• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IBT Times Fallout 4 Review Breaks Embargo *No spoilers in OP*

The review has some really horrendous screenshots.

Overall, the review just states that Fallout fans will love it, but there isn't nothing much to convince newcomers.

Did they review a copy Bethesda gave them or did they find one in the wild?
The review states copy was given by Bethesda and if they weren't tied by an embargo, they wouldn't have published and deleted it.

Well... Hm. More confident this will be my free game from B2G1 this week now. Will probably trade in if my impressions match

Some of the things he complained about are IMO some of the things that made fallout great. Story has never been a main selling point For the most recent Fallouts, nor pacing. It's about what you do in the game and setting @_@

Seems like Bethesda carried over their template from Fallout 3 without making the world feel anymore alive.

Eh, not a bad thing. I dumped over 100 hours in Fallout 3 and I didn't even finish the story.

It sounds like he's never played the franchise before and was surprised by the initial going.

Which isn't unfair, but at the same time, I don't think this should discourage anybody who loved Fallout 3, New Vegas, etc

Hoje0308

Banned
The review has some really horrendous screenshots.

Overall, the review just states that Fallout fans will love it, but there isn't nothing much to convince newcomers.

The review states copy was given by Bethesda and if they weren't tied by an embargo, they wouldn't have published and deleted it.

Oh jeez, I completely missed that part somehow.

Question answered if you scroll down.

Didn't click, as I'm not going anywhere near reviews until after I've played the game. I know very little about the story and would like to keep it that way.

Yeah, I kinda stopped playing Skyrim after about 20 hours I think. Without a good narrative, or satisfying enough gameplay loop it's hard for me to continue playing open world games.

Nabbis

I don't see how it's more of what you loved in Fallout 3. The game seems rather streamlined, but i guess i can make the final judgement if/when i eventually get the game.

JTripper

Some of the things he complained about are IMO some of the things that made fallout great. Story has never been a main selling point For the most recent Fallouts, nor pacing. It's about what you do in the game and setting @_@

Eh, not a bad thing. I dumped over 100 hours in Fallout 3 and I didn't even finish the story.

Agreed. Even in Skyrim and Fallout 3, I couldn't care less about the main story. The draw was progressing, exploring, doing quests and seeing what the world had in store for you.

As long as the Galaxy News Nation radio station is good, I'll be right at home with Fallout 4.

Sushi Nao

None of these things are a problem to me, lol. I play Fallout because it's a bleak, unforgiving timesink, not in spite of it. I'm still fully hyped.

kswiston

Grimløck;184569623 said:
oh god he ranks dragon age: inquisition higher.

i thought that game was a boring slog.

This is meaningless because he loved DA: Inquisition.

From the IBT review for Dragon Age: Inquisition said:
If you’ve played the previous games, you’ll love this. The hype is real. And if you haven’t played the other two, well there’s the Tapestry to help you get caught up. If you’re a fan of BioWare games or Western action-RPGs, you should absolutely pick this up.

All this tells me is he likes the Bioware approach to CRPGs. Not that Fallout 4 is even worse than a game you thought was bad.

BADMAN

From reading that review it looks like this was his first fallout game. That makes it a bit hard to gauge if the game is actually boring or if he's just not into the fallout formula.

The closest thing he had to compare it to was Dragon Age Inquisition.

120v

sounds like he never played a fallout game before... and just isn't into fallout in general. pretty much a non-review

The closing comments basically say that if you're a Fallout fan you'll probably love it. If you're a newcomer, likely not so much.

TheXbox

Sounds like a Bethesda game, alright. Slow opening, boring characters, and a gorgeous, expansive world. Hopefully the quest writing isn't as bad as this dude seems to think it is. That was my only major gripe with Skyrim; F3 and Oblivion were marginally better in that department.

Sounds about what I expected. I thought 3 was pretty mediocre and NV was an improvement ten fold. As long as some of the improvements NV made are still in I'm good.

Story progression is a non-issue for me in the overall scheme of things. Far more interested in the quests and loot progression.

d00d3n

As I was picking my way through an abandoned brewery somewhere in the wastelands about 10 hours into the game, I blurted out, "When is something interesting supposed to happen?" I was bored, even after running through a few of the main story quests. "This is the hill I'm going to die on," I thought then. "Fallout 4" has very dedicated fans, and I imagine the reaction to these statements won't be particularly positive.

Does the guy even like RPGs? Sounds like he is looking for AAA set pieces, which Bethesda Game Studios games have never been about. Rise of the Tomb raider would probably have been a better choice for this reviewer.

sounds like he never played a fallout game before... and just isn't into fallout in general. pretty much a non-review
I don't think that makes it a non-review. In fact, it makes it a particularly interesting review for the many people who will be entering the franchise and wondering what first impressions will be like.

You'd think people would wait for more reviews, from more relevant outlets, to see if a consensus has formed, before acting as though all of their worst fears have been confirmed.
oh wait no you wouldn't lol

For someone to talk about the hype, you would think they would have a clue what kind of game it was.

I'm over 100 hours in NV right now and I might have completed 3 or 4 checkpoints in the main story. That long drawn out pacing and the missions that make the world a living interesting place are what makes the game! If I get home and want to casually walk around the wasteland, meet some people, and complete some missons. I can. If I want to test my mettle and walk into an area that I know I will be tested, beaten, and my patience ripped from my soul, I know where that is in the wasteland too and will walk there. Heck, I'll just walk around to discover what lies over the hill over there. THAT'S THE POINT.

By the way, I can't wait for my pip-boy

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
To be fair, I praised the sheer number of activities and quests available in "Dragon Age: Inquisition," a game similar to "Fallout 4." However, "Dragon Age" had a decently captivating plot and, more important, charismatic characters to invest you in their world, make you laugh and pull the story along.

And into the trash his opinion goes

kswiston

Story progression is a non-issue for me in the overall scheme of things. Far more interested in the quests and loot progression.

It's a Bethesda game. Don't get your hopes up for even adequate loot progression.

Quests will likely be a mixed bag like always as well.

AlexBasch

To be fair, I praised the sheer number of activities and quests available in "Dragon Age: Inquisition," a game similar to "Fallout 4." However, "Dragon Age" had a decently captivating plot and, more important, charismatic characters to invest you in their world, make you laugh and pull the story along.
Uhhh no. I don't agree.

Cob32

The idea of having to sneak around, picking my fights carefully and ransacking abandoned breweries sounds like fallout heaven to me.

Ooccoo

Seems like Bethesda carried over their template from Fallout 3 without making the world feel anymore alive.

Which is probably why the game feels like it was created in 2008. Assets don't lie and the empty world seems like a waste. I'd much rather have them create a smaller world full of interactivity than a big ass world that feels sterile.

For us Fallout fans, there is nothing this guy or any other critic is going to say to make us not enjoy the experience. If you allow the opinions of others to affect your experience/enjoyment of a game, I don't think this hobby is for you.

Venom Fox

Banned
Also hey OP, thanks for spoiling the opening of the game. Think before you post a thread next time, maybe actually read the article your posting... I know you updated the post but still, you didn't do it when you needed to, you only did it when I posted that there were spoilers.

Top Bottom