• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If all future PS5 games were to be ported to PC within 2 years would you sell your PS5

If all future PS5 games were to be ported to PC within 2 years would you sell your PS5

• Yes I would sell my PS5 or i was planning to get one but won't anymore

Votes: 78 12.3%
  • No it doesn't bother me still will play on PS5

Votes: 450 70.9%
  • I don't have a PS5 or wasn't planning to get a PS5 anyways

Votes: 107 16.9%

• Total voters

Banned
PS5 uses custom parts and cannot be directly compared.
It's I/O is overall faster than any consumer gaming device.
I suggest you do some research on it before any further replies.

If a game can run on older tech theirs no way it can take advantage of the newer hardware specs like software made exclusively for the newer tech can.

Of course they don't utilize the full speed of the PS5(insomniac stated this|first gen) but it still runs SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the 5400 RPM speeds that PC software supports.

R&C RA is the best looking platform game because of tech and developer skill.

Everything else is more woulda,coulda and shoulda assumptions from you.

I am not assuming anything, I have a working brain and don't listen to PR garbage from companies that want to sell you their thing over that other thing. The GPU inside the PS5 is a low end AMD GPU that is less powerful than most of their current linup... and that's a hard fact. so why would I assume that R&C can run better on PC? I know it can... because WE KNOW the hardware it runs on currently.
EVERY Nvidia GPU from the RTX3060ti/RTX2070 Super and up is more powerful than the GPU of the PS5, and if we include RT performance it's a whole 'nother level

and about SSDs, how come we have PCs that can load stuff from an SSD faster than the SSD speeds of the PS5's internal SSD? Can the PS5 somehow magically increase the SSD speeds with it's I/O cluster? or, is it more so that they needed that cuz the CPU isn't a fully fledged desktop variant, and is also already a generation behind so freeing up CPU cylces fo games and OS is important here? mhh I wonder.

so we know how fast modern PC hardware can load data into memory... and it's faster than the PS5 can. and we are not even talking about utilizing Direct Storage or SFS for this to further boost game loading speeds.

and I also might add that PS5 games are also not designed with SSDs in mind yet. and by the time they will be (about the time after God of War 5 is out) PC games will also shift to that most likely (outside of low end Indy titles and Esports focused games)

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I am not assuming anything, I have a working brain and don't listen to PR garbage from companies that want to sell you their thing over that other thing. The GPU inside the PS5 is a low end AMD GPU that is less powerful than most of their current linup... and that's a hard fact. so why would I assume that R&C can run better on PC? I know it can... because WE KNOW the hardware it runs on currently.

and about SSDs, how come we have PCs that can load stuff from an SSD faster than the SSD speeds of the PS5's internal SSD? Can the PS5 somehow magically increase the SSD speeds with it's I/O cluster? or, is it more so that they needed that cuz the CPU isn't a fully fledged desktop variant, and is also already a generation behind? mhh I wonder.

EVERY Nvidia GPU from the RTX3060ti/RTX2070 Super and up is more powerful than the GPU of the PS5, and if we include RT performance it's a whole 'nother level
WE ALSO KNOW how fast modern PC hardware can load data into memory... and it's faster than the PS5 can. and we are not even talking about utilizing Direct Storage or SFS for this to further boost game loading speeds.

and I also might add that PS5 games are also not designed with SSDs in mind yet. and by the time they will be (about the time after God of War 5 is out) PC games will also shift to that most likely (outside of low end Indy titles and Esports focused games)
The majority of this post and your replies thus far are assumptions and I'm not replying to assumptions anymore.

I deal with what has been said and what is actually available.

You predictably said PS5 games weren't made with PS5 in mind that's why I was clear when I said exclusive and named exclusive for PS5 games.

Gow Ragnarok isn't exclusive to PS5 hardware.

Last edited:

Alphagear

Every time I see these kind of arguments about PC, I wonder if people forget that the two main reasons people buy consoles are: price and convenience.

Consoles are popular because you just buy one and play at a reasonable price. I know consoles are not plug-and-play anymore since there are software updates and whatnot but they are much more convenient than a PC.

