• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iD job listing suggests a Quake title is in development

credit to gamenesia for spotting this

https://jobs.zenimax.com/requisitions/view/869

rM8X0TH.png

id Software is looking for a Senior Physics & Simulation Programmer to work as part of a development team on legendary id game properties like DOOM and QUAKE, developing physics and simulation technology for the game industry’s most advanced engine technology. This position requires engaging in a proactive, high energy development environment on our core technology team.

Every other listing for their jobs do not include the term " to work as part of a development team on legendary id game properties like DOOM and QUAKE", and that line in and of itself implies they will be working on DOOM and QUAKE.

Lock if superfluous or jumping the gun, but... FUCK ME, I'm all for Quake IV Arena. With the new Unreal Tournament, and how well the reboots for iD's other shooters have gone so far this gen... The thought of a high paced arena shooter makes me froth at the mouth.

For an example of what the other listings say in their place:
"id Software’s iconic brands such as Wolfenstein®, DOOM®, QUAKE® and RAGE® have become staples of popular culture for generations of gamers."

This is also listed under "about us", rather than being plastered at the top of the listing like it is for the senior physics programmer position.

Hype?

HYPE.

Lock if superfluous or old - but I searched "Quake" and saw nothing regarding this.

I'm not 100% convinced considering that language, but that would be awesome. Never really dug into the Quake games at the time, but considering id's handling of Doom, I feel like it would be right up my alley.

_machine

I would say that it's hardly a confirmation, but serves as background for the job description (their way to say we have pedigree and talent) and especially the word "like" implies that doesn't necessarily mean either IP and could be a new one. That's because I remember seeing one of our previous opening refer to a game/IP that had already been killed in a very similar fashion.

EDIT: re-read and it could imply an existing IP more than a new one, but I'd still be very skeptical

Easy_D

never left the stone age
YES! After seeing how fucking amazing the new Doom is after my initial impressions were lukewarm at best, I can't wait to see what current day iD can do with Quake.

Crayon

I only started doom last nite... excuse me... DOOM last nite (respect).

They've done this marvelous job deconstructing the original and putting out a game that is this plausible product of some alternate timeline where we didn't turn our collective back on the classic fps. Almost reminds be of what the xcom reboot did, altho that was even more impressive in a way.

Anyhow.... if they can do this kind of job for Quake 1 specifically, I will be all over that.

213372bu

Banned
That alone is too much to take from as the sentence refers literally to "legendary id properties", but a new Quake is overdue.

They still love throwing around Quake and "Quake"con is still huge.

dc3k

maybe it's just bad wording and they didn't really mean actually Doom and Quake?

like1
līk
preposition
having the same characteristics or qualities as; similar to.

Caffeine

thats cool i'm a huge quake fan was wondering why it vanished after 4.
rage was ok maybe rage 2 will actually be good if they consider it a staple.

Welfare

Give me QUAKE.

It would be sooooo cool to have reboots of Wolfenstein, Doom, and Quake, all in one generation, and they all be GOOD single player experiences.

That was posted in a few of the Doom threads. I have two concerns, the wording is strange and the fact that they list Doom seems odd, as that game just came out.

Either way even if it's true, hiring now means the game won't surface for probably at least three years at this point.

Theodoricos

Please have it be a classic FPS with non-linear map design and a single player campaign like Quake 1 or 2. Please.

Quake 3 disappointed me in being multi-player only, and the less said of Quake 4, the better.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
It just needs to perfect the trinity of FPSs that is Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake. They'll probably bring back Trent Reznor if they have the chance.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I fucking knew it!! This is hilarious as I was thinking about making a thread asking if gaf thought Quake would be the next big revival as both Doom and Wolfenstein was so successful. The wife and I were in agreement that they almost have to ya know? I mean it's the trifecta of classic PC gaming. Count me in and count me stoked, as WTNO and Doom are now my favorite shooters of all time so I could definitely use more ID and Bethesda revivals; they're on fire and I want them to stay that way.

Teknoman

As long as its closer to Quake 1 in aesthetic style. Just because Quake 3 was an amazing MP game doesnt mean that every Quake after that should be...well an arena shooter.

Now if they can manage to make a fun SP and MP with the same mechanics, then by all means.

id is still console-focused right?

i can't imagine how quake 5 could end up being a good quake game if it's designed to be enjoyed by someone with average skill on a controller

I would not be able to keep myself away from a second coming of Quake 3.

I preferred the first game's style best when it came to campaigns though. That campaign was so long ago though, so am just going by nostalgia.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Possibility A: This language is included because they mean Quake but they don't want to say Quake so they say Doom and Quake *wink wink* and you cracked the code.

Possibility B: This is HR boilerplate and it just didn't get applied to every job and when they say "like Quake and Doom", they mean "like Quake and Doom".

Even so though, even if Quake 5 happens, how likely is it that Bethesda / iD will make anything like a classic-style multiplayer in the Quake 1 - 3 mold? I hope they will, I loved Quake 3 Arena.

Theodoricos

Even so though, even if Quake 5 happens, how likely is it that Bethesda / iD will make anything like a classic-style multiplayer in the Quake 1 - 3 mold? I hope they will, I loved Quake 3 Arena.

Classic Quake was single player oriented first and foremost though. We already have Quake Live with an ever-expanding map and game mode list. I'd really like them to not forget about the single player component of the franchise.

If it's not basically quake 1 I'm not interested

Only good quake game

Or I'd take a quake 3 arena game if they had offline vs bots

Bulletzen72

Gold Member
Oh God! I need to see a new Quake game but with the style of Quake 1. Give me a re-imagining of the Ogre, The Fiend, The Tar Baby, The Shabler, The Vore and....and some new Lovecraftian horrors!
I wants it....I NEEDS IT! :D

Crayon

Something in line with the original Quake's Lovecraftian stuff would be nice.

This is what I want. Quake 1 is a great package, warts and all.

The same way DOOM 2016 has lit up everyone's list?

Really, the console considerations is not the hobbling blow that some make it out to be. Doom seems to be both a fantastic pc game and console game, with nary a compromise.

That said, I would be excited about a pc-only Quake designed to laser focus on the particulars of the pc environment. Worked for xcom 2, right?

ezekial45

Banned
Something in line with the original Quake's Lovecraftian stuff would be nice.

That would be great. Going Sci-fi really killed a lot of the uniqueness Quake had going for it. Yes, I know Q3A was great, but the fantasy-horror angle from the original game was sorely missed.

Zomba13

Fully on board with Quake if they go the Quake 1 route (Lovecraft stuff, portals, weird medieval like versions of modern weapons etc). I don't want fucking Strogg.

And I want the multiplayer to just be Quake 3 (they can totally have Strogg skins here and eyeball monsters and the like).

Also I want some deep lore for Quake guy like Doom guy got.

Top Bottom