• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ideally I would NOT want Sony to try and compete with MS in regards to Game Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony has been successful @ videogames since the PSX and it would be a shame if they tried to "keep up with the Jonses" and offer their own version of Game Pass. I enjoy the idea that Sony and MS can both do well this gen while having different business models, because it makes each one valid in their own way. Sony will always have the kinds of exclusives that compete for yearly titles, are rated highly, etc; while MS may eventually get there with their studio acquisitions, I really do prefer the idea of the Xbox being the Game Pass box, where I can play a litany of games and try new ones I'd have not otherwise given the time of day. I believe what makes each company special is their different approach to gaming, and it would be a disservice to gamers if parity is what we ended up with.

Carna

Banned
they already have psnow, the problem is though. the internet connection on that service doesn't work well for most people using it.

they already have psnow, the problem is though. the internet connection on that service doesn't work well for most people using it.
PSNow, xCloud, Stadia, etc --- those are all cool services but they are NOT replacements for dedicated boxes in front of a television or monitor, for most people. Those services work best as a secondary means to consume videogames, at least right now.

Three

PSNow, xCloud, Stadia, etc --- those are all cool services but they are NOT replacements for dedicated boxes in front of a television or monitor, for most people. Those services work best as a secondary means to consume videogames, at least right now.

Guys PSNow allows you to download games just like Gamepass. The problem is that they don't release their games there day one. I'm OK with this as it means they can still make great games that aren't focused on GaaS, sell them successfully then offer it on PSNow later for those who don't buy games.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

thats a good take you have OP , sony should stick to what it does best , and regarding gamepass does it bleed cash for microsoft?

Markio128

If it ain’t broke…. Seriously though, let MS do their own thing because it is clearly what their fans want. Different options are good and competition would not exist if everybody did the same thing.

Ultimately games that Sony makes wouldnt make sense for a PlayPass (I have it traademarked dont even try me). They dont consume enough time out of your life. Games like Returnal, Skyrim, “games as service“, and multiplayer games would be the go tos.

CitizenZ

Banned
You will not be running a business any time soon. PS has a DEEEEEPPPPPP bench of popular AF franchises and over 100 million PS4 owners. They would obliterate competition if they did the same as what MS has done with GP.

Game Pass is also a secondary means to consume videogames. The primary way of consuming games is buying them physical or digital. Subscription services, rental services, wether it's downloadable, rotative, fixed, streamed or whatever other method of delivery they may use, they are ALL secondary to PAY to OWN what you play (even if a license).

nerdface

Banned
I have to agree with the OP. Once sony tries, there will be competition for exclusive game pass releases. Money hats start getting passed around, and battle lines drawn. I'd rather everything just go to one service-like platform.

Besides, how does the load time argument work if their game pass has to finish installing before the 'start counting' load times. It's the big selling point of the PS5, but everything has to be installed and all ready to go before we can start the stopwatch.

Microsoft isn't making any money from Game Pass...did you read their recent financial report? So what if they reached 23 million subscribers or whatever? Why is it then they won't disclose their profits? They only talk about revenue, show you the figures that paint the story best for them. Growth over a year with a dead console compared to a year when they launched two consoles no kidding you'll see a huge improvement. But how about the numbers? How about profit? No such thing. Because it's either embarrassing or most likely they're negative, deep in the red. So don't worry about Sony, they won't have to play catch up at all, because soon rather than later there won't even be this hypothetical thing you think they have to keep up with.

kretos

Banned
Can the mods please make a mega thread for gamepass instead of a thread every 2 mins so i can ignore it? i'm sick of this shit

NauticalWeeklyGossamerwingedbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Yep. I have no problem with Sony sticking to their prestige worldwide approach of a hefty handful of AAA exclusives a year.

That said if data caps became a thing of the past for most customers (say through regulation or what not of ISP's) I bet PS Now would suddenly seem a lot more attractive to a lot more people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom