredrik

Stop complaining, I’m still waiting on Microsoft’s launch games 7 months after the XSX launch. Maybe we get them at the 1 year anniversary 🥳

oh yeah i'm sure this place would absolutely LOVE giving Xbox a headstart and let them go on to "win" the generation.

anyway, my plan is to wait for the inevitable Pro model because A) more power B) by the time it comes out there will be games to play

This thread is a mess.
i remember back in the PS3/Xbox 360 generation everyone wanted the next gen to start as soon as possible.

clearly Moore's law has been cancelled and NFT con men are hoarding all the chips so nextgen and the future of mankind are at a crossroads

People seem to underestimate just how blisteringly awful the CPUs of the Xbox One and PS4 were. Next-gen could not have come earlier.
People seem to overestimate just how blisteringly amazing the CPUs of the Series X and PS5 are.

i agree with your post but lets not pretend that what we have in current consoles is anything amazing. Are they a big step up over last gen? sure but the CPUs in these new consoles are based on tech from 2 years ago. They are already outdated but I guess that's the nature of consoles.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think you are right in a way, but wrong as the ssd makes a huge difference now in terms of loading times. The mid gen refreshes (series x and pro) did potentially allow them to wait longer, but I think they made the right choice.
We can always do a ps5 pro/x pro in 3 or 4 years.

Top Bottom