• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I would like to get some advice on a concept for VR game for Oculus Quest

keraj37

I would like to get some advice on a concept for VR game for Oculus Quest.

If you think you have a wining idea and want to share it, please do so.

I quit my job and decided to make my own game for Oculus Quest, with a hope Oculus will accept it into the official store. Quest is game changer IMHO in VR World and still there is not much games for it.

I have few ideas myself but want to keep it for myself for now not to spoil your responses.

I have decided to go this direction in 90% - it will eat all my savings, but I need to risk at this point.

If I choose any of your concepts I will let you know and share at least 5% of revenue from Oculus store. I promise that strongly!

iu

iu

pr0cs

I don't understand why no one has reinvented the God game in VR. Yeah we have some similar concepts like Brass tactics where you can pick up units and move /direct them around but it seems to me that a reboot of something like Populous, Dungeon Keeper, Black and White, Power Monger, Megalomania, Syndicate would be great in VR.
  • Seated or standing
  • Less chance for motion sickness
  • Lots of cool ways to implement hand /controller tracking and environmental manipulation
  • Potential for multiplayer/coop

keraj37

I don't understand why no one has reinvented the God game in VR. Yeah we have some similar concepts like Brass tactics where you can pick up units and move /direct them around but it seems to me that a reboot of something like Populous, Dungeon Keeper, Black and White, Power Monger, Megalomania, Syndicate would be great in VR.
  • Seated or standing
  • Lots of cool ways to implement hand /controller tracking and environmental manipulation

I never went this direction in my concepts. Great idea mate, thank you! If it ends up being my choice, you can be sure of 5% of every million I get of revenue. ;)

Last edited:

pr0cs

I never went this direction in my concepts. Great idea mate, thank you! If it ends up being my choice, you can be sure of 5% of every million I get of revenue. ;)
What's your background, presumably in development?
What tools are you evaluating? Unreal? Unity? Other?

keraj37

What's your background, presumably in development?
What tools are you evaluating? Unreal? Unity? Other?

I am unity developer since 10 years, so that is my choice - also for quest, being just an android device Unity is objectively best selection.
But overall I am .NET developer.

Last edited:

holygeesus

Banned
There is a dearth of serious horror games on the Quest IMO. So just port PT or something similar. Or maybe a survival game in the manner of Alien Isolation or Outlast.

holygeesus

Banned
thanks but I cannot do that - I think and believe horror or scary games are unhealthy and I don't want to make any of this.

Fair enough, but it would probably be in your interest to develop games where there is a gap in the market and interest in them. There is a reason that Resident Evil 7 is so popular on the PSVR.

keraj37

Fair enough, but it would probably be in your interest to develop games where there is a gap in the market and interest in them. There is a reason that Resident Evil 7 is so popular on the PSVR.

Sure thing, but I would not be able to look in the mirror since. I prefare having clear conscience then millions on my account.

Phatzo

Neo Member
I know this isn’t a game, but I always wondered why no one has made just a simple music visual simulator that is good. I think laying back and getting lost is some crazy ass visuals with your own music on the quest would make for a great experience. As a quest owner, I would buy this in second! It also seems like low risk reward.

Wonko_C

I would really love someone to tackle the Shmup genre. Cave's 2D shmups are some of my favorite games ever. I think due to the current limited horizontal FOV a vertical shmup would work better than a horizontal one, but maybe a hori shmup would make you turn your head to help you see what's coming ahead.

I visualize it as a vertical playfield just like any vert shmup with the perspective just slightly tilted forwards (think Axelay, Nanostray or Iridion 2), except with VR the depth perception would make it look like a diorama.

I know this isn't exactly the same but a good reference to how I envision it would be Super Stardust Ultra in VR. It's the same game as the flat version, but the added depth feels like you are some kind of galactic giant moving a tiny ship and shooting asteroids, with sparks and stuff flying into your face. (I wish Resogun got the same VR treatment)

Bloody Zombies is totally not a shmup but it's a sidescrolling beat 'em up game, it's already VR compatible and it works really well in VR.

I am totally aware this would be like asking for someone to make something that only a niche into a niche into a niche into a niche into a... (you get the idea) would play. So yeah, not really something that would probably make a return of investment... or maybe the idea of it being in VR would inject new life into such an old genre? who knows! This is just the type of game I would love to see done in VR (that's never been done before).

Last edited:

Bootzilla

Banned
  • Seated or standing
Yeah there have definitely been games.that play with those concepts, but for as much as people constantly talk about how Black and White is perfect for VR no one has really delivered anything like that.

magnumpy

sheesh be careful with your savings. I mean do what you got to do but honestly be careful with gambling on a venture that might turn out to be nothing </pessimism>

Wonko_C

I know this isn’t a game, but I always wondered why no one has made just a simple music visual simulator that is good. I think laying back and getting lost is some crazy ass visuals with your own music on the quest would make for a great experience. As a quest owner, I would buy this in second! It also seems like low risk reward.
This is what I do in Tetris Effect's Theather Mode: Just letting the visuals, vibration and music wash over me. Like being inside a trippy visualizer. Only thing missing is being able to play your own music and the visualizer reacting to it.

Top Bottom