• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

id Software pens open letter regarding the Doom Eternal OST and working with Mick Gordon

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Did you even read the article? If it's to be believed, Mick is the one that acted unprofessional and like a dick and he was the one that caused fire where there was none. He is bitching about not wanting to be a part of the OST becuase it wasnt him who edited those tracks in the end and he was unhappy but the ID guys gave him plenty of time and extensions to do it on his own. He couldnt make multiple deadlines and he still throws a bitch fit. As far as Im concerned, fuck Mick.
no fuck marty

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i know everyone loves Mick Gordon but have to be honest i don't see what's so special about him. it just sounds like generic metal. whoever they get surely can't do any worse.

Loke

That mick guy is one note anyway. Some good tracks in 2016 but in 2020 Doom, I liked ambiet music much more than fighting music. It's too much in Your face. it's obnoxious.

Kinda agree. "BFG Division" is a cool song though but it gets exhausting when you hear it blasting in your ears for a long period of time. I honestly prefer the ambient tracks from Quake 1; more memorable and easier on the ears.

Based on this Gordon is a fucking tool, and I'm perfectly fine with id replacing him with other artists. His music is good but nothing so special that couldn't be done by others. I feel really sorry for Chad, he got the worst out of this.

Deadlines were not met by mick. Even after he'd arranged for an extention, he didn't meet his deadline. Id worked with what they had to deliver a product promised to it's consumers.

This certainly paints the situation in a new light, and doesn't rely on a single sentence reply on sociial media and knee-jerk reactions from Mick fanboys. I'll be interested to see what he says about it in response, as i'd like to know what kind of complications he had delivering the material.

makaveli60

2-3 months to mix the OST plus a 6 weeks extension. id's guy mixed it in 2 weeks and delivered 4 times as many tracks. Imagine being that guy, going straight from crunch to finishing this soundtrack and then having angry redditors screaming at you.

The first part of the letter says that around E3 2019 there were "ongoing issues receiving the music we needed for the game ".
I like Mick's music but if this story is true then fuck this guy, seriously. Props to Chad!

megamerican

I love that Marty broke it down like this. If it was any less comprehensive people would just naturally take the side of the "poor fucked over artist" over the big corporation.

The original Doom and Quake games had amazing music as well, it's not as if Mick is the only composer in the world. I find a lot of his stuff grating after awhile anyways.

nowhat

There are many sides to any given story, but if this open letter by iD is true to at all, it is understandable why they wouldn't want to continue working with Mick Gordon.

But. There's one so ironic thing here that it must not be overlooked. We, as gamers or denizens of the Internet, usually root for the underdog. At the very least, usually large corporations like Bethesda (very much to a lesser extend iD) are on the receiving end for our dismay. And yet, if iD are the good guys here... we are effectively rooting for Chad.

K' Dash

no one is going to read that, good lord.

Then don't read it and leave the thread, how are you going to form an educated opinion about what transpired if you don't want to read a couple paragraphs?

How the fuck do people finish high school these days?

I appreciate the write up and hope to (somehow) see Mick on board for their future projects, because the fact that Doom was reborn successfully was because of that amazing soundtrack.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
Then don't read it and leave the thread, how are you going to form an educated opinion about what transpired if you don't want to read a couple paragraphs?

I appreciate the write up and hope to (somehow) see Mick on board for their future projects, because the fact that Doom was reborn successfully was because of that amazing soundtrack.
iu

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

Dont bump 8 month old threads if this is going to be your reply.

Hugare

Mick clearly fucked up

We didnt hear his side yet, but id seems to have the receipts (and the delays makes totals sense). They wouldnt lie about it, because if caught, their reputation would be fucked beyond belief.

The guys is a talented composer, but if you arent able to do your job on time, it really doesnt matter. Do your fucking job that you are getting paid to do.

Kacho

Gold Member
Yeah, pretty random necro. Was hoping for some new juicy details.

I started the Eternal DLC and the new music is decent. Andrew Hulshult is really making a name for himself. Still need to check out his work in Prodeus and Wrath: Aeon of Ruin

Last edited:

StormCell

This is the result of public perception being wildly different to reality.
Imagine being that EP, knowing the full story and details, THEN having your team cop a bashing from the public. No wonder he dropped the full timeline.
Yep, and imagine how the audio lead must feel and being the EP who is seeing all the trash responses directed at them.

