• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'd like to see a Limitless sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think about it, the movie is essentially a superhero origin story. Eddie has now achieved permanent superhuman intelligence, and is running for President of the United States. The idea of an elected politician with superpowers reminds me of the great comic book series Ex Machina, and is rife with potential.

I would love to see a follow-up where Eddie tries to use his powers to shape a better world, and what better way to do so than become the most powerful man on the planet. Of course villainous corporations would not take kindly to his ideas, and struggle would ensue. A morally-corrupt CEO hopped-up on a new and "improved" version of NZT-40 might make for an interesting antagonist.

Anyway, considering the 27M$ budget versus 161M$ box office (not even including home video sales) of the original, it doesn't seem entirely impossible. Admittedly thrillers rarely get sequels, but one can dream.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
If you think about it, the movie is essentially a superhero origin story. Eddie has now achieved permanent superhuman intelligence, and is running for President of the United States. The idea of an elected politician with superpowers reminds me of the great comic book series Ex Machina, and is rife with potential.

I would love to see a follow-up where Eddie tries to use his powers to shape a better world, and what better way to do so than become the most powerful man on the planet. Of course villainous corporations would not take kindly to his ideas, and struggle would ensue. A morally-corrupt CEO hopped-up on a new and "improved" version of NZT-40 might make for an interesting antagonist.

Anyway, considering the 27M$ budget versus 161M$ box office (not even including home video sales) of the original, it doesn't seem entirely impossible. Admittedly thrillers rarely get sequels, but one can dream.

Sure can.

JdFoX187

Banned
Terrible movie with so many plot holes and contrivances. I was so disappointed in it. But what you propose does sound somewhat interesting.

Truant

Thanks for the spoilers. My cousin really wanted to see this film, since he has cancer and could die any minute. Now he can spend two hours suffering instead.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Thanks for the spoilers. My cousin really wanted to see this film, since he has cancer and could die any minute. Now he can spend two hours suffering instead.

Is he reading the thread? Are you the cousin? Do you read GAF aloud to him?

I really liked this movie, and agree that I would like to see the "powers" of the main character put to the test once more

CFMOORE!

i actually just watched this on netflix the other day. took away from the ending that his intelligence isn't permanent and that he still requires and has the drug created for him. the ending implied he lied to de niro's character about being off it and not needing it to survive when he ordered in chinese and his gf looked at him a little miffed.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
i actually just watched this on netflix the other day. took away from the ending that his intelligence isn't permanent and that he still requires and has the drug created for him. the ending implied he lied to de niro's character about being off it and not needing it to survive when he ordered in chinese and his gf looked at him a little miffed.

He didn't need the old version, he had someone create a new version for him, a better version with no side effects. He didn't tell DeNiro that he was off it.

From wiki: "Carl offers him an unlimited supply of NZT (admitting that they both know he is headed for Presidency); however, Eddie must use his political position to push Carl's agenda in return. Eddie refuses, claiming that he no longer needs the drug, apparently having had the foresight to have multiple labs working on the NZT, refining it so that he could quit it without experiencing side effects, while permanently retaining its mental enhancements."

I don't see how ordering food in chinese implies that he lied to Carl.

Raiden

Banned

My mind is still processing on this post, but you should get a tag for it.

I'd be down with it, I really liked this movie. Surprised it has so many detractors on here.

Also I have a man crush on Bradley Cooper.

I can't tell if Truant is being serious or fucking around. I expected going into the thread there were going to be spoilers anyway but yeah there probably should have been a spoiler warning in the title or the OP anyway.

I'd be down with it, I really liked this movie. Surprised it has so many detractors on here.

Yeah, the "adderall commercial" jab is a poor one.

It unlocks every memory a person ever had, which is a really cool concept. Imagine if you could just pull the knowledge out of every article, every documentary, every textbook you ever read or saw?

What is cool is that this makes any person anywhere a superhero. All that untapped knowledge is inside every human.

Zoibie

Yes! I hope PSN starts releasing new comics when the Vita launches, I feel cheated that they stopped the service in the middle of the series. EM would make a pretty good movie too come to think of it.

LogicStep

From wiki: "Carl offers him an unlimited supply of NZT (admitting that they both know he is headed for Presidency); however, Eddie must use his political position to push Carl's agenda in return. Eddie refuses, claiming that he no longer needs the drug, apparently having had the foresight to have multiple labs working on the NZT, refining it so that he could quit it without experiencing side effects, while permanently retaining its mental enhancements."

I don't see how ordering food in chinese implies that he lied to Carl.

That's what I understood when I saw the movie. He got a new version where the effects are permanent and he doesn't need to take the pill anymore.

