• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Won't Pre Order A Game Unless _____" Should be your first thought when a game is revealed.

I didn't want to make this into another "Cyberpunk pitty" thread, but it's the perfect storm... example currently.

A few if not many of us literally pre-ordered games without actually seeing the game run on our preferred platform.

Seeing full gameplay of a game to me is the first check that would determine me to actually pre-order.

What is / are your defining factor(s) in pre ordering a game?

T8SC

There aren't any. I won't pre-order games anymore.

Examples:

Aliens: Colonial Marines - Less said the better. (Fuck you Randy).

Said I wouldn't pre-order again. however due to being a huge fan of the original, leads me onto:

Final Fantasy VII: Remake - What an absolute abonination. WTF did they do with my beloved FF7? There's no need for all that padding & bullshit fetch quests.

Raonak

Banned
I won't preorder a game unless it's by a developer I trust....

I'm pretty sure no-one trusts CDPR anymore.

MayauMiao

Thanks to Cyberpunk debacle I will never ever pre-order. I can afford to wait for legit review and nowadays I'm not so desperate to play games on Day 1 since its almost always broken.

MiguelItUp

Honestly if you preorder a game then you should be aware of the potential risk involved.

These days I only preorder if there's some kind of incentive. Not to mention it's usually a title that I'm SUPER hyped about. Which is few and far between these days. :(

Last collector's I pre-ordered was DOOM Eternal cause I'm a huge DOOM fan and wanted the helmet. I was also super stoked about the game. Most recent game I pre-ordered was Resident Evil 8 because I loved 7, 8 looks great, and I had a gift card, haha. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Unless someone has a gun to my head.
Even if the game in question was gift from Jesus Christ himself, I'll never pre-order a game.
And if you do, and that game bombs in any way, you deserve to lose that money.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: GHG

Retinoid

I won't pre-order any game, period. I'm sick of the dishonest and lazy business practices that publishers obsess over, such as locking game content behind pre-orders. Fuck this industry.

I'm going to pre-order Elden Ring, lord help me.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
I won't pre-order any game, period. I'm sick of the dishonest and lazy business practices that publishers obsess over, such as locking game content behind pre-orders. Fuck this industry.

I'm going to pre-order Elden Ring, lord help me.

Kind of leaving out the Corp cheerleaders, urinalist and dont forget my favorite, the community. Most who dont play games or kind of like deer in the headlights at this point.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

I pre-order a game if it interests me. If by the time it comes my opinion has changed, I get a refund.

This focus on pre-orders is fucking stupid. At the end of the day, you are either going to buy the game or not.

After CyberSpunk Bubble 2077, I'll never preorder a game again unless televised Seppuku is guaranteed in a legally binding contract for the CEO. Also the shareholders have to be surgically connected anus to mouth like the human centipede and marched through the streets.❤

I won’t preorder any game unless Juan Soto is in it

clapping juan GIF by MLB

Derktron

Banned
I don’t need to preorder, the game is coming out regardless of it being delayed. Preordering a game is useless nowadays.

JSoup

Banned
I only pre-order for series I know I'm going to enjoy or otherwise look good enough that performance isn't going to matter. That's why I've had the next LEGO game preordered for over a year and why I've been enjoying Cyberpunk while everyone else was complaining.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I preorder if it's a physical special edition I want and they are likely going to be in short supply, or it's something I'll actually stay up to play when it unlocks - so I want to preload.

I am aware of the risks and am fine with it. I've only been burned a few times.

Meesh

Unless it's Limited Edition, gold plated, diamond studded, draped in velvet and riding atop a seven headed white tiger that farts rainbow butter milk.

Or... or... its Zelda. Sometimes Monster Hunter but that's about it.

RPSleon

Games arent limited by physical production. There is no real reason to pre order.
Ill only buy day one if i know what im getting based on the company who made it or if the previews were open enough.

Mr Moose

... It comes with something cool because I am a sucker for collectors editions :messenger_crying:

I pre-order anything I think I might like, but those fucking collectors editions pull me in.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
For specific games, I usually won't pre-order unless it's got Fallout or Elder Scrolls in the title. And yes, I bought the power armor edition of 76, and no, I don't regret it. As weak as the launch game was, the collectible helm is still bad ass. And the game itself isn't too bad anymore.

Otherwise the only time I pre-order a game is when there's a collector's edition (but I seem to have run out of space for giant boxes in my game room) or if it's a limited/numbered physical release of something.

