• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If ESPN NFL 2K5 Does Not Sell Well, Is It The End Of The Line?

BojTrek

Banned
I plan on picking up two copies of ESPN NFL 2K5 for the x-Box when it is released... one for me and one for a buddy of mine... I owe him a game...

Anyways... the game looks incredible and for $19.99 you cannot beat the price...

What if this game does not sell well? Will this be the last year we see a Sega Sports NFL game? Or will they give it one more shot on the new systems?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I sure hope not. They've held on this long. Isn't this the last year Madden will be called 'Madden'? I thought I read that somewhere.

If that is the case, VC should take advantage of that.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I think the series is done for if it doesn't sell. $19.99 is a very tempting price, and if people still ignore it, why bother?

With Sammy on board, this is pretty much it. If it doesn't do well they're going to give up I think. Like Wario said, if people don't want to buy them then there's no reason for Sega to keep funding the games.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
if sega's going to waste money on games no one buys, i'd rather they waste it on a new panzer dragoon or jet set radio. realistic sports games are stupid.

DaCocoBrova

People do buy this game though.

realistic sports games are stupid.

Yet you come into a thread about a realistic sports game.

cja

Take Two say they're committed to the 2K series long-term and are contractually obligated for three years. They do plan to bump the price up when next-gen consoles arrive.

DaCocoBrova

Wow. Thanks for the information.

Hold on VC... The light is just up ahead!

Every single Madden-nite that came over my place to play ESPN ended up buying the game. Some that same day even.

TaleSynz

I actually don't know to many Madden Fans NOT getting this game. 20 $...you cant beat that with a baseball bat. I can spend $20 on a football game be dissapointed with it and still feel like I wasnt robbed.

Plus, I don't think I would be able to run through all the features this game is promising in a 5 day blockbuster rental.

Still though...chances of this game replacing Madden 2005 and NCAA 2005 as my top football options are slim.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Little features I'm salivating at:

Being able to map sound "clips" from custom soundtracks for 1st Downs, Penalties et al. and the VIP system where you can play against your friends tendencies even when you're solo. Good shit.

DaCocoBrova said:
I sure hope not. They've held on this long. Isn't this the last year Madden will be called 'Madden'? I thought I read that somewhere.

If that is the case, VC should take advantage of that.

That was a BS rumor (probably from an overzealous Sega fan) that said Madden was leaving EA for Sega.

DaCocoBrova

No, the Madden thing had nothing to do w/ Sega. If you knew how much $$ Madden has been getting for his name/likeness, the notion seems logical.

DaCocoBrova said:
No, the Madden thing had nothing to do w/ Sega. If you knew how much $$ Madden has been getting for his name/likeness, the notion seems logical.

The rumor posted here definitely said he was leaving EA for Sega. And it doesn't really seem logical. He makes a good deal from the use of his image, but EA makes a good deal more.

DaCocoBrova

Madden isn't why people buy the game though. If EA could profit millions more every year w/ out him, then they should. The sheep will still buy it.

people seem to resent EA for their own success. EA has built up their brand name over time, why would anyone expect sega to come in and just take those sales away like nothing? EA has earned the trust and respect of its customers. VC is slowly building up its name. part of the problem is that many people associate VC with Sega, and most people associate sega with failed systems like dreamcast and saturn (hey, i like both systems too, but they were failures and died prematurely) and that just doesn't sit right with them when buying games either. but for $20 who knows

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I think it will be real trouble for the sports division is this doesn't make a dramatic impact. It should, though. To be honest...after last year I would not pick up both (Madden only) for full price. At $20 I guarantee I will. Good move.

Lil' Dice

Banned
If the ESPN/2K football series dies, i'm fucking done with football games.
I tried playing Madden 2002-2004 but i just don't enjoy them like i did in the Genesis days.

They're just not fun to me....

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
FrenchMovieTheme said:
people seem to resent EA for their own success. EA has built up their brand name over time, why would anyone expect sega to come in and just take those sales away like nothing? EA has earned the trust and respect of its customers. VC is slowly building up its name. part of the problem is that many people associate VC with Sega, and most people associate sega with failed systems like dreamcast and saturn (hey, i like both systems too, but they were failures and died prematurely) and that just doesn't sit right with them when buying games either. but for $20 who knows

It really isn't that deep, to be honest. Most ppl just say "It's not Madden? Not even looking at it". Sega could be more successful than anyone, still wouldn't matter.

Top Bottom