• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs Megathread | Indepth discussion inbetween horsebags and birdsounds

Boem

So, I've been catching up on Thumbs, and I just heard Chris/Nicks shitbag story. And yes, I also heard that before. Apparently I'm not the only one, looking at this thread, but I'm pretty sure I heard Jeff Davis (from Whose Line Is It Anyway) tell that story on Harmontown years ago.

I talked about this with a friend and he also knew the story, although he heard it from a colleague. In the Netherlands, where we live.

So, the question remains: were there ever real shitbags? Or did someone make it up somewhere and miss out on what would apparently have been an amazing book deal or movie series, given the popularity of that story.

Get on the case detective thumbs.

Edit: I'm so happy this post is at the top of a new page.

so1337

Does anyone know where one can find the dumb Wizard Jam rap song (featuring Jake repeatedly uttering the Wizard Jam URL in various configurations) that Chris made?

It SICKENS me that it doesn't seem to be available in isolated form.

demidar

Wizard Dash Jam.

WIZARD.

I can't remember which episode it's tacked on at the end, but I do know it involves itch dot i o

jediyoshi

I was going to point out the glaring omission of Fark from the old internet sites that never updated list, but it looks like they rejiggered their website at some point.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
did nick every say the thing that was bugging him about zelda that he was holding back on?

dLMN8R

I think the Zelda recipe thiing was a misunderstanding :-(

I wish there was a list somewhere in the UI showing you all the recipes you've found, but the only thing in the game somewhat like this is much more limited - you can select any cooked food currently in your inventory, and it'll tell you the recipe for that thing.

Jake

I think the Zelda recipe thiing was a misunderstanding :-(

I wish there was a list somewhere in the UI showing you all the recipes you've found, but the only thing in the game somewhat like this is much more limited - you can select any cooked food currently in your inventory, and it'll tell you the recipe for that thing.

Oh shit that is correct, I'm pretty certain.

I initially really wanted a recipe thing but lost the desire once I internalized different ingredient types and which dishes they make. I'm sure I'm leaving a lot of potential behind because of this, but I find that I can generally make the things I want now by going to places I remember have certain types of ingredients, stocking up, and then cooking them.

fallout

On the subject of CRISPR, this RadioLab episode is fantastic:

http://www.radiolab.org/story/update-crispr/

The part where they start talking about gene drives actually forced me to stop listening for a minute and ponder the possibilities and consequences of such a technology.

Basically:
Instead of using CRISPR "manually", just put CRISPR into the genes and you'll have baked-in CRISPR.

The part where they start talking about gene drives actually forced me to stop listening for a minute and ponder the possibilities and consequences of such a technology.

Basically:
Instead of using CRISPR "manually", just put CRISPR into the genes and you'll have baked-in CRISPR.

I work with the previous/current generation of genetic modification, and we kind of already do gene driven modification in our animal models. Currently we breed in two genetic constructs, one located at a gene(usually one active in tissue/organ of interest)that we want to drive the modifying enzyme and another that acts as a targeting sequence for the gene of interest that we want to modify. The process of setting this up takes a while (multiple generations of animals after the initial genetic insertion is done) and is inefficient, which is why crispr is great for us.

Rufus

I work with the previous/current generation of genetic modification, and we kind of already do gene driven modification in our animal models. Currently we breed in two genetic constructs, one located at a gene(usually one active in tissue/organ of interest)that we want to drive the modifying enzyme and another that acts as a targeting sequence for the gene of interest that we want to modify. The process of setting this up takes a while (multiple generations of animals after the initial genetic insertion is done) and is inefficient, which is why crispr is great for us.
Oh, excellent! While you're here, let me ask a silly question about the very, very distant future with regard to gene manipulation: can a gene become too long to be replicated naturally?

dLMN8R

Oh shit that is correct, I'm pretty certain.

I initially really wanted a recipe thing but lost the desire once I internalized different ingredient types and which dishes they make. I'm sure I'm leaving a lot of potential behind because of this, but I find that I can generally make the things I want now by going to places I remember have certain types of ingredients, stocking up, and then cooking them.

Yeah, and I've gotten super lazy with it too.

Basically, I just take the ingredients that boost your max HP or max stamina. Since boosting your max <x> also means completely refilling <x>, I just cook one of those things for instant potions / foods that completely refill the thing. Almost feels like cheating.

Oh, excellent! While you're here, let me ask a silly question about the very, very distant future with regard to gene manipulation: can a gene become too long to be replicated naturally?

By replicated do you mean copied or transcribed?

When cells divide their entire genomes are copied (dna replication), There is some theorizing that there are physical limits or advantages to an efficient genome size, but there are other organisms with much larger genomes than humans. Introducing a massive gene into the genome would likely have little effect in the ability of the genome to replicate.

