• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ib |OT| Roses are Red, Blue, & Yellow

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Ib_top_01.jpg

Ib is a freeware game, you can download it here.

Please make sure if you've played or seen it to mark spoilers, as there are plenty of people who haven't and may be interested in playing it themselves.

I just realized when talking about this game in another thread here on GAF that there has never been a topic on Ib. It's been mentioned a few times, but alas.

Ib is a freeware RPG Maker horror-puzzle game that released in 2012, available for PC and Mac, which was translated to English by a fluent Japanese & English speaker who goes by VGPerson (she has gone on to translate quite a few other small games and has made a name for herself as such). Its the title that almost solely made RPG Maker horror a stronger niche audience in the west, and has produced an almost stupid amount of fan art and media (some of which you can find below).

Ib is about a girl who visits a museum with her parents. However, before long the museum becomes dark, and she finds herself all alone.

Gameplay-wise, you mainly walk around and solve puzzles, and avoid traps and strange creatures. It's not very complicated, and beating the game for the first time should take you anywhere from 2-6 hours. There is a fairly large number of different endings, and a few unlockables including a new 'dungeon' you can access once you've beaten the game once.

To note is the game was updated last year, the final update of the game, which added a few new endings, new content, and the like.

Actual Screenshots of Ib.

IbScreen1.png
IbScreen2.png
IbScreen3.png
IbScreen4.png

I think this title deserves ??? mention as it not only has lead to a bigger scene both East and West for the ??? of 2D horror games, but also is a ??? jumping-into point for those who have interest in titles like these. I feel certain many have played it already, but if you have not, it is ??? worth going through the game, and always interesting to hear peoples thoughts on the game. There's a lot one could say or discuss in the game, and much hidden in the game itself, but I'll save that for another post. Anyone here played Ib? Haven't played it but interested? Never heard of it? Did you play one of the older ??? of the game, but not one of the ??? updated last year?

(You don't know some of these words...)

Endesu

Yeah, I played vgperson's initial release of Ib, finished with one or two of the endings, loved it, and then let it be. I have been mildly curious about the newer versions (that post-game dungeon is new to me), just been too lazy to actually download them.

Dusk Golem

This was a very neat little game. I played through it one sitting a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

Was about my case, it was also the game that got me into trying more RPG Maker horror, which I do not regret.

Been wondering when someone would make a thread. The English patch been out awhile now.

I think it might be the niche status, but then the game has a fairly large niche audience so I guess I'm surprised too, but I find I end up making most of the topic for games like these so I decided I might as well for Ib since it hasn't existed and is definitely one of the most notable, and arguably one of the best (the best, if you ask many).

Yeah, I played vgperson's initial release of Ib, finished with one or two of the endings, loved it, and then let it be. I have been mildly curious about the newer versions (that post-game dungeon is new to me), just been too lazy to actually download them.

The new dungeon is pretty great if you enjoy the puzzle-solving aspect of the game. It has the most fun and puzzles, and there's quite a few of them. Also some extra scenes and the like. The new endings are pretty good too, and a few other changes here and there. Also something new you arrive at once you finish the game that makes collecting the different endings worth it.

I would like to see a studio taking this game to make technical improvements, and release it for consoles, in the same way that happened with Corpse Party.

Dusk Golem

I would like to see a studio taking this game to make technical improvements, and release it for consoles, in the same way that happened with Corpse Party.

That would be interesting, but might be a while. The Corpse Party example of course happened over 10 years after the game's initial release. Another example I can think of was an old RPG Maker game called Palette which got a Playstation 1 remake in Japan, though that was by the original developer who used money he won from a competition he won with Palette.

But maybe. I mean, things like Ao Oni, Yume Nikki, and Witch's House recently are getting official novels and mangas.

I played the holy trinity of Ib, The Witch's House and Mad Father all within a few days of each-other last year. If you include Ib's final update, which I played a few months afterwards, it's probably my 2nd favourite of the trio (nothing is going to beat The Witch's House anytime soon).

I said it in the RPG Maker thread, but the setting and atmosphere of the game was really exceptional, even with the limited tech. Liked the cast as well, though I had a particular soft spot for Mary because of her ??? ???, her ??? status and her willingness to ??? ??? in order to ???. The new ending where she was ??? in the ??? ??? was the one I enjoyed most, despite it being probably the bleakest overall.

(You don't know some of the words...)

And yeah, the fan-art is pretty spectacular as well. Was gonna post some of my favourites but then I realised they're all kinda spoilery, so I'll make do with a few others.

For the record though, this is my favourite. (spoilers)

Dusk Golem

I played the holy trinity of Ib, The Witch's House and Mad Father all within a few days of each-other last year. If you include Ib's final update, which I played a few months afterwards, it's probably my 2nd favourite of the trio (nothing is going to beat The Witch's House anytime soon).

I said it in the RPG Maker thread, but the setting and atmosphere of the game was really exceptional, even with the limited tech. Liked the cast as well, though I had a particular soft spot for Mary because of her ??? ???, her ??? status and her willingness to ??? ??? in order to ???. The new ending where she was ??? in the ??? ??? was the one I enjoyed most, despite it being probably the bleakest overall.

(You don't know some of the words...)

And yeah, the fan-art is pretty spectacular as well. Was gonna post some of my favourites but then I realised they're all kinda spoilery, so I'll make do with a few others.

For the record though, this is my favourite. (spoilers)

I do prefer Witch's House as well, but Ib is close. And the same predicament with me with the OP, I was wanting to post some art I personally like more, but I also realized a lot of it was pretty spoiler-y. XD;

Top Bottom