Why do people think that if a game comes to PC there is no reason for the PS5 (or Xbox Series X) to exist? Even if ALL games in the world were on PC, people will still choose a console. This is the reason that gaming is popular now and it's more mainstream than ever before.

If you are able to by a PC as powerful (or even more) than a PC or XSX, then of course you will have the choice to decide what is the better option for you, but 95% of the people won't.

Also, Sony wouldn't even make consoles if people would sell their PS5 to buy the games on PC.

So this discussion is useless. Only the people that can afford and are into PC will want to discuss in some way.

Completely agree.

Also Sony wouldn't release games on PC if it affects their hardware sales cause people are moving to PC.

So I'm not sure why some PC gamers want that to happen. The games will stop coming to PC if it does.

I think Sony have found the perfect balance releasing games several years later which won't affect PS hardware and software sales yet allow them to also make money on PC.

Novacain

Already have a good gaming PC setup that can run these at high settings and good frame rates so yeah, if all their console exclusives end up coming to PC that significantly diminished my desire to get a PS5.

I had already been pretty underwhelmed by the newer consoles and decided to wait to get a PS5 until it was readily in stock and I could just waltz into a store and buy a bundle on a whim, but if all their games are playable on my existing hardware by then I definitely won't be buying one this gen.

Was gonna get a PS5 but no point anymore If Sony are bringing their games to PC. I don’t mind waiting to play the superior version of a game. anyway it’s not like Sony has many good games that interest me. So far only want to play Horizon Forbidden West cause I liked the first on PS4. I can even play that on my PS4. And Demons Souls. I’ve waited 12 years to play that so I’m in no rush. The only other games that I might want to play are any future From Software exclusive/Bloodborne sequel or Persona 6 if Altus don’t go multiplatform. So if I ever do get a PS5 likely it will not be for 3-4 years when it’s cheap and when there are games to play on it

thanks for saving me money sony

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
Sony`s exclusives have regularly been my personal game highlights. No way I´m delaying those by ~2+ years just because my PC has the superior hardware.
I´ll not double dip either, though.
So I guess I´m outside the target audience for the ports in general.

yurinka

They said that -at least for a while- only will keep porting some of their games, not all. And that those ported will keep enough exclusivity time, that I assume will be 2+ years. So that won't happen.

If it happens, 2 years seems enough for me, I wouldn't sell it. I don't care if PC players also play these games.

Last edited:

Akhawi

Banned
I expect all PS exclusives to come day and date to PC eventually, but even if they don't I'll just wait for them to come to PC a few years down the line anyways. I'm definitely not buying a OG PS5 what so ever, but I might get one halfway into the gen if they release a good looking PS5 Pro or something and they don't do day and date PC releases. Time will tell.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Absolutely! I want this so bad. Fuck having a 500 buck dust collector that gets turned on once every 6 months or so for an exclusive. Let someone who really wants the system and the whole PS ecosystem have the scarce hardware, I just want it to play some of the better exclusives that I can't play on my PC. Same goes for Nintendo. Microsoft did the right thing last gen.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
And to be honest who in the fuck wants to wait 2yrs+ to play the next Naughty Dog game, the sequel to Horizon or God of War? Christ it was killing me waiting for a price drop on TLOU2 before purchasing and even then I eventually give in... So to wait 2 odd years to play the game? Nah fuck that, you lot can wait and play it with the slightly better detailed mountain trees or 14000fps, I want that shit now...

Having said that if Sony where to follow MS release strategy then I'm selling the PS5 an going strictly PC and get the best of all 3 world's

Shmunter

Power and flexibility is almost never a factor for console players unless it’s console vs new console.

People are still happily playing base PS4’s despite pc power, flexibility and catalog. It’s just apples and oranges for the common man.

Guilty_AI

And to be honest who in the fuck wants to wait 2yrs+ to play the next Naughty Dog game, the sequel to Horizon or God of War?
Eh, not everyone is dying to play such games immediatly. I have some interest in Returnal for example, but its not like i don't have equal or more interest for a shitload of other titles. Rather than waiting for them, its more like they get thrown to the back of the queue.