Transcription is the process by which genes(DNA) are converted to RNA which is translated to proteins, which are (mainly) what do things in your cells. There could be some issue with a massive gene getting transcribed properly, the largest human gene transcript takes approximately 16 hrs just to be read from DNA to RNA. So transcription of huge stuff takes a while, based on the largest transcript approx 3.4 megabases(a megabase is 1 million nucleotide bases, aka the building blocks of DNA)/day. That would mean anything too long would take forever to actually be made into a protein.

fallout

Cool! I don't know why I didn't ever consider it as a possibility with previous techniques. Granted, I hadn't really thought much about genetic modification until CRISPR started being talked about everywhere.

demidar

Well Chris and Jake and Nick always say that the best way to make Idle Thumbs more popular is to tell your friends and family.

Time to demand a free t-shirt.

jediyoshi

At the intersection of developers playing breath of the wild, thought you guys would find Jonathan Blow playing it interesting https://www.twitch.tv/videos/154447537

He basically hates it. 4 hours in, found everything boring and the game design poor. Thinks the map is overly large and empty. Doesn't like the runes. Doesn't like the climbing. Doesn't like the temperature mechanics. Doesn't like the controls. Finds looting boring. Doesn't like its cutscenes of any length. Finds the non-diegetic sound effects like puzzle solving patronizing. Doesn't like the minimalist approach and would rather things like the great plateau explicitly tell you you can't leave.

I think someone in the chat put it well, watching him play breath of the wild is probably similar to him watching a lot of people play a puzzle game like the witness.

It's weird that someone who made something as complex as the Witness is so absolutely terrible at interpreting game logic. It's like he literally has never played a game before. It sort of pisses me off. It's like an amazing author being illiterate.

Also, it's really interesting we live in an age that lets us actually see how a critic played a game. So we can look at what they said and what they're doing and conclude that, oh, your game design acumen hasn't actually granted you some unique insight. You're just some guy with a stream who blows at this game.

jediyoshi

It's funny, I've never watched his streams before and for the first 20 minutes genuinely thought he was doing some sort of parody of a clueless playtester or AVGN commentary.

Boem

Is it okay to post about the Twin Peaks Rewatch podcast here? It's really good and I don't think they have their own thread.

Anyway, Jake/Chris: I just caught up this week with both the show and the podcast (right as the show is on a break, but after the last weeks of insanity that might be a good thing for a bit).

I'm not smart enough to really partake significantly in the listener conversations, but I just wanted to show my gratitude with this bombshell of a revelation in regards to the most recent episode:

h414s29axa6z.png

Feel free to spend and hour the next episode discussing the implications of all this.
It's significant (obviously!) that Dick saying that line leading to the sprinklers going off and Bob leaving Leland, and that the Woodsmen, now famous for the same line, also removed Bob from Bad Coop (I think, who the hell knows what actually happened).

I'll leave the rest up to you guys. Thanks for the hours of entertainment and I'm looking forward to following the rest live along with you guys. It's been insane so far, and probably my favorite tv experience in ages. Maybe forever.

Edit: Actually, I did have a thought I'd like to send in an e-mail. First time I ever did that. I'll include the bit above so you'll know where it's coming from, but don't worry too much about having to read it on air. I'm sure there are much smarter people writing in.

Edit2: Looking for the e-mail address I can see I'm way behind and you guys already tweeted that pic. Sorry about that.

thenexus6

I only just caught episode eight of Twin Peaks last night. Can not wait to listen to the Rewatch for it today.

Call for help indeed...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The ruination casts are the best. I lost it on the train last night.

Brakke

Banned
It's time for another issue of Senpai Noticed Me, a Sean Vanaman fanzine documenting Sean's quest to become friends with the Obama boys over at Crooked Media.

Today, Sean-kun was noticed by Tommy Vietor! I appreciate Sean's strategy here. The obvious play would be to use John Lovett -- who actually knows about video games -- as the way in. But Sean's set his sights on Favreau and Vietor so far.

Eventually, one of them will say "who's this Sean Vanaman guy anyway?" out loud at the office and then maybe Lovett pipes up and says "oh I heard of that guy" and ends up accidentally vouching for Sean. A bold strategy, let's hope it pays off.

For more newsblasts and fanfics focused on the world of popular 30-something white dude podcasters, please subscribe to my newsletter.

orient

Neo Member
I fell off IIT around ep 5 and have struggled to find time for it in my pod rotation. Shame, but I still get my fair share of Thumbs via Idle Thumbs and Twin Peaks Rewatch, the latter of which is my go-to source for season three commentary.

I'm just loving the new season of Twin Peaks. I enjoyed the previous seasons, even most of season two (so maybe I'm easily pleased...although I have no tolerance for other "bad" shows so I don't think so) but this season has just been so captivating. Maybe I'd feel differently if I watched the original run and had been literally waiting for 25 years for this...but I doubt it.

Top Bottom