• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If a Covid vaccine becomes compulsory, will you take it?

If a Covid vaccine becomes mandatory, will you take it?

• Yes, without hesitation.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • Not at first. I will hold out as long as I can.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • No, not ever. I will never take a mandatory vaccine, damn the consequences.

Votes: 56 34.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 5.5%

• Total voters

Vow

Dec 19, 2018
No. Both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are mRNA vaccines that have never been rolled out before, never mind at the unprecedented scale they’re going to be rolled out at, and for which there are no long term studies.

Weighing up the risk from Covid given my age and health status, and the risk from a little tested, experimental vaccine, I’ll take the risk of Covid every time.

Dogmatically trusting vaccines because you ostentatiously ‘trust science’, because they’re vaccines and vaccines are trustworthy in and of themselves is dumb virtue signalling.

LordCBH

Jun 4, 2020
I mean that would be a violation of people’s rights for a virus that’s not all that serious or deadly. It’s only played up this way because media and the people that want power realize fear is a powerful weapon.

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
I play on taking it anyway. I don't think you should have to take it, but I bet you workplaces start to require it.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: EHuntingon
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah sure I'll get it.

I'll go out on a limb here and guess the chances of this happening are less than dying of covid yet people will still use this as an excuse to not get the vaccine.

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
There is a lot to unpack here.

If it's mandatory, then I am sure everyone would take it.
I mean except for the people that don't take it.

I personally am all steam ahead on the vaccine.
That's great for you, and your prerogative to get the injection for yourself.

For every person I have heard that says Masks are bullshit, lockdowns are dumb, what about my freedoms, Fuck Yeah I'm American woohoo... that also refuses to get a vaccine to eliminate a virus and allow America to get back to being maskless and open... and to help your country and protect your fellow American citizen to show your patriotism... I just roll my eyes all day at the hypocrisy.
This makes zero sense. If people are in favor of freedom, of course they want freedom to make medical decisions with regard to vaccines. This is not hypocrisy in the least. This is consistent. People that claim to be for personal freedom, who also favor vaccine mandates. THEY are the hypocrites.

The thing about the coronavirus is that its a relatively simplistic virus. It's why they were confident a vaccine could be made quickly and could be very effective. The 95% + efficacy results on the vaccines were higher than expected, but also a product of the simplistic nature of the virus (that mutates moreso at the end of the strand so vaccines can work against many if not all mutations as well). It's likely to be pretty safe due to the less risk in the vaccine itself.
There seems to be a LOT of bullshit in this paragraph. It's "simplistic" yet they weren't able to create a vaccine against the original SARS-CoV (to this day). Simplistic, yet they are using never-before-approved-in-humans mRNA technology for this vaccine.

Brand new technology, brand new vaccine platform never used in humans, but you can assume "pretty safe" due to "less risk in the vaccine itself"????? What does this even mean and what are you talking about?

You have no clue what you're rambling about, do you. The only thing you're sure of is that you're in favor of universal forced vaccinations for every man woman and child regardless of any risk profiles involved (be it the virus itself or the vaccine with regard to various groups/individuals). You can kindly fuck right off.

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
So vaccines are evil to you?
They don't inherently have to be, but the companies that create them sure as hell are for numerous well documented reasons. It's funny how everyone dumps on how much big pharma sucks.... until the conversation moves to vaccines. Totally different story! (John Oliver did an episode on how evil big pharma is and detailed all their assorted malfeasance and scandals, then turned right around and did an episode on vaccines in which he apparently forgot all about the last episode he had done concerning pharma... just one example) Vaccines are the sacred cow of the health care industry. Everything else about it (insurance, malpractice, drug scandals e.g. vioxx, etc) is on the table, but not vaccines. Vaccines CANNOT be criticized! Ever!

Last edited:

Vow

Dec 19, 2018
Yeah sure I'll get it.

I'll go out on a limb here and guess the chances of this happening are less than dying of covid yet people will still use this as an excuse to not get the vaccine.
I think you’ll find the right word is reason, not excuse.

If you want to bet your own health on a guess, go for it. But if you think it should be made mandatory and the choice of whether to take it should be taken away from people, then you’re an evil cunt.

Corrik

Jan 20, 2018
Pittsburgh
This makes zero sense. If people are in favor of freedom, of course they want freedom to make medical decisions with regard to vaccines. This is not hypocrisy in the least. This is consistent. People that claim to be for personal freedom, who also favor vaccine mandates. THEY are the hypocrites.

There seems to be a LOT of bullshit in this paragraph. It's "simplistic" yet they weren't able to create a vaccine against the original SARS-CoV (to this day). Simplistic, yet they are using never-before-approved-in-humans mRNA technology for this vaccine.

Brand new technology, brand new vaccine platform never used in humans, but you can assume "pretty safe" due to "less risk in the vaccine itself"????? What does this even mean and what are you talking about?

You have no clue what you're rambling about, do you. The only thing you're sure of is that you're in favor of universal forced vaccinations for every man woman and child regardless of any risk profiles involved (be it the virus itself or the vaccine with regard to various groups/individuals). You can kindly fuck right off.
1. Yes. You have the freedom to be against vaccines. And, you chose not to be able to have an opened up America and masks. So, deal with them. Stop crying about the choices you make and the outcomes they lead to. You can't have everything your way. America doesn't exist to revolve around you.

2. It's a simplistic virus model with a spike protein later in the strain which makes mutations almost always happen later down in the virus. We know how to make vaccines. It's making vaccines that are effective due to the ability to mutate and such that the issues come from. Due to the model of the virus, we know the vaccines are relatively going to be effective due to the lack of mutations to worry about. For the Flu efficacy is about 50-60% because there a many flu strains that go around that are mutated enough that they are not covered by a single vaccine. Thus, they basically choose the strains they think are the worst and vaccinate against those. The Flu shot is not all encompassing and nowhere near as effective as what we are seeing here. I can fuck off? Sounds like a wahhhhmbulance alert on that one. Didn't like the answer and couldn't handle it.

Moral of the story is. Sometimes you have to do things for the better of your country. If they make it mandatory, guess what... you are probably getting it. They won't, but if they did, you would be. That said, luckily herd immunity only needs about 40-60% depends on r0 of a virus in optimal conditions, to be fair, so with a 95% efficacy we can afford to have a group of self-centered people and still root out the virus. But, it won't be thanks to those supposed "American-loving patriots" who refused to get it. That's for sure!

ipukespiders

Oct 9, 2006
If it's a requirement for international travel, then I suppose I'll have to.
I wouldn't take it out of fear, though - I'm not a bitch.

Corrik

Jan 20, 2018
Pittsburgh
But they have access to the vaccine in this scenario and are would be choosing to take the risk with all of us crazies.
Correct. And that is thankfully the silver lining in it... as in my post above. There can be groups that don't, and we still get to herd immunity.

The one drawback is, of course, if that group that refuses to do so is in enough number or pocketed in certain areas that they could keep bouncing around the virus over time to keep the virus still rampant, it could cause damage down the line with whenever the eventual vaccines run out of effectiveness, which won't be entirely surely known for awhile (predicted 6 months to years as of now). The main goal should be to eliminate the virus completely, which is maybe way too optimistic because even if we all did as Americans take it... we cannot account for every single being in the world itself. However, with the high efficacy, it is possibility.

Jan 2, 2011
I think you’ll find the right word is reason, not excuse.

If you want to bet your own health on a guess, go for it. But if you think it should be made mandatory and the choice of whether to take it should be taken away from people, then you’re an evil cunt.
From every source I've seen the chances of a serious adverse reaction to a vaccine are a fraction of the already minuscule chance of dying from covid. I guess from where I'm sitting I don't feel like I'm the one gambling, I'll take the better odds every time. People are understandably more leery of a new vaccine and that's perfectly fine. I just think it's silly to find one case of FDE and post it like you're at more risk of developing that than serious complications from Covid. You see the death rate posted all the time on here as affirmation as to why we shouldn't be afraid of Covid but serious complications from a vaccine are even rarer yet this isn't the first time I've seen somebody use this reason as to why they won't get it.

If you don't want the vaccine that's fine. I don't think anything should be mandatory, and this vaccine won't be either. Nobody's going to break into your house and hold you down.

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
1. Yes. You have the freedom to be against vaccines. And, you chose not to be able to have an opened up America and masks. So, deal with them. Stop crying about the choices you make and the outcomes they lead to. You can't have everything your way. America doesn't exist to revolve around you.

2. It's a simplistic virus model with a spike protein later in the strain which makes mutations almost always happen later down in the virus. We know how to make vaccines. It's making vaccines that are effective due to the ability to mutate and such that the issues come from. Due to the model of the virus, we know the vaccines are relatively going to be effective due to the lack of mutations to worry about. For the Flu efficacy is about 50-60% because there a many flu strains that go around that are mutated enough that they are not covered by a single vaccine. Thus, they basically choose the strains they think are the worst and vaccinate against those. The Flu shot is not all encompassing and nowhere near as effective as what we are seeing here. I can fuck off? Sounds like a wahhhhmbulance alert on that one. Didn't like the answer and couldn't handle it.

Moral of the story is. Sometimes you have to do things for the better of your country. If they make it mandatory, guess what... you are probably getting it. They won't, but if they did, you would be. That said, luckily herd immunity only needs about 40-60% depends on r0 of a virus in optimal conditions, to be fair, so with a 95% efficacy we can afford to have a group of self-centered people and still root out the virus. But, it won't be thanks to those supposed "American-loving patriots" who refused to get it. That's for sure!
You don't even address the matter of these mRNA vaccine platforms being totally new and never before approved. The way they arrived at those efficacy numbers also seems extremely thin and unscientific; way too many unknowns and potential confounding factors when you consider that less than 100 people were infected out of 30 or 40 plus thousand trial participants. This "science by press release" nonsense needs to stop, but the media laps it up and perpetuates it.

That ram (or whatever it is) looks more like a sheep to me. Half the country isn't going to want this barely tested, fastracked cocktail. But go ahead and feel like a patriot or whatever it is that you think you're doing.

Vow

Dec 19, 2018
From every source I've seen the chances of a serious adverse reaction to a vaccine are a fraction of the already minuscule chance of dying from covid. I guess from where I'm sitting I don't feel like I'm the one gambling, I'll take the better odds every time. People are understandably more leery of a new vaccine and that's perfectly fine. I just think it's silly to find one case of FDE and post it like you're at more risk of developing that than serious complications from Covid. You see the death rate posted all the time on here as affirmation as to why we shouldn't be afraid of Covid but serious complications from a vaccine are even rarer yet this isn't the first time I've seen somebody use this reason as to why they won't get it.

If you don't want the vaccine that's fine. I don't think anything should be mandatory, and this vaccine won't be either. Nobody's going to break into your house and hold you down.
I disagree on your assessment of risk as there is no long term data on which to base it, therefore no adequate risk profile to compare Covid with. On top of this Covid deaths are massively overstated due to changes in autopsy and death registration procedures and PCR test false positives.

However we agree that the vaccine shouldn’t be mandatory so all is good. I really hope it doesn’t have any long term effects like sterility.

Corrik

Jan 20, 2018
Pittsburgh
You don't even address the matter of these mRNA vaccine platforms being totally new and never before approved. The way they arrived at those efficacy numbers also seems extremely thin and unscientific; way too many unknowns and potential confounding factors when you consider that less than 100 people were infected out of 30 or 40 plus thousand trial participants. This "science by press release" nonsense needs to stop, but the media laps it up and perpetuates it.

That ram (or whatever it is) looks more like a sheep to me. Half the country isn't going to want this barely tested, fastracked cocktail. But go ahead and feel like a patriot or whatever it is that you think you're doing.
Do you honestly believe corporations are going to lie to you when liable? You honestly believe our government is going to erode all faith in them even further than it is now by putting something out that isn't relatively safe? Do you honestly distrust all our of scientists and regulators and such that they would actively harm the American populace? I mean, I know people truly do believe that. But, c'mon... I mean, if you don't want to get it because it is something religious or mental or so on that makes you wish not to. That's one thing. But, trying to erode faith in our medical community and government seems a bit much to go alongside it.

All I know is that about a quarter a million of American citizens have died so far, and I would like to see that stop. Alongside seeing everything opened back up, people enjoying life again, and so on. If a vaccine can reasonably help that, then I consider it my responsibility to do so. Then again, I also volunteered for the trials also. *shrug*

Aesius

May 19, 2009
Yes, I am ready for the elites to purge my worthless plebeian existence from the world so that they can accelerate their plans for the Great Reset, the Dark Winter, and the New World Order.

Reactions: makaveli60

Texas Pride

Feb 27, 2018
Texas
This thing was rushed through with minimal testing and no fucks given about any long term potentials. No I'm not taking it mandatory. People that wanted it congratulations you got it. Now shut the fuck up about masks and move it along.

Vow

Dec 19, 2018
Do you honestly believe corporations are going to lie to you when liable? You honestly believe our government is going to erode all faith in them even further than it is now by putting something out that isn't relatively safe? Do you honestly distrust all our of scientists and regulators and such that they would actively harm the American populace? I mean, I know people truly do believe that. But, c'mon... I mean, if you don't want to get it because it is something religious or mental or so on that makes you wish not to. That's one thing. But, trying to erode faith in our medical community and government seems a bit much to go alongside it.

All I know is that about a quarter a million of American citizens have died so far, and I would like to see that stop. Alongside seeing everything opened back up, people enjoying life again, and so on. If a vaccine can reasonably help that, then I consider it my responsibility to do so. Then again, I also volunteered for the trials also. *shrug*
C’mon man.

Drake

Oct 16, 2012
Hilarious that vaccines usually take years and years to produce, but this one is ready in 8 months? LMFAO. The sheep in here who are willing to inject themselves with that stuff. They have NO IDEA what the longterm effects of this will be.

But as some other leftists like to say:

Last edited:

IDKFA

Jan 15, 2017
It could never be compulsory as some people won't be able to take it. Some people have weakened immune systems due to HIV or cancer, so would not be able to take the vaccine.

However, in this hypothetical situation, then yeah. I'd take it.

Unless you have a medical condition that prevents you taking it, then there isn't any reason why you shouldn't.

I'm not sure what people think vaccines are made of, but they're pretty harmless once they've been properly tested. You're just getting a weakened part of the pathogen. this allows your immune system to easily combat, then memorise the structure of the pathogen so if you do catch the real thing, it'll know how to eliminate it, thus keeping you safe and healthy.

Sign me up so we can get back to normal.

Yes, I am ready for the elites to purge my worthless plebeian existence from the world so that they can accelerate their plans for the Great Reset, the Dark Winter, and the New World Order.
Lol. Nice parody post.

Catphish

Jan 13, 2017
Chicago, IL, USA

Companies aren’t liable for vaccine lawsuits
Exactly. Especially under these circumstances.

"In the United States, the Public Readiness and Emergency Preparedness Act provides manufacturers immunity from lawsuits related to injuries caused by vaccines, with narrow exceptions. People injured by Covid-19 vaccines must file claims with a fund administered by the Department of Health and Human Services. " Oct 28, 2020
No-Fault Compensation for Vaccine Injury — The Other Side ...
www.nejm.org › doi › full › NEJMp2030600

"Americans who suffer adverse reactions to coronavirus vaccines that the U.S. is racing to develop will have a hard time getting compensated for injuries from the drugs. "
- https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2020/08/14/579150.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe T. and Honjo

Drake

Oct 16, 2012
It could never be compulsory as some people won't be able to take it. Some people have weakened immune systems due to HIV or cancer, so would not be able to take the vaccine.

However, in this hypothetical situation, then yeah. I'd take it.