Last edited:

FrankWza

PC is for enthusiasts. Even people who bring in low income will spend top dollar if they are an enthusiast. That's the definition of it.

After 30-some years of buying Sega 32X's and PS3's, I'm fucking tired of the absolute bullshit from these companies. I've decided to flex. No longer will I be held hostage by Microcock or Sonyfags. Now that I'm older, I'll pay top dollar to avoid these ecosystems.
I hope you’re enthusiastic about waiting for games to come to PC. You just used the terms above to describe Sony and Microsoft as an older and wiser person. What term did you used to use when you were immature? If you want to flex you just buy everything and you don’t wait.
no. my PC is also used as somewhat of a local LAN system for crossplay games. this is way more useful for Xbox games but multiplatform games are mostly crossplay nowadays as well.

just in case I have the PC, PS4 Pro and One X hooked up to the PC screen, and the Series X and PS5 are hooked up to the TV (the PC also has a 10m HDMI cable going to the TV, for those games that suck on Console but I still wanna play on the big screen on a controller... Deathloop says hi)
is Deathloop badly optimized too? because like I said, that runs way better on my PC as well, and it's not the highest end by any means. a 3060ti is a full 5 cards below Nvidia's highest end card, and I still can run its without RT at 1440p ultra well above 60fps (about 100 to 144fps depending on how much is going on), while on PS5 it runs at dynamic 1440p-1080p in the 60fps mode with a mix of medium, high end ultra settings.
with raytracing it's not perfectly locked 60fps but still pretty much 60fps 95% of the time at 1440p... turn on DLSS and it's at ~100fps while actually looking better than native because the TAA is ass in the game.

so you don't need a high end GPU to play PS5 games on PC at PS5 quality or above whatsoever.
is Death Stranding?... which, you guessed it, runs better on the 3060ti than on PS5... this is not a one off thing, basically everything runs better on a 3060ti than on the new consoles. and that's without factoring in DLSS which basically gives you free performance in many games while making the game look either the same or better

so if one of the entry model cards runs games better today, when the new cards launch next year even lower end cards will give you that kind of performance.
I know they don't... hence I used it as a comparison... because EVERY game runs better on that card... that was my point. even games running on a Sony owned engine that was basically made for AMD hardware, runs better on an entry level Nvidia card that came out a year ago, than on PS5
not even remotely, you still are among the ones that seem to think the PS5 hardware is magic, well it isn't.
also most modern games tell you to play off of an SSD or they will stutter on higher texture settings on PC. this is why in the recommended specs they nowadays list SSDs not HDDs

Ratchet would run on that card on a pretty standard PC SSD just as well as on PS5. I mean we even know that the game runs fine on super low end SSDs (ones that were artificially pushed below the lowest PCIe Gen 4 spec)
also you barely can even get PCs anymore that have an HDD installed, so that point is mute. you would need a super low end PC to get one with an HDD build in. My old Mid range PC I bought 4 years ago had a damn SSD build in lol
not even remotely, you still are among the ones that seem to think the PS5 hardware is magic, well it isn't.
also most modern games tell you to play off of an SSD or they will stutter on higher texture settings on PC. this is why in the recommended specs they nowadays list SSDs not HDDs

Ratchet would run on that card on a pretty standard PC SSD just as well as on PS5. I mean we even know that the game runs fine on super low end SSDs (ones that were artificially pushed below the lowest PCIe Gen 4 spec)
also you barely can even get PCs anymore that have an HDD installed, so that point is mute. you would need a super low end PC to get one with an HDD build in. My old Mid range PC I bought 4 years ago had a damn SSD build in lol
yeah. my 450€ laptop from 6 years ago had an SSD + HDD combo lol, It's so hard to find PCs with HDDs nowadays. and if you find them they have them as mass storage not for the main use and playing games.
like you might get a 1TB SSD and a 4TB HDD in a prebuilt PC, but only having an HDD, that is only the case in SUPER low end PCs, we are talking PCs with integrated graphics and stuff like that
not only fine, more and more games start having the same Dualsense features on PC as they do on PS5
1) a Ryzen 5 is a consumer CPU that is mid range and has the power to load data faster than the I/O cluster of the PS5

