• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs Reborn as Podcast; Stars Chris Remo, Nick Breckon, and Jake Rodkin

Alex P

Throw away your bifocals and burn your books. Why rely on reading comprehension when you can sit on your ass and listen to us talk? Idle Thumbs is back, now with 100% fewer articles, and we've been hitting the press and preview events just for you.

Games discussed: Fallout 3, Mega-Man 9, Gears of War 2, Wario Land: Shake It!

http://www.idlethumbs.net/

yaris.jpg

REMO APPROVED!

Mrbob

Listened to this today, enjoyed the podcast.

Gears 2 sounds like a really safe sequel.

Remo you sound like Chicago Bears beat reporter Zach Zaidman.

Mrbob said:
Listened to this today, enjoyed the podcast.

Gears 2 sounds like a really safe sequel.

Remo you sound like Chicago Bears beat reporter Zach Zaidman.
Thanks! I don't know who that is but I will take it as a vaguely positive comparison.

(Also, to Alex P: I don't know how that image still has so much staying power. It's well over a year old at this point. Goddamn it!)

sammyjojo said:
I thought it was great, do you guys have a plan for how often you'll doing them?
Weekly. We're going to be pretty hard on ourselves to keep that schedule. Next recording session is tomorrow, with Nick back fresh from BlizzCon, and I'm trying to get a song written. Teaser title: "The Fanboy's Lament."

DaFish

Liked the podcast a lot... Chris you remind me of Kevin Smith (the cool Kevin Smith not when he did Jersey Girl)

Keep it up!!

Listened last night, you guys had excellent impressions on all of the things you covered, I'll definitely be checking this out again next week--hopefully by then you'll be able to talk real smack about Gears 2. Please, convince my brain that its not worth the purchase--I know I won't play multiplayer and I'll get bored of the SP quickly, yet I'm still tempted to buy it. Saturate me with how not-that-different-from-the-first it will be please!!!

Thanks for the kind words guys--listenership is still small of course, but it's nice to see that feedback is so positive already.

We're actually recording the next episode tomorrow so it should be up on Wednesday. This was last week's episode.

The "studio":

idlethumbsstudio.jpg

Alex P

Episode 2 available now wherever videogame podcasts are sold!

Tokyo Game Show and BlizzCon may be over, but they live on in our hearts, and our podcast. Stay awhile and listen for hands-on reports, commentary, and the heart-rending ballad of a once-proud console warrior. This episode probably not sponsored by Gamer Grub.

Games discussed: Diablo III, Starcraft II, LittleBigPlanet, Fable II, World of Goo, Hinterlands, Scene It? Box Office Smash, Gears of War 2.

woxel1 said:
Thank you so much for bringing back "Thumbs," in pod form or otherwise.
You're welcome!

Also, this may be of interest to GAF:
For this week's episode, I wrote and recorded a ballad from the perspective of a broken-hearted console warrior lamenting the no-longer-exclusive status of his favorite game, inspired by a crazy Tekken 6 thread I saw on some blog.

Alex P

Joseph Merrick said:
ok this is awesome

did you catch the terrible A SPONGE shackcasts by chance, remo? thoughts? hehe

Don't you ever disrespect A Sponge again.

With that said, I didn't know she ever did a Shackcast?

Alex P said:
Don't you ever disrespect A Sponge again.

With that said, I didn't know she ever did a Shackcast?
worst shit ever. it's four casts or something, the s2 of shackcast. download this stuff dood. and then kill yourself in shame for talking like that to me. your world is about to fall apart. a sponge is absolutely horrible

You bastards, not only do you ridicule my mess of a post, you also do nothing to keep my $60 away from Epic. You're lucky that exclusivity song was pretty awesome, otherwise I'd be pissed. :D

MaritalWheat said:
You bastards, not only do you ridicule my mess of a post, you also do nothing to keep my $60 away from Epic. You're lucky that exclusivity song was pretty awesome, otherwise I'd be pissed. :D
Haha, sorry man. I literally laughed aloud when I saw your post right now--looking back at your original one, clearly my brain train jumped off the rails or something when I was reading it on-air.

Nick should be able to talk all he wants about single-player next week, if you can hold out that long!

Nick should be able to talk all he wants about single-player next week, if you can hold out that long!

LIES!

Good show anyway. ULTRABOOST

singularity said:

LIES!

Good show anyway. ULTRABOOST
For some reason I totally thought the embargo was up this week. :(

(edit: new episode up just so people are aware, since we seem to be using a neverending zombie thread every week)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
this is a fantastic podcast. people should listen to it.

don't worry about the slow thread initially; it just takes a while to get people to latch on to new podcasts around here. once word gets out, it'll be alive and kickin', as it deserves love and attention. thanks for the hard work, guys.

beelzebozo said:
this is a fantastic podcast. people should listen to it.

don't worry about the slow thread initially; it just takes a while to get people to latch on to new podcasts around here. once word gets out, it'll be alive and kickin', as it deserves love and attention. thanks for the hard work, guys.
Thanks! And yeah I know it'll take us a while to gain traction--it's tough promoting something essentially from scratch, especially when there are a million billion other gaming podcasts around. I'm pretty confident in the quality of this one though.

I'm officially your official viral marketer (see: Giant Bomb thread this week. That's right, I take it directly to the competition!)
Speaking of Giant Bomb, after valiantly F5'ing Idle Thumbs for about an hour last night, the bombcast came out so I went with that for Tuesday listening--do you guys put this up Tuesday nights or should I not expect Thumbs until Wednesday?

Haha, thanks man.

We record Tuesday nights, so the podcast effectively goes up Wednesday morning. This week it was really, really early morning, but it's logistically nearly impossible for us to post it when it's still technically Tuesday. It takes a few hours to edit, compress, update the site, etc. It's not a very automated process (yet).

(Next week we'll have to release on a different day because Nick will be out of town; it'll come out either Tuesday morning or Friday morning, we haven't figured it out yet.)

Alex P

New episode!

We're a day early and possibly still a dollar short. Weeks of Fallout 3 coverage culminate with Nick's full completion-informed opinions. (Mutants allowed.) Chris and Jake dive into the polarizing world of Far Cry 2, and Fable 2's bizarre romances are set to heart-wrenching song. Join us, for this relatively subdued cast. To your face.

Games discussed: Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Dead Space, Empire: Total War (maybe)

Direct: http://www.idlethumbs.net/podcast/idlethumbs_081028.mp3

Jake

Probably the most recent episode, as Nick had completed the game and written his review for Shacknews within hours of us recording. That said, check out the previous episode as well, maybe. Just because.

Zeliard

Jake said:
Probably the most recent episode, as Nick had completed the game and written his review for Shacknews within hours of us recording. That said, check out the previous episode as well, maybe. Just because.

I'll check them all out within the next few days. I like listening to podcasts at work, and I've been looking for more quality gaming podcasts.

Zeliard said:
I'll check them all out within the next few days. I like listening to podcasts at work, and I've been looking for more quality gaming podcasts.
This latest one is sort of unusual. Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 are discussed for quite a while, whereas past weeks have moved more quickly from topic to topic. We'll probably be more in that format going forward; this week was unusual in that we wanted to dedicate a lot of time to Fallout, since our episode went up right as the embargo lifted.

this is a great podcast that i have been following and will continue to follow. The guys are genuinely funny.

blockin my dots..

Alex P

Idle The Umbs: Episode 5

This week, Nick was left for dead at Valve's offices where he played some kind of video game, Chris and Jake have experienced what's so amazing about LittleBigPlanet, and we keep attempting to cajole you into playing Far Cry 2. Plus: Will Gears of War 2 blow you away? We investigate. There may be a wizard.

Games discussed: Left 4 Dead, Elemental: War of Magic, Gears of War 2, Far Cry 2, LittleBigPlanet, Empire Total War, Diablo III

MaritalWheat said:
We finally address this. You'll probably like the answer.

Chris Remo said:
We finally address this. You'll probably like the answer.
Christ, I'll listen, I'll listen...
I've got a new carrot you guys can dangle in front of me now though...any idea when one might expect to get something on Dawn of War II or CoH: Tales of Valor out of such a genre-defining podcast as this?

Ifrit

Just wanted to say that I really enjoy this podcast, the Fable 2 song was great :lol

Chris should really give Megaman 9 a second chance, the game's not that hard. You can actually abuse the shop system if you feel like it

I'll listen to the new episode tomorrow

This is a great little show you guys got running here, good chemistry, GAF presence, PC talk (and not just new shit!), keep it up!

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
great podcast duuuuuuds. It's all about chemistry and your shit is sizzlin'.

Ifrit said:
Just wanted to say that I really enjoy this podcast, the Fable 2 song was great :lol

Chris should really give Megaman 9 a second chance, the game's not that hard. You can actually abuse the shop system if you feel like it

I'll listen to the new episode tomorrow
Yeah I really like Mega Man 9 despite it making me cry, so I'll probably give it another shot. I will abuse the shit out of the shop.

Alex P

Idle The Umbs: Episode 6

Your old Xbox is about to become your new Xbox, but that might mean you just start using your Netflix account again. Special guest Brad Shoemaker of Giant Bomb gently guides us through the minefield of this week's industry scandals, helps us finally close the book on Far Cry 2, and rekindles our love of J. Allard.

Games discussed: Rock Band 2 ION Drum Rocker, Far Cry 2, Left 4 Dead, Space Giraffe, New Xbox Experience

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
hell yeah. i just got around to listening to ep. 5 today.

chris: as far as promoting your podcast goes, one fantastic way to get new subscribers is to be a guest on another, already established podcast. i've found tons of new podcasts this way, after enjoying someone as a guest on 1up yours/filmspotting/etc.

Woah, Brad's on? Neato, a sexy bass tone was all this podcast needed. Also, thanks for saving me my $60, I rented Gears 2 and did not get 'blown away' as predicted. Fuck you IGN or whoever would lie to me like that :(

beelzebozo said:
hell yeah. i just got around to listening to ep. 5 today.

chris: as far as promoting your podcast goes, one fantastic way to get new subscribers is to be a guest on another, already established podcast. i've found tons of new podcasts this way, after enjoying someone as a guest on 1up yours/filmspotting/etc.
Shit, we did it the wrong way. We had Brad from Giant Bomb on ours this week.

I have no idea how to get on another podcast! Maybe I can go onto Giant Bomb some time.

Alex P

singularity said:
Recent one was really good and more people need to listen to it because it was really good so I hope more people listen to it.

Stop pulling shit out of your ass.

(I wish fourzerotwo would post in this thread)

Top Bottom