But honestly can't remember the last time I did pre-order anything aside from "limited" run games. Probably was 76.

EDIT: I remember back on the 360, pre-ordering was a sort of ritual for me. I'd save up my sick time at work and was able to shift some hours around during the week and take a day per month off for game launches. I'd get some snacks, some drinks, and try to get an 8+ hour marathon of my new game. I'd also usually pre-order the strategy guide to go along with the game. Pre-orders weren't really a regular thing for me back prior to the 360, and I only did it a few times during the PS4 gen of consoles.

Last edited:
I only preorder games from Nintendo, Vanillaware, and most of Sony's first party studios.

They've yet to disappoint me even once (at least the ones I've chosen to preorder), so why not keep doing it?

Mabdia

I don't even get games on the release date unless it's got a huge price drop. It happened with Days Gone and now with Cyberpunk(payed R$150, around U$27.89)

But i guess that if i get a free copy of a game i can accept a pre-order of it :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

But I almost pre-ordered Ghost of Tsushima. The game has to hype me to the rooftop. In my entire life the only game that managed to do it was GT5.

jakinov

No it shouldn't be. It should be what incentive you get and where/how do you plan on buying it. Most major physical retails let you return a game as long as you don't open it. You can get the pre-order incentive, then check the reviews or read the online comments before you open the game. You will get 14-30 days. A lot of the main digital stores, also offer refunds on pre-orders. The only two I know of that won't return your money is PlayStation and Nintendo stores. Steam and Xbox even let you play the game for X hours. If you plan on buying PlayStation or Nintendo digital games then sure be extra careful. Otherwise, pre-ordering has been fairly safe way to get a better deal on a game you want to buy at launch.

There are perks to pre-ordering which could be discounted prices, free physical items, free digital items, BETAs, etc. I don't know why people still keep spreading the idea that there's no reason to pre-order a game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If I like what saw or what I played (demo) then I will pre-order, its that simple. Some of you guys making this way more complicated than it actually is.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I won’t pre-order a game period.
At least not when it is literally pre-buying.

Where i live you can often “pre-order” as in reserving a copy when it comes in. You are on a waiting list in and will then be notified. If you dont pick it up the next in line gets it. No ordering or money involved.

Last edited:

mxbison

I don't see any point in pre-ordering, it's not like you get the game sooner or cheaper.

If I want a game on release day, I just buy it on release day.

Cyberpunkd

Final Fantasy VII: Remake - What an absolute abomination. WTF did they do with my beloved FF7? There's no need for all that padding & bullshit fetch quests.
How else can they split the game in 3-4 separate games and sell you each for a full price?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I only preorder when there is a good deal I don't wanna miss on key selling websites, or when there is free goodies like DOOM 64 with DOOM Eternal.

Of couse I only do so with games I'm really sure I'm going to like, but yeah there's still some risk involved.

supernova8

Banned
I didn't want to make this into another "Cyberpunk pitty" thread, but it's the perfect storm... example currently.

A few if not many of us literally pre-ordered games without actually seeing the game run on our preferred platform.

Seeing full gameplay of a game to me is the first check that would determine me to actually pre-order.

What is / are your defining factor(s) in pre ordering a game?
Given that if we're talking PC games then we're talking Steam and therefore digital, there is no "supply and demand" dynamic and therefore there's really no reason to pre-order unless you're getting some super duper pre-order exclusive limited edition goodies or something equally juicy.

If you pre-order a game for the sake of pre-ordering (especially if it's a digital pre-order) then you made your bed and you must lie in it.

I won't pre-order a game unless I'm not that interested in it? Else I will, why should I not?

Since I only buy digital there is indeed a reason to pre-order called pre-loading. I'm not going to buy it on the day and then have to wait till it finishes downloading to play it. I have limited time, if I can do away with having to wait I will.

I also don't pre-order as soon as it is available to, I understand the point about paying before it is even a finished product. RE8, I most likely will pre-order but I am in no rush to do it. Most likely will take holiday, wake up and start the game up which will be glorious! :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:
Only time I've preordered is the likes of Senran Kagura, Hyperdimension Neptunia etc as the store I used to frequent would only get limited quantities.

Never actually preordered for any other reason :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I won't preorder a game. I always wait post day one patch and reviews, the only exception are games that I've played the beta and found ok enough (some MMORPGs for instance).

Top Bottom