Pretty good movie but the last five minutes felt like such a lame cop-out. Should have at least gone with a "this is my curse" kind of feel, a life like that has to suck.

CFMOORE!

That's what I understood when I saw the movie. He got a new version where the effects are permanent and he doesn't need to take the pill anymore.

hmm, i'll have to go back and watch it again. i might not have fully paid attention to what he was aiming for when talking with the chemist. i thought it was just to keep the supply from running out. nothing more. was there specific dialogue as to that being his aim or is the wiki entry a guess?

alba

Little is the new Big
I really liked this movie, and agree that I would like to see the "powers" of the main character put to the test once more

Agreed, was pleasantly surprised by the movie and if they do another one as good if not better as this one, I'm in.

Edit your post RIGHT NOW and remove all information, then make a one page summary of your sequel with some ideas for actors. Send it to me and I'll make sure it gets in the right hands.

Pretty good movie but the last five minutes felt like such a lame cop-out. Should have at least gone with a "this is my curse" kind of feel, a life like that has to suck.

This is exactly how I felt.

I loved the concept and overall enjoyed the movie, but it began to unravel halfway through and for the last half hour or so, my face was stuck in an expression of disbelief. That said, I'd probably watch a sequel. I like the idea in the op.

Jarmel

Banned
What I loved most about the movie is that he actually used his super intelligence to create a better drug.

It took him so damn long to do so though. That would have been the first thing I did with my intelligence. Making it stick.

Anyway I loved the movie to death and would very much look forward to a sequel.

Bit-Bit

The whole movie I couldn't stop thinking about how he should have used his ability to become a master chemist and create a better version of the drug whose effects would be permanent without side effects. Thought the ending was a great way of doing it and I would really like to see a sequel with someone who had done the same but with unlimited resources going up against Bradley Cooper, President of the United States.

7sDou.jpg

I thought the twist at the end was that Eddie lied, he still relied on the pills? I got this impression because his girlfriend was told, by him, that he stopped taking them but he orders food in Chinese at the end giving her a wry smile.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I thought the twist at the end was that Eddie lied, he still relied on the pills? I got this impression because his girlfriend was told, by him, that he stopped taking them but he orders food in Chinese at the end giving her a wry smile.
I thought that whether or not he still had to take any pills it was clear he had worked around the side effects, which was the major obstacle either way.

Come on, rehost that Sculli.

Arment

He is permanently smart now. No side effects, no pills.

tino

Banned

I actually was surprised the writer/director stuck to the plot and play it straight face to the end.

60% of this kind of movies end with the main character dying with his loved one holding him; another 30% end with him losing all the fortune and pills but nonetheless learn a valuable lesson and realize love is the only importance thing in life.

I am surprised the script essentially let him cheat and succeed.

It's worth a rental to see Robert Deniro play a bad ass Robert Deniro for once.

Jarmel

Banned
I actually was surprised the writer/director stuck to the plot and play it straight face to the end.

60% of this kind of movies end with the main character dying with his loved one holding him; another 30% end with him losing all the fortune and pills but nonetheless learn a valuable lesson and realize love is the only importance thing in life.

I am surprised the script essentially let him cheat and succeed.

It's worth a rental to see Robert Deniro play a bad ass Robert Deniro for once.

That's what I loved about the movie. No bullshit life or emotional lessons.

The movie had execution problems IMO but yeah I liked the idea and the fact the dude ended up on top. A better sequel would be cool, and the op's idea isn't a bad one.

Raide

I thought it was a pretty pointless movie with a fairly pathetic outlook on life. Unlimited intelligence to do whatever he wants and all he does is find women and try and make a load of money.

Jarmel

Banned
I thought it was a pretty pointless movie with a fairly pathetic outlook on life. Unlimited intelligence to do whatever he wants and all he does is find women and try and make a load of money.

Did you miss the part where he decides to go into politics to make the world a better place?

Raide

Did you miss the part where he decides to go into politics to make the world a better place?

Hahahaha! So he could produce his wonder drug that lasts even longer? Did he need to become a genius crack-head to achieve that?

This movie was so weird for me. It had countless plot holes, a few plot threads that went nowhere (he killed the girl in the hotel, for christ's sake), and it constantly played the game of "Oh no! It looks like I'm completely out of this drug!.... Nah just kidding! I have yet ANOTHER secret stash over here!"

...Yet I was completely enthralled by it from beginning to end. I even noticed all those flaws as I was watching, but didn't care. I had absolutely no desire to even turn my head away from the screen.

So yeah, a sequel sounds good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom