• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs Reborn as Podcast; Stars Chris Remo, Nick Breckon, and Jake Rodkin

Jake

MaritalWheat said:
Neat, just dropping in for my usual bump seeing as this shit deserves it. Just noticed all the songs are up on the site seperately too, awesome. :lol
Btw, any reason for the relatively crappy D/L speeds for these lately, or is it just me?

I don't know for sure, but I think that as readership goes up (especially RSS-using readership), the first hour or two is relatively painful on our server, when everyone's feed readers are pulling the file at once.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Jake said:
I don't know for sure, but I think that as readership goes up (especially RSS-using readership), the first hour or two is relatively painful on our server, when everyone's feed readers are pulling the file at once.
30kbps say you're right.

Haeleos

New episode is up.

December 4, 2008

"Green Lantern is the Blindfolded Fool"

Idle Thumbs U.S. returns from vacation fists a'swingin, battering you senseless with tales of lives reconsidered (and rewound), friends (lists) lost, and having to sit and watch someone else really suck (at your favorite game).

Games discussed: Brothers in Arms (iPhone), Fieldrunners, Tony Hawk 10, Mortal Kombat vs. D.C. Universe, Braid, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Grand Theft Auto IV PC... Fallout 3

Direct Download http://www.idlethumbs.net/podcast/idlethumbs_081204.mp3

God I love all the different ways of getting to the site, I was surfing the Idle Thumbs forums trying to find a collection of all of the different portals to it after the 'vigivigivigi' story and apparently www.eightbitcock.com works too. :lol :lol

Edit:
Mar_ said:
Ok, eightbitcock.com sold me. Downloading to my iphone as I type this.
Looks like this is the direction you need to take the show in. :D
(From this thread, you've got some good marketers in there.
(Yes I am referring to myself mostly)

Jake

MaritalWheat said:
God I love all the different ways of getting to the site, I was surfing the Idle Thumbs forums trying to find a collection of all of the different portals to it after the 'vigivigivigi' story and apparently www.eightbitcock.com works too. :lol :lol

I think there is...

www.idlethumbs.net
www.idlethumbs.com
www.videogamesvideogamesvideogames.com
www.strategychocolate.biz
www.vigivigivigi.com
www.explode-mode.com
www.eightbitcock.com

... there may be more but they are unknown to me right now.

fourzerotwo said:
I approve of this podcast.

I'm loving this awesome new era of podcasts that don't suck! GiantBombcast, IdleThumbs = Win.
Considering I wrote a song from your perspective without your permission, I am glad you approve!

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
wow, these guys didn't know shit about the original Fallout. j/k:lol When they were talking about random encounters I wanted to interrupt.:lol
fun listen though!

I subscribed.

Staccat0 said:
wow, these guys didn't know shit about the original Fallout. j/k:lol When they were talking about random encounters I wanted to interrupt.:lol
fun listen though!

I subscribed.
It's just been quite a few years at this point :D

Thanks for subscribing!

Knox

+1 subscription.

Listened to a couple episodes after seeing it linked in the LAN party thread. I've been looking for different podcasts to fill the GFW void and this is probably the best I've found so far. Fans of The Brodeo should check it out.

Knox said:
+1 subscription.

Listened to a couple episodes after seeing it linked in the LAN party thread. I've been looking for different podcasts to fill the GFW void and this is probably the best I've found so far. Fans of The Brodeo should check it out.
Thanks man. GFW was really the only gaming podcast I've ever listened to regularly so that's a pretty positive comparison for me.

Chris Remo said:
Thanks man. GFW was really the only gaming podcast I've ever listened to regularly so that's a pretty positive comparison for me.

What!? You don't listen to Played Podcast Chris? ;)

Idle Thumbs is growing on me but Played is still admittedly my favorite gaming podcast, slightly edging 1UpYours. You, Mark, and Elizabeth have terrific chemistry...just wish you guys recorded more regularly.

jon_irenicus said:

Idle Thumbs is growing on me but Played is still admittedly my favorite gaming podcast, slightly edging 1UpYours. You, Mark, and Elizabeth have terrific chemistry...just wish you guys recorded more regularly.
Recording these damn things takes so much time that I rarely have the fortitude to go listen to them all over again after we're all done!

Ifrit

jon_irenicus said:

Yep, played is probably my favorite too. I hope we get a new episode soon

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
beelzebozo said:
this is a fantastic podcast. people should listen to it.

don't worry about the slow thread initially; it just takes a while to get people to latch on to new podcasts around here. once word gets out, it'll be alive and kickin', as it deserves love and attention. thanks for the hard work, guys.

True. I am a new listener and while I am not 100% sold just yet, it does seem to be going in that direction. From discussions going on in some other podcast thread I would say that Sore Idle (sry) Thumb's is just about to hit its tipping point on gaf.

I did very much enjoy the most recent episode. Good luck on future podcasts and keeping the fans happy. I will be there listening along with others and, inevitably, revolting with them when the show is no longer as good as it used to be!

Akia

reposted here from last week's lan party thread:

Holy crap, I just listened to Idle Thumbs for the first time (started with Episode 8). I decieded to take the plunge after all the positive impressions I've read on QT3 and in this thread. I'm really impressed by it. The show's chemistry, humor and their ability to nonchalantly weave from off/in topic discussions totally caught me off guard. The production values (no skype!) are top notch and they don't filter out any expletives. The fact that they recorded episode 8 twice after tossing their first full recording really gave off an awesome first impression.

Yeah, this (and LAN Party for obvious reasons) are the most Brodeo-like of all the gaming podcasts I've listened to so far. That's like the best complement a podcast can receive by the way (especially since Idle Thumbs doesn't have the luxury of having Max Chill/Chuff/Ryan). Not to mention, that since Remo is on it I'm pretty sure there is going to be some intelligent PC gaming discussion to look forward too.

Its going to take a couple of weeks to decide if Episode 8 was just a fluke episode or not though. But for now I'm liking what I'm hearing. Idle Thumbs could end up a totally awesome safe haven for the large population of Brodeo refugees.

My only worry is that since Idle Thumbs is relatively new show that they might get stale after awhile. The Brodeo was on for 2 years and 1UPYours is on its 3rd year now. Both podcasts have been entertaining and they really managed to keep me entertained. I don't even know whose voice is who on Idle Thumbs yet. But when I do and its half a year later will is still find the show entertaining?

really love this podcasts. i love that they laugh all the time because it makes me laugh at how silly they are :lol

needs more dot-blockin' though

jax (old)

Banned
what a dumb podcast. I stopped it because all I could hear was some guy laughing. It wasn't even that funny. laugh at everything. constant. bleh.

Sanjay

Started listening to Idle Thumbs since the last Lan party podcast for obvious reasons. Podcast 8 was good and funny, going to try listen to the other 7 that I missed if I can be bothered.

ice cream

Banned
This was my first episode of Idle Thumbs, and WOW its so good. Great job guys, as good as the 1UP and giant bomb podcasts, imo.

tino

Banned
I listen to a couple episodes, I probably like it better than POP.

Right now I listen to the 1up stuff, then CAG and Bomb, and then whatever.

CheapyD is a very obvious Sony hater but I like the chemstry of the two and that make the show pretty listenable. It's like Buzz Out Loud, those poeple are pretty uninformative gadget hosts but their dynamic and the readers feedback make the show work for me.

TTG

Wow, I'm really glad I gave this podcast a try. The songs are hilarious and overall the sense of humor is very sharp and there's actually some in depth discussion of games from people who know what they're talking about... who would of thought that would be a rare thing among gaming podcasts. It almost feels like a spiritual successor to GFW(I say successor because I discovered this one after GFW closed down, I don't really know who was first or anything)

Oh and one more thing, I appreciate the knowledge about the developers behind these games. It's a side you almost never get to hear about outside of the 5 to 10 well known guys that you see mentioned on GAF everyday.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ordered Rogue Leaders; didn't know about it before the podcast. Only $38 on Amazon right now for those interested. Gaming needs more good coffee-table books. Supercade was a big disappointment in this regard. High Score is probably the best for the quality of the pictures, but the print quality on the book itself is pretty poor unfortunately. Hope Rogue Leaders takes the throne.

Well, this is in response to a comment in the LAN party thread but I feel bad about further Thumbing up in thar so I'll say it in here: keep the laughter. Its infectious, and listening to a podcast where the hosts are having fun is so much better then otherwise. In either case, it hasn't gotten obnoxious yet and the more serious discussions haven't suffered from it, so keep the laughs coming, the fun atmosphere is a big draw (for me at least).

Linkzg said:
what days does this come out?
We shoot for Wednesday mornings (usually around 2-3am), and that should hold true this week. Last week we were a day late because we re-recorded, though, for example.

Doytch

Listened to this after a rec in the LAN party thread...pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good. Then I listened to a bunch more while I should've been studying for finals. :D

You're in the rotation!

MrDaravon

I also picked this up as a reccomendation from the Lan Party podcast of fail thread, and this podcast is fucking great. The Ultra-Boost(TM) stuff had me in tears. Waiting for my "Random Encounter Surprise" flavor.

senahorse

Listened to the 8th episode on my way to work on Monday and it has instantly become my favourite podcast (still love you PlayerOne :D). You guys are obviously really good friends and it shows with each and every subject you converse on. Thinking it may be a fluke of an episode, I went back and listened to episode 1 yesterday and episode 2 today, and I am hooked (just as much as I was with GFW). Great mix of interesting topics with both intelligent debate and humour, but at the same time you're not shy of being childish and immature (in a good way).

You have made a permanent place in my exchange calendar, keep up the great work guys.

p.s. I loved the song from episode 2 :D

Top Bottom