Unless you have a medical condition that prevents you taking it, then there isn't any reason why you shouldn't.

I'm not sure what people think vaccines are made of, but they're pretty harmless once they've been properly tested. You're just getting a weakened part of the pathogen. this allows your immune system to easily combat, then memorise the structure of the pathogen so if you do catch the real thing, it'll know how to eliminate it, thus keeping you safe and healthy.

Sign me up so we can get back to normal.

Lol. Nice parody post.
except that's not how this vaccine works at all. It works like no other vaccine currently out there.

prag16

Jul 12, 2012

When it comes to vaccines, corporations are rarely liable for anything. They have immunity for everything on the childhood schedule, which wouldn't cover the COVID vaccine (yet) but I recall reading special waivers were being granted for COVID vaccines as well. And depending on how much of this is done under an "emergency use authorization" rather than full approval, that could impact the situation too.

I don't know man, to each their own. But you have an alarming amount of trust in those in power in my opinion. It'll be interesting to see what happens. If this COVID vaccine situation ends up being a shit show, they will create a fuckton more "general" antivaxxers. And yeah they probably don't want to do that, but being competent isn't generally the government's strong suit.

As for the 250,000+, well, 2.7 million plus die in the US every year (all causes). 250k extra isn't insignificant, but it also isn't society-ending-disastrous. And we actually won't know for a while how many excess deaths we will ultimately end up with, if any, for the full calendar year. (And if we do end up with a lot, how many of those will be caused by the COVID response rather than COVID.) This is all insanity and the fastest way to end this is NOT a vaccine... it's to stop the mass testing of healthy/asymptomatic people, and lighten up on the contact tracing. That will drive the "case" numbers down drastically. That alone will drive down the levels of fear, and governments will lose their 'mandate' to impose draconian restrictions which cause untold severe collateral damage. It may also drive down hospitalizations and deaths somewhat too since any "with COVID" hospitalization or death counts towards the total (e.g. most hospitals have mandatory COVID testing on admit; go in with a broken leg with asymptomatic COVID, you become a "COVID hospitalization".... if you then die of an infection caused by difficult surgery on that broken leg, you are a "COVID death").

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Mar 15, 2007
I’ll hold off till it’s proven successful and not lethal but otherwise I’m pro Vax and will ask my Doc.
Me too dude. I don’t doubt the team behind the vaccine has the best interests of people, but I still want to play it safe.

Last edited:

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
except that's not how this vaccine works at all. It works like no other vaccine currently out there.
Yep. This aspect is not getting NEARLY enough air time. The TL;DR version is that intead of containing weakened or dead virus (whether parts or the whole) like most vaccines, it contains DNA fragments from the virus which enter some of your cells and reprograms the cellular machinery to churn out virus proteins (I think the infamous COVID spike protein in this case). Read that again. It is jury rigging your cells to actually construct virus proteins inside your body, which your immune system then goes on to attack by creating antibodies etc.

This is NOT the mechanism used by any other vaccine ever (at least in humans). It's totally new technology and a totally new platform. Maybe it's totally safe. But such attempts on the original SARS-CoV virus when tested on primates resulted in many deaths. And all these COVID vaccines have skipped animal trials. We haven't heard about anybody dying in one of the trials so far which is good. But this is far from a totally known / safe / precedented situation here.

Loki

Count of Concision
Jun 6, 2004
Definitely not at first. Possibly after some time depending on efficacy, side effects, and also how the virus has progressed naturally in society (i.e. if it peters out on its own). I haven't had a flu shot since age 15 (I'm not an anti-vaxxer, I just have confidence in my immune system - I only get sick 0-1 times per year, and haven't had the flu since I was a child), so I don't feel incredibly compelled to take this.

Last edited:

IDKFA

Jan 15, 2017
[QUOTE="Drake, post: 261221581, member: 113836"pt that's not how this vaccine works at all. It works like no other vaccine currently out there.
[/QUOTE]

Most vaccines work that way, including the Oxford vaccine for Covid. I understand Pfrizer and Moderna use messenger RNA technology for ease of production (no viruse needed for RNA vaccine), but isn't the end result the same?

Barnabot

Oct 16, 2018
With a gun pointed to my head followed by lots of blackmails against me: maybe?

I just don't like to be an earlier adopter in this kind of situation.

Johnny Silver

Oct 24, 2018
This vaccine will different from previous ones. It's an RNA based vaccine, it's essentially doing genetic therapy on you and we have no idea what is in that vaccine.

And they want to make it compulsory? This here would be the perfect system for systemic abuse and harm if there ever was one. The risks are extremely high and the incentives potentially very perverse.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: iconmaster

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
This vaccine will different from previous ones. It's an RNA based vaccine, it's essentially doing genetic therapy on you and we have no idea what is in that vaccine.

And they want to make it compulsory? This here would be the perfect system for systemic abuse and harm if there ever was one. The risks are extremely high and the incentives potentially very perverse.
To be fair, the government probably won't mandate it at least not any time soon. But airlines will mandate it. Banks will mandate it. Ticketmaster is cooking up a scheme to verify vaccine status for any event they promote.

It'll become literally the mark of the beast... maybe not nominally mandated, but required to buy/sell/trade with the only alternative being living out in the woods in a cabin. All for the alleged greater good though right.

Reactions: VlaudTheImpaler

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
I’m getting it. I work in with covid patients all the time. I know a couple of people from one of these trials. They had mild symptoms pretty similar to a flu shot immediately afterwards.

I really don’t have any concerns about the nature of the vaccine. Now I won’t be having my kids get it. They are very low risk both for themselves and in terms of transmission.

Reactions: iconmaster

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Nope and I will fight to my death on this hill. I've seen and heard too much deception during this pandemic to think there was anything honest about this vaccine rollout.

• The PCR tests are misused to create large numbers of positive results.
  • Those positive results are interpreted as infectious cases.
  • Rising "case" numbers give people the impression things are getting out of control.
  • Hospitals are testing liberally and misattributing covid patients/deaths.
  • Government uses the above deception to push junk science (mask mandates/lock downs) and break up large social gatherings.
  • Vaccines are presented as necessities to escape this hell created by the largest fraud in human history.

Dig into those ~95% efficacy claims and the criteria for success in those trials. Then watch how Fauci slickly deceived the public into believing those vaccines would give a person 95% protection against catching this virus, his slick language making it so the public would infer it themselves.

Johnny Silver

Oct 24, 2018
To be fair, the government probably won't mandate it at least not any time soon. But airlines will mandate it. Banks will mandate it. Ticketmaster is cooking up a scheme to verify vaccine status for any event they promote.

It'll become literally the mark of the beast... maybe not nominally mandated, but required to buy/sell/trade with the only alternative being living out in the woods in a cabin. All for the alleged greater good though right.
These globalist crooks know that the constitutions of several countries stand in their way, and they see themselves as divine. So to counter that they will resort to mass mandates through the private privileged companies their fellow crooks control, which will still make it in practice obligatory. Them they can implement the societal controls they have been salivating for years.

MastAndo

Oct 13, 2014
Remember when anti-vaxxers were the craziest mofo's around? Funny how the turntables.

I'm not taking anything unless I absolutely have to - i.e work forces me or something. I haven't even taken a flu shot since I was a kid because I'm hard like that.

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: VlaudTheImpaler

suedester

Dec 5, 2008
You know what, man, I usually keep my mouth shut with a lot of the things you say, but I'm going to point out here that this type of response is why most of your engagement on this forum is argumentative. People can have a reason to not want the vaccine, and not be an idiot. There's no need for this shit.
Very few reasons.

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
If it comes to the point where the government injecting something into your body is mandatory, we are fucked beyond belief and the vaccine itself is now the least of our problems.
I mean we're already basically there. Several vaccines are mandated for school attendance throughout the US, and some states already have no non-medical exemptions (with many more attempting to get there).

Last edited:

Vow

Dec 19, 2018
Wrong.

Reactions: Drake