I can honestly say that I have a lot more respect for Marty than I do for Mick.

Mick needed to be more transparent about his progress and ability to meet the deadline. It doesn't matter if it's personal or burn out. It could even be slacking. Just communicate. No one is at 100% all the time. Just let the business know what it needs to do to help you help them.

OrionNebula

Mick clearly fucked up

We didnt hear his side yet, but id seems to have the receipts (and the delays makes totals sense). They wouldnt lie about it, because if caught, their reputation would be fucked beyond belief.

Didn’t ID only reply because of Mick starting to go off on social medias?
I was under the impression he did It first, saying he’d never work for them again and all...

It’s funny, I was just checking for the Doom Eternal OST on itunes last week. Still not there for purchase (at least in Canada)...

borborygmus

Didn’t ID only reply because of Mick starting to go off on social medias?
I was under the impression he did It first, saying he’d never work for them again and all...

It’s funny, I was just checking for the Doom Eternal OST on itunes last week. Still not there for purchase (at least in Canada)...

Mick's problem was this:
At E3 last year, we announced that the OST would be included with the DOOM Eternal Collector’s Edition (CE) version of the game. At that point in time we didn’t have Mick under contract for the OST and because of ongoing issues receiving the music we needed for the game, did not want to add the distraction at that time.
This is the part that'd make Judge Judy shake her head. "[We] did not want to add the distraction at that time" is a weak excuse. They cornered him by announcing the OST like that. He couldn't really say "no" after that. But then his behavior later was also extremely unprofessional. Everyone involved in this should feel bad.

Last edited:

tassletine

If they wrote emails to him like that I'm not surprised he didn't get the work done.

And fuck them for washing their laundry in public. Smug, patronising bullshit masquerading as "truth".

As much a I like Mick's music, dude seems like an entitled prick.

This happens a lot with people that have something that can't be bought. Being really good at something takes time. patience and often a natural aptitude. People get a big head sometimes because they know that talent like theirs is hard to come by.

Makes me appreciate the fact that I have no talents. Pretty hard to get a big head when you suck at everything you do. This is the way.

Patrick S.

Banned
This happens a lot with people that have something that can't be bought. Being really good at something takes time. patience and often a natural aptitude. People get a big head sometimes because they know that talent like theirs is hard to come by.

Makes me appreciate the fact that I have no talents. Pretty hard to get a big head when you suck at everything you do. This is the way.
This isn't the tag begging thread :messenger_grinning_sweat:

StormCell

I can empathize with artists. Sometimes the creativity just runs dry. Sometimes the desire just isn't there.

Everyone ought to know that paying for an artist to create something for you carries risk.

Orpheum

Damn, what chad did in such a short timefrane is impressive to say the least.

I'm writing music myself and my mates and i are doing production stuff together so i'm geniunely impressed by chads work. Shits not easy

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Sad outcome. Seems a piece of the story is missing. Mick is an amazing composer. My guess is life issues or other circumstances prevented success.

As much as I love Andrew's work, 1 hour into The Ancient Gods I was dearly missing Mick.

I really really hope they're able to patch up the relationship for the next DOOM title. This is no knock on Andrew, I love DUSK and all his work, but Mick is an integral part of the new DOOM series.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
More like as we have recently seen via Micks own statement is that ID Software leadership (specifically Marty Stratton) is garbage tier at best.

This is certainly a picture that looks plausible. Unfortunately.

I doubt this would've happened under John Carmack. Met him a few times and he seemed absolutely delightful.

Alebrije

Team Mick here...

Bethesda is has a bag filled with lies from recent years ...

Mick has a great record and even the Doom Ethernal soundtrack is great.

Anyone who hasn't read both full accounts doesn't get to pick a side, or even form an opinion in this! How lazy can you be? Siding with a truth you don't even know to exist.

Who's right/wrong here? Perhaps, both parties are guilty of both. But, clearly, someone is twisting the truth, a bit. But who? I guess we might never truly know. But if id is to be believed, Marty shaked on his responsibility, and got mad when he couldn't deliver, and id's team took it upon themselves to do what they must. Sigh

Griffon

Mick's answer is full of actual receipts (while Bethesda's statements have absolutely none).

Besides, it's Bethesda we're talking about, the same douchebag company that fucked over Human Head studio and Prey 2. Stealing wages and gaslighting contractors is their modus operandi.

Last edited:
Top Bottom