• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#ICONIC Lady Gaga performs FLAWFREE national anthem at Superbowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks like it was filmed in the early 90s.

performence is good. better than the horribly overrated whitney houston one but not even close to the perfection of Faith Hill's one (which was in the late 90s or early 00s...can't remember).
Hill's anthem was 100% GREAT. no oversinging etc bullshit....just pure awesomeness

edit:
here it is https://youtu.be/eUDJyoij5E4

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
performence is good. better than the horribly overrated whitney houston one but not even close to the perfection of Faith Hill's one

Now there's an opinion I've never heard before! You are suggesting that Faith Hill's anthem is better than both Gaga's AND Whitney's? o_O

nynt9

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet
photo6.jpg

I didn't like this version.

As a general rule, I hate national anthems that are slow as fuck and she was slow.

Also, she went back and forth between her normal voice and weird, low, deep-throated singing that just sounded strange.

Its actual a poem by a guy who was sent to negotiate for prisoner exchange aboard a British ship. But he saw the strength and position of the British forces so they locked him up. He watched the battle from his room and saw the American flag still flying the morning after the attack on Baltimore. He later wrote The Star Spangled Banner after being released. I forget what song it was paired with though.

/history

From the wiki:

"The poem was set to the tune of a popular British song written by John Stafford Smith for the Anacreontic Society, a men's social club in London. "To Anacreon in Heaven" (or "The Anacreontic Song"), with various lyrics, was already popular in the United States. Set to Key's poem and renamed "The Star-Spangled Banner", it soon became a well-known American patriotic song. With a range of one octave and one fifth (a semitone more than an octave and a half), it is known for being difficult to sing. Although the poem has four stanzas, only the first is commonly sung today."

I thought it was kind of goofy. I was surprised when I came on GAF and saw people raving about it. Her pronunciations were weird but I'm glad she came down from the kermit the frog clothes phase to just hunger games.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
When has she been known to lip sync ever?

Dunno - I don't know enough about the artist to say.

There might be an agreement with the NFL that they want no type of missteps during the national anthem, and request any artist singing it to have it pre-recorded.

As a pianst, I also found it odd that they would mic up a grand piano, then have it closed.

I'm just saying that folks are adamant about her doing the performance live. Unless you're the producer at the stadium, you'd have no idea.

MrV4ltor

Dunno - I don't know enough about the artist to say.

There might be an agreement with the NFL that they want no type of missteps during the national anthem, and request any artist singing it to have it pre-recorded.

As a pianst, I also found it odd that they would mic up a grand piano, then have it closed.

I'm just saying that folks are adamant about her doing the performance live. Unless you're the producer at the stadium, you'd have no idea.

She's know to be one of the few artists to have never lipsynced be it on her tours, live TV performances or award shows. I mean she has the voal power to back it all up. And here's her warming up before the performance. I doubt she'd do that if she lipsynced lol

Why can't anyone just sing the anthem instead of siiiIIIIIIIiiiIIIInnnnnnnnnNnnNGIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiinnnggggging it? I get that it's a big moment for anyone who gets to do it at the super bowl, but could you reign it in just a little? Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom