• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ice Station Z - 3DS eShop Nov 3rd(Zombie Survival w/ Low Poly 3D, Online, Voice Chat)

Oregano

Saw this on Gonintendo and thought it was worthy of its own thread.

Trailer

It's from Wobbly Tooth who developed Battle Miner for the 3DS(which seems to have done really well for them).

The main interesting thing is that it's seemingly open world with online multiplayer including voice chat.

It also has a low-poly look which some people might like.

Zombify and freeze if old/unthreadworthy.

Katori

Low-poly look is quite cool. I always thought Battle Miner was a little silly looking, but I might pick this up if I ever have some spare eShop cash.

Oregano

Gotta give then props for attempting to cram something like this on to the 3DS.

Yup, the games probably ropey as fuck but I'm willing to throw a few quid their way for at least trying something out there.

Will probably get this out of morbid curiosity at some point.

Have you played their previous games by any chance?

I just found out they released a game called The Magic Hammer last year which is another Minecraft clone but a third person RPG one.

Low-poly graphics don't bother me if the gameplay is there. In fact, I quite like it when it's coming from devs who don't have a lot of money and are not asking for $40. It looks promising so far.

TheMoon

Have you played their previous games by any chance?

I just found out they released a game called The Magic Hammer last year which is another Minecraft clone but a third person RPG one.

Nope but this one ticks a few of my boxes.

MisterHero

Portable Dead Rising that isn't the weird looking mobile game?

Yep, it's exactly like Dead Rising for a portable! And hey, I don't mind poly graphics from the days of early-90s Flight Simulator.

just kidding, but I'm very interested

TheMoon

Portable Dead Rising that isn't the weird looking mobile game?

Yep, it's exactly like Dead Rising for a portable! And hey, I don't mind poly graphics from the days of early-90s Flight Simulator.

just kidding, but I'm very interested

Dead Rising? This looks nothing like Dead Rising.

This is Day Z.

This is from the Battleminer Devs no? If so, I'll check it out. At the very least to see how they went about making such a game on the 3DS, and how they solved (or didn't) certain problems.
Atmosphere and look reminds me a bit of Body Harvest, which I always thought was one of the more underrated N64 games.

I thought so as well, and yeah, body harvest was janky as fuck, but had a charm all its own.

I always wished someone would do something like this for a while. Barren Roads dev showed interest, but he seems to have abandoned the game altogether.

Then I kinda thought unless it's really well made, it'd just be a novelty that I'd play for a little while then go back to things that are actually well suited to handhelds like all the TRPG's I play.

Still, A for effort. Doesn't look like the worst thing I've seen.

Oregano

This makes heroes of ruin look like some technical marvel by comparison.

Yeah but to be fair Heroes of Ruin was from a major publishers and established developer. These guys are as indie as it gets.

This is from the Battleminer Devs no? If so, I'll check it out. At the very least to see how they went about making such a game on the 3DS, and how they solved (or didn't) certain problems.

I thought so as well, and yeah, body harvest was janky as fuck, but had a charm all its own.

Yeah same devs, looks like this is actually their fourth 3DS game.

Opa-Pa

Looks extremely rough, almost intentionally so, but the concept sounds interesting coming from a 3DS eshop indie game... If they execute it well I might check it out.

Santar

Wish they had a European release date.
Just having a game of this type running on a 3DS is impressive.
It has a charm with the low poly graphics and I could see this being fun in local multiplayer.
EDIT
Looks like the EU date is the same as the US one, yeey!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I love the low-poly stylistic design the game has. The trailer alone gives off a weird mood I'm kind of attracted by.

I contacted the developer and he said the price was going to be $3.99 in USA, €2.99 in EU. So, same as The Magic Hammer and Toy Stunt Bike.

Whoa. Hey. Now that's interesting. This game could be the Indie GOTY for my brother and me. Does not need to be full of functions and content, if it manages to get the few things right. Most important, a feeling of constant threat without constant action. Survival should be a rewarding experience the longer it lasts. And hopefully you can choose who you play with, I have zero interest in only teaming up with randoms.

The trailer looks promising, the lack of visual fidelity seems to be compensated with atmosphere.
Great pricing also, a shame you can not gift games to people in your friendlist like you could do on the Wii. If this game turns out to be ok, I would not mind to spend 8 or 12 bucks to buy it as a little surprise for my brother and two of my buddies.
Well, I'll keep an eye on that one for sure!

no Ernest Borgnine no sale!

91HPq0R58UL._SL700_.jpg

Seriously though, hope this turns out well. At the very least, they're rocking the low-poly look near as I can tell.

Blam

So another DayZ clone, but the price is cheap and honestly I wouldn't mind playing this if it runs well.

Top Bottom