2) again, support =/= made for. you can also play every modern game on an integrated Intel HD graphics APU, that doesn't mean the games are made for that. If you play on an HDD you basically have to set your settings so low that it's like a last gen version, and you still might stutter. just because you can do that doesn't mean there aren't also settings that are better than what a PS5 could ever do

3) Both of these games don't even use the SSD speeds of the PS5 and could easily run on a gen 3 SSD on any PC, so why do you use them as examples? Ratched looks good not because it runs on some magical hardware, but because the developers did a good job of balancing their resources to run well and look good on the PS5.
that game could easily run on a mid range Nvidia GPU with RT on at higher resolutions and framerates than on PS5. that is simply a fact, we know this because other games do that already and THERE IS NO MAGIC, it's all well understood hardware that is almost PC standard tech.

and about SSDs, how come we have PCs that can load stuff from an SSD faster than the SSD speeds of the PS5's internal SSD? Can the PS5 somehow magically increase the SSD speeds with it's I/O cluster? or, is it more so that they needed that cuz the CPU isn't a fully fledged desktop variant, and is also already a generation behind so freeing up CPU cylces fo games and OS is important here? mhh I wonder.

so we know how fast modern PC hardware can load data into memory... and it's faster than the PS5 can. and we are not even talking about utilizing Direct Storage or SFS for this to further boost game loading speeds.

That’s a hell of a no.
Let’s look at a different take on no by our friend who loves a big ass.

buenoblue

Pc is nice and all but new games always seem to have a weird problem that needs fixing. If anything I buy the big tentpole games on ps5 and buy older games on sale on pc. Ryzen 3600/2070super so not the best pc. Was looking to get a 3080 but I'm not paying the crazy prices. As long as most games target 60fos on ps5 I'm happy.

It's always bin the case that if you want to play all the best games you need all the systems.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

That’s a hell of a no.
Let’s look at a different take on no by our friend who loves a big ass.
denzel washington GIF

Fbh

In a world where PC hardware is reasonably priced?
Sure.

Right now when a mid tier GPU alone costs more than a Ps5 and a Series X combined. Not really.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
Hermen Hurst already lied about "not all games will be on PC" and going by the nvidia leak he also lied about PS5 games 2 years later on pC.

Expect day and date PS5 games by next year.

Following the MS formula to irrelevancy. I don't even feel like buying a PS5 anymore. Why waste $500 on a console that's not going to be focal point in development anymore? The new people at Sony are a bunch of non gamer focused greedy idiots.

Arioco

1) a Ryzen 5 is a consumer CPU that is mid range and has the power to load data faster than the I/O cluster of the PS5

No, that's 100% wrong. Besides, the I/O cluster of PS5 is on top of the CPU power the console has. If you tried to decompress all that gigabytes/second with a Ryzen 5 without the help of Direct Storage or similar you would absolutely destroy the frame rate, because you would run out of CPU power for the gane itself.

I am not assuming anything, I have a working brain and don't listen to PR garbage from companies that want to sell you their thing over that other thing. The GPU inside the PS5 is a low end AMD GPU that is less powerful than most of their current linup...

I' just curious. In your opinion, what do you call a low end GPU? What price range are we talking about? Because if you are calling a 2070 Super or 3060 "low end" I'm afraid 99% PC users have super low end GPUs.

PaintTinJr

I probably would. It is very unlikely that the standard PC hardware - in that timeframe - will completely overlap all the PS5's design strengths, so if PlayStation are/were to design games around the lowest common denominator between PS5 and PC for easy porting, then I'd have no need for the console, and it would be one more redundant box that wouldn't justify the space it takes up in the house.

As a consequence I'd probably buy less PlayStation first party games - at full price - even when released 2years late on PC, as a lot of the games I buy are probably justified by having already fronted the cost of the hardware, first. With PC it has never been that way, because I've always bought capable PCs whether I buy new AAA games on them or not, so it isn't a cost comparison with PC vs console, the PC is getting bought regardless.

And I've not been anymore enticed to buy Xbox games on PC, or sign up to gamepass, when they weren't to my tastes to buy an XB1 for them, So if PlayStation followed Xbox, if anything selling games to me will probably get harder for PlayStation, if I'm not bought into the console hardware's design first - to own one. Every game would probably have to bring something unique in gameplay like Death Stranding.

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
I probably would. It is very unlikely that the standard PC hardware - in that timeframe - will completely overlap all the PS5's design strengths, so if PlayStation are/were to design games around the lowest common denominator between PS5 and PC for easy porting, then I'd have no need for the console, and it would be one more redundant box that wouldn't justify the space it takes up in the house.

As a consequence I'd probably buy less PlayStation first party games - at full price - even when released 2years late on PC, as a lot of the games I buy are probably justified by having already fronted the cost of the hardware, first. With PC it has never been that way, because I've always bought capable PCs whether I buy new AAA games on them or not, so it isn't a cost comparison with PC vs console, the PC is getting bought regardless.

And I've not been anymore enticed to buy Xbox games on PC, or sign up to gamepass, when they weren't to my tastes to buy an XB1 for them, So if PlayStation followed Xbox, if anything selling games to me will probably get harder for PlayStation, if I'm not bought into the console hardware's design first - to own one. Every game would probably have to bring something unique in gameplay like Death Stranding.

My sentiment exactly.

Anyway looks like they lost 12% of their best paying customers acording to this poll.

LiquidRex

With there now being a PlayStation PC arm to the business you may not see titles on PC day one, but they will be on PC within 6 months I'm sure of it.

Boglin

If Microsoft develops an equivalent to Steam Big Picture Mode that makes Windows comfortable to use with a controller then I'd do 100% of my gaming on PC.

I'd also be nice if it had a framework that allowed 3rd party stores to hook into it so all the different game launchers could run within the environment without the need for users to do a bunch of tweaks.

Swift_Star

Banned
is Deathloop badly optimized too? because like I said, that runs way better on my PC as well, and it's not the highest end by any means. a 3060ti is a full 5 cards below Nvidia's highest end card, and I still can run its without RT at 1440p ultra well above 60fps (about 100 to 144fps depending on how much is going on), while on PS5 it runs at dynamic 1440p-1080p in the 60fps mode with a mix of medium, high end ultra settings.
with raytracing it's not perfectly locked 60fps but still pretty much 60fps 95% of the time at 1440p... turn on DLSS and it's at ~100fps while actually looking better than native because the TAA is ass in the game.

so you don't need a high end GPU to play PS5 games on PC at PS5 quality or above whatsoever.
Control is still badly optimized.

Swift_Star

Banned
is Death Stranding?... which, you guessed it, runs better on the 3060ti than on PS5... this is not a one off thing, basically everything runs better on a 3060ti than on the new consoles. and that's without factoring in DLSS which basically gives you free performance in many games while making the game look either the same or better

so if one of the entry model cards runs games better today, when the new cards launch next year even lower end cards will give you that kind of performance.
Does death stranding runs with settings lower than low on PS5? I bet not. Control does because it runs at PS4 settings. I don't know what point you're trying to make here. Are you really surprised hardware that costs 2 to 3 times more than a PS5 runs games better than it? And why would I pay for that? To play God of War and other games in extreme high settings and fps... fluffy stuff that won't make any difference in my enjoyment of the game? Most people can barely see the difference between medium and high settings anyway and those things are barely noticeable in motion. Besides, both PS5 and XSX offer price/performance ratio way better than any of these PCs can ever dream of.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
If Microsoft develops an equivalent to Steam Big Picture Mode that makes Windows comfortable to use with a controller then I'd do 100% of my gaming on PC.

I'd also be nice if it had a framework that allowed 3rd party stores to hook into it so all the different game launchers could run within the environment without the need for users to do a bunch of tweaks.
Windows 8?

Top Bottom