• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If companies started making Official™ HDMI retro-systems + reprints of old games, would you buy?

Would you buy a retro system and/or reprinted games if they were Official™?

• Yes, I'd buy some mix of the system, the games, and the reprint controllers

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • Yes, but I'd only buy games

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope, I wouldn't buy any of that knockoff garbage even if it was Official™

Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Pretty simple premise: imagine SEGA comes out with an Official™ Model 4 Genesis/Mega Drive boasting HDMI out but otherwise having the same functionality as the original system. It plays same cartridges, uses same controller ports, etc. Alongside the launch of this box, SEGA also releases -- in retail cases -- 200 "greatest hits" Official™ cartridges at $xx.99 a pop. Original cartridges with a manual and everything, compatible with the new model and the original hardware. Launch some 3-button and 6-button controllers, too. Nintendo could make an N64 or NES under the same premise.

These retro-systems would be different than emulator boxes a la Turbographx Mini or SNES Mini or SNK Arcade Mini or other pre-loaded systems. Their target market would be the current retro-game collectors, a market that already has a lot of crossover with the market that is buying the Mini systems.

Would you go for this?

diffusionx

Gold Member
I have a Mega SG and Everdrive, so no. But I guess if they came out with it before Mega SG, I would have. I don't think Sega could do it better than enthusiasts though, honestly.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
No. I dont want to buy more games. It's expensive enough buying games for current systems. I dont want to rebuy an old system then rebuy individual games for it.

I do however fully support and want more retro consoles with games built in like the nes and snes classic and the genesis mini. Those are fantastic systems because they look and feel like the original systems and come with good games that I can just hook up and play. It's why I dont care about emulation because I dont want not have the time to play hundreds of games. I just want a good selection of games on something I dont have to setup and can relive those days with some games and move on.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
At that point you could just put old games on next gen consoles through online stores.

marquimvfs

If the IQ were great and the behavior is exactly the original, with no emulation and shit, sure! The only reason I keep my old consoles is to play my favorite games on the original hardware. But, that's becoming a hassle, all the different cables, upscalers and switches, the TV's that are better at retrogaming I have to handle were, hypothetically be gone!

Last edited:
I'd buy the reproduction carts that had a limited print run back in the day, definitely. Video games like Battle Mania 2 are some of the absolute best on the Mega Drive, but they're 1000$ a pop. Well, fuck me. I would absolutely love a convenient way to purchase reproduction carts of games like that.

If the cost was reduced i would absolutely get a revamped ps2 with an HD library. Not so much anything else though... GameCube was great but dolphin is easy

wvnative

Only if they can play OG disc...

Actually, that is my dream, to see old consoles re-released with modern adjustments like wireless controllers, and HDMI.

Blond

Banned
No. I dont want to buy more games. It's expensive enough buying games for current systems. I dont want to rebuy an old system then rebuy individual games for it.

I do however fully support and want more retro consoles with games built in like the nes and snes classic and the genesis mini. Those are fantastic systems because they look and feel like the original systems and come with good games that I can just hook up and play. It's why I dont care about emulation because I dont want not have the time to play hundreds of games. I just want a good selection of games on something I dont have to setup and can relive those days with some games and move on.

You're quite literally paying for a Raspberry Pi and a custom retroarch menu. Just pick the roms you want and call it a day lol. No one is expecting anyone to play a consoles entire discography lol.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It would be nice. But it’s a pipe dream. A very expensive, very cumbersome, highly unfeasible pipe dream.

Nobody wants the plastic, except enthusiasts. Reproduction pads exist to get the feel of the old controllers. There’s still no perfect way of reproducing the motion and the look of CRT screens those games were made for. And complete libraries are never going to be a thing due to rights-related reasons. In a not-so-perfect world, you’d at least get old games anthologies on all systems, with the same options and performance. But the reality is that not even something like the Sega Genesis Collection has the same games on all platforms, and Nintendo’s retro game services have all featured different games on every platform they've been available on.

In the real world, not even the rightful owners of the games always manage to provide an experience that’s on par with what free emulators can offer. Look at SquareEnix butchering their legendary RPGs one way or the other, and asking good money for that.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
nope let the community handle it.
they passed that ship a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago

cireza

Banned
No, I have all the original consoles plugged and ready to go. And these consoles are meant to be displayed through RGB on a CRT anyway.

But if they resumed development on Dreamcast, I would definitely buy the new games. After all, Xeno Crisis is one of the best games on 2019.

Last edited:
Top Bottom