• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Idea Regulated Internet - What Does it Look Like?

Singular7

Jan 9, 2018
I've been professionally coding since 1997; I'm sure many/most of you are in the sector as well. I personally have thoroughly enjoyed the "wild west" free mind version of the internet.

IF the internet becomes a "thought regulated" environment, to the point of blocking domain registration / DNS of sites that don't comply, what does it look like 10 years out?

Does the internet become a digital version of your local strip mall?

Do sites with an unregulated interchange of ideas go away?

Who will run verification process for domain registration now that ICANN is outside US jurisdiction?

Last edited:

Singular7

Jan 9, 2018
remember gaf befor the split. Like that.
It's been awhile, but I recall a strict set of rules that seemed to be enforced for some and not others.

Is that what you're suggesting?

Humans tend to get around road blocks, so does a new backbone DNS form that is unregulated? Seems like the next phase of this will be blocking DNS lookups like China tried 10 years ago.

Last edited:

Monkeygourmet

Jul 8, 2019

Singular7

Jan 9, 2018
yer looking at it

I read a book decades ago, forgot the name, but something along the lines of "trends of revolution"...

A pattern was "discovered" that idea revolutions become exponential because participants engage in gamesmanship wars of dedication to the revolution, which push the policies to the extreme.

(compare Russia 1917 to 1954)

Point: We've only just begun. The exponentiation principle suggests significant changes of how the internet expresses itself are ahead.

If we're going to theorycraft where internet censorship goes, what does it look like?

Only Amazon allowed to sell online?
DNS registration only for 'approved' citizens?

The big one: REAL ID to logon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tesseract

O.v.e.rlord

Oct 8, 2014
It's been awhile, but I recall a strict set of rules that seemed to be enforced for some and not others.

Is that what you're suggesting?

Humans tend to get around road blocks, so does a new backbone DNS form that is unregulated? Seems like the next phase of this will be blocking DNS lookups like China tried 10 years ago.
Back before this site was shit. There was a hive mind mentality, where if you did not tow the line, you were banned for wrong think and banished. Some other poster already pointed out that we are experiencing the same thing right now. I would have to agree. If you are guilty of wrong think you are banished, your money is taken away, and life ruined.

Amiga

Jul 8, 2020
you can't really "thought regulate" the internet. maybe monopolize influence over the average masses. smarter people will search the open internet like what used o be done before the advent of social media.

Singular7

Jan 9, 2018
you can't really "thought regulate" the internet. maybe monopolize influence over the average masses. smarter people will search the open internet like what used o be done before the advent of social media.

What about domain registration censorship? Or just revoking registration if your site contains ideas that go against the official algos?

(which would be extremely easy to do)

My idea: blockchain DNS

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Sep 2, 2007
yer looking at it

Consolidation of activity into the largest websites pretty much sealed the deal.

It’s a big internet but at the same time it also isn’t very big at all when people have a habit of only visiting a handful of sites every day.

If Reddit, Google/YouTube, Apple, Facebook/Instagram, and Twitter want to get on the same page then you’ve controlled speech for most US users before you even begin talking about content hosting from Microsoft and AWS.

So that means even a well regulated internet looks pretty similar in 10 years because there are already a very limited number of platforms.

Taxexemption

Oct 11, 2011
I won't point to a particular case, but domain registration censorship has already happened. Personally I care more about payment processors boycotting people, but I can see how both are an issue. I won't name any particular cases for either of these, as most of the people being banned now are fringe political figures, but in the future if it becomes more mainstream everyone will know about this.

Singular7

Jan 9, 2018
I won't point to a particular case, but domain registration censorship has already happened. Personally I care more about payment processors boycotting people, but I can see how both are an issue. I won't name any particular cases for either of these, as most of the people being banned now are fringe political figures, but in the future if it becomes more mainstream everyone will know about this.

"They" will kill crypto because of this.

Once SWIFT blocks transactions from undesirables, crypto will be the solution.

Then it will be taken out. Long ETH and BTC for now, but expect destruction within 5 years.

Last edited: